|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. While Roger and Gerald were watching a red fox cub, what did they see the cub find?
(a) A rat.
(b) A hedgehog.
(c) A tortoise.
(d) A snake.
2. What did Gerald wear to his visit with the Countess?
(a) His new camouflage pants and a tee shirt.
(b) A pair of jeans and a shirt and tie.
(c) A new suit and newly shined shoes.
(d) His best clothes and a new pair of sandals.
3. What happened to Gerald on his way to the Countess's house for their meeting?
(a) He got lost and could not find his way to the house.
(b) He tripped on a rock and fell into a mud puddle.
(c) He fell off of his donkey into a mud puddle.
(d) He met a man on the road who told him about the owl.
4. Who attended the seance with Mrs. Haddock?
(a) Mother, Margo, Prue, and Gerald.
(b) Mother, Fan, Prue, and Gerald.
(c) Mother, Fan, Prue, and Margo.
(d) Mother, Fan, Margo, and Gerald.
5. What did Mother call Mrs. Haddock before leaving the seance?
Short Answer Questions
1. What reason did Donald give for coming to see Larry?
2. Who owned the olive press?
3. What did Larry say over and over again upon seeing Gerald and the bear?
4. At what time did Donald and Max arrive at the Durrell home?
5. What did the Countess give Gerald as he was leaving should he get hungry on the way home?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who did Gerald meet one day during one of his excursions into the crepe myrtles? What unusual creature did this person have?
2. What did Gerald find in a field an old woman was cultivating? What did Gerald do with his find?
3. How did Mother respond to meeting Mawake and Mrs. Haddock? How was this reaction unusual for Mother? What was the conclusion of the meeting?
4. What sound woke Larry in the middle of the night that caused him to wake the rest of the family? What did Gerald tell them all that explained things? What had caused the noise?
5. What did Pru tell Mother about Margo's behavior in London? What were her concerns? How did Margo react to the concerns of her great aunts and mother?
6. Who was the Countess Mavrodaki? Why did she contact Gerald? What was Larry's reaction to her letter to Gerald?
7. Who was Mawake? What was unusual about Mawake?
8. What misadventure did Gerald have on his way to meet Countess Mavrodaki? How did he feel when he arrived at her house? What was her response to his misadventure on the way over?
9. Who did Gerald entrust to care for his baby hedgehogs while he was gone for the weekend with his mother? What condition were they in when he returned?
10. Where did Margo go for treatment for her acne and weight gain? With whom did she stay? Was the treatment successful?
This section contains 1,276 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)