|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Farley referring to when he tells Miranda there are many beings "like yourself" in other places in Chapter 10?
2. Dr. Mead notes that Captain Barrows was what, just as his father had been, in Chapter 8?
3. What refers to the change in characterization of a dynamic character over the course of a narrative?
4. What was the great kite that Captain Barrows designed going to be called?
5. Farley is stunned to hear that Miranda has never seen what in Chapter 10?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Miranda react to Farley's return in Chapter 10?
2. What is Dr. Mead's reaction to the laudanum in Chapter 12? Why?
3. What inner conflicts does Miranda face in Chapter 9?
4. How did Captain Barrows hope to break the curse of the Manor, according to Dr.Mead in Chapter 8?
5. What is Miranda's reaction once she is flying in Chapter 11?
6. How does Dr. Mead's demeanor at the Manor change in Chapter 8? What does he learn of Miranda?
7. What do Miranda and Farley discover about Captain Barrows' plans in Chapter 13?
8. What does Farley discuss with Miranda on their kite-flying trip in Chapter 10?
9. How does Dr. Mead enter the Manor in Chapter 12? What is his objective there?
10. Where does Miranda encounter Dr. Mead in Chapter 12? What does she show him?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the character of Miss Moreland and the exposition revealed by her in Chapter 9. What does Miss Moreland relate of Dr. Mead?
Essay Topic 2
Describe Miranda as the protagonist of the novel. What heroic or noble characteristics does Miranda exhibit in the novel's beginning?
Essay Topic 3
Describe and discuss Miranda's journey from the Manor in Chapter 7. What drives Miranda to leave?
This section contains 845 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)