|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In what year was the Treaty of Lausanne signed?
2. In what city was the attorney's office which helped Balakian's grandmother file the compensation claim?
(b) Atlantic City.
(c) New York.
3. When was the Umayyad Mosque built?
(a) Early seventh century.
(b) Early ninth century.
(c) Late eighth century.
(d) Early eighth century.
4. In what year did Balakian's grandmother give a commemorative speech about the genocide?
5. What senator pushed for a 75th anniversary commemoration bill in 1989?
(a) Daniel Anouye.
(b) Ted Stevens.
(c) Robert Dole.
(d) Robert Byrd.
6. In what year was the term genocide coined?
7. What happened when 2,000 starving Armenian women and children stumbled through Aleppo, Syria in 1915?
(a) The Turkish officers attacked local Syrians.
(b) The Turkish officers ordered the Armenians removed.
(c) The local Syrians joined in attacking the Armenians.
(d) The local Syrians attacked Turkish officers.
8. What did Talaat Pasha predict the economic loss of the Armenians would be when he spoke to Morgenthau?
(a) Five million pounds.
(b) Ten million pounds.
(c) Two million pounds.
(d) Seven million pounds.
9. Along with Constantinople and Baku, what was considered one of the three cosmopolitan centers of Armenian culture?
10. In what year was Morgenthau appointed ambassador to Turkey?
11. In what city was Bishop Balakian buried?
12. In what German city did Diran Balakian study medicine?
13. What did the U.S. House of Representatives do in May 1996 as a protest against Turkish denials of the genocide?
(a) They recalled the U.S. Ambassdor.
(b) They passed a resolution.
(c) They cut aid to Turkey.
(d) They refused to sell military planes to Turkey.
14. How many katchkars were at the Holy Martyrs Armenian Church in Der Zor?
15. In what year did Armenian refuges settle in Anjar?
Short Answer Questions
1. How many Armenian children were in the school photograph taken in Aleppo in 1920?
2. What movie was being played at the Times Square theater when Balakian spoke at the commemoration?
3. When did Hitler mention the fact that nobody now remembered the Armenians?
4. What did Balakian say best represented his family's assimilation in American society?
5. In what part of Syria is Der Zor located?
This section contains 390 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)