|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the only thing the person Elizabeth contacted can say about Stephen?
(a) Everyone thought he was mad.
(b) He was very loyal.
(c) He was always telling jokes.
(d) He was the most courageous of all of the men.
2. Where does Elizabeth's mother live?
3. Which of the following is NOT one of the men working in a tunnel with Stephen?
4. Weir tells Stephen that ___________________ is all he has.
(a) His life.
(b) His money.
(c) His wife.
(d) His religion.
5. What does Stephen learn after he is rescued from the tunnel?
(a) He is a prisoner of war.
(b) The Germans have captured his post.
(c) The war is over.
(d) He has lost his hearing.
6. Stephen's indifference stems from too much __________________.
7. How many of Weir's men are buried in the tunnel explosion?
8. What shocks Stephen about Isabelle's appearance?
(a) Her head is nearly bald.
(b) Her face is badly scarred.
(c) She is missing some fingers.
(d) She has a very bad limp.
9. Whose name is dominant in the regimental records Elizabeth is able to access?
(a) Lieutenant Morton's.
(b) General Sloane's.
(c) Captain Weir's.
(d) Colonel Gray's.
10. What does Jeanne admit to Stephen?
(a) He has a daughter.
(b) Isabelle has died.
(c) She loves him.
(d) Isabelle loves him.
11. Stephen sometimes loves his men for their __________________, but sometimes feels contempt for them.
12. What does Robert remove from his flat before Elizabeth arrives?
(a) Dirty dishes.
(b) Beer bottles.
(c) Dirty clothes.
(d) Items belonging to his family.
13. Section 13 takes place in which country?
14. What does Elizabeth ask her co-workers, Irene and Erich?
(a) If they want to go to the opera with her.
(b) Where they think she should buy a house.
(c) If they know anything about World War I.
(d) If they want to go out after work.
15. Who tells Stephen that he is doing well one morning?
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Elizabeth know about Robert?
2. Why does Stephen return to France early?
3. What is Stephen doing when he sees Jeanne Fourmentier?
4. What does Stephen tell Jeanne about in a letter?
5. Which of the following is NOT something revealed in one of Stephen's notebooks?
This section contains 444 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)