|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Beth hope will protect her from Bobby?
2. How did Cindy's twin sister die?
3. What products does Cindy's mother sell?
4. Who does Beth call on Thanksgiving evening?
5. Why did Cindy marry the man she did?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Beth learn from Grace when she calls her on Thanksgiving night?
2. What does Beth reveal to Cindy about why she finally decided to leave Bobby?
3. What prevents Beth from becoming too intimate with Mike?
4. What does Beth reveal to Cindy regarding another relationship with a man when they are at the beauty salon?
5. How does Robert react when Beth and Mike begin to see more of each other?
6. What are the personal motivations that cause both Cindy and Beth to make the life decisons that they have?
7. What does Beth wonder about the real reason she has left Bobby?
8. How does Beth respond when Patty Bancroft insists that Beth and Robert move after the television news broadcast?
9. What does Beth miss the most from her old life as Frannie?
10. What does Robert admit to Beth for the first time as they have Thanksgiving dinner?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Create a character study of Bobby. What are his physical characteristics? What are his motivations? What are his fears? What are his dreams? What else can you say about Bobby?
Essay Topic 2
Compare and contrast Bobby and Mike. Both men want influence over Beth but have their hold on her in very different ways. Why are their differences classic examples of conflict in drama? What other similarities and dissimilarities are there between the two characters?
Essay Topic 3
Quindlen is a master at dramatic devices. Choose an example of symbolism, metaphors, and irony, briefly describe each and identify the technique which each represents.
This section contains 1,234 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)