|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did Ginger tell Black Beauty in Chapter 7 that she had never had?
(a) A bridle and bit.
(d) Kind words spoken to her.
2. How old was James about to turn in Chapter 14?
(b) Stable boy.
3. What is the name of the horse that died in Chapter 2?
(a) Rob Roy.
(c) Pepper Jack.
(d) Black Jack.
4. What was the first question Mr. Gordon asked the man who pulled his small pony’s reigns hard and whipped her after she turned toward Mr. Gordon’s gates in Chapter 11?
(a) “Is that pony made of flesh and blood?”
(b) “Have you no kindness, sir?”
(c) “Would you treat your wife like that?”
(d) “How would you like it if I did that to you?”
5. Who did Ginger bite at Squire Gordon’s place?
(c) Squire Gordon.
(d) Mrs. Gordon.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Chapter 1, what did Dick throw at the horses?
2. In Chapter 19, what of Thomas’ was recently ruined, which John pointed out for comparison?
3. Where did Black Beauty get a strong inflammation in Chapter 18?
4. What was the lady of Earlshall’s first impression of Black Beauty and Ginger?
5. What did John want to do or be after leaving Birtwik Park?
Short Essay Questions
1. What did Joe do for Black Beauty after the horse arrived back with the doctor, and why was it incorrect?
2. How did Joe’s actions in Chapter 20 show that he was a good fit to work for Squire Gordon?
3. How does the theme of trust appear in Chapter 16?
4. How did Merrylegs see boys and girls differently, and why might that be?
5. How did Ginger’s history come back to haunt her in Chapter 23?
6. How was Ginger taught not to trust men?
7. How does Black Beauty show readers that the Gordons are good people?
8. What was the point of the speech Mr. Gordon gave Captain Langley? What were his main arguments?
9. What theme is introduced In Chapter 2?
10. How is the idea of fashion represented in Chapter 10?
This section contains 1,194 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)