|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In his discussion of his Aunt Anna's education, what did Balakian say was the percentage of female PhD's in the early 1940s?
2. What kind of business did Dovey's family run in the United States?
(b) Dry cleaning.
(c) Office cleaning.
3. In what decade did Abdul Hamid massacre Armenians?
4. What movie was being played at the Times Square theater when Balakian spoke at the commemoration?
(a) Sophie's Choice.
(b) Schindler's List.
(c) The Killing Fields.
(d) Apocalpyse Now.
5. What item, stolen from her family by the Turks, did Balakian's grandmother find in the home of a family in Aleppo?
(a) A silver tea set.
(b) A wall hanging.
(c) A rug.
(d) A painting.
Short Answer Questions
1. How old was Aunt Gladys when the deportations began?
2. Where was Balakian giving the poetry reading which his Aunt Anna attended?
3. Until what year were Christians forbidden to serve in the Ottoman army?
4. What job was Balakian working at when he began reading as much as he could about the Armenian genocide, in "Before the Nazis"?
5. In what city was Bishop Balakian buried?
Short Essay Questions
1. How was the Armenian-Lebanese town of Anjar settled?
2. Why did Balakian question his failure to ask questions as a child when he saw the names of the dead listed on his grandmother's compensation documents?
3. Why were the orders for deportation of all Armenians into the Syrian desert the equivalent of a death sentence?
4. How has the Turkish government used its influence to prevent honest discussion of the Armenian genocide over the years?
5. Why did Balakian take the bones from the memorial site at Der Zor?
6. How did American Ambassador Morgenthau attempt to help the Armenians?
7. Why is Der Zor considered the Armenian equivalent of Auschwitz?
8. Why did the Armenians form reform movements under Ottoman rule during the 1890s?
9. Why was Balakian surprised the Syrian government suppressed published works about the Armenian genocide?
10. Why did Balakian eventually come to see his family's silence about the genocide as a gift?
This section contains 1,000 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)