|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In what country was Ali Ali born?
2. What month of the year is known as the "month of anniversaries" in the Ali home?
3. Which of the following characters is NOT invited to the restaurant to help plan Silas's fiftieth birthday party?
4. Where does Michael shoot Du Boise, killing him?
5. Which of the following actions best describes the way the Ali family deals with their anger?
Short Essay Questions
1. What story of abuse does Vinu tell Michael when she meets him at his home?
2. How does Michael come into possession of the gun he will use to kill Vinu's father?
3. What happened when Michael witnessed a convoy of cars outside his father's birthday party?
4. How does Alec behave when he and Silas go out for dinner before Mam Agnes's anniversary party?
5. Why does Michael travel back to the city where he grew up?
6. How does Lydia react to the news that Du Boise is dead?
7. How does Silas feel when he knows that Lydia has left him for good this time?
8. How did Ouma Angel die?
9. How did Ali Ali end up living in South Africa?
10. What happens when Michael finally comes face-to-face with Du Boise in the shopping mall?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Throughout the novel, Silas struggles to reconnect to his wife, Lydia, but finds himself unable, or unwilling, to reach her. Give two examples of times in the novel when Silas tries to reach out to his wife but fails. Then, briefly explain why each of his attempts fails. What hidden demons continue to haunt Silas in his marriage?
Essay Topic 2
The marriage between Silas and Lydia is marked by infidelities. Create a timeline of infidelities committed by both Silas and Lydia, and explain what effect these infidelities had on their marriage. Then, explain why the two decide to stay together when it is obvious they no longer love each other.
Essay Topic 3
Although Mireille is a minor character in this novel, she proves to be a symbol for many of the underlying themes. Briefly explain what happens to Mireille as a child, and why her story is symbolic of the family problems in the Ali family, and the disintegration the family is slowly enduring.
This section contains 895 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)