|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Dave write in a letter to Dio?
2. Who does the man in Dave's house turn out to be?
3. What is the apparent cause of Darlene's death?
4. What was injured by a boat?
5. What does Dave believe about Darlene's death?
Short Essay Questions
1. How is Dave's lawyer feeling about Dave's case and why?
2. Why does Dave believe Darlene's life is in danger?
3. What does Dave learn at the Blackfeet Reservation, and do you think the Chief is being as helpful as possible?
4. How does Cletus now become a sympathetic character?
5. What happens that seems to indicate that Dixie Lee may finally be getting his life back on track?
6. Why do you think Darlene's does not know much about the American Indian Movement, one of the most controversial and publicized Indian organizations, yet her last name (American Horse) suggests she is Native American?
7. What does Dave learn about Mapes and what does this information tell the reader about the man?
8. How does Dave respond both analytically and emotionally to Darlene's death?
9. What event foreshadows a future event in the book?
10. Why do you think Darlene goes over and takes care of Dave when he is ill?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Dave visits a Blackfeet Indian Reservation to obtain information about possible murder victims. Discuss the following:
1. Why and when were Indian Reservations established? Were they moral? Just?
2. What do you think Indians at the time of the establishment of Reservations felt about them? How do you think modern-day Indians feel about Reservations?
3. How would you feel about living on a Reservation?
Essay Topic 2
Choose one of the following to discuss:
1. Choose two significant symbols and trace and analyze their appearance in the novel.
2. Choose two important metaphors and trace and analyze their appearance in the novel.
3. Discuss James Lee Burke's use (or lack ) of literary techniques and how they add or detract from the story and whether he uses too many or too little literary techniques.
Essay Topic 3
It is obvious Dave dearly loves Alafair, his daughter, but at times, he seems to make decisions that are perhaps not in her best interest. Discuss the following:
1. Dave goes to the Sheriff who cannot help Dave when Dave first receives the letter with the implied threat against Alafair. Because the Sheriff says he cannot help Dave, does this mean it's the wises thing to do to beat up these men when getting thrown in jail will perhaps leave Alafair vulnerable?
2. Is it wise for Dave to given in to Alafair's pleading and take her with him to Montana? Would it have been more harmful to be separated from her father when her mother's death is still not in the too-distant past?
3. Is there anything Dave could have/should have done differently concerning Alafair throughout the story?
This section contains 1,252 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)