|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Hagan tell Rachel about Brandt in Chapter 19?
2. What does Smith tell Jonas they must avoid at all costs?
3. What have the prisoners in the Totenhausen Camp been called for in Chapter 12?
4. What does Mark do to confirm his brother's death?
5. What does Frau Hagan tell Rachel she should do in Chapter 13?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens when McConnell and Stern arrive at Achnacarry Castle in Chapter 16?
2. How does Rachel earn the position of guard in Chapter 15?
3. How does Mark earn Stern's admiration in Chapter 21?
4. Describe Mark's meeting with Smith in Chapter 22.
5. Why does Stern believe Smith has an informant at the Totenhausen Camp?
6. Why does Mark write two letters in Chapter 14 and what do his letters say?
7. Why does Schorner ask to see Rachel in Chapter 20?
8. In Chapter 25, what happens when Sergeant McShane and his men land in Germany with the cylinders?
9. What does Frau Hagan tell Rachel in Chapter 13?
10. What does Smith learn about Stern in Chapter 6?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How do the characters of Anna Kaas and Rachel Jansen differ in their methods of survival?
Essay Topic 2
There are two moments when Avram Stern is advised by his son to flee Germany, and in both instances, he refuses. Why do you believe he has done this, and how do these choices affect the other characters?
Essay Topic 3
How is foreshadowing used in "Black Cross"? Choose one major instance of foreshadowing and follow it through the book, finishing with how the event is fulfilled.
This section contains 938 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)