|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Stephen buy from a rude salesman in Norfolk?
2. What does Jeanne admit to Stephen?
3. What does Robert answer Elizabeth when she asks him about when he will marry her?
4. What words of encouragement does Jeanne offer to Stephen?
5. What does Weir tell Stephen about going home on leave?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who is Elizabeth and why does she have an interest in learning about her family's history?
2. What is Stephen's state of mind after Weir's death and what does Jeanne encourage him to do?
3. What accounts for Stephen's indifference when he returns to the Front in 1918 France?
4. What does Elizabeth learn about Stephen from his diary after Bob has cracked the code?
5. How does Elizabeth's life parallel Stephen's life regarding love?
6. What does Jeanne tell Stephen about Isabelle since the time she left Stephen?
7. Why does Jeanne hope to help Stephen who admits that he has lost reality?
8. Who is Jeanne Fourmentier and in what circumstances does Stephen encounter her?
9. What is Weir's response when Stephen asks him why he is so anxious to survive?
10. What is Robert's response when Elizabeth asks when he will leave his wife?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The author uses some important instances of foreshadowing in the story. Explain what foreshadowing is and cite at least two examples making sure to explain what makes each an example of foreshadowing.
Essay Topic 2
Explain the author's use of point of view in this story. Why did he choose to tell the story from the perspective he did? Cite an example of the point of view used.
Essay Topic 3
Faulks uses more than one iteration on the theme of beauty. Identify at least two themes about beauty in the story. Then cite an example to support each theme you name.
This section contains 919 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)