|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How was Dovey related to Balakian's grandmother?
(a) Dovey was Nafina's niece.
(b) Dovey was Nafina's second cousin.
(c) They were sisters.
(d) They were cousins.
2. In what year did the UN declare genocide a crime against humanity?
3. In what city did Balakian's co-worker Jimmy grow up?
4. About how many Armenians were sent on the forced marches into the desert during the first six months of the genocide?
(a) 1.2 million.
(b) 1.8 million.
(c) 1.5 million.
5. What disease did Balakian's grandmother almost die from when the family was in Aleppo?
Short Answer Questions
1. In what decade did Abdul Hamid massacre Armenians?
2. Where was Balakian giving the poetry reading which his Aunt Anna attended?
3. What is involved in the torture method called bastinado?
4. According to the quote from Ambassador Morgenthau, for how many days did the 18,000 Armenians march, before arriving in Aleppo during an early death march?
5. In what year was Morgenthau appointed ambassador to Turkey?
Short Essay Questions
1. What did Dovey mean when she said that Turkish culture was theft?
2. What was the deeper significance of the 500 pairs of shoes stolen by the Turks from Balakian's grandfather?
3. According to Aunt Gladys, why did the Armenians in America never talk about the genocide?
4. Why is Der Zor considered the Armenian equivalent of Auschwitz?
5. How did Balakian's aunts justify the family's inability to talk about the genocide when he was a child?
6. What was significant about Nafina's attempt to seek compensation from the Turkish government by filing documents in the United States?
7. Why did the Armenians form reform movements under Ottoman rule during the 1890s?
8. Why did Aunt Anna likely embrace surrealism rather than realism in literature?
9. Why did Balakian question his failure to ask questions as a child when he saw the names of the dead listed on his grandmother's compensation documents?
10. Why did Balakian eventually come to see his family's silence about the genocide as a gift?
This section contains 1,021 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)