|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did Gerald often see when he looked out of his window just after waking in the morning?
(a) Larry and Leslie arguing.
(b) Workers repairing the villa.
(c) The mountains in the distance.
(d) Fishermen in their boats.
2. What reason was Gerald given for his mother wanting a bamboo house?
(a) She could keep plants or store sweet potatoes.
(b) She could sleep in it on cool nights.
(c) She could store the yard equipment.
(d) She could store the extra luggage in it.
3. Which creature was most interesting to the narrator when he first settles into his new residence?
(a) The carpenter bees.
(b) The hummingbird.
(c) The hawk moth.
(d) The dung beetle.
4. What time did Taki usually begin fishing?
(a) About four in the morning.
(b) About ten o'clock at night.
(c) About noon.
(d) About five in the afternoon.
5. What or who is Fabre?
(a) The radiologist who examined skeletal remains.
(b) The biologist who studied dung beetles.
(c) The zoologist who was bron in Corfu.
(d) The naturalist who wrote about insects.
6. What was the second catch of the fishing expedition for Taki?
(a) A trout.
(b) A sea horse.
(c) An octopus.
(d) A red snapper.
7. What was the Greek name for Mouse Island?
8. When did Larry learn all about donkeys?
(a) When he was in India, he rode on ponies.
(b) When he was in Spain, he rode on ponies.
(c) When he was in Africa, he rode on donkeys.
(d) When he was in Australia, he rode on donkeys.
9. What did Larry tell Gerald to do if he wanted to go faster while riding on his donkey?
(a) Hit her gently with the switch.
(b) Pull on her reins and say "Go!"
(c) Kick her in the ribs with his heel.
(d) Hit her fiercely with the switch.
10. When Gerald's mother said "we'll see," what did Gerald know that really meant?
(a) She would never agree to do it.
(b) She would ask Larry what he thought first.
(c) She would forget about it.
(d) She would make a decision at the last minute.
11. What is the time of the year in the beginning of the story when the Darrell family members are meeting?
(a) The winter.
(b) The spring.
(c) The summer.
(d) The fall.
12. What interesting creatures did the narrator become interested in on his trips to the bay?
(b) King crabs.
(c) Baby lobsters.
(d) Spider crabs.
13. Where did Gerald first pay attention to donkeys on the island?
(a) At Theo's home.
(b) At the seashore town near the villa.
(c) At the market place.
(d) At Katarina's wedding.
14. Where was Gerald's study?
(a) In the solarium.
(b) In the bathroom attached to his room.
(c) In the attic.
(d) In a bedroom attached to his room.
15. About what book did the Darrell family begin speaking during their meeting?
(a) Strange Animals I Have Known."
(b) "Pets and My Family."
(c) "My Family and Other Animals."
(d) "My Family and Smarter Animals."
Short Answer Questions
1. Why did Gerald's mother object to getting him a donkey?
2. How did the judge rule on the case between Crippenopoulos and Leslie?
3. How did Larry react to Theodore's information about the snails Gerald had seen?
4. What kinds of things are made with the hawks-bill turtle shell?
5. What did Kokino call his unusual fishing method for catching cuddlefish?
This section contains 597 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)