|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which old friend did Black Beauty think he saw on the street in Chapter 41?
(d) Sir Oliver.
2. Which horse found Black Beauty and Reuben in Chapter 26?
(b) Sir Oliver.
(d) An unnamed horse.
3. Who tried to cut into Jerry’s cab before the woman carrying a child in Chapter 43?
(a) An old man.
(b) A wealthy man.
(c) Two men.
(d) Two women.
4. What did the old man whom Black Beauty referred to in Chapter 41 as having a great relationship with his horse do for a living?
(b) Sold Coal.
5. What made Ginger incredibly sad in Chapter 27?
(a) She was sold.
(b) She wouldn’t say why she was sad.
(c) Black Beauty was sold.
(d) She knew she would be killed.
6. Why was there so much traffic in Chapter 43?
(a) There was a parade.
(b) There was a cart accident.
(c) It was Election Day.
(d) There was a funeral for someone famous.
7. What was Alfred Smirk’s job in relation to Black Beauty?
(b) Groom’s apprentice.
(c) Stable boy.
8. What was Filcher arrested for?
(c) He wasn't arrested.
9. Why, according to the doctor, did Jerry survive his fever in Chapter 45?
(a) Because he didn’t drink.
(b) Because he didn’t use tobacco.
(c) Because he ate healthy.
(d) Because he exercised regularly.
10. What was the Lady’s suggestion to Jakes to help Black Beauty get his load up the hill in Chapter 46?
(a) Take two trips with lighter loads.
(b) Go around the hill.
(c) Get a running start.
(d) Remove his check-rein.
11. What day of the week did Jerry spend with his family?
12. How old was Dinah’s baby?
(a) Five weeks.
(b) Three weeks.
(c) Four weeks.
(d) Six weeks.
13. What was Black Beauty blamed for regarding what happened to Reuben?
(a) For refusing to move forward.
(b) For not responding properly to orders.
(d) For throwing Reuben.
14. Who convinced Jerry to drive someone on a Sunday in Chapter 36?
(d) Mrs. Briggs.
15. What was the worst road condition for the horses to travel over?
(a) Rainy stones.
(c) Hot cement.
(d) Front or snowy streets.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who or what did Jerry blame for hurting Captain and putting him out of commission?
2. Under what circumstance would Jerry consider driving his horses faster than usual?
3. Where was Black Beauty’s new home in Chapter 27 located?
4. Who had been on the stand longer than any other London cab driver?
5. What look did Jerry have on his face after Seedy Sam’s speech in Chapter 39?
This section contains 438 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)