|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the coroner rule Darlene's death?
2. What does Dave decide to do about Charlie?
3. What happens to Charlie?
4. Who moves in with Dave?
5. Who has dessert with Dave and Alafair?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Dave believe Darlene's life is in danger?
2. Why do you think Darlene goes over and takes care of Dave when he is ill?
3. How does Dave respond both analytically and emotionally to Darlene's death?
4. How does Mrs. Desmarteau receive Dave, and what does he learn?
5. Why do you think Darlene's does not know much about the American Indian Movement, one of the most controversial and publicized Indian organizations, yet her last name (American Horse) suggests she is Native American?
6. What event foreshadows a future event in the book?
7. What could be possible reasons that Dave seems to be a bit of a hothead?
8. What does the Coroner tell Dave and how does Dave know Darlene was probably raped before being murdered?
9. Why does Dave go to the courthouse and what is the result?
10. What does Dave learn about Mapes and what does this information tell the reader about the man?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Dixie Lee is involved in a fatal accident while driving and drinking in which a child is killed. Discuss one of the following:
1. Do you think it is just to send Dixie Lee to prison for the reason stated above? What if it is the first DUI? The third?
2. Obviously Dixie Lee does not rehabilitate in prison as he is still drinking. Is prison a place for rehabilitation? If not, should it be? If so, how does it rehabilitate people? Explain fully with examples.
3. If a loved one (either friend, relative, or romantic partner) drinks and drives impaired and kills a child, would you fight to keep that person out of prison? Why or why not? Explain fully with examples.
Essay Topic 2
Black Cherry Blues is considered a crime/murder mystery, a sub-genre of fiction. Discuss the following:
1. Define genre and then specifically crime/murder mystery.
2. What do you think is the difference between a suspense novel and a murder mystery?
3. Many in the world of academe do not see mystery as a serious genre, that its primary purpose is entertainment and not "worthy" of being studied by serious students of literature? Respond to that idea.
Essay Topic 3
Dave takes the law into his own hands when he decides to beat up Mapes and Vidrine after receiving a letter threatening Alafair, Dave's daughter. Dave also takes the law into his own hands when in an earlier novel, he kills his wife's murderer. Later, Cletus does the same thing with Darlene's murderer. Discuss the following: Discuss the following:
1. When (or if) is it justified to mete out your own justice to someone who has wronged you or a loved one and broken the law in doing so.
2. What do you think it says about Dave's beliefs about the criminal justice system that he is his own judge and executioner? About Cletus's belief?
3. Do you think Dave's beliefs about the justice system influences his work as a police officer when he was one?
This section contains 1,126 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)