|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How did Larry react to Theodore's information about the snails Gerald had seen?
(a) He was angry.
(b) He was jealous.
(c) He was disgusted.
(d) He was bored.
2. How did Gerald convince his mother to allow him to go fishing with Taki?
(a) He offered to clean the bathrooms.
(b) He promised to bring home dinner.
(c) He took an afternoon nap.
(d) He brought along his brother.
3. What happened when Gerald punctured the turtle's stomach?
(a) The stomach was empty.
(b) The turtle had sand and small fish in its stomach.
(c) He was able to see what the turtle had last eaten.
(d) A noxious gas was emitted into the air.
4. What did fishermen use to calm the waters around their small boats?
(b) Bamboo poles.
(c) Wooden oars.
(d) Olive oil.
5. Why was Gerald interested in the villa's garden?
(a) It was perfectly groomed and filled with flowers.
(b) It was a barren plot of land waiting to be planted.
(c) It was planted with parrellel rows of flowers.
(d) It was overrun with vegetation and full of insects.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Taki say to Gerald as he left the boat at the end of Chapter Two?
2. What interesting creatures did the narrator become interested in on his trips to the bay?
3. What time did Gerald get home after his fishing trip with Taki?
4. What did earlier naturalists call the rotifer?
5. What did Kokino call his unusual fishing method for catching cuddlefish?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who did Mother hire to be Gerald's tutor? How did the two initially get along? What did his tutor do that changed Gerald's perspective on learning?
2. Where did Gerald go to thank Katarina for giving him Sally? What was happening when Gerald arrived at Katarina's? What did Gerald do?
3. Why did George introduce Gerald to Theo Stephanides? What did Gerald hope to learn from Theo?
4. What did Gerald bring with him for his nighttime fishing expedition? What did he do with his treasures before returning home? What did Taki give Gerald to appease Mother for the late hour of Gerald's return?
5. What kinds of spiders did Gerald find on the island? What did he witness one day while observing one of the spiders he had caught?
6. What is a China-mark moth? What makes this moth unique?
7. Who is the narrator of the story? What do we learn about him in the opening "Conversations?" Where is his home?
8. What was the set pattern Theo and Gerald had established for their excursions? What was the first thing they did when settling into a new spot?
9. Where did Taki take Gerald to catch fish? What unusual method did Taki use to catch fish? What strange fish did Taki catch that fascinated Gerald? What did Gerald learn about the fish Taki caught?
10. What did Gerald do upon catching a seahorse while fishing with Kokino? Where did he find them? How many seahorses did he find in all, and what did he do with them?
This section contains 1,162 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)