|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Was anyone else injured in the fire?
2. Who speaks to Dave outside of Sally Dio's home?
3. Why does Dave do what he does in question 53?
4. What does Dave have the bartender do?
5. Who arrives at the house as no surprise to Dave?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Dixie Lee do that is perhaps a typical manipulative action of an alcoholic?
2. Why is Dave moved in the jail and what does that say about Dave as a person?
3. What does Dave read about Dixie Lee a week later?
4. How does Dixie Lee try to pressure Dave into helping him about the conversation Dixie Lee overhears?
5. What happens to Dave the day after his encounter with Mapes and Vidrine and do you think he is a responsible parent in that incident?
6. What is Sally Dio like and what is his connection to Dixie Lee?
7. Why does the executive of Star Drilling Company have Dave thrown off the premises and what theme does this touch upon?
8. Describe and evaluate the character, Dixie Lee.
9. How does Dave spend his time in jail?
10. Who are Dave's cell mates and why is he placed in this cell?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Dreams play a significant role in BLACK CHERRY BLUES. Discuss the following:
1. How much (if any) do you think Dave's Cajun background contribute to his valuing his dreams?
2. Discuss Dave's three significant dreams and their interpretations.
3. Can Dave be taken seriously as a detective when he puts stock in such things as dreams? Why or why not.
Essay Topic 2
Dave Robicheaux is the main character in a number of mystery novels by James Lee Burke. One of the most interesting things about Robicheaux is his Cajun background. It is therefore, useful to understand a little of Cajun culture. Discuss the following:
1. Who are the Cajuns? In what area of the United States do they reside? Who are several famous "real-life" Cajuns?
2. Describe some of the major aspects of the Cajun culture.
3. What about Dave Robicheaux reveals his Cajun heritage?
4. Why do you think James Lee Burke chooses to make his primary protagonist Cajun?
Essay Topic 3
Dave is treated as an outsider by many of those at the Blackfeet Reservation and by Mrs. Desmarteau. Discuss the following:
1. Why do you think Dave is treated like an outsider?
2. Do you think most non-reservation people would find it difficult to elicit information on an Indian reservation? Why or why not?
3. Do you think if Dave had been Native American, even if not of the Blackfeet tribe, he would have been treated differently?
4. Why is it that most people view with suspicion those who are different from themselves? What is missed by this attitude? What is gained?
This section contains 1,175 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)