|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Dave tell Alafair is wrong with him?
2. Why do the police think Desmarteau leaves town?
3. Who is Charlie?
4. Why is Cletus Purcel not intimate with his girlfriend?
5. Who gives him a ride to the reservation?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Dave learn at the Blackfeet Reservation, and do you think the Chief is being as helpful as possible?
2. How does Mrs. Desmarteau receive Dave, and what does he learn?
3. Why does Dave go to the courthouse and what is the result?
4. Is Dave's response to Cletus taking Charlie out of the house ethical?
5. How does Cletus save Dave's wife and do you think he and Dave are more alike than first seemed?
6. What does Dave learn about Mapes and what does this information tell the reader about the man?
7. What does Tess Reagan tell Dave and do you think is response is ethical?
8. How is it obvious that Dave is starting to feel desperate?
9. Why does Dave believe Darlene's life is in danger?
10. Why do you think Darlene's does not know much about the American Indian Movement, one of the most controversial and publicized Indian organizations, yet her last name (American Horse) suggests she is Native American?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
When Darlene dies of an apparent suicide, Dave believes it is murder. Dave goes to a priest to talk about Darlene and her death. Discuss the following:
1. How important do you think Dave's Catholic religion is to him? Do you think the priest helps Dave deal with Darlene's death?
2. Do you think Dave's religious beliefs have any bearing on how he conducts his life? Explain fully.
3. Dave appears to be raising Alafair as a Catholic, even sending her to Catholic schools? Do you think children should attend parochial schools? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Dave seems to be a bit of a hothead considering some of his run-ins with others. Discuss the following:
1. Describe and analyze three of Dave's run-ins with other people. Could Dave have handled them some other way that would have been more effective in getting what he wanted?
2. What do these run-ins say about Dave's personality?
3. There is a platitude that says "You can catch more flies with honey than with vinegar." How do you think Dave could learn from this saying?
Essay Topic 3
Choose one of the following to discuss:
1. Trace and analyze the theme of violence.
2. Trace and analyze the theme of murder.
3. Trace and analyze the theme of greed.
This section contains 1,113 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)