|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is frustrating for Isabelle's husband in their marriage?
2. Why does Stephen try to be fearless in the war?
3. Why does the prostitute forgive Stephen for hurting her?
4. What does Stephen do every evening in his room?
5. Who is Stephen's guardian?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Isabelle fear that Stephen's feelings for her have changed after their sexual encounter?
2. Why does Stephen feel that he cannot return to England when his employer tells him to do so?
3. How does Jack feel about the letter he receives from his wife, Margaret?
4. What does Jack's letter from his wife foreshadow?
5. Why does Stephen not want an office job?
6. Why does Stephen vow to protect Isabelle and how does she feel about it?
7. How does Lisette press herself on Stephen and what does she ultimately agree not to do?
8. What is the setting for Part 2 of the novel?
9. Why does Stephen write to Isabelle prior to a big battle?
10. What does Isabelle know her life will be when Stephen returns to England?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
BIRDSONG is a classic story of the search for love. What does that classification entail? Why does this novel fit into this category? Explain.
Essay Topic 2
Sebastian Faulks is a master at dramatic devices. Choose an example of symbolism, metaphors, and irony. Briefly describe each example and identify the technique which they embody.
Essay Topic 3
Develop a character study of Isabelle. What are her physical traits? What motivates her? What are her personal characteristics? What else can you say about Isabelle?
This section contains 891 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)