|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Wysteria has the odd habit of locking every single window in the Manor when?
2. Who does Miranda take with her when she leaves the manor in Chapter 7?
3. Miranda says in Chapter 2 that she was adept at what from a young age?
4. The boys who jeer at Miranda in Chapter 7 say that she is Wysteria's what?
5. Miranda longs to do what in Chapter 4?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Miranda feel after she has left the Manor in Chapter 7?
2. How does the author contrast Miranda and Wysteria regarding their interests and values in Chapter 4?
3. What does Miranda begin doing every morning in Chapter 4? Why?
4. Who does Miranda encounter along her journey in Chapter 7? What comments are made?
5. Describe Miranda's process of working in Chapter 3. How does Wysteria treat Miranda regarding her work?
6. What leads Miranda to leave the Manor in Chapter 7? Who does she take with her?
7. How does Miranda's character develop independence in Chapter 3?
8. What happens when Miranda finds the doctor's office in Chapter 7?
9. How does Miranda feel about Farley's absence in the beginning of Chapter 7?
10. What is Miranda's response to the boys in Chapter 7? What does she learn of the Manor from them?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the theme of oppression in the novel. What symbolism supports this theme?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the genre of fantasy fiction, and the biography and works of the author. What recognition has Murphy received for her novels?
Essay Topic 3
Describe the character of Miss Moreland and the exposition revealed by her in Chapter 9. What does Miss Moreland relate of Dr. Mead?
This section contains 811 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)