|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where is Corfu?
(a) Off the coast of Athens.
(b) North of Spain.
(c) Off the Albanian and Greek coastlines.
(d) In the Pacific Ocean.
2. What did Gerald discover about the turtle he found in the waters one day while fishing?
(a) The turtle was eating a fish.
(b) The turtle had only three legs.
(c) The turtle was not indigenous to the area.
(d) The turtle was dead.
3. What was "Bootle-bumtrinket?"
(a) The name of one of his dogs.
(b) The name of Kokino's boat.
(c) The name of Gerald's boat.
(d) The name of his turtle.
4. Who were Widdle and Puke?
(a) Two spiders Gerald found at the pond.
(b) Two of Larry's drunken friends.
(c) Two dogs Gerald was given for his birthday.
(d) Two cats Sven gave Gerald's mother as a gift.
5. What kinds of things are made with the hawks-bill turtle shell?
(a) Turtle soups.
(b) Glasses frames.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where were the narrator's family members meeting as the story opens?
2. Where was Mouse Island?
3. Where was Gerald's study?
4. What did Gerald learn from Theodore about the snails he had seen mating?
5. Where did Gerald decide to dissect his turtle?
Short Essay Questions
1. What dead creature did Gerald load onto his boat and bring home from the bay? What did he do with it upon coming home? How did the family react to his newest creature?
2. Who did Mother hire to be Gerald's tutor? How did the two initially get along? What did his tutor do that changed Gerald's perspective on learning?
3. What was "catching cuttlefish with love?" How did it work? What was Gerald's response to this interesting fishing style?
4. Why did George introduce Gerald to Theo Stephanides? What did Gerald hope to learn from Theo?
5. What did Gerald and Theo discover on their excursion to the lake? Why was this discovery exciting for Gerald?
6. What was the "hypocritical prayer?" What did Gerald observe about this creature?
7. What did Larry offer to teach Gerald about caring for Sally? What important piece of information did Larry not know that caused him trouble? What happened?
8. Who was Kokino? What does Kokino mean in Greek? What did Kokino and Gerald do together?
9. Why did the narrator, Gerald, and his family go to Greece? Where in Greece did they settle? What details did the narrator give about their 'home away from home'?
10. What creature did Gerald discover on an afternoon trek to the lake alone? Why was this creature especially important to Gerald? What was unique about this creature?
This section contains 1,228 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)