|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When spirited horses are not exercised enough, what are they sometimes called by humans?
(a) Out of control.
2. How old was Merrylegs when first introduced in the book?
3. Who was credited for saving Mrs. Gordon’s life?
(c) Black Beauty.
(d) The doctor.
4. Who was Little Joe Green?
(a) James’ replacement.
(b) John’s nephew.
(c) Squire Gordon’s nephew.
(d) Farmer Bushby’s son.
5. How many horses died in the fire at the hotel stable?
6. From what type of tree did a branch fall in the path blocking Black Beauty during the storm in Chapter 12?
7. Who named Black Beauty?
(a) Squire Gordon.
(b) No one knows.
(d) Mrs. Gordon.
8. Whose opinion about James did Mr. Gordon want?
(a) Sir Clifford Williams.
(b) Mrs. Gordon.
(c) Farmer Bushby.
9. Which horse had Mrs. Gordon sent James off on in the storm to look for Mr. Gordon, John, and Black Beauty?
(c) Sir. Oliver.
10. When telling her story in Chapter 8, Ginger insisted that she would have “tried to bare it” under what circumstances?
(a) If she had been given a saddle that fit.
(b) If she had been given the proper amount of food.
(c) If she had been given the loose stall.
(d) If she had been treated civilly.
11. How long was Sir Oliver’s tail?
(a) 7-8 inches long.
(b) 6-7 inches long.
(c) 5-6 inches long.
(d) 10-12 inches long.
12. How is Merrylegs described physically in Chapter 4?
(a) Tall, muscular, and blonde.
(b) Short, fat, and gray.
(c) Short, stalky, and white.
(d) Medium build and black with a blonde mane.
13. What did Lady Anne name Black Beauty?
(a) Black Bird.
(b) Black Auster.
14. In Chapter 1, what did Dick throw at the horses?
(a) Sticks and rocks.
(b) Celery and apples.
(d) His shoes.
15. How tall were Black Beauty and Ginger?
(a) 20 hands.
(b) 17 ½ hands.
(c) 18 hands.
(d) 15 ½ hands.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who led Black Beauty out of the burning stable in Chapter 16?
2. What was the only thing Ginger’s first master after she was broken cared about?
3. Why would the pony not obey the boy riding it in Chapter 13?
4. What was the relationship between Black Beauty and Ginger by the end of Chapter 5?
5. What animal were the hunting dogs tracking in Chapter 2?
This section contains 415 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)