|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where is Darlene's funeral held?
(a) There is no funeral.
(b) On the Sioux reservation in Idaho.
(c) Her body is sent to her home in Louisiana.
(d) On the reservation.
2. What happens to Charlie?
(a) Dixie Lee kills him.
(b) Desmarteau kills him.
(c) Purcel takes Charlie with him.
(d) Nygurski takes Charlie with him.
3. Why does Dave go to the courthouse?
(a) To file a restraining order.
(b) To research Desmarteau's criminal record.
(c) To learn if Purcel owns any land in the area.
(d) To find a connection between Dio, Dixie Lee, Mapes, and the Star Drilling Company.
4. How is Darlene acting?
(b) Cold and aloof.
5. Why are Tess and the Principal of the school angry with Dave?
(a) For not being upfront at the start of Alafair going to school there.
(b) They are not angry with him.
(c) For wanting to talk with the older boy.
(d) For putting the school in danger.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Dave decide it is time to do?
2. Why is Desmarteau once beaten?
3. What does Dave learn when he picks up Alafair?
4. What is the apparent cause of Darlene's death?
5. What does Dave do while sleeping?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Cletus save Dave's wife and do you think he and Dave are more alike than first seemed?
2. What does Dave learn when he is riding to the Reservation on their bus and how might that affect his feelings towards Darlene?
3. What happens when Dave picks up Alafair at school and do you think the teacher and principal are justified in their response?
4. How is it obvious that Dave is starting to feel desperate?
5. How does Dave respond both analytically and emotionally to Darlene's death?
6. How is Dave's lawyer feeling about Dave's case and why?
7. How does Cletus now become a sympathetic character?
8. What does Dave learn about Mapes and what does this information tell the reader about the man?
9. What happens that seems to indicate that Dixie Lee may finally be getting his life back on track?
10. What happens at the lake and what does this incident reinforce to the reader about Dave's personality?
This section contains 1,242 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)