|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What day of the week did Jerry spend with his family?
2. How much did Jerry charge to drive his horses faster when people were late?
3. Who or what did Jerry blame for hurting Captain and putting him out of commission?
4. Why was there so much traffic in Chapter 43?
5. Who drove the butcher’s horse for deliveries?
Short Essay Questions
1. Black Beauty uses heavy sarcasm in Chapter 29. What is he describing and why might he be using sarcasm?
2. How is Mr. Filcher a good example of how men can be both good and bad?
3. What hint is there in Chapter 43 that Jerry’s kind nature was finally doling him back some good fortune?
4. What does Chapter 31 say about responsibility involved in owning a horse?
5. What did Jerry have to say about himself being rich?
6. What characteristics made Wright a “Real Gentleman,” as the chapter title and Jerry call him?
7. What thoughts on Liberty did Jerry share with Harry in Chapter 42?
8. What connections were there between Seedy Sam and Ginger?
9. How is ‘the power of polite words’ demonstrated in Chapter 46?
10. How do the horses, including Black Beauty, and the people in Chapter 48 reflect one another?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Black Beauty is organized into parts and titled chapters. Why might the book be organized the way it is? Did you find the organization of the book helpful; why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Stories have a tone and mood, which often play off of one another. What is the tone of Black Beauty? What is the mood? How do the tone and mood affect one another throughout the novel?
Essay Topic 3
Black Beauty can be seen as a coming-of-age story. What elements of the story make it a coming-of-age story? How does it compare to the coming-of-age story of a human?
This section contains 1,197 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)