|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How was Dovey related to Balakian's grandmother?
(a) Dovey was Nafina's second cousin.
(b) They were sisters.
(c) They were cousins.
(d) Dovey was Nafina's niece.
2. How many Armenians out of one group of 18,000 reached the city of Aleppo after their march?
3. What does the name Zivart mean in Armenian?
4. How many Turks did the Turkish-American groups claim had died during World War I?
(a) 2 million.
(b) 3 million.
(c) 2.5 million.
(d) 1.5 million.
5. What did Balakian say best represented his family's assimilation in American society?
(a) His father's medical practice.
(b) His family's life in suburbia.
(c) His family's country club membership.
(d) His family's education.
Short Answer Questions
1. What city managed to protect itself from Turkish invaders in the 17th century, thereby stopping the expansion of Ottoman power throughout Western Europe?
2. When was the Umayyad Mosque built?
3. At what age were young boys forcibly conscripted as Janissaries for the Ottoman Empire?
4. Where was the Armenian King Leo V buried?
5. According to the quote from Ambassador Morgenthau, for how many days did the 18,000 Armenians march, before arriving in Aleppo during an early death march?
Short Essay Questions
1. How has the Turkish government used its influence to prevent honest discussion of the Armenian genocide over the years?
2. Why was Balakian so affected by his visit to Aleppo, Syria?
3. What was significant about the murder of 250 Armenian intellectuals on the eve of the genocide and what was significant about Bishop Balakian's survival?
4. Why is Der Zor considered the Armenian equivalent of Auschwitz?
5. What was Nafina's reaction to the Japanese bombing of Pearl Harbor?
6. How has Turkey's denial of the genocide affected its development as a modern nation?
7. How does genocide denial affect the survivors and their descendants?
8. What was the deeper significance of the 500 pairs of shoes stolen by the Turks from Balakian's grandfather?
9. What were the Young Turks like in terms of personality and education?
10. How did the atmosphere of Syria differ from that of Lebanon when Balakian visited in 2005?
This section contains 1,027 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)