|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When telling her story in Chapter 8, Ginger insisted that she would have “tried to bare it” under what circumstances?
(a) If she had been given the proper amount of food.
(b) If she had been given a saddle that fit.
(c) If she had been treated civilly.
(d) If she had been given the loose stall.
2. How old was James about to turn in Chapter 14?
3. Who was Merrylegs sold to in Chapter 21?
(a) The brick-maker.
(b) No one.
(c) The doctor.
(d) Mr. Blomefield.
4. What reason did Captain Langley give Mr. Gordon for why he used check-reigns on his cart horses?
(a) He wanted his horses to know he was in charge.
(b) He thought the horses liked it.
(c) He liked to see his horses hold their heads up.
(d) He thought it was a necessary training tool.
5. What nickname did the Master give Black Beauty’s mother?
Short Answer Questions
1. What did John do when the farmer’s son asked for his help in Chapter 13?
2. Which member of the Gordon family always rode Black Beauty in a riding party?
3. What article of clothing did Lady Anne lose while Lizzie was galloping frantically?
4. What did John want to do or be after leaving Birtwik Park?
5. How far was it to the doctor’s house in Chapter 18?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did John get his point across to Thomas in Chapter 19?
2. How did the author use the weather as a writing tool in Chapter 12?
3. How did Merrylegs see boys and girls differently, and why might that be?
4. Ginger admitted to Black Beauty that she was bad to her past masters by kicking and biting. What was her reasoning for behaving this way?
5. How is Ginger a character foil to Black Beauty?
6. How did Mr. Gordon interpret Black Beauty’s action in refusing to go forward onto the broken bridge in the storm?
7. How was Ginger taught not to trust men?
8. What did Joe do for Black Beauty after the horse arrived back with the doctor, and why was it incorrect?
9. What example of foreshadowing occurs in Chapter 24?
10. What role does communication play in Black Beauty’s life, as described in Chapter 6?
This section contains 1,113 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)