|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When does Stanley tell McCann that his birthday really is?
2. What do Stanley and Petey discuss when Stanley first comes downstairs?
3. What does McCann say Goldberg's real name is?
4. What does McCann do when Stanley grabs his arm?
5. What does Goldberg say is essential for a man to do in Act 1, Part 2?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the nature of McCann and Stanley's interaction in Act 2, Part 1?
2. What is the nature of Petey and Goldberg's conversation regarding Stanley in Act 3, Part 1?
3. What is the nature of the conversation between McCann, Goldberg, and Stanley regarding the "necessary and possible"?
4. In what way do McCann and Goldberg say Stanley doesn't exist?
5. How are the lights described at the beginning of the birthday party?
6. Describe the events that interrupt the argument between McCann, Goldberg and Stanley at the end of Act 2, Part 2.
7. What is the nature of Stanley's complaints regarding Meg in Act 1, Part 1?
8. What is the nature of Goldberg's discussion of his name near the end of Act 2, Part 1?
9. Describe the interaction between Goldberg and Lulu in Act 3, Part 2.
10. What is the nature of McCann and Stanley's conversation when the former will not allow Stanley to leave?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Examine the significance of Ireland in the play. What importance did Ireland serve to further the story along? What does Ireland have to do with Stanley's past?
Essay Topic 2
Analyze the nature of Meg's desire for Stanley in the play. How does Stanley react to these advances? What does this behavior from Meg say about her character?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the role of sexual tension in the play. What might be the author's purpose for creating this tension?
This section contains 646 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)