|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Dave begin to suspect?
2. How is Darlene acting?
3. What does the coroner rule Darlene's death?
4. What is the name American Horse?
5. Why does Dave refuse to see Dixie Lee?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Dave learn about Mapes and what does this information tell the reader about the man?
2. What does Dave learn at the Blackfeet Reservation, and do you think the Chief is being as helpful as possible?
3. What is Dave's response to Dixie Lee's request to help and do you think it is wise?
4. What does Dio want when he calls Dave, and what is Dave's response?
5. How does Dave respond both analytically and emotionally to Darlene's death?
6. What does Tess Reagan tell Dave and do you think is response is ethical?
7. Why is Dave rushing to Cletus' home and what does he find?
8. How does Mrs. Desmarteau receive Dave, and what does he learn?
9. How does Cletus now become a sympathetic character?
10. What does Dave learn when he is riding to the Reservation on their bus and how might that affect his feelings towards Darlene?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Dave seems to be a bit of a hothead considering some of his run-ins with others. Discuss the following:
1. Describe and analyze three of Dave's run-ins with other people. Could Dave have handled them some other way that would have been more effective in getting what he wanted?
2. What do these run-ins say about Dave's personality?
3. There is a platitude that says "You can catch more flies with honey than with vinegar." How do you think Dave could learn from this saying?
Essay Topic 2
The plot of a mystery/detective novel is part of what makes the book successful or not. Discuss the following:
1. What is the basic plot of BLACK CHERRY BLUES?
2. How successful is the author at making the plot believable?
3. How successful is the author at expressing the plot with believable characters and action?
4. Do you think most mystery/detective novels have the same basic plot? Explain.
Essay Topic 3
It is obvious Dave dearly loves Alafair, his daughter, but at times, he seems to make decisions that are perhaps not in her best interest. Discuss the following:
1. Dave goes to the Sheriff who cannot help Dave when Dave first receives the letter with the implied threat against Alafair. Because the Sheriff says he cannot help Dave, does this mean it's the wises thing to do to beat up these men when getting thrown in jail will perhaps leave Alafair vulnerable?
2. Is it wise for Dave to given in to Alafair's pleading and take her with him to Montana? Would it have been more harmful to be separated from her father when her mother's death is still not in the too-distant past?
3. Is there anything Dave could have/should have done differently concerning Alafair throughout the story?
This section contains 1,281 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)