|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What kind of trees lined the path to Countess Mavrodaki's villa?
(d) Red maples.
2. What startling request was in the letter Captain Creech wrote to mother after his departure?
(a) A marriage proposal.
(b) A proposal to buy a yacht.
(c) A proposal to move to London together.
(d) A proposal to sail around the world.
3. What did Theodore and Gerald see out in the water while Captain Creech was visiting?
(a) Three children playing.
(b) Three water spouts.
(c) Three sharks.
(d) Three small sailboats.
4. What sounds could be heard in the olive press?
(a) The drip, drip of the oil and the grumblings of the peasants.
(b) The rumbling of the grindstone and the drip, drip of the oil.
(c) The rumbling of the grindstone and the songs of the peasants.
(d) The laughter of the peasants and the rumbling of the grindstone.
5. What did Gerald receive in the mail at the beginning of winter in Corfu?
(a) A letter from a friend of Dr. Stephanides.
(b) A letter from a naturalist.
(c) A letter from his Aunt Pru.
(d) A letter from the Greek government.
Short Answer Questions
1. What advice did Prudence give Mother about Margo's behavior?
2. Where did the owl spend the rest of the night after the commotion in the attic?
3. What did the Countess and Demetrios serve for the main course of the meal?
4. Why did Captain Creech show up at the Durrell house?
5. What was Max doing in the kitchen when Margo walked in?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who did Gerald and his mother find sitting on their front porch the afternoon they returned from their excursion into the olive groves? Where did this person come from and why? How did Mother get along with this new guest?
2. Who did Gerald meet one day during one of his excursions into the crepe myrtles? What unusual creature did this person have?
3. Who was Demetrios-Mustapha? How did he get this name?
4. What happened to Mother, Larry and the rest of the crew on the yacht ride with Mother? How did Mother react to the event? What was in the letter Captain Creech sent Mother after his departure and how did Mother respond to it?
5. What did Gerald do with his owl when he got home? What name did he give his owl? Where did he place the owl once he had tended to him?
6. What sound woke Larry in the middle of the night that caused him to wake the rest of the family? What did Gerald tell them all that explained things? What had caused the noise?
7. Who arrived at the house in the middle of the night? Where did they come from and why did they come to the villa? How did the family react to their arrival?
8. What misadventure did Gerald have on his way to meet Countess Mavrodaki? How did he feel when he arrived at her house? What was her response to his misadventure on the way over?
9. Who was Mawake? What was unusual about Mawake?
10. What was the Talking Head? How did it work?
This section contains 1,348 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)