|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Michael get to the city center when he goes in search of his past?
2. Where was Vinu's father when Michael shot him?
3. What is the nationality of the soldier that attacked Ali Ali's sister?
4. Who kills the British soldier that attacked Hajera?
5. Which disease does Lydia begin researching after returning from the hospital?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Mikey change in the month after his mother returns from the hospital?
2. What happens when Michael finally comes face-to-face with Du Boise in the shopping mall?
3. What measures has Lydia taken to ensure that she will be able to escape from her family and relocate in Cape Town?
4. Why is Lydia called in for a meeting at Mikey's school with Dr. Johnson?
5. Why does Vinu emerge from the bushes, screaming and striking at Silas, and what is his reaction to the outburst?
6. While planning Silas's birthday party, what worries overcome Kate's thoughts at the dinner table?
7. How does Lydia react to the news that Du Boise is dead?
8. How did Michael bribe the Imam to help him in his murderous plans?
9. How did Ali Ali end up living in South Africa?
10. How does Silas feel when he knows that Lydia has left him for good this time?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
One of the biggest acts of betrayal in this novel is the way that Alec betrays his friendship with Silas and keeps a dark secret from him for almost twenty years. Explain what secret Alec is keeping from Silas, and what lengths he goes to in order to ensure that the secret would never come out. Then, explain why Alec finally decides to tell Silas, and how this admittance affected their relationship.
Essay Topic 2
The marriage between Silas and Lydia is marked by infidelities. Create a timeline of infidelities committed by both Silas and Lydia, and explain what effect these infidelities had on their marriage. Then, explain why the two decide to stay together when it is obvious they no longer love each other.
Essay Topic 3
Perhaps Silas's biggest character flaw lies in his complete passivity in regard to his family. Give three clear examples of times when Silas acts passively when the circumstances ask more of him. What effect does Silas's passivity have on his family life? Finally, explain whether or not you believe Silas overcomes his passivity by the end of the novel, and why.
This section contains 956 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)