|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What was the Black Arrow?
(a) French warship.
(b) British warship.
(c) American warship.
(d) German warship.
2. In what year did Armenian refuges settle in Anjar?
3. In what German city did Diran Balakian study medicine?
4. Who wrote The Nazi Doctors?
(a) Heath Lowry.
(b) Robert Jay Lifton.
(c) Bernard Lewis.
(d) Norman Itzkowitz.
5. What did Balakian say best represented his family's assimilation in American society?
(a) His father's medical practice.
(b) His family's life in suburbia.
(c) His family's education.
(d) His family's country club membership.
6. When was the Umayyad Mosque built?
(a) Early ninth century.
(b) Late eighth century.
(c) Early seventh century.
(d) Early eighth century.
7. What happened when 2,000 starving Armenian women and children stumbled through Aleppo, Syria in 1915?
(a) The Turkish officers ordered the Armenians removed.
(b) The Turkish officers attacked local Syrians.
(c) The local Syrians joined in attacking the Armenians.
(d) The local Syrians attacked Turkish officers.
8. In what year was Morgenthau appointed ambassador to Turkey?
9. In what year did the UN declare genocide a crime against humanity?
10. In what year was Ambassador Morgenthau's Story published?
11. About how many Armenians were sent on the forced marches into the desert during the first six months of the genocide?
(a) 1.5 million.
(c) 1.2 million.
(d) 1.8 million.
12. What city managed to protect itself from Turkish invaders in the 17th century, thereby stopping the expansion of Ottoman power throughout Western Europe?
13. In what city did Balakian's co-worker Jimmy grow up?
14. Who was Zia Gokalp?
(a) The Turkish Foreign Minister.
(b) The Turkish propadandist.
(c) The Turkish military commander.
(d) The Turkish head of state.
15. In what city was the attorney's office which helped Balakian's grandmother file the compensation claim?
(a) Atlantic City.
(c) New York.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is a hamal?
2. What is bakshish?
3. How old was Aunt Gladys when the deportations began?
4. In what year was the memoir Armenian Golgotha reissued (in Armenian)?
5. Who was the only invader to have successfully stormed the massive walls built in Aleppo by Ghazi?
This section contains 341 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)