|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Dave decide to do despite saying he would do nothing?
2. Who does Dave call to tell he is in Montana and that he believes Dio has something to do with Mapes, Vidrine, and the murder they supposedly committed?
3. Why is Dave thrown out of Sally Dio's home?
4. Who welcomes Dave into his home?
5. Why does Dave keep Alafair home from school?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Sally Dio like and what is his connection to Dixie Lee?
2. Why does the executive of Star Drilling Company have Dave thrown off the premises and what theme does this touch upon?
3. Why does it seem Dixie Lee is destined for jail and what does he decide to do about it?
4. What does Dixie Lee do that is perhaps a typical manipulative action of an alcoholic?
5. Who is Nygurski; why does he visit Dave, and what does Dave tell him?
6. Describe Cletus Purcel.
7. How does Dave accidentally alert Mapes and Vidrine that he is looking into the fire at Dixie Lee's place? Why do you think the Sheriff allows this to happen?
8. Why is Dave moved in the jail and what does that say about Dave as a person?
9. What do you think the package in Dave's mailbox means?
10. Describe and evaluate the character, Dixie Lee.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Dreams play a significant role in BLACK CHERRY BLUES. Discuss the following:
1. How much (if any) do you think Dave's Cajun background contribute to his valuing his dreams?
2. Discuss Dave's three significant dreams and their interpretations.
3. Can Dave be taken seriously as a detective when he puts stock in such things as dreams? Why or why not.
Essay Topic 2
When Darlene dies of an apparent suicide, Dave believes it is murder. Dave goes to a priest to talk about Darlene and her death. Discuss the following:
1. How important do you think Dave's Catholic religion is to him? Do you think the priest helps Dave deal with Darlene's death?
2. Do you think Dave's religious beliefs have any bearing on how he conducts his life? Explain fully.
3. Dave appears to be raising Alafair as a Catholic, even sending her to Catholic schools? Do you think children should attend parochial schools? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Dave visits a Blackfeet Indian Reservation to obtain information about possible murder victims. Discuss the following:
1. Why and when were Indian Reservations established? Were they moral? Just?
2. What do you think Indians at the time of the establishment of Reservations felt about them? How do you think modern-day Indians feel about Reservations?
3. How would you feel about living on a Reservation?
This section contains 1,173 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)