|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why are Tess and the Principal of the school angry with Dave?
2. Who gives him a ride to the reservation?
3. How does Dave offend Darlene?
4. Who does Dio think is harassing him?
5. What does Dave do while sleeping?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Tess Reagan tell Dave and do you think is response is ethical?
2. What event foreshadows a future event in the book?
3. What happens at the lake and what does this incident reinforce to the reader about Dave's personality?
4. What does Dio want when he calls Dave, and what is Dave's response?
5. How does Cletus save Dave's wife and do you think he and Dave are more alike than first seemed?
6. Why does Dave believe Darlene's life is in danger?
7. What happens that seems to indicate that Dixie Lee may finally be getting his life back on track?
8. Why is Dave rushing to Cletus' home and what does he find?
9. How is it obvious that Dave is starting to feel desperate?
10. Is Dave's response to Cletus taking Charlie out of the house ethical?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Black Cherry Blues is considered a crime/murder mystery, a sub-genre of fiction. Discuss the following:
1. Define genre and then specifically crime/murder mystery.
2. What do you think is the difference between a suspense novel and a murder mystery?
3. Many in the world of academe do not see mystery as a serious genre, that its primary purpose is entertainment and not "worthy" of being studied by serious students of literature? Respond to that idea.
Essay Topic 2
It is obvious Dave dearly loves Alafair, his daughter, but at times, he seems to make decisions that are perhaps not in her best interest. Discuss the following:
1. Dave goes to the Sheriff who cannot help Dave when Dave first receives the letter with the implied threat against Alafair. Because the Sheriff says he cannot help Dave, does this mean it's the wises thing to do to beat up these men when getting thrown in jail will perhaps leave Alafair vulnerable?
2. Is it wise for Dave to given in to Alafair's pleading and take her with him to Montana? Would it have been more harmful to be separated from her father when her mother's death is still not in the too-distant past?
3. Is there anything Dave could have/should have done differently concerning Alafair throughout the story?
Essay Topic 3
Dave's wife is murdered in a previous novel in this series. Discuss the following:
1. How much do you think Dave's wife's murder influences how he behaves in this novel?
2. Do you think Dave is doing a good job of parenting Alafair alone? Why, or why not?
3. How do you think Darlene's murder coming not that long after his wife's murder impacts Dave?
This section contains 1,244 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)