|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Mark tell his wife Susan in the letter he writes her?
2. What does Frau Hagan tell Rachel she should do in Chapter 13?
3. What is Anna out doing in the middle of the night in Northern Germany?
4. How many people does Smith tell Jonas are in the camp in Chapter 17?
5. What does Hagan tell Rachel about Brandt in Chapter 19?
Short Essay Questions
1. In Chapter 17, what does Stern learn about the mission from Smith?
2. What does Rachel learn about Brandt and Anna in Chapter 19?
3. What do Mark and Jonas suspect about Brigadier Smith in Chapters 10 and 11?
4. What does Frau Hagan tell Rachel in Chapter 13?
5. Who is Sir Donald Cameron and how does Mark feel about him?
6. When Eisenhower refuses to endorse his plan, what does Churchill do?
7. Why does Mark write two letters in Chapter 14 and what do his letters say?
8. Describe Rachel's interactions with Schorner in Chapter 23.
9. What are Smith's instructions to Stern in Chapter 24?
10. In Chapter 9, what does Mark think about while sitting in his lab in Oxford?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
As there are many, please describe and compare three instances of manipulation of the characters and the results of these manipulations.
Essay Topic 2
What role does race and nationality play in "Black Cross"? What different nationalities are represented and by which characters? How is this important?
Essay Topic 3
What characteristics of Jonas Stern betray the persona he strives for, and how do they perpetuate it? Provide examples.
This section contains 900 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)