|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What lie does Isabelle tell her husband when he asks about her day?
2. Out of the 800 men in the battalion, there are only _________________ left after the battle.
3. Who is Jeanne?
4. Why is Azaire happy when he comes home from work?
5. Stephen admits he does not love his men because _________________________.
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is it that Stephen does not love his men as Captain Gray urges him to do?
2. Why does Stephen write to Isabelle prior to a big battle?
3. Why does Isabelle fear that Stephen's feelings for her have changed after their sexual encounter?
4. What logic does Stephen employ when Isabelle is hesitant to go to England with Stephen?
5. What are some things that could account for the contentious nature between Azaire and Isabelle?
6. Why does Stephen not want an office job?
7. Why is Weir filled with anxiety when Stephen tells him he is taking him to the village one night?
8. Why does Isabelle leave Stephen with no word when they are living in St.-Remy-de-Provence?
9. How did Stephen channel the loss of Isabelle into his behavior in the war?
10. What does Stephen discover about Isabelle when he follows her to Lucien Lebrun's house one day?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Develop a character study of Jeanne. What are her physical traits? What motivates her? What are her personal characteristics? What else can you say about Jeanne?
Essay Topic 2
Depression takes on an almost human persona in this story. What is this literary technique called? Cite examples that support this position.
Essay Topic 3
Explain the role of women in France in the early twentieth century. What precedents do they feel compelled to follow? What restrictions do they have? Do they have any freedoms that 21st century women do not have?
This section contains 1,048 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)