|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Elizabeth's mother live?
2. Jeanne tells Stephen that Isabelle is ________________________.
3. How does Weir die?
4. Part of Stephen's job is to write letters to __________________________.
5. What is the content of the letter Stephen receives from Jeanne?
Short Essay Questions
1. What shocks Stephen about Isabelle's appearance and what secret does she withhold from him?
2. Who is the German officer who tries to locate Stephen and what has alerted him to his location in the tunnel?
3. What does Jeanne tell Stephen about Isabelle since the time she left Stephen?
4. What does Weir's worry about a pending attack foreshadow?
5. What accounts for Stephen's indifference when he returns to the Front in 1918 France?
6. Who is Isabelle in love with now? How does Stephen feel about seeing her after all this time?
7. What promise does Stephen make to Jack before he dies in the tunnel?
8. What shocks Jeanne about Stephen's appearance when he visit her during his leave?
9. What does Elizabeth learn about Stephen from his diary after Bob has cracked the code?
10. How does Stephen behave with Jeanne that shows he still loves Isabelle and that the war has affected his mental state?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain the author's use of point of view in this story. Why did he choose to tell the story from the perspective he did? Cite an example of the point of view used.
Essay Topic 2
What is the nature of Stephen's anguish related to World War I? What impact did the war have on Stephen physically and emotionally?
Essay Topic 3
Develop a character study of Jeanne. What are her physical traits? What motivates her? What are her personal characteristics? What else can you say about Jeanne?
This section contains 900 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)