|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What team was Columbia playing when the fan had a heart attack?
2. How many children were in the Wall family?
3. Why was Balakian's father unable to serve during World War II?
(a) Poor hearing.
(b) High blood pressure.
(c) Poor eyesight.
(d) A limp.
4. What was the lowest mark Balakian's female relatives gave to the houses they viewed during their Sunday drives?
(a) Hum hum.
5. Where did the Ottoman Turks originally come from?
Short Answer Questions
1. What kind of car did the Aroosian women drive during their house-viewing expeditions in 1958?
2. What is pakht?
3. In what year did Roman Emperor Constantine turn Byzantium into the imperial residence?
4. At what age did Peter Balakian begin attending Columbia football games with his father?
5. What is the significance of Mt. Ararat?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did sports help heal the rift between Balakian and his father?
2. How did Balakian react to seeing his father perform emergency medical care to the heart attack victim at the football game?
3. Did Balakian's father have a strong connection to Constantinople, and how did that reflect the city's tumultuous history?
4. How did Balakian's family's obsession with style reflect their history?
5. How did Balakian's grandmother establish a strong bond with him through cooking?
6. How did Balakian's grandmother react to the assault against the man on the city bus?
7. What was Balakian's reaction to the folktales his grandmother would frequently tell him?
8. Why was Balakian's Aunt Anna so opposed to American suburbia?
9. How did Balakian's mother's behavior at the restaurant in France reflect her cultured upbringing?
10. Describe Balakian' s father.
This section contains 906 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)