|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What are elvers?
(c) Baby birds.
(d) Baby eels.
2. What did Margo do daily to combat her acne?
(a) Steam bathe.
(b) Sea bathe.
(c) Salt bathe.
(d) Sun bathe.
3. Where was Gerald's study?
(a) In a bedroom attached to his room.
(b) In the solarium.
(c) In the bathroom attached to his room.
(d) In the attic.
4. What or who is Fabre?
(a) The zoologist who was bron in Corfu.
(b) The radiologist who examined skeletal remains.
(c) The biologist who studied dung beetles.
(d) The naturalist who wrote about insects.
5. Who was Taki Thanatos?
(a) A young man whose father had just died.
(b) A young man who rented small boats to tourists.
(c) A young man the narrator met while exploring the bay.
(d) A young man who was the narrator's Greek tutor.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who sometimes accompanied Gerald on his boating trips around the island?
2. What kinds of things are made with the hawks-bill turtle shell?
3. Where did Gerald first pay attention to donkeys on the island?
4. How did China-mark moths get their name?
5. Whose wedding did Gerald and his family attend?
Short Essay Questions
1. What did mother have Costas construct in the yard? How did she explain the construction to Gerald? What was Gerald's mother really having built and why?
2. Who was Kokino? What does Kokino mean in Greek? What did Kokino and Gerald do together?
3. Why did the narrator, Gerald, and his family go to Greece? Where in Greece did they settle? What details did the narrator give about their 'home away from home'?
4. Who did Margo and Gerald discover lived on Mouse Island? How did they first discover this person? How did they eventually appease this inhabitant's ire?
5. Who was the first friend the family made upon arriving on the island of Corfu? What important help did this new friend give Gerald and his family?
6. What was the "hypocritical prayer?" What did Gerald observe about this creature?
7. What dead creature did Gerald load onto his boat and bring home from the bay? What did he do with it upon coming home? How did the family react to his newest creature?
8. Who did Mother hire to be Gerald's tutor? How did the two initially get along? What did his tutor do that changed Gerald's perspective on learning?
9. What did the family do on Sven's last day at their villa? Who came to visit that day? What did Sven do upon meeting this guest? How does Mother describe Sven as gets into the cab to leave? Why did Larry think her comment was ironic?
10. What kinds of spiders did Gerald find on the island? What did he witness one day while observing one of the spiders he had caught?
This section contains 1,180 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)