|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who did Black Beauty compare Jerry’s care for him to?
2. Why, according to the doctor, did Jerry survive his fever in Chapter 45?
3. Whose cart ran in to Jerry’s cart hurting Captain?
4. What did Jerry name Black Beauty?
5. Who was Jerry’s best customer?
Short Essay Questions
1. What characteristics made Wright a “Real Gentleman,” as the chapter title and Jerry call him?
2. What personal belief did Jerry share in Chapter 36?
3. Just as men have a check list to go through when determining if they want to buy a horse, what qualities in a potential master did Black Beauty look for?
4. Black Beauty uses heavy sarcasm in Chapter 29. What is he describing and why might he be using sarcasm?
5. What did Jerry do in Chapter 37 to show that he had real consideration for Black Beauty?
6. How could Black Beauty’s good temperament be seen as a sort of detriment at this point in this life?
7. How did the way Jerry lived his life and treated people work toward his benefit in Chapter 45?
8. What connections were there between Seedy Sam and Ginger?
9. How is Mr. Filcher a good example of how men can be both good and bad?
10. What hint is there in Chapter 43 that Jerry’s kind nature was finally doling him back some good fortune?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Black Beauty was written more than 100 years ago, yet it is still a popular story today, read by millions. What elements make Black Beauty timeless? What themes in it are still relevant today?
Essay Topic 2
Many words of wisdom are handed down to Black Beauty throughout this life. Who doles out wisdom to Black Beauty, and to what does it apply? Did someone’s wisdom resonate more with Black Beauty than others?
Essay Topic 3
Black Beauty can be seen as a coming-of-age story. What elements of the story make it a coming-of-age story? How does it compare to the coming-of-age story of a human?
This section contains 1,180 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)