|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which war was Captain in?
(a) Crimean War.
(b) Korean War.
(c) World War I.
(d) World War II.
2. Black Beauty said that if he had to name a fault of Ginger’s, what would it be?
(a) She has a short temper.
(b) She only takes direction from men.
(c) She is crabby in the mornings.
(d) She was impatient while standing.
3. Who drove the butcher’s horse for deliveries?
(a) His nephew.
(b) His son.
(c) A hired hand.
(d) His brother.
4. What day of the week did Jerry spend with his family?
5. What injury did Jerry sustain after being thrown from his cart when another cart ran into it in Chapter 44?
(a) He was cut on his chest.
(b) Hit foot was broken.
(c) His leg was broken.
(d) He was only bruised.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which type of driver did Black Beauty prefer for himself?
2. What did Jerry become sick with?
3. What was Alfred Smirk’s job in relation to Black Beauty?
4. Why could Black Beauty not get up the hill in Chapter 46?
5. What did Black Beauty say there is a great deal of at a horse fair?
Short Essay Questions
1. Black Beauty uses heavy sarcasm in Chapter 29. What is he describing and why might he be using sarcasm?
2. How is ‘the power of polite words’ demonstrated in Chapter 46?
3. How do the horses, including Black Beauty, and the people in Chapter 48 reflect one another?
4. What characteristics made Wright a “Real Gentleman,” as the chapter title and Jerry call him?
5. How did Black Beauty’s treatment directly affect his mindset, as shown in Chapter 47?
6. What personal belief did Jerry share in Chapter 36?
7. Based on Captain’s retelling of his war experience, how does war for horses compare to war for humans?
8. What did Jerry do in Chapter 37 to show that he had real consideration for Black Beauty?
9. Why was Jerry offended at the word ‘compensation’ in Chapter 44?
10. How did the way Jerry lived his life and treated people work toward his benefit in Chapter 45?
This section contains 1,374 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)