|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What phrase did Thomas use in Chapter 19 that upset John?
2. How many horses died in the fire at the hotel stable?
3. In Chapter 7, who did Ginger buck off of her?
4. What reason did Captain Langley give Mr. Gordon for why he used check-reigns on his cart horses?
5. What nickname did the Master give Black Beauty’s mother?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did Ginger’s history come back to haunt her in Chapter 23?
2. How was Ginger taught not to trust men?
3. What finally got Ginger to become a calm, happy, and content horse?
4. What purpose might the old hostler serve in the novel?
5. What did Joe do for Black Beauty after the horse arrived back with the doctor, and why was it incorrect?
6. How did John get his point across to Thomas in Chapter 19?
7. What example of foreshadowing occurs in Chapter 24?
8. How do readers know that John understood Black Beauty well and knew he was a loyal horse?
9. How does Black Beauty describe what ‘breaking in’ is for readers?
10. What was John’s opinion of Black Beauty and Ginger, based on what he told Mr. York?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Many words of wisdom are handed down to Black Beauty throughout this life. Who doles out wisdom to Black Beauty, and to what does it apply? Did someone’s wisdom resonate more with Black Beauty than others?
Essay Topic 2
Black Beauty can be seen as a coming-of-age story. What elements of the story make it a coming-of-age story? How does it compare to the coming-of-age story of a human?
Essay Topic 3
Black Beauty formed many relationships throughout the novel. Which relationship affected him the most? Which character did Black Beauty influence the most?
This section contains 1,027 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)