|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Mark find a piece of in his grandfather's safe?
2. What item that SS troops do not carry tells Stern that the camp is expendable?
3. What does the Shoemaker see on E-Block that horrifies him?
4. What does Mark do to confirm his brother's death?
5. What will Stern and McConnell have to do once they find the cylinders on the pylons?
Short Essay Questions
1. What do Mark and Jonas suspect about Brigadier Smith in Chapters 10 and 11?
2. What happens when McConnell and Stern arrive at Achnacarry Castle in Chapter 16?
3. What does Mark think about Sarin gas?
4. Why does Mark write two letters in Chapter 14 and what do his letters say?
5. Describe what Mark finds in his grandfather's safe.
6. Why does Schorner ask to see Rachel in Chapter 20?
7. Describe Mark's meeting with Smith in Chapter 22.
8. In Chapter 25, what happens when Sergeant McShane and his men land in Germany with the cylinders?
9. Why does Rabbi Liebovitz approach Mark McConnell III and what does he tell him?
10. What does Smith learn about Stern in Chapter 6?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What traits do the surviving prisoners in this story display as a whole, and how do you think these traits benefit their ability to survive?
Essay Topic 2
How does Mark McConnell or Jonas Stern change throughout the novel? Detail the changes he makes and the reasons behind those changes.
Essay Topic 3
How does the first person point-of-view enhance and inhibit the story? How would the novel be different if a different point of view were used?
This section contains 873 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)