|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What school project of Robert's upsets Beth?
2. What does Beth recall during an intimate moment with Mike?
3. What is the source of the noises that Beth hears near the living room windows?
4. Robert comes home from school one day with ______________.
5. Why is Robert in a better mood by Christmas night?
Short Essay Questions
1. What prevents Beth from becoming too intimate with Mike?
2. How does Robert react when Beth and Mike begin to see more of each other?
3. Why is Beth alarmed by a noise when Robert has a sleepover?
4. What does Beth do as she begins to relax and feel less panicked in her new life?
5. What does Beth miss the most from her old life as Frannie?
6. What does Robert admit to Beth for the first time as they have Thanksgiving dinner?
7. How does a bullying episode at school make Robert think about his father?
8. What does Beth wonder about the real reason she has left Bobby?
9. What does Beth reveal to Cindy about why she finally decided to leave Bobby?
10. Why does Beth resist Patty Bancroft's recent recommendations for her and Robert's safety?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Create a character study of Mike. What are his physical characteristics? What are his motivations? What are his fears? What are his dreams? What else can you say about Mike?
Essay Topic 2
BLACK AND BLUE is a classic story of loss and renewal. What does that classification entail? Why does this novel fit into this category? Explain.
Essay Topic 3
Fear seems to be almost an unnamed character in the book. How pervasive is the sense of fear? Why does it have such a prevalent place in Beth's life? Explain how an inanimate object or characteristic can be a character.
This section contains 1,219 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)