|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When telling her story in Chapter 8, Ginger insisted that she would have “tried to bare it” under what circumstances?
(a) If she had been given the loose stall.
(b) If she had been treated civilly.
(c) If she had been given the proper amount of food.
(d) If she had been given a saddle that fit.
2. How did Black Beauty feel about seeing Joe so angry in Chapter 20?
3. Who was Max?
(a) The master’s son.
(b) Black Beauty’s new cart mate.
(c) The new stableboy.
(d) The new coachman.
4. How old was James about to turn in Chapter 14?
5. What did John warn Mr. York that Black Beauty and Ginger had never used at Birtwick Park?
(a) Saddle straps.
(b) A check-rein.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was James’ last name?
2. Who did Joe tell first about the stuck cart he saw in Chapter 20?
3. What was the first question Mr. Gordon asked the man who pulled his small pony’s reigns hard and whipped her after she turned toward Mr. Gordon’s gates in Chapter 11?
4. How long did John agree to give Little Joe Green a try?
5. How old was James about to turn in Chapter 14?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did the Lady of Earlshall contrast Mrs. Gordon in Chapter 22?
2. What advice did Black Beauty’s mother give him when he was young, which he never forgot?
3. How did John show a fatherly side to James?
4. What did Joe do for Black Beauty after the horse arrived back with the doctor, and why was it incorrect?
5. How does the motif of family relationship appear in John’s story about his past?
6. What message is the author sending readers about treating animals poorly in Chapter 13?
7. How was Ginger taught not to trust men?
8. Why did the term “only ignorance” upset John?
9. What does it say about John’s character that he agreed to hire Little Joe Green?
10. How did Merrylegs see boys and girls differently, and why might that be?
This section contains 1,078 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)