|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What unusual feature of Mrs. Haddock's speech did Mother immediately notice?
(a) She was able to throw her voice.
(b) She had an American accent.
(c) Her voice sounded like it was coming from another room.
(d) All her words were strung together without a break.
2. Who owned the olive press?
(a) Papa Darios.
(b) Papa Dolmades.
(c) Papa Demetrios.
(d) Papa Domingo.
3. What did Mother carry into the living room when she came to investigate the commotion there?
(a) Her Bedlington terrier, Dodo.
(b) Her Chijuajua, Dodo.
(c) Her Dashund, Dodo.
(d) Her Dandie Dinmont terrier, Dodo.
4. What is a carrochino?
(a) A cab.
(b) A cherry.
(c) A baby carrot.
(d) A bus.
5. Why did Captain Creech show up at the Durrell house?
(a) He was invited by Theo.
(b) He was invited by Larrry.
(c) He was invited by Mother.
(d) He heard about Gerald's collection of creatures.
6. Who are Fan and Prudence?
(a) Mother's cousin and her mother.
(b) Mother's sisters.
(c) Mother's best friends.
(d) Mother's sister and neice.
7. What did the Countess and Demetrios serve for the main course of the meal?
(c) Shrimp scampi.
(d) Wild boar.
8. Of what did Margo accuse her mother during their conversation with Mrs. Haddock?
(a) Of being narrow-minded and confused.
(b) Of being rude and vociferous.
(c) Of being narrow-minded and Victorian.
(d) Of being prejudiced and rude.
9. What animal was in the middle of the olive press pulling the grindstone?
(a) A cow.
(b) An elephant.
(c) A horse.
(d) A mule.
10. How did Andreas Papoyakis lose his hand?
(a) By shooting himself in the hand.
(b) By getting it caught in the olive press.
(c) By holding a lit stick of dynamite.
(d) By getting it caught in a mower.
11. While Roger and Gerald were watching a red fox cub, what did they see the cub find?
(a) A rat.
(b) A snake.
(c) A tortoise.
(d) A hedgehog.
12. What did Fan and Prue explain to Mother and Gerald they were breeding for profit?
(a) Daschund puppies.
(b) Bedlington puppies.
(c) Collie puppies.
(d) Dalmation puppies.
13. What did Larry think was making all the commotion in the attic in the middle of the night?
14. When Gerald asked if he could touch Pavlo, what was the gypsy's reply?
(a) "Sure, but do it slowly."
(b) "No, that is not a good idea."
(c) "You'd better not, he will cry."
(d) "He wouldn't even hurt a bandit who was robbing him of his food."
15. Where and by who was the white owl found?
(a) In an old barn by a child.
(b) In an old shed by a workman.
(c) In an old barn by a farmer.
(d) In an old shed by an old woman.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happened to Gerald on his way to the Countess's house for their meeting?
2. Where did Mother and Gerald stay when they arrived to see Margo?
3. What did Margo ask her mother to do with the cabbage she had brought with her to the hotel?
4. How did Captain Creech injure his face?
5. How did Gerald plan to feed the baby hedgehogs?
This section contains 603 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)