|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was Ginger fed when her lips were too cracked to eat hay after she was beaten?
2. From what type of tree did a branch fall in the path blocking Black Beauty during the storm in Chapter 12?
3. What was Mr. York’s position at Earlshall Park?
4. Why would the pony not obey the boy riding it in Chapter 13?
5. What did John want to do or be after leaving Birtwik Park?
Short Essay Questions
1. What purpose might the old hostler serve in the novel?
2. What was the point of the speech Mr. Gordon gave Captain Langley? What were his main arguments?
3. Ginger admitted to Black Beauty that she was bad to her past masters by kicking and biting. What was her reasoning for behaving this way?
4. How was Merrylegs the peacekeeper among the horses?
5. How does the theme of trust appear in Chapter 16?
6. How does Black Beauty show readers that the Gordons are good people?
7. How is Ginger a character foil to Black Beauty?
8. How did Joe’s actions in Chapter 20 show that he was a good fit to work for Squire Gordon?
9. What advice did Black Beauty’s mother give him when he was young, which he never forgot?
10. What role does communication play in Black Beauty’s life, as described in Chapter 6?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Black Beauty formed many relationships throughout the novel. Which relationship affected him the most? Which character did Black Beauty influence the most?
Essay Topic 2
Stories have a tone and mood, which often play off of one another. What is the tone of Black Beauty? What is the mood? How do the tone and mood affect one another throughout the novel?
Essay Topic 3
There are multiple examples of foreshadowing within Black Beauty. Select at least three examples of foreshadowing to describe when they occur and what they foreshadow. Did you guess what was being foreshadowed as you were reading, or did you only recognize the foreshadowing after the event being foreshadowed had occurred?
This section contains 1,043 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)