|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Gerald wear to his visit with the Countess?
2. What unusual thing did Gerald's spade-footed toad do when shown food?
3. What song were Donald and Max singing as they approached the Durrell home?
4. What animal was in the middle of the olive press pulling the grindstone?
5. How did Gerald plan to feed the baby hedgehogs?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who did Gerald meet one day during one of his excursions into the crepe myrtles? What unusual creature did this person have?
2. Who arrived at the house in the middle of the night? Where did they come from and why did they come to the villa? How did the family react to their arrival?
3. Who was Tickletummy? Where did Tickletummy come from? What special quality did Tickletummy have that warranted his name?
4. How did Mother respond to meeting Mawake and Mrs. Haddock? How was this reaction unusual for Mother? What was the conclusion of the meeting?
5. What was the bear's name? How did he respond to Gerald? What was Gerald's reaction to the bear?
6. What happened to Mother, Larry and the rest of the crew on the yacht ride with Mother? How did Mother react to the event? What was in the letter Captain Creech sent Mother after his departure and how did Mother respond to it?
7. What did Gerald find in a field an old woman was cultivating? What did Gerald do with his find?
8. What did Gerald do with his owl when he got home? What name did he give his owl? Where did he place the owl once he had tended to him?
9. Who did Gerald entrust to care for his baby hedgehogs while he was gone for the weekend with his mother? What condition were they in when he returned?
10. Who did Gerald and his mother find sitting on their front porch the afternoon they returned from their excursion into the olive groves? Where did this person come from and why? How did Mother get along with this new guest?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Throughout the memoir, Gerald Durrell uses the five senses to enhance his detailed descriptions of life on Corfu. Discuss the use of this device as a means of description in the memoir. Include examples of some of the senses that Gerald depends on in his life in nature.
Essay Topic 2
Based on all of the information provided in both narrative and dialogue, what are some of the characteristics of the author when he was a child? For example, how did he adjust to the move to Corfu, and what does that tell us about him as a child? What were the major influences on the author during his years in Corfu?
Essay Topic 3
There are many important scenes in the memoir in which the whole family reacts to something Gerald has done. One is the family's reaction to Pavlo. Another is the description of the turtle on the veranda. By their reactions, the family provides us with important parts of their personalities. Compare and contrast these two important examples of the family reacting to something Gerald has done, and discuss what we learn about the people involved.
This section contains 1,322 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)