|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who drove the butcher’s horse for deliveries?
2. Who once said that spoiling a horse was as bad as spoiling a child?
3. Who had been on the stand longer than any other London cab driver?
4. What did Jerry tell Harry does not come from colors?
5. What was Reuben Smith’s vice?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Chapter 31 say about responsibility involved in owning a horse?
2. What did Jerry have to say about himself being rich?
3. Why was Jerry offended at the word ‘compensation’ in Chapter 44?
4. How do the horses, including Black Beauty, and the people in Chapter 48 reflect one another?
5. What thoughts on Liberty did Jerry share with Harry in Chapter 42?
6. What does it tell readers that Black Beauty compared Jerry to John Manly?
7. What hint is there in Chapter 43 that Jerry’s kind nature was finally doling him back some good fortune?
8. How is ‘the power of polite words’ demonstrated in Chapter 46?
9. What connections were there between Seedy Sam and Ginger?
10. What did Jerry do in Chapter 37 to show that he had real consideration for Black Beauty?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Symbolism is literature means to inject a symbolic meaning into something else. What examples of symbolism are there in Black Beauty?
Essay Topic 2
Black Beauty can be seen as a coming-of-age story. What elements of the story make it a coming-of-age story? How does it compare to the coming-of-age story of a human?
Essay Topic 3
Gender roles have change throughout history, but they are always there. What are the gender roles in Black Beauty’s time? Do any characters defy their gender role? If so, who and how?
This section contains 1,172 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)