|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How did Gerald transport the owl back to his villa?
2. Where did the family find the missing Donald who was yelling "cooee?"
3. When Gerald asked if he could touch Pavlo, what was the gypsy's reply?
4. What did the Countess and Demetrios serve for the main course of the meal?
5. What animal was in the middle of the olive press pulling the grindstone?
Short Essay Questions
1. What sound woke Larry in the middle of the night that caused him to wake the rest of the family? What did Gerald tell them all that explained things? What had caused the noise?
2. What did Pru tell Mother about Margo's behavior in London? What were her concerns? How did Margo react to the concerns of her great aunts and mother?
3. Who arrived at the house in the middle of the night? Where did they come from and why did they come to the villa? How did the family react to their arrival?
4. Who was Tickletummy? Where did Tickletummy come from? What special quality did Tickletummy have that warranted his name?
5. What kinds of food and drink did Gerald's luncheon with the Countess consist of? How did Gerald feel as he left the Countess' villa to go home?
6. What happened to Mother, Larry and the rest of the crew on the yacht ride with Mother? How did Mother react to the event? What was in the letter Captain Creech sent Mother after his departure and how did Mother respond to it?
7. What did Gerald observe about the women and the machinery of pressing olives?
8. What misadventure did Gerald have on his way to meet Countess Mavrodaki? How did he feel when he arrived at her house? What was her response to his misadventure on the way over?
9. What did Gerald do with his owl when he got home? What name did he give his owl? Where did he place the owl once he had tended to him?
10. How did Mother respond to meeting Mawake and Mrs. Haddock? How was this reaction unusual for Mother? What was the conclusion of the meeting?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Who is Kralefsky? He is given an opportunity to tell a story in Chapter Nine. What is the story he tells, and why does Gerald doubt the truth of the story?
Essay Topic 2
In almost all chapters of his memoir, Chapter Ten excluded, Durrell introduces new people into the story. Discuss the purpose of the introductions of Sven Olson, Donald and Max, and Captain Creech. What purpose do these people serve in the story, and what does their presence in the chapter allow Durrell to remember about his family members?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the importance of the chapter "Interlude for Spirits" to the memoir. Why did the author choose this title for the chapter? How does this chapter fit in with the rest of the memoir? Which characters are in the spotlight in this chapter and why?
This section contains 1,326 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)