|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How did Mother describe Sven Olsen as he left her home?
2. What part of the fish Taki caught was poisonous?
3. What was the second catch of the fishing expedition for Taki?
4. On one of his solo adventures, where did Gerald find a water-spider he brought home to study?
5. What fish did Taki and Gerald see lying on the shore during their fishing trip?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did Gerald's family react to the seahorses? What unusual thing did Theodore teach Gerald about seahorses?
2. What creature did Gerald discover on an afternoon trek to the lake alone? Why was this creature especially important to Gerald? What was unique about this creature?
3. What dead creature did Gerald load onto his boat and bring home from the bay? What did he do with it upon coming home? How did the family react to his newest creature?
4. Who was Sven? How did he come upon the Durrell family? What was Sven's unusual talent that drove the family crazy? What did Gerald learn Sven had in common with him?
5. Who did Mother hire to be Gerald's tutor? How did the two initially get along? What did his tutor do that changed Gerald's perspective on learning?
6. What was the set pattern Theo and Gerald had established for their excursions? What was the first thing they did when settling into a new spot?
7. What did Gerald do with the crab he and Roger discovered on one of their walks? What did Gerald find fascinating about the crab that led him to further exploration?
8. Who was the first friend the family made upon arriving on the island of Corfu? What important help did this new friend give Gerald and his family?
9. What was the "hypocritical prayer?" What did Gerald observe about this creature?
10. Who was Roger? How did Gerald meet Roger? What did Gerald and Roger do together on the island?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Gerald gives detailed descriptions of two customs of the village in which he lives. One is the wedding ceremony, and another childbirth. Describe both of these customs, and how Gerald ends up witnessing them both in his first months on the island.
Essay Topic 2
Who is Kralefsky? He is given an opportunity to tell a story in Chapter Nine. What is the story he tells, and why does Gerald doubt the truth of the story?
Essay Topic 3
Based on all of the information provided in both narrative and dialogue, what are some of the characteristics of the author when he was a child? For example, how did he adjust to the move to Corfu, and what does that tell us about him as a child? What were the major influences on the author during his years in Corfu?
This section contains 1,171 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)