|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Weir tell Stephen about going home on leave?
(a) He felt like a little boy again.
(b) His girlfriend broke up with him.
(c) He had nothing to talk about with his parents.
(d) It was good to see his school friends.
2. What does Stephen learn after he is rescued from the tunnel?
(a) The Germans have captured his post.
(b) He has lost his hearing.
(c) The war is over.
(d) He is a prisoner of war.
3. What happens to Jack in the tunnel explosion?
(a) He loses a leg.
(b) His hand is blown off.
(c) His legs are broken.
(d) He suffers a head wound.
4. Who dies in the aftermath of the tunnel explosion?
5. Isabelle thinks that Stephen has ______________________.
(a) Changed nearly beyond recognition.
(b) Rekindled the passion in her.
(c) Come at a bad time.
(d) Brought back too many painful memories.
6. How long has it been since Elizabeth gave Bob the diary and he has had no progress with it?
(a) Four weeks.
(b) Six months.
(c) One week.
(d) Two months.
7. How many men die in the tunnel explosion?
8. What does Stephen's new office job entail during the war?
(b) Combat training.
(c) Editing a military newspaper.
(d) Studying maps to locate battalions.
9. What do Jeanne and Stephen talk about when he visits her?
(a) His family.
(b) Their future happiness.
(c) Her career.
(d) The aftermath of war.
10. How does Stephen pass the night and next day awaiting his meeting with Jeanne?
11. Where has Stephen returned in Section 13?
(c) The Front.
12. What does Elizabeth know about Robert?
(a) He is very ill.
(b) He is cowardly.
(c) He will never leave his wife.
(d) He is a genius.
13. What shocks Stephen about Isabelle's appearance?
(a) Her face is badly scarred.
(b) She is missing some fingers.
(c) Her head is nearly bald.
(d) She has a very bad limp.
14. Who is the German solider who leads two men into Stephen's tunnel?
(a) Lieutenant Levi.
(b) Captain Meijer.
(c) Colonel Schmidt.
(d) Major Schultz.
15. Section 13 takes place in which country?
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Stephen tell Jeanne about in a letter?
2. What is the content of the letter Stephen receives from Jeanne?
3. Why does Francoise call Elizabeth on a Saturday afternoon?
4. Which of the following does Elizabeth NOT find in the trunk in her mother's attic?
5. Who is Elizabeth's grandfather?
This section contains 449 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)