|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What was Seedy Sam’s profession?
(b) Bread maker.
(c) Horse trainer.
(d) Cab driver.
2. What did Black Beauty have stuck in his foot in his anecdote in Chapter 28?
(a) A piece of glass.
(b) A stone.
(c) A splinter.
(d) A piece of coal.
3. What issue with Black Beauty did the horse’s owner tell people at the horse fair was from ‘just a slip in the stall’?
(a) A welt on his side.
(b) His swollen ankles.
(c) His broken knees.
(d) A laceration on his back leg.
4. Who tried to cut into Jerry’s cab before the woman carrying a child in Chapter 43?
(a) Two men.
(b) An old man.
(c) Two women.
(d) A wealthy man.
5. What was the Lady’s suggestion to Jakes to help Black Beauty get his load up the hill in Chapter 46?
(a) Remove his check-rein.
(b) Get a running start.
(c) Go around the hill.
(d) Take two trips with lighter loads.
Short Answer Questions
1. What made Ginger incredibly sad in Chapter 27?
2. How were the war horses loaded onto the ship to go to war?
3. Which horse found Black Beauty and Reuben in Chapter 26?
4. Who had been on the stand longer than any other London cab driver?
5. How many hours a day did Seedy Sam work?
Short Essay Questions
1. Black Beauty uses heavy sarcasm in Chapter 29. What is he describing and why might he be using sarcasm?
2. What hint is there in Chapter 43 that Jerry’s kind nature was finally doling him back some good fortune?
3. Why was Jerry offended at the word ‘compensation’ in Chapter 44?
4. Based on Captain’s retelling of his war experience, how does war for horses compare to war for humans?
5. How do the horses, including Black Beauty, and the people in Chapter 48 reflect one another?
6. What did Jerry have to say about himself being rich?
7. Just as men have a check list to go through when determining if they want to buy a horse, what qualities in a potential master did Black Beauty look for?
8. Does Black Beauty believe all boys are evil? What evidence does he give to support his belief?
9. How is ‘the power of polite words’ demonstrated in Chapter 46?
10. How did Black Beauty’s treatment directly affect his mindset, as shown in Chapter 47?
This section contains 1,292 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)