|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Of what did Margo accuse her mother during their conversation with Mrs. Haddock?
(a) Of being rude and vociferous.
(b) Of being narrow-minded and Victorian.
(c) Of being prejudiced and rude.
(d) Of being narrow-minded and confused.
2. What did Mother go into the kitchen to make for Captain Creech to have with tea?
(b) Small sandwiches.
(c) A tray of cheeses.
3. What happened to Gerald on his way to the Countess's house for their meeting?
(a) He fell off of his donkey into a mud puddle.
(b) He tripped on a rock and fell into a mud puddle.
(c) He met a man on the road who told him about the owl.
(d) He got lost and could not find his way to the house.
4. What was Gerald contemplating on his walk home from meeting the gypsy and Pavlo?
(a) What he was going to do with Theo that afternoon.
(b) Work he had to do for his tutor.
(c) Cleaning his aquariums.
(d) How he could find an animal just like Pavlo for his own.
5. What did Mother call Mrs. Haddock before leaving the seance?
Short Answer Questions
1. What animal was in the middle of the olive press pulling the grindstone?
2. What treat did the owner of the press cook over an open flame for himself and Gerald?
3. What did Fan and Prue explain to Mother and Gerald they were breeding for profit?
4. How did Andreas Papoyakis lose his hand?
5. What did the Countess give Gerald as he was leaving should he get hungry on the way home?
Short Essay Questions
1. What did Gerald observe about the women and the machinery of pressing olives?
2. What did Gerald do with his owl when he got home? What name did he give his owl? Where did he place the owl once he had tended to him?
3. Who was Demetrios-Mustapha? How did he get this name?
4. What did Pru tell Mother about Margo's behavior in London? What were her concerns? How did Margo react to the concerns of her great aunts and mother?
5. What was the Talking Head? How did it work?
6. How did Mother respond to meeting Mawake and Mrs. Haddock? How was this reaction unusual for Mother? What was the conclusion of the meeting?
7. Who did Gerald meet one day during one of his excursions into the crepe myrtles? What unusual creature did this person have?
8. What did Donald want to read to Larry? What was Larry's response? What was Mother's response?
9. Who did Gerald entrust to care for his baby hedgehogs while he was gone for the weekend with his mother? What condition were they in when he returned?
10. Who arrived at the house in the middle of the night? Where did they come from and why did they come to the villa? How did the family react to their arrival?
This section contains 1,219 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)