|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What reason was Gerald given for his mother wanting a bamboo house?
(a) She could store the extra luggage in it.
(b) She could store the yard equipment.
(c) She could keep plants or store sweet potatoes.
(d) She could sleep in it on cool nights.
2. What was the narrator's name in Greek?
3. What did Crippenopoulos accuse Roger of doing?
(a) Destroying his chicken coop.
(b) Killing his cat.
(c) Stealing his turkeys.
(d) Eating five of his turkeys.
4. What did fishermen use to calm the waters around their small boats?
(a) Wooden oars.
(b) Bamboo poles.
(d) Olive oil.
5. What unusual thing did Gerald learn about seahorses once the babies were born?
(a) The father nurtured seahorse eggs in his brood-pouch.
(b) The eggs floated in water until they were ready to hatch.
(c) The father ate some of the eggs during the gestation period.
(d) The mother carried the eggs in her brood-pouch.
6. How did Gerald convince his mother to allow him to go fishing with Taki?
(a) He brought along his brother.
(b) He took an afternoon nap.
(c) He offered to clean the bathrooms.
(d) He promised to bring home dinner.
7. How did China-mark moths get their name?
(a) Because their white wings look like fine china.
(b) Because of the marking on their wings that resemble potters' marks.
(c) Because they have a bright red stamp that looks like a china stamp.
(d) Because they are as fragile as china.
8. During the presentation of the donkey, what did Margo keep talking about?
(a) Her ruined dress.
(b) The ruined surprise.
(c) Her spoiled decorations.
(d) The mess in the hallway.
9. What did Taki say to Gerald as he left the boat at the end of Chapter Two?
(a) "Pasto calo."
(b) "Hasta manana."
(c) "See you later."
(d) "Thanks for coming."
10. What was "Bootle-bumtrinket?"
(a) The name of Gerald's boat.
(b) The name of one of his dogs.
(c) The name of his turtle.
(d) The name of Kokino's boat.
11. Whose wedding did Gerald and his family attend?
12. What fish did Taki and Gerald see lying on the shore during their fishing trip?
(a) A trout.
(b) A scorpios.
(c) A grupper.
(d) A snapper.
13. What is the time of the year in the beginning of the story when the Darrell family members are meeting?
(a) The fall.
(b) The spring.
(c) The winter.
(d) The summer.
14. What did Gerald often see when he looked out of his window just after waking in the morning?
(a) The mountains in the distance.
(b) Fishermen in their boats.
(c) Workers repairing the villa.
(d) Larry and Leslie arguing.
15. Who was Taki Thanatos?
(a) A young man the narrator met while exploring the bay.
(b) A young man who rented small boats to tourists.
(c) A young man who was the narrator's Greek tutor.
(d) A young man whose father had just died.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Gerald discover about the turtle he found in the waters one day while fishing?
2. How did Gerald's family react to seahorses?
3. Why did Gerald's mother object to getting him a donkey?
4. How did the water-spider Gerald caught decide where to build her home?
5. What did Gerald do with the soft parts of the turtle after the dissection?
This section contains 649 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)