|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What item, stolen from her family by the Turks, did Balakian's grandmother find in the home of a family in Aleppo?
(a) A wall hanging.
(b) A silver tea set.
(c) A painting.
(d) A rug.
2. What is a hamal?
(b) Turkish police officer.
(c) Government official.
(d) Dock loader.
3. How did Dovey's daughter Margaret die?
(b) Brain tumor.
(c) Skin cancer.
(d) Breast cancer.
4. In what part of Syria is Der Zor located?
5. Why was Dr. Reyhadi refused admittance into the Balakian's country club?
(a) He was black.
(b) He was Persian.
(c) He was Muslim.
(d) He was Jewish.
Short Answer Questions
1. About how many Armenians were sent on the forced marches into the desert during the first six months of the genocide?
2. How many katchkars were at the Holy Martyrs Armenian Church in Der Zor?
3. What is involved in the torture method called bastinado?
4. In what year was the term genocide coined?
5. According to a 1996 article in the New York Times, what did Turkey lead all other nations in?
Short Essay Questions
1. What was the deeper significance of the 500 pairs of shoes stolen by the Turks from Balakian's grandfather?
2. Why did the Armenians form reform movements under Ottoman rule during the 1890s?
3. How did the atmosphere of Syria differ from that of Lebanon when Balakian visited in 2005?
4. What was the deeper significance of the way in which Dovey's father was killed?
5. What did Dovey mean when she said that Turkish culture was theft?
6. How does genocide denial affect the survivors and their descendants?
7. How did American Ambassador Morgenthau attempt to help the Armenians?
8. How did Balakian's aunts justify the family's inability to talk about the genocide when he was a child?
9. Why was Balakian so affected by his visit to Aleppo, Syria?
10. Why did Balakian eventually come to see his family's silence about the genocide as a gift?
This section contains 1,021 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)