|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of Silas's mother?
2. In what language does the Imam at the mosque speak?
3. Who emerges from the bushes where Silas is sitting, screaming and striking at him?
4. How many times did Michael think about how he would shoot the gun before he confronted Vinu's father?
5. What is the name of the mosque where Michael's grandfather was the Imam?
Short Essay Questions
1. What information does Michael have, and think about, before he shoots Du Boise?
2. How does Silas feel when he knows that Lydia has left him for good this time?
3. What story of abuse does Vinu tell Michael when she meets him at his home?
4. How did Michael bribe the Imam to help him in his murderous plans?
5. How did Ali Ali end up living in South Africa?
6. What happens between Lydia and Mikey when Silas leaves the house after a fight with his wife?
7. How does Silas react to Vinu being at Mam Agnes' anniversary party?
8. Where does Michael shoot Vinu's father, and what is his reaction to the crime?
9. How did Ouma Angel die?
10. What happened when Michael witnessed a convoy of cars outside his father's birthday party?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Even though he is dead at the time the novel is set, Ali Ali plays a large role in shaping the man Mikey becomes when he transforms into Michael. Explain Ali Ali's life story, and then explain why the knowledge of his family history has such a large effect of Mikey.
Essay Topic 2
Although Mireille is a minor character in this novel, she proves to be a symbol for many of the underlying themes. Briefly explain what happens to Mireille as a child, and why her story is symbolic of the family problems in the Ali family, and the disintegration the family is slowly enduring.
Essay Topic 3
Throughout the novel, Silas struggles to reconnect to his wife, Lydia, but finds himself unable, or unwilling, to reach her. Give two examples of times in the novel when Silas tries to reach out to his wife but fails. Then, briefly explain why each of his attempts fails. What hidden demons continue to haunt Silas in his marriage?
This section contains 902 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)