|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did Gerald hear Prue tell Mother about Mrs. Haddock?
(a) That she was covered in ectoplasm and able to make trumpets fly.
(b) That she was covered in fur coats and able to speak to the dead.
(c) That she was covered in dark sheets and able to hear voices.
(d) That she was covered in endoplasm and able to speak to the dead.
2. What startling request was in the letter Captain Creech wrote to mother after his departure?
(a) A proposal to sail around the world.
(b) A marriage proposal.
(c) A proposal to move to London together.
(d) A proposal to buy a yacht.
3. What advice did Prudence give Mother about Margo's behavior?
(a) She suggested Mother come right away and talk to Margo.
(b) She suggested Mother talk to Dr. Androichelli again.
(c) She suggested Mother send Margo to a boarding school.
(d) She suggested Mother bring Margo back to Corfu.
4. Of what did Margo accuse her mother during their conversation with Mrs. Haddock?
(a) Of being prejudiced and rude.
(b) Of being narrow-minded and Victorian.
(c) Of being narrow-minded and confused.
(d) Of being rude and vociferous.
5. What did Fan and Prue explain to Mother and Gerald they were breeding for profit?
(a) Bedlington puppies.
(b) Collie puppies.
(c) Daschund puppies.
(d) Dalmation puppies.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Theodore and Gerald see out in the water while Captain Creech was visiting?
2. What treat did the owner of the press cook over an open flame for himself and Gerald?
3. Where was the residue from the grinding kept?
4. Why did Captain Creech show up at the Durrell house?
5. Who are Fan and Prudence?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who did Gerald and his mother find sitting on their front porch the afternoon they returned from their excursion into the olive groves? Where did this person come from and why? How did Mother get along with this new guest?
2. Who was the Countess Mavrodaki? Why did she contact Gerald? What was Larry's reaction to her letter to Gerald?
3. What kinds of food and drink did Gerald's luncheon with the Countess consist of? How did Gerald feel as he left the Countess' villa to go home?
4. Who was Papa Demetrios? How did Gerald and Papa Demetrios know each other? What story did he tell Gerald about a fellow villager, Andreas Papoyakis?
5. What did Donald want to read to Larry? What was Larry's response? What was Mother's response?
6. What was the Talking Head? How did it work?
7. Who was Tickletummy? Where did Tickletummy come from? What special quality did Tickletummy have that warranted his name?
8. What was the bear's name? How did he respond to Gerald? What was Gerald's reaction to the bear?
9. What happened to Mother, Larry and the rest of the crew on the yacht ride with Mother? How did Mother react to the event? What was in the letter Captain Creech sent Mother after his departure and how did Mother respond to it?
10. Who arrived at the house in the middle of the night? Where did they come from and why did they come to the villa? How did the family react to their arrival?
This section contains 1,234 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)