|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What time did Taki usually begin fishing?
(a) About four in the morning.
(b) About noon.
(c) About five in the afternoon.
(d) About ten o'clock at night.
2. What did Theodore and Gerald snack on after their day of exploration in Chapter Four?
(a) Hot tea and scones.
(b) Hot chocolate and cookies.
(c) Hot coffee and cookies.
(d) Hot milk and scones.
3. How did the water-spider Gerald caught decide where to build her home?
(a) By walking slowly around the water's edge.
(b) By sitting motionless in a corner.
(c) By walking back and forth repeatedly.
(d) By running back and forth below the surface of the water.
4. How did China-mark moths get their name?
(a) Because they are as fragile as china.
(b) Because their white wings look like fine china.
(c) Because of the marking on their wings that resemble potters' marks.
(d) Because they have a bright red stamp that looks like a china stamp.
5. Who were Widdle and Puke?
(a) Two spiders Gerald found at the pond.
(b) Two dogs Gerald was given for his birthday.
(c) Two cats Sven gave Gerald's mother as a gift.
(d) Two of Larry's drunken friends.
6. What are elvers?
(b) Baby birds.
(d) Baby eels.
7. What did Gerald bring with him to go fishing with Taki?
(a) A snack, a net, and a snorkel.
(b) His net, a long piece of bamboo, eight glass jars, and small boxes.
(c) HIs glass jars, small boxes and a snack.
(d) A tackle box and a fishing pole.
8. How did Mother describe Sven Olsen as he left her home?
(a) As a "snobbish performer."
(b) As a "well read scholar."
(c) As a "manly man."
(d) As a "peculiar sort."
9. According to the story, what happened to the woman who would not sell her milk for seventeen coins?
(a) She was turned into a turtle dove.
(b) She was turned into a snake.
(c) She was turned into an owl.
(d) She was turned into a robin.
10. What did Leslie send the judge upon Spiro's suggestion?
11. What was "Bootle-bumtrinket?"
(a) The name of Gerald's boat.
(b) The name of Kokino's boat.
(c) The name of his turtle.
(d) The name of one of his dogs.
12. Why did Gerald's mother object to getting him a donkey?
(a) They were too large and needed too much care.
(b) They were not available to out-of-towners.
(c) They were too expensive and required too much upkeep.
(d) They were too expensive and there were no available babies.
13. What color was the villa into which the Darrell family moved on Corfu?
(a) Alligator green with orange shutters.
(b) Crushed-strawberry pink with green shutters.
(c) Navel-orange with green shutters.
(d) Avacado green with yellow shutters.
14. Where was Mouse Island?
(a) About a quarter mile from the bay.
(b) A day's drive down the shore.
(c) A short swim from the villa.
(d) About a mile off of Corfu.
15. Whose wedding did Gerald and his family attend?
Short Answer Questions
1. Who was Sven Olsen?
2. What did Crippenopoulos accuse Roger of doing?
3. On one of his solo adventures, where did Gerald find a water-spider he brought home to study?
4. What interesting creatures did the narrator become interested in on his trips to the bay?
5. What did Kokino call his unusual fishing method for catching cuddlefish?
This section contains 596 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)