|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is Dixie Lee arrested?
2. What does Dave tell Dixie Lee a few days later?
3. What does Dave suspect started the fire that injures Dixie Lee?
4. Why does Dan Nygurski contact Dave?
5. What is Dave's response to Dixie Lee's request?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Cletus Purcel.
2. Describe and evaluate the character, Dixie Lee.
3. What does Dixie Lee do that is perhaps a typical manipulative action of an alcoholic?
4. How do we get a little hint of Dave Robicheaux's fathering abilities?
5. What evidence is there that Purcel is still on the wrong side of the law?
6. What does Dave do to Vidrine and Mapes and do you think this is appropriate on his part?
7. How does Dave spend his time in jail?
8. What is Dave remembering at the end of this chapter and how might that memory influence him to some sort of action?
9. What do you think the package in Dave's mailbox means?
10. How does Dixie Lee try to pressure Dave into helping him about the conversation Dixie Lee overhears?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Choose one of the following to discuss:
1. Trace and analyze the theme of violence.
2. Trace and analyze the theme of murder.
3. Trace and analyze the theme of greed.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss one of the following:
1. Compare/contrast Dave Robicheaux with Cletus Purcel.
2. Compare/contrast Dave Robicheaux with Dixie Lee.
3. Compare/contrast Dixie Lee with Cletus Purcel.
Essay Topic 3
Dixie Lee is involved in a fatal accident while driving and drinking in which a child is killed. Discuss one of the following:
1. Do you think it is just to send Dixie Lee to prison for the reason stated above? What if it is the first DUI? The third?
2. Obviously Dixie Lee does not rehabilitate in prison as he is still drinking. Is prison a place for rehabilitation? If not, should it be? If so, how does it rehabilitate people? Explain fully with examples.
3. If a loved one (either friend, relative, or romantic partner) drinks and drives impaired and kills a child, would you fight to keep that person out of prison? Why or why not? Explain fully with examples.
This section contains 1,053 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)