|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is on strike at Azarie's factory?
2. Why does Stephen not go after Isabelle when she leaves?
3. What do Azaire and Stephen talk about doing together?
4. At dinner, Mr. Azaire asks Stephen what he knows about ________________.
5. What does Jack's wife tell him about their son in a letter?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did Stephen channel the loss of Isabelle into his behavior in the war?
2. What is Lisette's interest in Stephen?
3. What is the significance of Stephen's dream about a trapped bird?
4. What are some things that could account for the contentious nature between Azaire and Isabelle?
5. Why does Stephen not want an office job?
6. Why is Weir filled with anxiety when Stephen tells him he is taking him to the village one night?
7. How does Azaire learn that Isabelle is running away with Stephen?
8. Why does Stephen vow to protect Isabelle and how does she feel about it?
9. What two events foreshadow Stephen's romantic relationship with Mme. Azaire (Isabelle)?
10. What does Stephen discover about Isabelle when he follows her to Lucien Lebrun's house one day?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The role of women is a main topic addressed in this story. Explain the theme that extends through all the female characters. What is the presumed role of women in France in the early twentieth century. What about during the post-war years? How did the role of women change?
Essay Topic 2
Develop a character study of Jeanne. What are her physical traits? What motivates her? What are her personal characteristics? What else can you say about Jeanne?
Essay Topic 3
Faulks uses more than one iteration on the theme of beauty. Identify at least two themes about beauty in the story. Then cite an example to support each theme you name.
This section contains 918 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)