|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the content of Margaret's letter to Jack?
(a) Their daughter has been born.
(b) Their son has died.
(c) His mother is very ill.
(d) She is pregnant.
2. What lie does Isabelle tell her husband when he asks about her day?
(a) She ran her usual errands in town.
(b) She was in bed with a migraine.
(c) She went biking with Jeanne.
(d) She made plum jam.
3. Captain Gray tells Stephen that they are planning to attack at the River _______________ very soon.
4. What is frustrating for Isabelle's husband in their marriage?
(a) He cannot keep a job.
(b) He cannot impregnate her.
(c) She cannot cook.
(d) She spends too much money.
5. What war is taking place during the book?
(a) World War I.
(b) The War of 1812.
(c) The Korean War.
(d) World War II.
Short Answer Questions
1. Mme. Azaire can be described as __________________.
2. What does Jack's wife tell him about their son in a letter?
3. Why is Mr. Azaire in a good mood at the beginning of Section 3?
4. Stephen is _________________ years younger than Isabelle.
5. Where was Stephen's body wounded during the battle?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why has Stephen come to France?
2. Why is Weir filled with anxiety when Stephen tells him he is taking him to the village one night?
3. Why does Stephen not want an office job?
4. What logic does Stephen employ when Isabelle is hesitant to go to England with Stephen?
5. What is Stephen's nighttime ritual which will become important later in the book?
6. Why does Stephen vow to protect Isabelle and how does she feel about it?
7. What does Isabelle know her life will be when Stephen returns to England?
8. What is the significance of Stephen's dream about a trapped bird?
9. How does Jack feel about the letter he receives from his wife, Margaret?
10. Why does Isabelle leave Stephen with no word when they are living in St.-Remy-de-Provence?
This section contains 979 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)