Conversations and Chapter One
• The story opens with a conversation that occurs during a reunion of the narrator, Gerald Darrell, and his family.
• The narrator announces he is planning on writing a new book about the family's time in Greece.
• Everyone objects to the stories in the narrator's last book, and asks that he not write another.
• This only encourages Darrell to write the next book.
• The first chapter opens with a description of the Greek island where he and his family go to stay, Corfu.
• His family consists of his two brothers Larry and Leslie, his sister Margo, and their mother.
• They make friends with their taxi driver, Spiro, who can find everything the family needs.
• The first thing Spiro finds is a villa in which the family lives, one which has indoor plumbing.
• The Darrells settle into their new home in different ways.
• Larry walks about...
This section contains 2,552 words
(approx. 9 pages at 300 words per page)