|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What was the relationship between Black Beauty and Ginger by the end of Chapter 5?
2. What is the name of the horse that died in Chapter 2?
(a) Black Jack.
(b) Pepper Jack.
(c) Rob Roy.
3. How is Merrylegs described physically in Chapter 4?
(a) Tall, muscular, and blonde.
(b) Short, fat, and gray.
(c) Medium build and black with a blonde mane.
(d) Short, stalky, and white.
4. How far was it to the doctor’s house in Chapter 18?
(a) Eight miles.
(b) Six miles.
(c) Five miles.
(d) Seven miles.
5. Who is Duchess in relation to Black Beauty?
(a) His master’s daughter.
(b) His mother.
(c) His sister.
(d) His master.
6. What did John do when the farmer’s son asked for his help in Chapter 13?
(a) He gave the boy a ride to town.
(b) He said no.
(c) He made the boy beg before helping him.
(d) He left his horse there to watch the boy and ran for help.
7. What phrase did the head hostler with the crooked leg say repeatedly?
(a) Dear me!
(b) Bless you!
(c) My oh my!
8. Who was the first person to respond to the fire in Chapter 16?
(b) The second hostler.
(c) Squire Gordon.
(d) The main hostler.
9. In Chapter 1, what did Dick throw at the horses?
(a) Sticks and rocks.
(b) Celery and apples.
(c) His shoes.
10. What was Mr. York’s position at Earlshall Park?
(b) Stable Boy.
(c) Horse Trainer.
11. How did Black Beauty warn his master about the broken bridge in Chapter 12?
(a) He kept turning just before the bridge, bringing the cart around in circles.
(b) He stopped and refused to move forward.
(c) He did not warn his master.
(d) He sat down and refused to move.
12. What nickname did Black Beauty’s first master have for him?
13. What did Ginger tell Black Beauty in Chapter 7 that she had never had?
(a) A bridle and bit.
(b) Kind words spoken to her.
14. What new piece of equipment that Black Beauty had to learn to wear in Chapter 3 made him want to kick?
15. When telling her story in Chapter 8, Ginger insisted that she would have “tried to bare it” under what circumstances?
(a) If she had been given a saddle that fit.
(b) If she had been treated civilly.
(c) If she had been given the loose stall.
(d) If she had been given the proper amount of food.
Short Answer Questions
1. How long was Sir Oliver’s tail?
2. What was Blantyre’s relationship to Lady Anne?
3. How many years had Squire Gordon and Farmer Grey worked together to do away with check-reins?
4. What did the hunter who fell off of his horse in Chapter 2 break?
5. What prevented the animal in Chapter 2 from escaping the hunting dogs?
This section contains 478 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)