|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is aware of the affair between Stephen and Isabelle?
2. What is frustrating for Isabelle's husband in their marriage?
(a) He cannot impregnate her.
(b) She spends too much money.
(c) He cannot keep a job.
(d) She cannot cook.
3. What does Stephen NOT tell Isabelle?
(a) The date of his departure.
(b) He will protect her.
(c) He loves her.
(d) He will take care of her.
4. What do most of the men do when they are on break from the mining?
(d) Write letters.
5. Where does Mr. Azaire take Stephen the next morning?
(a) A tour of the factory.
(b) A hiking outing.
(c) A cafe for breakfast.
(d) A church.
6. Where was Stephen's body wounded during the battle?
(a) His head.
(b) His leg.
(c) His arm.
(d) His abdomen.
7. Where do Isabelle and Stephen make love for the first time?
(a) The red room.
(b) The garden.
(c) His bedroom.
(d) The wine cellar.
8. Who is Stephen's guardian?
(a) Mr. Dapore.
(b) Mr. Girard.
(c) Mr. Lefevre.
(d) Mr. Vaughan.
9. Who is Jeanne?
(a) Isabelle's sister.
(b) Isabelle's stepdaughter.
(c) Azaire's sister.
(d) Stephen's mother.
10. From whom does Jack receive a letter which he delays opening?
(a) His father.
(b) His wife.
(c) His brother.
(d) His mother.
11. Stephen says his men do not respect him because _________________.
(a) He abandons them on the battlefield.
(b) He is not a good leader.
(c) He doesn't get the supplies they need.
(d) He despises them.
12. What is the content of Margaret's letter to Jack?
(a) His mother is very ill.
(b) Their daughter has been born.
(c) Their son has died.
(d) She is pregnant.
13. Captain Gray tells Stephen that they are planning to attack at the River _______________ very soon.
14. Stephen is _________________ years younger than Isabelle.
15. What does Stephen give to Lisette at lunch?
(a) A diary.
(b) A wood carving.
(c) A flower.
(d) A brooch.
Short Answer Questions
1. Isabelle thinks that she should feel __________________ about sleeping with Stephen.
2. What is Captain Weir's first name?
3. How old is Lisette?
4. What does Stephen do every evening in his room?
5. On night patrol, Stephen's body tenses with hatred as he listens to sounds of _________________.
This section contains 352 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)