|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When Gerald asked if he could touch Pavlo, what was the gypsy's reply?
(a) "He wouldn't even hurt a bandit who was robbing him of his food."
(b) "No, that is not a good idea."
(c) "Sure, but do it slowly."
(d) "You'd better not, he will cry."
2. What did the doctor in Corfu recommend to treat Margo's health problems?
(a) She should be hospitalized.
(b) She should be seen be a specialist in London.
(c) She should see an allergist in Athens.
(d) She should begin eating only vegetables and fruit.
3. What did the Countess and Demetrios serve for the main course of the meal?
(b) Shrimp scampi.
(d) Wild boar.
4. What did Gerald feed his new owl?
(a) A mouse and carrots.
(b) A mouse and lettuce.
(c) Chopped meat and a mouse.
(d) Chopped meat and lettuce.
5. What special gift did the owner of the press give to Gerald in return for some of the local gossip?
(a) A quart of olive oil.
(b) A barrel of residue from the press.
(c) A spade-footed toad.
(d) A job at the press.
6. What did Larry say over and over again upon seeing Gerald and the bear?
(a) He was too frightened of bears to have one in the house.
(b) He refused to allow Gerald to have a pet bear.
(c) He was allergic to bears.
(d) He aksed if he could touch it.
7. How did Andreas Papoyakis lose his hand?
(a) By getting it caught in a mower.
(b) By shooting himself in the hand.
(c) By holding a lit stick of dynamite.
(d) By getting it caught in the olive press.
8. What did Gerald receive in the mail at the beginning of winter in Corfu?
(a) A letter from his Aunt Pru.
(b) A letter from a friend of Dr. Stephanides.
(c) A letter from the Greek government.
(d) A letter from a naturalist.
9. Who offered to take care of the baby hedgehogs while Gerald and his mother were gone for the weekend?
10. What treat did the owner of the press cook over an open flame for himself and Gerald?
(b) French toast.
(c) Caramel corn.
11. Who owned the olive press?
(a) Papa Demetrios.
(b) Papa Darios.
(c) Papa Dolmades.
(d) Papa Domingo.
12. What did Gerald name his new owl?
13. What did Margo ask her mother to do with the cabbage she had brought with her to the hotel?
(a) Boil cabbage for her facial cream.
(b) Help her to make stuffed cabbage.
(c) Put cabbage leaves on her feet overnight.
(d) Tie cabbage leaves to her face.
14. What did Larry think was making all the commotion in the attic in the middle of the night?
15. What was Pavlo's special talent?
(a) He could dance with the gypsy.
(b) He could speak five languages.
(c) He could run faster than anyone else in the town.
(d) He could jump through a hoop.
Short Answer Questions
1. How did Gerald transport the owl back to his villa?
2. When did Gerald and his family move to a new villa?
3. What had Mrs. Haddock, channeling Mawake, told Margo to do about her health problems?
4. What startling request was in the letter Captain Creech wrote to mother after his departure?
5. Why did Margo and Larry implore Donald and Max to be quiet?
This section contains 615 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)