|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What look did Jerry have on his face after Seedy Sam’s speech in Chapter 39?
2. What was the worst road condition for the horses to travel over?
3. Where was Black Beauty’s new home in Chapter 27 located?
4. Which word did Black Beauty NOT use to describe Alfred Smirk?
5. What did Jerry name Black Beauty?
Short Essay Questions
1. How is Mr. Filcher a good example of how men can be both good and bad?
2. What does it tell readers that Black Beauty compared Jerry to John Manly?
3. How could Black Beauty’s good temperament be seen as a sort of detriment at this point in this life?
4. What did Jerry have to say about himself being rich?
5. What characteristics made Wright a “Real Gentleman,” as the chapter title and Jerry call him?
6. What personal belief did Jerry share in Chapter 36?
7. What did Jerry do in Chapter 37 to show that he had real consideration for Black Beauty?
8. What thoughts on Liberty did Jerry share with Harry in Chapter 42?
9. What connections were there between Seedy Sam and Ginger?
10. What does Chapter 31 say about responsibility involved in owning a horse?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Black Beauty learns many valuable lessons throughout the novel. What are some lessons he learned? Who did he learn them from? Which lesson do you feel is the most valuable, and why?
Essay Topic 2
Symbolism is literature means to inject a symbolic meaning into something else. What examples of symbolism are there in Black Beauty?
Essay Topic 3
Black Beauty experienced a variety of masters. What are some things he learned from different masters? Did he learn more from his kind masters or his mean ones? Which master do you think Black Beauty liked the most?
This section contains 1,096 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)