|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Chapter 1, what did Dick throw at the horses?
2. What was the relationship between Black Beauty and Ginger by the end of Chapter 5?
3. How old was James about to turn in Chapter 14?
4. What prevented the animal in Chapter 2 from escaping the hunting dogs?
5. What phrase did Thomas use in Chapter 19 that upset John?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Black Beauty show readers that the Gordons are good people?
2. What did Joe do for Black Beauty after the horse arrived back with the doctor, and why was it incorrect?
3. What does it say about John’s character that he agreed to hire Little Joe Green?
4. How is Ginger a character foil to Black Beauty?
5. How was Ginger taught not to trust men?
6. How is the theme of cruelty introduced in Chapter 13?
7. What was the understanding among everyone at Birtwik Park, which no one acknowledged aloud to the Gordons?
8. How did the Lady of Earlshall contrast Mrs. Gordon in Chapter 22?
9. How did John get his point across to Thomas in Chapter 19?
10. How did Joe’s actions in Chapter 20 show that he was a good fit to work for Squire Gordon?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Gender roles have change throughout history, but they are always there. What are the gender roles in Black Beauty’s time? Do any characters defy their gender role? If so, who and how?
Essay Topic 2
Black Beauty is a story told from a horse’s perspective. What are the challenges for an author of having the story told from having a horse’s perspective? What are the challenges for a reader?
Essay Topic 3
Stories have a tone and mood, which often play off of one another. What is the tone of Black Beauty? What is the mood? How do the tone and mood affect one another throughout the novel?
This section contains 1,063 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)