|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Charlie supposed to take?
2. What is delivered with the letter?
3. Why do the police think Desmarteau leaves town?
4. What does Dave find in Teton county?
5. Who does Dave ask to call the cops?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens that seems to indicate that Dixie Lee may finally be getting his life back on track?
2. Why do you think Darlene goes over and takes care of Dave when he is ill?
3. Why does Dave believe Darlene's life is in danger?
4. What does Dave dream and what might the dream foreshadow?
5. What does Tess Reagan tell Dave and do you think is response is ethical?
6. What happens at the lake and what does this incident reinforce to the reader about Dave's personality?
7. How is it obvious that Dave is starting to feel desperate?
8. What does Dave learn at the Blackfeet Reservation, and do you think the Chief is being as helpful as possible?
9. Why is Dave rushing to Cletus' home and what does he find?
10. What event foreshadows a future event in the book?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Dave is treated as an outsider by many of those at the Blackfeet Reservation and by Mrs. Desmarteau. Discuss the following:
1. Why do you think Dave is treated like an outsider?
2. Do you think most non-reservation people would find it difficult to elicit information on an Indian reservation? Why or why not?
3. Do you think if Dave had been Native American, even if not of the Blackfeet tribe, he would have been treated differently?
4. Why is it that most people view with suspicion those who are different from themselves? What is missed by this attitude? What is gained?
Essay Topic 2
The two Native American murder victims are members of an organization called AIM (American Indian movement). Discuss one of the following:
1. Thoroughly research and analyze AIM: include its goals, activities and effectiveness at obtaining its goals.
2. Analyze the incidents that took place at Wounded Knee in 1890 and 1973. How is AIM involved in the later incident? Was justice served?
3. Why is Clayton Desmarteau and his cousin killed? Does it have anything to do with their AIM activities? Explain fully. Were the two Native Americans justified in opposing Dio, Mapes and Vidrine?
Essay Topic 3
Dreams play a significant role in BLACK CHERRY BLUES. Discuss the following:
1. How much (if any) do you think Dave's Cajun background contribute to his valuing his dreams?
2. Discuss Dave's three significant dreams and their interpretations.
3. Can Dave be taken seriously as a detective when he puts stock in such things as dreams? Why or why not.
This section contains 1,302 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)