|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was Isabelle's maiden name?
2. On what street is Isabelle's house located?
3. Captain Gray tells Stephen that they are planning to attack at the River _______________ very soon.
4. Why can Isabelle not stop sleeping with Azaire?
5. What is frustrating for Isabelle's husband in their marriage?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Stephen tell Weir when he wants to hear something other than war talk?
2. What logic does Stephen employ when Isabelle is hesitant to go to England with Stephen?
3. How does Lisette press herself on Stephen and what does she ultimately agree not to do?
4. What is Lisette's interest in Stephen?
5. Why does Stephen vow to protect Isabelle and how does she feel about it?
6. What is the significance of Stephen's dream about a trapped bird?
7. Why does Isabelle leave Stephen with no word when they are living in St.-Remy-de-Provence?
8. How did Stephen channel the loss of Isabelle into his behavior in the war?
9. What does Jack's letter from his wife foreshadow?
10. Why does the prostitute forgive Stephen for cutting her leg?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Survival seems to be almost an unnamed character in the book. How pervasive is the sense of survival? Why does it have such a prevalent place in the characters' lives? Explain how an inanimate object or characteristic can be a character.
Essay Topic 2
Explain the role of women in France in the early twentieth century. What precedents do they feel compelled to follow? What restrictions do they have? Do they have any freedoms that 21st century women do not have?
Essay Topic 3
Develop a character study of Stephen. What are his physical traits? What motivates him? What are his personal characteristics? What else can you say about Stephen?
This section contains 903 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)