|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How long had Syria occupied Lebanon when Balakian visited?
(a) 20 years.
(b) 33 years.
(c) 29 years.
(d) 25 years.
2. What was the Syrian government doing when the bones of Der Zor victims were dug up?
(a) Probing for natural gas.
(b) Constructing a highway.
(c) Planning a new city.
(d) Probing for oil.
3. In what year was Haigazian University founded?
4. What is a hamal?
(a) Dock loader.
(c) Turkish police officer.
(d) Government official.
5. What job was Balakian working at when he began reading as much as he could about the Armenian genocide, in "Before the Nazis"?
(a) Bike messenger.
(b) UPS deliver man.
(d) Mail runner.
Short Answer Questions
1. When did the first Armenian genocide resolution come before the U.S. Congress?
2. What was the Black Arrow?
3. In what nation is Nagorno-Karabagh currently located?
4. How many Turks did the Turkish-American groups claim had died during World War I?
5. How was Dovey related to Balakian's grandmother?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why did Balakian take the bones from the memorial site at Der Zor?
2. How has Turkey's denial of the genocide affected its development as a modern nation?
3. How does numbness help people who have endured great horrors?
4. Why is Der Zor considered the Armenian equivalent of Auschwitz?
5. Why did Balakian eventually come to see his family's silence about the genocide as a gift?
6. Why was Balakian surprised the Syrian government suppressed published works about the Armenian genocide?
7. Why was Balakian so affected by his visit to Aleppo, Syria?
8. Why were the orders for deportation of all Armenians into the Syrian desert the equivalent of a death sentence?
9. What was the deeper significance of the way in which Dovey's father was killed?
10. Why did Aunt Anna likely embrace surrealism rather than realism in literature?
This section contains 892 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)