|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did Gerald witness when he arrived at Katarina's house in Chapter Three?
(a) The birth of her baby boy.
(b) The fight between Katarina and her sister.
(c) The surprise shower thrown by her sisters.
(d) The birth of her baby girl.
2. How did Mother describe Sven Olsen as he left her home?
(a) As a "peculiar sort."
(b) As a "well read scholar."
(c) As a "snobbish performer."
(d) As a "manly man."
3. What did Margo do daily to combat her acne?
(a) Sun bathe.
(b) Sea bathe.
(c) Salt bathe.
(d) Steam bathe.
4. In what month did the Darrell family arrive in Corfu?
(a) In October.
(b) In June.
(c) In January.
(d) In August.
5. Why did Gerald's mother object to getting him a donkey?
(a) They were too expensive and there were no available babies.
(b) They were too expensive and required too much upkeep.
(c) They were not available to out-of-towners.
(d) They were too large and needed too much care.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Larry reveal about Sven after Sven had left the house?
2. When Gerald's mother said "we'll see," what did Gerald know that really meant?
3. What fish did Taki and Gerald see lying on the shore during their fishing trip?
4. Where is Corfu?
5. How did Gerald find the seahorses?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who was Kokino? What does Kokino mean in Greek? What did Kokino and Gerald do together?
2. What did mother have Costas construct in the yard? How did she explain the construction to Gerald? What was Gerald's mother really having built and why?
3. Who is Taki Thanatos? How did Gerald meet him? What did the two share in common? Where did Taki want to take Gerald?
4. Who was the first friend the family made upon arriving on the island of Corfu? What important help did this new friend give Gerald and his family?
5. What is a China-mark moth? What makes this moth unique?
6. What creature did Gerald discover on an afternoon trek to the lake alone? Why was this creature especially important to Gerald? What was unique about this creature?
7. What was the "hypocritical prayer?" What did Gerald observe about this creature?
8. Why did George introduce Gerald to Theo Stephanides? What did Gerald hope to learn from Theo?
9. What was the set pattern Theo and Gerald had established for their excursions? What was the first thing they did when settling into a new spot?
10. How did Leslie react to settling into their new home? What did he set about to do while in Corfu? How did his mother react to this plan?
This section contains 1,113 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)