|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Anne suggest feedback from someone close to you yields?
(a) Mindless suggestions and a loss of friends.
(b) Better plots and newer characters.
(c) A headache and ulcer.
(d) Confidence and time to improve the work.
2. According to Anne, what two things can teach you to give of yourself?
(a) Your work in progess and your three-year-old.
(b) A credit card bill and a gas guzzling automobile.
(c) Characters and short assignments.
(d) A three-year-old and characters.
3. How does Anne suggest you should expect someone to review your work?
(a) In both a gentle and harsh way.
(b) In a harsh and savage way.
(c) With a big red crayon.
(d) In a gentle and encouraging way.
4. How do you get your confidence and intuition back?
(a) By taking a writing class.
(b) By stopping the chattering of the rational mind.
(c) By exercising daily.
(d) By calling a friend.
5. What other writing skill did Anne use to write her letter to Sam?
(b) One-inch picture frame.
(c) Calling around.
(d) School lunches.
6. Every writer needs discipline, but what is one way Anne suggests to give yourself a break and still be productive?
(a) Writing on index cards.
(b) Eat a Kit-Kat bar.
(c) Calling around.
7. What is the way to the truth, your truth, according to Anne?
(a) To go through your anger, damage, and grief.
(b) Endure time alone with your thoguhts.
(c) Writing as someone else would.
(d) Meditation and expensive therapy.
8. What does Anne suggest students do when faced with "writer's block?"
(a) Breathe calmly and meditate.
(b) Accept that they are not in a creative period right now, in doing so you free yourself to fill up again.
(c) Accept that they are challenged writers who should take her class again later.
(d) Write about school breakfasts to get the creativeness flowing.
9. According to Anne, becoming a writer is about becoming ________.
10. KFKD plays in stereo. What does Anne say plays out of the left and right speakers?
(a) It does not play in stereo at all, everybody knows you are the best writer in the world.
(b) Right speaker plays how gifted you are, the left how incredible your writing is.
(c) Right speaker plays how gifted your are, the left how awful your writing is.
(d) Right speaker plays how awful you are, the left how awul your writing is.
11. How does Anne write at times when she is stuck?
(a) She does not write at all, but goes to the beach instead.
(b) She writes in first person.
(c) As if she was dying tomorrow.
(d) As if she will live forever.
12. Why did we lose access to our broccoli?
(a) Dr. Suess took it away.
(b) Grown-ups corrected, ridiculed, or punished us for our words.
(c) We got lazy.
(d) Writer's block.
13. What does Anne suggest you do when your mind starts to wander again and again?
(a) Blast heavy-metal music again.
(b) Call a friend again.
(c) Gently bring your mind back to your work.
(d) Take another nap.
14. Why did Pammy's doctor tell Anne to watch Pammy carefully in her final days?
(a) Pammy's doctor did not want her as a patient any more.
(b) For Anne to see that cancer affects the body, but the essence of the person lives.
(c) Pammy was teaching Anne how to live.
(d) For Anne to call and report Pammy's progress.
15. According to Anne, when did we hear and listen to our intuition?
(a) As children.
(b) As adults.
(c) At age 20.
(d) As teenagers.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the fourteenth Dalai Lama claim to be his religion?
2. According to Anne, what should our stories encompass?
3. What is the best way to quiet KFKD?
4. When you are still, and breathing calmly, what can happen, according to Anne?
5. When writing her letter to Sam, who did Anne picture peering over her shoulder?
This section contains 701 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)