|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did fishermen use to calm the waters around their small boats?
(a) Olive oil.
(b) Wooden oars.
(d) Bamboo poles.
2. During the presentation of the donkey, what did Margo keep talking about?
(a) Her ruined dress.
(b) The mess in the hallway.
(c) The ruined surprise.
(d) Her spoiled decorations.
3. Where were the narrator's family members meeting as the story opens?
(a) In Ireland.
(b) In Corfu.
(c) In England.
(d) In Scotland.
4. From whom did Mother get the donkey she gave to Gerald?
(a) From Costas.
(b) From Theo.
(c) From the market place.
(d) From Katarina.
5. Who was Roger?
(a) The narrator's dog.
(b) The narrator's parrot.
(c) The narrator's pony.
(d) The narrator's brother.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where did Gerald decide to dissect his turtle?
2. What are elvers?
3. When Gerald's mother said "we'll see," what did Gerald know that really meant?
4. What did Theodore and Gerald hear as they ate lunch in the olive grove?
5. What interesting creatures did the narrator become interested in on his trips to the bay?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who was the first friend the family made upon arriving on the island of Corfu? What important help did this new friend give Gerald and his family?
2. What was the "hypocritical prayer?" What did Gerald observe about this creature?
3. Why did George introduce Gerald to Theo Stephanides? What did Gerald hope to learn from Theo?
4. Who was Sven? How did he come upon the Durrell family? What was Sven's unusual talent that drove the family crazy? What did Gerald learn Sven had in common with him?
5. Where did Taki take Gerald to catch fish? What unusual method did Taki use to catch fish? What strange fish did Taki catch that fascinated Gerald? What did Gerald learn about the fish Taki caught?
6. What was "catching cuttlefish with love?" How did it work? What was Gerald's response to this interesting fishing style?
7. What did Gerald bring with him for his nighttime fishing expedition? What did he do with his treasures before returning home? What did Taki give Gerald to appease Mother for the late hour of Gerald's return?
8. What was the set pattern Theo and Gerald had established for their excursions? What was the first thing they did when settling into a new spot?
9. Who did Mother hire to be Gerald's tutor? How did the two initially get along? What did his tutor do that changed Gerald's perspective on learning?
10. Who was Sally? Where did Sally come from? How did the name Sally come to be? Why was Gerald excited to have Sally as a member of the household?
This section contains 1,193 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)