|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is Beth hesitant about Robert's request?
2. What else does Patty give to Beth when she calls her?
3. Where does Beth find Robert?
4. What positive thing does Frannie recall about Bobby?
5. What warning does Patty Bancroft give to Beth?
Short Essay Questions
1. Were there ever any good moments in Frannie's marriage to Bobby?
2. How does Frannie learn her new identity?
3. What does Frannie decide for her new life with a new identity?
4. Why is Robert asked to leave the grocery store?
5. Where is Beth and Robert's new home located and of what does it remind Beth?
6. Why is Beth hesitant to allow Robert to go off by himself in the grocery store?
7. What made Frannie start to entertain the idea of leaving her husband?
8. Who does Robert befriend as soon as they move into the duplex?
9. Why does Frannie feel a sense of guilt regarding her injuries?
10. What is going on in Frannie's life at the time that she meets Patty Bancroft?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The author uses more than one instance of irony in the book. Cite at least two other examples you can identify in the novel and note why they are examples of irony.
Essay Topic 2
What is the significance of the book's title? What are some other possible titles for the book. List at least five and cite your reasons for each.
Essay Topic 3
What is the primary setting for the novel? Be sure to include geography, time period and any pertinent popular culture events. Why did Quindlen choose to use this place in the novel?
This section contains 924 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)