|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Dave have to spend the night there?
2. What happens after Dave has been in jail for three weeks?
3. What does Dave have the bartender do?
4. Why does Dan Nygurski contact Dave?
5. Who does Dixie Lee believe planted drugs in his car?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Dave spend his time in jail?
2. What is Dave remembering at the end of this chapter and how might that memory influence him to some sort of action?
3. With what crime is Dave charged and what does he realize as to why they are charging him?
4. What is Sally Dio like and what is his connection to Dixie Lee?
5. Describe and evaluate the character, Dixie Lee.
6. Who are Dave's cell mates and why is he placed in this cell?
7. What does Dave read about Dixie Lee a week later?
8. What evidence is there that Purcel is still on the wrong side of the law?
9. What does Dave find in his mailbox and what is the Sheriff's response to it?
10. Why does it seem Dixie Lee is destined for jail and what does he decide to do about it?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Often, authors will write about "what they know," and sometimes knowing a little about the author makes the books more interesting. Discuss the following:
1. Research and give a brief biographical sketch of James Lee Burke.
2. What in Burke's background may have helped Burke in writing BLACK CHERRY BLUES? What may have influenced the way he depicts various characters and scenes?
3. Do you think there is always some of the author's own life in his/her novels? Why or why not? Give examples.
Essay Topic 2
Dave is beginning to feel desperate by Chapter 10, thinking he will have to go on the run if he does not prove his innocence. Discuss the following:
1. Do you think Dave would be smart to go on the run rather than stand trial if he cannot prove his innocence?
2. Do you think that Dave would have more success as an outlaw than most because of his cop background? Why or why not?
3. Would it be fair to subject Alafair of a life as a fugitive?
Essay Topic 3
The two Native American murder victims are members of an organization called AIM (American Indian movement). Discuss one of the following:
1. Thoroughly research and analyze AIM: include its goals, activities and effectiveness at obtaining its goals.
2. Analyze the incidents that took place at Wounded Knee in 1890 and 1973. How is AIM involved in the later incident? Was justice served?
3. Why is Clayton Desmarteau and his cousin killed? Does it have anything to do with their AIM activities? Explain fully. Were the two Native Americans justified in opposing Dio, Mapes and Vidrine?
This section contains 1,265 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)