|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Of what descent is McCann in the play?
2. Finish this sentence by Goldberg: "For a paper, perhaps, to see how the M.C.C. was getting on _______."
3. What does Goldberg tell McCann is quite different in regards to their job in Act 1, Part 2?
4. Why does Stanley suddenly grab McCann's arm in Act 2, Part 1?
5. What does Stanley tell McCann about Meg to explain her celebrating his birthday early?
Short Essay Questions
1. In what way do McCann and Goldberg say Stanley doesn't exist?
2. What is the nature of McCann and Goldberg's interrogation of Stanley?
3. Describe the game the members of the birthday party play.
4. How does Stanley react after McCann and Goldberg continue to interrogate him near the end of Act 2, Part 2?
5. What is the nature of McCann and Stanley's conversation when the former will not allow Stanley to leave?
6. What occurs to Stanley after McCann enters the room in Act 2, Part 2?
7. What is the nature of Meg and Petey's conversation regarding Stanley at the beginning of Act 3, Part 1?
8. Describe McCann as he comes downstairs in Act 3, Part 1.
9. Describe the interaction between Stanley and Meg when she asks for a cigarette.
10. What is the nature of Goldberg's discussion of his name near the end of Act 2, Part 1?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the symbolism of the broken drum in the play. In what way might it have represented Stanley's emotional state?
Essay Topic 2
Examine the parallels between Stanley and Goldberg in the play. In what way did the author create similarities in these characters?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the nature of Goldberg and McCann's relationship in the play. What seems to be the rapport between the two men? What motivates their relationship?
This section contains 642 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)