|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. After Bobby hit Frannie the first time, what article of clothing could she not wear for a week?
2. What does Patty give to Frannie when she meets her?
3. What does Bobby do while he and Frannie wait in the train station?
4. What does the woman at the coffee kiosk tell Frannie that is a code?
5. How long has Frannie's husband, Bobby, been violent toward her?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Beth hesitant to allow Robert to go off by himself in the grocery store?
2. How does Robert accept his new life as Robert Crenshaw?
3. What is the premise of BLACK AND BLUE?
4. Who is the new friend Beth meets on the first day of school?
5. Why does Frannie feel a sense of guilt regarding her injuries?
6. How does Frannie first encounter Patty Bancroft?
7. Mrs. Levitt's lifestyle reminds Frannie of what?
8. Who is Patty Bancroft and why does she do the work she does?
9. What made Frannie start to entertain the idea of leaving her husband?
10. Who does Robert befriend as soon as they move into the duplex?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare and contrast Bobby and Mike. Both men want influence over Beth but have their hold on her in very different ways. Why are their differences classic examples of conflict in drama? What other similarities and dissimilarities are there between the two characters?
Essay Topic 2
What is the significance of the book's title? What are some other possible titles for the book. List at least five and cite your reasons for each.
Essay Topic 3
Fear seems to be almost an unnamed character in the book. How pervasive is the sense of fear? Why does it have such a prevalent place in Beth's life? Explain how an inanimate object or characteristic can be a character.
This section contains 1,036 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)