|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Wysteria trust will keep Miranda close to home in Chapter 5?
2. What does Miranda do when Farley brings the kite to her in Chapter 5?
3. What does Miranda become trapped in by the wind in Chapter 1?
4. In Chapter 6, Miranda learns that Farley is causing a disturbance where?
5. Wysteria makes her living by mending fishing nets for the fishing fleet out of where?
Short Essay Questions
1. What interaction takes place between Miranda and Farley in Chapter 6?
2. What leads Wysteria to give Miranda heavier boots in Chapter 5? How does Miranda feel about her situation?
3. What draws Miranda into the attic in Chapter 4? How does she find it?
4. What does Miranda discover upon awakening in Chapter 6?
5. How does Miranda's character develop independence in Chapter 3?
6. What does Miranda encounter when she goes to respond to Wysteria's bell in Chapter 6?
7. What does Miranda learn about Wysteria's marriage in Chapter 2? Why does she choose to stay with Wysteria?
8. What leads Miranda to begin wandering further from the Manor in Chapter 5?
9. How is the protagonist of the novel introduced in Chapter 1? Where is she taken and by whom?
10. How are the early years of Miranda's stay described in Chapter 2? What does Wysteria use to keep Miranda from leaving?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the motif of flying in "Bird". How does this motif relate to the symbolism and imagery in the attic?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the setting of the Captain's study and analyze the character of Captain Barrows in the narrative. Why is Miranda curious about the Captain?
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast the characteristics of Miranda and Captain Barrows in the novel. How are they similar? How do they differ?
This section contains 864 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)