|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is Stephen's guardian?
(a) Mr. Lefevre.
(b) Mr. Dapore.
(c) Mr. Girard.
(d) Mr. Vaughan.
2. Stephen admits he does not love his men because _________________________.
(a) He does not want to get involved.
(b) He does not value his own life.
(c) He wants to return home with no attachments.
(d) He is incapable of loving anyone.
3. What lie does Isabelle tell the Berards about how she spent her afternoon?
(a) She read a book.
(b) She went shopping.
(c) She worked on her needlepoint.
(d) She took a long nap.
4. Stephen says his men do not respect him because _________________.
(a) He despises them.
(b) He abandons them on the battlefield.
(c) He is not a good leader.
(d) He doesn't get the supplies they need.
5. Who is on strike at Azarie's factory?
(a) The salesmen.
(b) The cutters.
(c) The stringers.
(d) The dyers.
6. Captain Gray tells Stephen that Stephen's men will fight better if ________________________.
(a) They understand the cause.
(b) He makes them love him.
(c) They have enough food and rest.
(d) They have more training.
7. Why can Isabelle not stop sleeping with Azaire?
(a) He will beat her even more.
(b) He will tell everyone she is a bad wife.
(c) He will put her out of the house.
(d) She is strangely attracted to him.
8. What is frustrating for Isabelle's husband in their marriage?
(a) He cannot keep a job.
(b) She spends too much money.
(c) He cannot impregnate her.
(d) She cannot cook.
9. What was Jean Destournel's profession?
(d) Infantry officer.
10. Isabelle thinks that she should feel __________________ about sleeping with Stephen.
11. At dinner, Mr. Azaire asks Stephen what he knows about ________________.
12. On what street is Isabelle's house located?
(a) Boulevard du Maire.
(b) Boulevard du Cange.
(c) Boulevard du Aguillion.
(d) Boulevard du Basque.
13. What nationality is Stephen?
14. After Stephen recovers, Captain Gray tells him that he will be getting an office job at _______________.
15. What information does Isabelle withhold from Stephen?
(a) She is ill.
(b) She found a job.
(c) She is pregnant.
(d) She has a letter from Azaire.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Mme. Azaire bring to the dyers families?
2. What does Stephen NOT tell Isabelle?
3. Who is Jeanne?
4. What lie does Isabelle tell her husband when he asks about her day?
5. Stephen is _________________ years younger than Isabelle.
This section contains 416 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)