|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Stephen give to Lisette at lunch?
(a) A wood carving.
(b) A diary.
(c) A brooch.
(d) A flower.
2. Why does Stephen try to be fearless in the war?
(a) To get a promotion.
(b) To be a good officer.
(c) To comfort his men.
(d) To fool himself.
3. Where does Weir suspect that Stephen is taking him when they go to the village one night?
(a) To a dance hall.
(b) To visit a prostitute.
(c) To an opera.
(d) To a tavern.
4. What does Jack's wife tell him about their son in a letter?
(a) He has joined the Boy Scouts.
(b) He broke his leg falling out of a tree.
(c) He is in the hospital with a fever.
(d) He got straight A's this term.
5. On the boat, Isabelle's foot rests against ____________________.
(a) A rope.
(b) Stephen's calf.
(c) Stephen's foot.
(d) A paddle.
6. Why does Stephen not go after Isabelle when she leaves?
(a) There is nothing he can do to change her mind.
(b) The weather is too bad for travel.
(c) He is too sick to go right now.
(d) He doesn't know where she went.
7. Where do Isabelle and Stephen make love for the first time?
(a) The red room.
(b) His bedroom.
(c) The garden.
(d) The wine cellar.
8. What does Mme. Azaire bring to the dyers families?
9. Why does Stephen decide not to return to England?
(a) He is infatuated with Isabelle.
(b) He thinks the weather is bad for travel.
(c) He has not learned everything at the factory.
(d) He wants to extend his holiday.
10. What is the content of Margaret's letter to Jack?
(a) She is pregnant.
(b) Their son has died.
(c) Their daughter has been born.
(d) His mother is very ill.
11. Stephen says his men do not respect him because _________________.
(a) He doesn't get the supplies they need.
(b) He despises them.
(c) He abandons them on the battlefield.
(d) He is not a good leader.
12. Stephen and Isabelle celebrate Stephen's ___________________ birthday together.
13. Stephen's company rests three days in _______________ when they are relieved at the front.
14. How is Stephen wounded?
(a) The enemy attacks in the tunnel.
(b) His gun goes off by accident.
(c) He is hit by friendly fire.
(d) He falls on a grenade.
15. What does Stephen find out about Weir?
(a) He went to Harvard.
(b) He comes from a wealthy family.
(c) He is still a virgin.
(d) He is divorced.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who did Isabelle marry?
2. What does the phrase, "he was put over the wall" mean?
3. What does Isabelle trust Stephen to do?
4. Who does Stephen write to prior to going into battle at the Front?
5. On what street is Isabelle's house located?
This section contains 485 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)