|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why doesn't Dixie Lee want to go to the police?
2. Why does Dave do what he does in question 53?
3. Why does Dan Nygurski contact Dave?
4. Who is Tex?
5. What does Dixie Lee say that Dio is doing with the land Dixie Lee arranges for him to buy?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe and evaluate the character, Dixie Lee.
2. Do you think Dave's wife is actually coming to him in a dream or it is Dave just reminding himself to go to AA?
3. With what crime is Dave charged and what does he realize as to why they are charging him?
4. What does Dave do to get himself thrown off Dio's property and is this a pattern of Dave's?
5. What evidence is there that Purcel is still on the wrong side of the law?
6. How does Dave spend his time in jail?
7. How does Dave accidentally alert Mapes and Vidrine that he is looking into the fire at Dixie Lee's place? Why do you think the Sheriff allows this to happen?
8. What does Dixie Lee do that is perhaps a typical manipulative action of an alcoholic?
9. What is Sally Dio like and what is his connection to Dixie Lee?
10. What is Alafair's reaction to Dave's decision and do you think Dave handles the situation wisely?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss one of the following:
1. Compare/contrast Dave Robicheaux with Cletus Purcel.
2. Compare/contrast Dave Robicheaux with Dixie Lee.
3. Compare/contrast Dixie Lee with Cletus Purcel.
Essay Topic 2
Black Cherry Blues is considered a crime/murder mystery, a sub-genre of fiction. Discuss the following:
1. Define genre and then specifically crime/murder mystery.
2. What do you think is the difference between a suspense novel and a murder mystery?
3. Many in the world of academe do not see mystery as a serious genre, that its primary purpose is entertainment and not "worthy" of being studied by serious students of literature? Respond to that idea.
Essay Topic 3
Dave is beginning to feel desperate by Chapter 10, thinking he will have to go on the run if he does not prove his innocence. Discuss the following:
1. Do you think Dave would be smart to go on the run rather than stand trial if he cannot prove his innocence?
2. Do you think that Dave would have more success as an outlaw than most because of his cop background? Why or why not?
3. Would it be fair to subject Alafair of a life as a fugitive?
This section contains 1,187 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)