|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many times have Kate and Mikey secretly met?
2. What is the name of the woman whom Lydia chose as her fantasy lover in Durban?
3. Where was Mikey's sister sent to live?
4. What fear rouses Silas from his nightmare about death?
5. Where does Silas run into Du Boise?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Silas phone Alec, and what is he suddenly suspicious of him?
2. How does Kate react to Mikey while she is staying with him?
3. Why does Lydia have to stay as long as she does in the hospital, and how does she pass her days there?
4. How does Mikey treat the small bird that flies in through his kitchen window?
5. Why does Mikey travel to Shirley Graham's home and what is her reaction to hosting him?
6. What is the truth behind Mikey's parentage?
7. How does Silas react to seeing Lydia's injuries after she steps on the broken glass?
8. What is Mikey's reaction to reading that he is the product of a rape in his mother's diary?
9. How did Mikey come to contact his sister after she was sent away?
10. What two revelations does Lydia make when the letter arrives to her from Martha in Toronto.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
One of the biggest acts of betrayal in this novel is the way that Alec betrays his friendship with Silas and keeps a dark secret from him for almost twenty years. Explain what secret Alec is keeping from Silas, and what lengths he goes to in order to ensure that the secret would never come out. Then, explain why Alec finally decides to tell Silas, and how this admittance affected their relationship.
Essay Topic 2
Throughout the second half of the text, Mikey is performing a "separation" of his own, getting rid of all the men he believes deserve to die in South Africa. Explain what criteria Mikey uses in selecting his murder victims, and then explain how each of the murders shapes Mikey as he matures into manhood.
Essay Topic 3
At the end of the novel, both Lydia and Michael have left their hometown to relocate from their memories of Du Boise. Explain why each of these characters has chosen a life on the run, rather than a settled life. Then, explain what measures each character takes to ensure that Silas will never be able to find them.
This section contains 1,044 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)