|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How long passed in Chapter 23 before Ginger was put back on the carriage?
(a) Three weeks.
(b) Two weeks.
(c) One month.
(d) She was never put back on.
2. What animal were the hunting dogs tracking in Chapter 2?
3. What was John’s sister’s name?
4. In Chapter 6, what did Black Beauty say he wanted more than anything?
(a) A companion.
(d) A well-fitted saddle.
5. Who was sick in Chapter 18?
(b) Black Beauty.
(c) Mr. Gordon.
(d) Mrs. Gordon.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did John want to do or be after leaving Birtwik Park?
2. What was the relationship between Black Beauty and Ginger by the end of Chapter 5?
3. Which horse had Mrs. Gordon sent James off on in the storm to look for Mr. Gordon, John, and Black Beauty?
4. Who did Joe tell first about the stuck cart he saw in Chapter 20?
5. What prevented the animal in Chapter 2 from escaping the hunting dogs?
Short Essay Questions
1. How do readers know that John understood Black Beauty well and knew he was a loyal horse?
2. How did Ginger’s history come back to haunt her in Chapter 23?
3. How does Black Beauty show readers that the Gordons are good people?
4. How was Merrylegs the peacekeeper among the horses?
5. Ginger admitted to Black Beauty that she was bad to her past masters by kicking and biting. What was her reasoning for behaving this way?
6. How did John get his point across to Thomas in Chapter 19?
7. How does the motif of family relationship appear in John’s story about his past?
8. What message is the author sending readers about treating animals poorly in Chapter 13?
9. How did John show a fatherly side to James?
10. How does Black Beauty and Ginger’s relationship change throughout Chapter 5?
This section contains 1,000 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)