|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Miranda comes to Wysteria's estate in what month in Chapter 1?
2. What are Wysteria's four dogs that Miranda befriends referred to in "Bird"?
3. What does Miranda do when Farley brings the kite to her in Chapter 5?
4. What does Wysteria give to Miranda to protect her from the wind in Chapter 4?
5. What is the narrative voice of the novel?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Miranda's response to the boys in Chapter 7? What does she learn of the Manor from them?
2. What breaks Miranda's solitude in Chapter 5? How is her life described at this time? How long has she been at the Manor?
3. How does Miranda describe her feelings about her education at Bourne Manor in Chapter 2?
4. What is Miranda's room like at the estate? How does she describe the setting of the Manor in Chapter 1?
5. Describe Miranda's process of working in Chapter 3. How does Wysteria treat Miranda regarding her work?
6. How is the protagonist of the novel introduced in Chapter 1? Where is she taken and by whom?
7. How does Miranda feel about lighting the lantern in Chapter 3? Why?
8. What natural ability does Miranda describe having in Chapter 2? What does this lead to in regard to her duties for Wysteria?
9. What happens when Miranda finds the doctor's office in Chapter 7?
10. What does Miranda learn about Wysteria's marriage in Chapter 2? Why does she choose to stay with Wysteria?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe and discuss the theme of curses in the novel. Where are curses represented?
Essay Topic 2
Describe and analyze the character of Dr. Mead in the novel. What is Dr. Mead's reaction upon seeing Wysteria?
Essay Topic 3
Identify and analyze the narrative voice of "Bird". In what person and tense is the story related? What is the tense?
This section contains 844 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)