|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Mme. Azaire can be described as __________________.
2. What does Stephen dream of when he rests after the boat outing?
(a) Lying in a field of flowers.
(c) Walking through fog.
(d) Saving a trapped bird.
3. What information does Isabelle withhold from Stephen?
(a) She found a job.
(b) She has a letter from Azaire.
(c) She is pregnant.
(d) She is ill.
4. Who is on strike at Azarie's factory?
(a) The dyers.
(b) The stringers.
(c) The cutters.
(d) The salesmen.
5. Why does Stephen decide not to return to England?
(a) He thinks the weather is bad for travel.
(b) He has not learned everything at the factory.
(c) He wants to extend his holiday.
(d) He is infatuated with Isabelle.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Stephen tell Isabelle about Lisette?
2. Why did Weir join the army?
3. What does Stephen talk about when Weir asks him to talk about anything other than the war?
4. Where do Isabelle and Stephen make love for the first time?
5. What does Mme. Azaire bring to the dyers families?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why has Stephen come to France?
2. What does Stephen discover about Isabelle when he follows her to Lucien Lebrun's house one day?
3. Why does Stephen not want an office job?
4. How does Lisette press herself on Stephen and what does she ultimately agree not to do?
5. Why does Isabelle fear that Stephen's feelings for her have changed after their sexual encounter?
6. How does Stephen punish Jack for falling asleep on sentry duty?
7. What is revealed about Stephen's time with Isabelle as he reminisces during a leave from the Front?
8. Why does Stephen vow to protect Isabelle and how does she feel about it?
9. What does Jack's letter from his wife foreshadow?
10. What two events foreshadow Stephen's romantic relationship with Mme. Azaire (Isabelle)?
This section contains 971 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)