|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How did Gerald plan to feed the baby hedgehogs?
2. What did Margo ask her mother to do with the cabbage she had brought with her to the hotel?
3. What did Roger and Gerald witness the morning they were observing two snakes?
4. What did the doctor in Corfu recommend to treat Margo's health problems?
5. When did Gerald and his family move to a new villa?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who did Gerald entrust to care for his baby hedgehogs while he was gone for the weekend with his mother? What condition were they in when he returned?
2. Who did Gerald and his mother find sitting on their front porch the afternoon they returned from their excursion into the olive groves? Where did this person come from and why? How did Mother get along with this new guest?
3. Who was Demetrios-Mustapha? How did he get this name?
4. What did Gerald find in a field an old woman was cultivating? What did Gerald do with his find?
5. Who was Tickletummy? Where did Tickletummy come from? What special quality did Tickletummy have that warranted his name?
6. What kinds of food and drink did Gerald's luncheon with the Countess consist of? How did Gerald feel as he left the Countess' villa to go home?
7. Who was the Countess Mavrodaki? Why did she contact Gerald? What was Larry's reaction to her letter to Gerald?
8. What was the bear's name? How did he respond to Gerald? What was Gerald's reaction to the bear?
9. What was the Talking Head? How did it work?
10. Who did Gerald meet one day during one of his excursions into the crepe myrtles? What unusual creature did this person have?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Based on all of the information provided in both narrative and dialogue, what are some of the characteristics of the author when he was a child? For example, how did he adjust to the move to Corfu, and what does that tell us about him as a child? What were the major influences on the author during his years in Corfu?
Essay Topic 2
Durrell dedicated his memoir to Theodore Stephanides. Who was Theodore Stephanides in Durrell's life? Why do you think Durrell dedicated his book to him?
Essay Topic 3
In almost all chapters of his memoir, Chapter Ten excluded, Durrell introduces new people into the story. Discuss the purpose of the introductions of Sven Olson, Donald and Max, and Captain Creech. What purpose do these people serve in the story, and what does their presence in the chapter allow Durrell to remember about his family members?
This section contains 1,135 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)