|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Miranda encounter on her way to the Manor in Chapter 12?
2. Where does Miranda make her way when she awakens in Chapter 11?
3. In the end of Chapter 8, Dr. Mead says he would be delighted to return and visit what?
4. In Chapter 8, Miranda tells Dr. Mead that she has learned much from the Captain's books and enjoys watching what from on top of the Manor?
5. Who does Dr. Mead's nurse say she believes killed Captain Barrows in Chapter 9?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Miranda take flight in Chapter 11?
2. What does Farley discuss with Miranda on their kite-flying trip in Chapter 10?
3. Where does Miranda awaken in Chapter 12? How does she feel?
4. What is Dr. Mead's reaction to the laudanum in Chapter 12? Why?
5. What does Dr. Mead say about Captain Barrows' marriage in Chapter 8?
6. What does Dr. Mead suggest Miranda do about Wysteria in Chapter 8? What does he promise to do as well?
7. What is Miranda's reaction once she is flying in Chapter 11?
8. What is Miranda's time alone at the Manor like in the beginning of Chapter 9?
9. Where does Miranda encounter Dr. Mead in Chapter 12? What does she show him?
10. What does Dr. Mead do upon arriving in Chapter 8? What is his diagnosis?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe and discuss the theme of curses in the novel. Where are curses represented?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the setting of the Captain's study and analyze the character of Captain Barrows in the narrative. Why is Miranda curious about the Captain?
Essay Topic 3
Describe and analyze the setting of the novel. Where is Lake Champlain and where is the Manor situated on the lake?
This section contains 833 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)