|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What new health problem beset Margo after Leslie's court case?
2. What was Fan talking about when the group returned to their hotel rooms after the seance?
3. When Roger first saw the gypsy in the olive grove, what did he think the gypsy had with him?
4. What kind of trees lined the path to Countess Mavrodaki's villa?
5. What did the doctor in Corfu recommend to treat Margo's health problems?
Short Essay Questions
1. Where did Margo go for treatment for her acne and weight gain? With whom did she stay? Was the treatment successful?
2. What did Donald want to read to Larry? What was Larry's response? What was Mother's response?
3. Who arrived at the house in the middle of the night? Where did they come from and why did they come to the villa? How did the family react to their arrival?
4. What happened when Gerald arrived home after his visit with Pavlo and the gypsy?
5. What sound woke Larry in the middle of the night that caused him to wake the rest of the family? What did Gerald tell them all that explained things? What had caused the noise?
6. Who was the Countess Mavrodaki? Why did she contact Gerald? What was Larry's reaction to her letter to Gerald?
7. Who was Tickletummy? Where did Tickletummy come from? What special quality did Tickletummy have that warranted his name?
8. Who did Gerald entrust to care for his baby hedgehogs while he was gone for the weekend with his mother? What condition were they in when he returned?
9. What happened to Mother, Larry and the rest of the crew on the yacht ride with Mother? How did Mother react to the event? What was in the letter Captain Creech sent Mother after his departure and how did Mother respond to it?
10. Who did Gerald and his mother find sitting on their front porch the afternoon they returned from their excursion into the olive groves? Where did this person come from and why? How did Mother get along with this new guest?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In almost all chapters of his memoir, Chapter Ten excluded, Durrell introduces new people into the story. Discuss the purpose of the introductions of Sven Olson, Donald and Max, and Captain Creech. What purpose do these people serve in the story, and what does their presence in the chapter allow Durrell to remember about his family members?
Essay Topic 2
The writer uses dialogue to enhance the characters and often to inject humor into a situation. What are three examples of memorable dialogue in the memoir? Why are they memorable, and why are they important to the memoir?
Essay Topic 3
Describe Mother and her different roles in the memoir. She is a mother and the keeper of the Durrell family. What else does the reader know about her from reading the memoir? How does she relate to others?
This section contains 1,308 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)