|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did Fan and Prue explain to Mother and Gerald they were breeding for profit?
(a) Daschund puppies.
(b) Dalmation puppies.
(c) Bedlington puppies.
(d) Collie puppies.
2. Why did Margo and Larry implore Donald and Max to be quiet?
(a) The neighbors might awaken and call the police.
(b) Mother might awaken and call the police.
(c) Mother was sick and sleeping.
(d) Gerald was asleep.
3. What song were Donald and Max singing as they approached the Durrell home?
(a) "Maid of the Mountain."
(b) "The Sound of Music."
(c) "The Bear Climbed Over the Mountain."
4. While Roger and Gerald were watching a red fox cub, what did they see the cub find?
(a) A snake.
(b) A tortoise.
(c) A hedgehog.
(d) A rat.
5. What sounds could be heard in the olive press?
(a) The rumbling of the grindstone and the drip, drip of the oil.
(b) The drip, drip of the oil and the grumblings of the peasants.
(c) The rumbling of the grindstone and the songs of the peasants.
(d) The laughter of the peasants and the rumbling of the grindstone.
6. What reason did Donald give for coming to see Larry?
(a) To introduce him to Max.
(b) To announce he was getting married.
(c) To get a decent night's sleep.
(d) To read him the first chapter of his book.
7. What was the name of the Countess's husband?
8. What kind of trees lined the path to Countess Mavrodaki's villa?
(b) Red maples.
9. What was Pavlo's special talent?
(a) He could run faster than anyone else in the town.
(b) He could dance with the gypsy.
(c) He could jump through a hoop.
(d) He could speak five languages.
10. What did Gerald hear Prue tell Mother about Mrs. Haddock?
(a) That she was covered in dark sheets and able to hear voices.
(b) That she was covered in endoplasm and able to speak to the dead.
(c) That she was covered in fur coats and able to speak to the dead.
(d) That she was covered in ectoplasm and able to make trumpets fly.
11. What did Gerald wear to his visit with the Countess?
(a) His best clothes and a new pair of sandals.
(b) A pair of jeans and a shirt and tie.
(c) His new camouflage pants and a tee shirt.
(d) A new suit and newly shined shoes.
12. What did Theodore and Gerald see out in the water while Captain Creech was visiting?
(a) Three sharks.
(b) Three water spouts.
(c) Three small sailboats.
(d) Three children playing.
13. Who were Itch and Scratch?
(a) Gerald's hamsters.
(b) Gerald's grown hedgehogs.
(c) Gerald's dogs.
(d) Gerald's seahorses.
14. Why did Captain Creech show up at the Durrell house?
(a) He was invited by Mother.
(b) He heard about Gerald's collection of creatures.
(c) He was invited by Theo.
(d) He was invited by Larrry.
15. What special gift did the owner of the press give to Gerald in return for some of the local gossip?
(a) A spade-footed toad.
(b) A job at the press.
(c) A barrel of residue from the press.
(d) A quart of olive oil.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Gerald name his new owl?
2. What did the Countess and Demetrios serve for the main course of the meal?
3. What unusual feature of Mrs. Haddock's speech did Mother immediately notice?
4. What did Larry think was making all the commotion in the attic in the middle of the night?
5. How did Gerald transport the owl back to his villa?
This section contains 599 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)