|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Part of Stephen's job is to write letters to __________________________.
2. What is Stephen doing in France in 1917?
3. How does Gray feel about Stephen's indifference?
4. Why does Francoise call Elizabeth on a Saturday afternoon?
5. What does the person in #135 tell Elizabeth about Stephen?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Jeanne hope to help Stephen who admits that he has lost reality?
2. What is Weir's response when Stephen asks him why he is so anxious to survive?
3. Who is Jeanne Fourmentier and in what circumstances does Stephen encounter her?
4. Who is Isabelle in love with now? How does Stephen feel about seeing her after all this time?
5. What shocks Stephen about Isabelle's appearance and what secret does she withhold from him?
6. What mixed feelings does Stephen have for his men and himself?
7. How does Jeanne make Stephen feel when he visits her?
8. What is Stephen's state of mind after Weir's death and what does Jeanne encourage him to do?
9. What are the circumstances that have Stephen and Jack trapped in a tunnel?
10. Who is the German officer who tries to locate Stephen and what has alerted him to his location in the tunnel?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
BIRDSONG is a classic story of the search for love. What does that classification entail? Why does this novel fit into this category? Explain.
Essay Topic 2
Explain the role of women in France in the early twentieth century. What precedents do they feel compelled to follow? What restrictions do they have? Do they have any freedoms that 21st century women do not have?
Essay Topic 3
Develop a character study of Jeanne. What are her physical traits? What motivates her? What are her personal characteristics? What else can you say about Jeanne?
This section contains 924 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)