|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Anna to do while Stern is inside with the gas cylinders in Chapter 33?
2. What is Rachel concealing that Sturm attempts to confiscate?
3. Who do McConnell and Stern meet when they land?
4. What does Brigadier Smith hear while monitoring the radio in Chapter 47?
5. What does Himmler call and instruct Brandt to do to his laboratory in Chapter 37?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Brandt ask to meet with Schorner in Chapter 31, and how does Schorner react?
2. Describe the conversation between Anna and Ariel in Chapter 38.
3. In Chapter 42, how does Schorner deal with Stern and what does he realize about Anna?
4. Who is Sabine, and why does she become a problem for Mark, Stern, and Anna?
5. What do Ariel and Jonas find when they escape in Chapter 46, and what is there next move?
6. How does Stern handle his encounter with Sturm and his men and how does Sturm respond?
7. Why does Sturm decide to harass Rachel in Chapter 26?
8. Describe what happens during Mark and Stern's return to Anna's cottage after retrieving the cylinders.
9. In Chapter 22 what happens to Stern when he visits the women's block at Totenhausen Camp?
10. Describe what happens when the gas is deployed in Chapter 46 and how Sturm is killed.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What characteristics of Jonas Stern betray the persona he strives for, and how do they perpetuate it? Provide examples.
Essay Topic 2
Which characters are present in the novel as the protagonist and the antagonist? Why are these characters labeled in this way?
Essay Topic 3
How does Stern finding that his father is still alive at Totenhausen camp affect the story?
This section contains 843 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)