|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Schorner admit he overlooked Anna as a possible traitor?
2. What is Anna to place when she returns to work the next day in Chapter 36?
3. How does Jonas deliver the cylinders to the camp in Chapter 32?
4. What causes Jonas to drive the ferry blindly?
5. What news does the soldier who arrives inform Schorner of in Chapter 27?
Short Essay Questions
1. What do Jonas and Mark realize about the sky and what do they try and do about the problem it presents?
2. What does Stern tell Mark about their mission in Chapter 28?
3. Why does Brandt ask to meet with Schorner in Chapter 31, and how does Schorner react?
4. What events lead to Frau Hagan's death in Chapter 29?
5. What stops the argument between Schorner and Sturm in Chapter 26?
6. In Chapter 22 what happens to Stern when he visits the women's block at Totenhausen Camp?
7. What happens when Stern notices five men standing between the Women's Block and E Block?
8. Why does Anna kill Milkos in Chapter 35?
9. What scene does Schorner arrive just in time to see in Chapter 26?
10. Describe Brandt's test in Chapter 39.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What characteristics of Jonas Stern betray the persona he strives for, and how do they perpetuate it? Provide examples.
Essay Topic 2
How would the story be different if Mark did not think his brother had died due to Smith's manipulation?
Essay Topic 3
How does the first person point-of-view enhance and inhibit the story? How would the novel be different if a different point of view were used?
This section contains 963 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)