|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is publication like for Anne?
(a) The last few weeks of pregnancy and the first day of seventh-day PE class.
(b) Her phone rings off the hook with friends and publishers calling her.
(c) It is really uneventful, no one notices or comments.
(d) A joyous event and all her self-doubt is erased.
2. What did Anne and her friend Carpenter do for each other on the day they both had books out?
(a) Unknowingly went to the same bookstore for a signing.
(b) Called each other to say congratulations.
(c) Consoled each other with boxes of chocolates and martinis.
(d) Unknowingly sent flowers to each other.
3. What are bound galleys?
(a) Your manuscript held together by a galley.
(b) A paper-bound book with food reviews on it.
(c) A paper-bound book with manuscript set in type.
(d) Where a cook is chained to the kitchen on a ship.
4. What does the fourteenth Dalai Lama claim to be his religion?
(b) Moral position.
(d) Good ethics.
5. According to Anne, what does being a writer guarantee?
(a) You will get published and receive lots of money.
(b) You will spend too much time alone.
(c) You will travel and meet many interesting people.
(d) You will become neurotic.
6. What does Anne determine needs to be at the center of your stories?
(a) A good climax.
(b) A beautiful set design.
(c) Grape jelly, raspberry has too many seeds.
(d) Something you care passionately about.
7. What joy has Anne found in publication?
(a) Knowing that she is doing what she loves best.
(b) Knowing that more book offers are on the way.
(c) The money.
(d) Realizing that work is over and she can move on now.
8. Where did Anne get the idea to use broccoli as her intuition?
(a) Samuel Goldwyn.
(b) Mel Brooks.
(c) Dr. Suess.
(d) The fourteenth Dalai Lama.
9. Of Anne's former students, the four that formed a writing group, how many of them had been published?
(d) All of them.
10. What Sharon Olds poem does Anne pass out at every class?
(a) I Write.
(c) I Go Back to May 1937.
(d) The Winds Carried Me.
11. Where does Anne say a moral position begins?
(a) In the heart of a character.
(b) In a bad first draft.
(c) In the plot treatment.
(d) In a proper set design.
12. If we do not have our broccoli to help us write, what guides us?
(a) The one-inch picture frame.
(b) The plot treatment.
(c) Our rational mind.
(d) The set design.
13. How do Anne's students often respond when asked why they want to write?
(a) They do not want to be silenced anymore.
(b) They want money, fame, and fortune.
(c) They want to get published.
(d) They are looking for a writing companion.
14. Why does Anne state that writing matters?
(a) Only to heal the writer.
(b) To heal the writer and get published.
(c) Because you can get published.
(d) Because you can affect the heart and spirit of the reader.
15. When writing her letter to Sam, who did Anne picture peering over her shoulder?
(b) Dr. Suess.
(c) Her editor.
Short Answer Questions
1. How do you get your confidence and intuition back?
2. Why does Anne say we are to tell the truth and write in our own voice?
3. What is libel?
4. What did Anne's book do for her father?
5. As a writer, what is very hard for Anne to take?
This section contains 664 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)