|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Whose name does Stephen sob as Jeanne holds him?
2. Who is the only one who escapes from the tunnel explosion?
3. Who is Francoise?
4. How many notebooks does Francoise estimate there are in the attic?
5. What does Isabelle do after Stephen leaves?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Robert's response when Elizabeth asks when he will leave his wife?
2. Who is the German officer who tries to locate Stephen and what has alerted him to his location in the tunnel?
3. What does Elizabeth learn about Stephen from his diary after Bob has cracked the code?
4. What does Stephen do on his leave in England?
5. How is Elizabeth unlike her grandmother regarding her pregnancy?
6. Isabelle is in love with Max, but in what way does her love for Stephen exist?
7. What does Weir's worry about a pending attack foreshadow?
8. What unusual relationship develops between Stephen and Levi?
9. Why is Stephen being pressured to take an office job during the war?
10. What does Jeanne tell Stephen about Isabelle since the time she left Stephen?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the overall settings for the novel. Why does Faulks use the settings he does? What are the time periods of the story? How important are the time periods to the attitudes and issues of the characters?
Essay Topic 2
Faulks uses more than one iteration on the theme of beauty. Identify at least two themes about beauty in the story. Then cite an example to support each theme you name.
Essay Topic 3
What is the nature of Stephen's anguish related to World War I? What impact did the war have on Stephen physically and emotionally?
This section contains 884 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)