|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Mark believe the Allies should do if they do indeed have the gas they claim to have?
2. What does Mark want Smith to know in Chapter 22?
3. How many people does Smith tell Jonas are in the camp in Chapter 17?
4. What does Schorner provide Rachel and her children per Rachel's agreement?
5. What motivates McConnell to embark on his mission?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Smith tell Stern about Mark McConnell?
2. Why does Mark write two letters in Chapter 14 and what do his letters say?
3. Who is Mark McConnell in 1944, and what is his involvement with Brigadier Smith?
4. What does the telegram say that Mark receives in Chapter 10?
5. Why does Mark think details of the mission are being kept from him?
6. Who is Sir Donald Cameron and how does Mark feel about him?
7. Why does Stern believe Smith has an informant at the Totenhausen Camp?
8. What do Smith and Stern discuss in Chapter 7?
9. When Eisenhower refuses to endorse his plan, what does Churchill do?
10. What does Mark think about Sarin gas?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What characteristics of Jonas Stern betray the persona he strives for, and how do they perpetuate it? Provide examples.
Essay Topic 2
Choose one of the main themes in this novel (manipulation, contradictions in crime, anti-Semitism, etc.) and detail its recurrences throughout the novel. What does it add to the novel? How does it affect the difference characters?
Essay Topic 3
What traits do the surviving prisoners in this story display as a whole, and how do you think these traits benefit their ability to survive?
This section contains 863 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)