|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. After Captain Barrows' death, Dr. Mead's nurse says that Dr. Mead had looked the other way without realizing it due to what?
2. Where is Wysteria in Chapter 11?
3. How often does Dr. Mead say he will visit while Wysteria recovers in Chapter 8?
4. Who do the hounds return along with in the end of Chapter 9?
5. Dr. Mead notes that Captain Barrows was what, just as his father had been, in Chapter 8?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Dr. Mead's reaction to the laudanum in Chapter 12? Why?
2. What does Farley discuss with Miranda on their kite-flying trip in Chapter 10?
3. What do Miranda and Farley discover about Captain Barrows' plans in Chapter 13?
4. Where does Miranda encounter Dr. Mead in Chapter 12? What does she show him?
5. How does Miranda react to Farley's return in Chapter 10?
6. How is Chapter 11 a crucial moment in the development of Miranda's character in the novel?
7. How does Miranda take flight in Chapter 11?
8. Who does Dr. Mead send to check in on Miranda in Chapter 9? Why won't she enter the house?
9. What does Farley reveal about his future and plans in Chapter 11? How does Miranda react?
10. Where does Miranda awaken in Chapter 12? How does she feel?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe and discuss the character of Wysteria in the novel. How does Miranda feel about her "captor"?
Essay Topic 2
Describe the character of Miss Moreland and the exposition revealed by her in Chapter 9. What does Miss Moreland relate of Dr. Mead?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the genre of fantasy fiction, and the biography and works of the author. What recognition has Murphy received for her novels?
This section contains 852 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)