|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Stephen and Isabelle celebrate Stephen's ___________________ birthday together.
2. Who is aware of the affair between Stephen and Isabelle?
3. What does Stephen NOT tell Isabelle?
(a) The date of his departure.
(b) He loves her.
(c) He will protect her.
(d) He will take care of her.
4. What does Stephen do every evening in his room?
(a) Write letters.
(d) Write in a notebook.
5. Out of the 800 men in the battalion, there are only _________________ left after the battle.
Short Answer Questions
1. Isabelle thinks that she should feel __________________ about sleeping with Stephen.
2. What does Mme. Azaire bring to the dyers families?
3. What is Fritz?
4. Why can Isabelle not stop sleeping with Azaire?
5. On night patrol, Stephen's body tenses with hatred as he listens to sounds of _________________.
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Azaire learn that Isabelle is running away with Stephen?
2. Why does Stephen feel that he cannot return to England when his employer tells him to do so?
3. Why does the prostitute forgive Stephen for cutting her leg?
4. What is Stephen's nighttime ritual which will become important later in the book?
5. What two events foreshadow Stephen's romantic relationship with Mme. Azaire (Isabelle)?
6. What is the significance of Stephen's dream about a trapped bird?
7. How does Jack feel about the letter he receives from his wife, Margaret?
8. How does Lisette press herself on Stephen and what does she ultimately agree not to do?
9. What is the setting for Part 2 of the novel?
10. Why does Isabelle leave Stephen with no word when they are living in St.-Remy-de-Provence?
This section contains 851 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)