|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why would the pony not obey the boy riding it in Chapter 13?
2. How was Sir Clifford Williams related to Mr. Gordon?
3. Who led Black Beauty out of the burning stable in Chapter 16?
4. What nickname did Black Beauty’s first master have for him?
5. What was John’s sister’s name?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did the Lady of Earlshall contrast Mrs. Gordon in Chapter 22?
2. How does the theme of trust appear in Chapter 16?
3. How did John show a fatherly side to James?
4. What did Joe do for Black Beauty after the horse arrived back with the doctor, and why was it incorrect?
5. How does Black Beauty show readers that the Gordons are good people?
6. How do readers know that John understood Black Beauty well and knew he was a loyal horse?
7. What was the point of the speech Mr. Gordon gave Captain Langley? What were his main arguments?
8. How did the author use the weather as a writing tool in Chapter 12?
9. What message is the author sending readers about treating animals poorly in Chapter 13?
10. How did Joe’s actions in Chapter 20 show that he was a good fit to work for Squire Gordon?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
There is a motif of abuse in Black Beauty. Who endures abuse throughout the book? Who doles out the abuse? What is the abuse for? What different types of abuse are experienced in Black Beauty?
Essay Topic 2
Death appears in Black Beauty’s story many times. What are three examples of death from Black Beauty, and what might the author’s purpose have been for including those deaths?
Essay Topic 3
Black Beauty learns many valuable lessons throughout the novel. What are some lessons he learned? Who did he learn them from? Which lesson do you feel is the most valuable, and why?
This section contains 1,003 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)