|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Silas sit to think about the effect Joao has had on his life?
2. How does Lydia react to Silas's plea that she return home?
3. What month of the year is known as the "month of anniversaries" in the Ali home?
4. Where does Michael go to intercept Du Boise and to kill him?
5. Which of the following is the one thing Lydia admits in her conversation with Silas over the phone, from the hotel room?
Short Essay Questions
1. What measures has Lydia taken to ensure that she will be able to escape from her family and relocate in Cape Town?
2. How does Silas feel when he knows that Lydia has left him for good this time?
3. How does Alec behave when he and Silas go out for dinner before Mam Agnes's anniversary party?
4. What happened when Michael witnessed a convoy of cars outside his father's birthday party?
5. What happens when Michael finally comes face-to-face with Du Boise in the shopping mall?
6. Why does Michael travel back to the city where he grew up?
7. How does Silas react to having Lydia back in their home to recover?
8. How does Silas react to Vinu being at Mam Agnes' anniversary party?
9. How does Mikey change in the month after his mother returns from the hospital?
10. How does Silas react to Lydia's birthday gift to him?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The novel "Bitter Fruit" is set in post-apartheid South Africa. Even though the apartheid is no longer happening, the residual effects of this ethnic segregation are still very present in the lives of the Ali family. Briefly explain how the apartheid affected the Ali family directly, and give two examples of the residual effects of segregation that continue to affect all the black Africans living in South Africa.
Essay Topic 2
The women in the Ali family, Grace, Lydia, Martha, and Mam Agnes, are considered to be the strong members of the family. Describe what character traits are present in all of the Ali women, and how they use these character traits to control their men. Then, give two examples of family decisions that are made by the women with complete disregard for the opinion of the men in their family.
Essay Topic 3
The use of religion is carefully plotted out by Dangor as Mikey makes his transition from boyhood to manhood in the novel. There are two main religious icons used as symbols in the text: the Kaaba stone and the Imam. Briefly describe both the Kaaba stone and Imam, and explain how each of these religious symbols affected Mikey in his coming-of-age.
This section contains 1,014 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)