|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is bakshish?
(a) A legal document.
(b) A bribe.
(c) A salesperson.
(d) An army.
2. Where were the Roman ruins visited by Balakian in Syria, after his visit to Der Zor?
3. According to a 1996 article in the New York Times, what did Turkey lead all other nations in?
(a) The number of human rights activists executed.
(b) The number of imprisoned journalists.
(c) The number of imprisoned politicians.
(d) The number of professors fired for their political activism.
4. How was Dovey related to Balakian's grandmother?
(a) They were sisters.
(b) Dovey was Nafina's niece.
(c) They were cousins.
(d) Dovey was Nafina's second cousin.
5. In what year was Haigazian University founded?
6. In what year did Balakian's grandmother give a commemorative speech about the genocide?
7. When did the first Armenian genocide resolution come before the U.S. Congress?
8. In what year did a devastating earthquake hit Armenia?
9. In what month and year did Balakian's grandmother initiate formal compensation claims against the Turkish government?
(a) April 1918.
(b) May 1919.
(c) May 1921.
(d) June 1920.
10. Where was the Armenian King Leo V buried?
(a) St. Denis.
11. When did Hitler mention the fact that nobody now remembered the Armenians?
(a) A week before the invading France.
(b) During the Wansee Conference.
(c) A week before invading Poland.
(d) Right before Kristallnacht.
12. According to the quote from Ambassador Morgenthau, for how many days did the 18,000 Armenians march, before arriving in Aleppo during an early death march?
(a) Eighty days.
(b) Sixty days.
(c) Seventy days.
(d) Ninety days.
13. In what city was the attorney's office which helped Balakian's grandmother file the compensation claim?
(a) New York.
(c) Atlantic City.
14. Until what year were Christians forbidden to serve in the Ottoman army?
15. Why was Dr. Reyhadi refused admittance into the Balakian's country club?
(a) He was black.
(b) He was Jewish.
(c) He was Persian.
(d) He was Muslim.
Short Answer Questions
1. In what part of Syria is Der Zor located?
2. What is involved in the torture method called bastinado?
3. Where did Nafina and Dovey bump into each other in New York, several years after the genocide?
4. What movie was being played at the Times Square theater when Balakian spoke at the commemoration?
5. How many Turks did the Turkish-American groups claim had died during World War I?
This section contains 390 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)