|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. If we do not have our broccoli to help us write, what guides us?
(a) Our rational mind.
(b) The one-inch picture frame.
(c) The plot treatment.
(d) The set design.
2. Every writer needs discipline, but what is one way Anne suggests to give yourself a break and still be productive?
(a) Calling around.
(c) Eat a Kit-Kat bar.
(d) Writing on index cards.
3. What other writing skill did Anne use to write her letter to Sam?
(a) School lunches.
(b) One-inch picture frame.
(d) Calling around.
4. What does Anne state that financial success guarantees a writer?
(a) More paranoia.
(b) Adoring fans.
(c) Many book signings.
(d) A more expensive set of problems.
5. What does Anne suggest you do when your mind starts to wander again and again?
(a) Gently bring your mind back to your work.
(b) Call a friend again.
(c) Blast heavy-metal music again.
(d) Take another nap.
6. What is libel?
(a) Making untrue accusations.
(b) Defamation by written or printed word.
(c) It is the liberty within us all.
(d) What you can sue the papers for and get lots of money.
7. Where does Anne say a moral position begins?
(a) In the heart of a character.
(b) In a proper set design.
(c) In the plot treatment.
(d) In a bad first draft.
8. What voice does Anne say is the real and true voice of a writer?
(a) The broccoli voice.
(b) Their own voice.
(c) The voice playing on KFKD.
(d) Another writer's voice.
9. What is one reason Anne wrote the book for her father?
(a) The Dalai Lama himself told her to write it.
(b) There was only one book about cancer that was funny.
(c) She needed an advance from her agent.
(d) She was jealous of another writer's book about cancer.
10. What did Anne use to entertain her son, Sam, while he was in the emergency room?
(a) Index cards and tongue depressors.
(b) Readings from her favorite book.
(c) Finger puppets.
(d) A stethoscope.
11. According to Anne, when did we hear and listen to our intuition?
(a) As adults.
(b) As teenagers.
(c) At age 20.
(d) As children.
12. What does Anne state is the most degrading occupational hazard of being a writer?
(c) Unruly characters.
13. What are good ways to start writing groups?
(a) Put an ad on a bulletin board and ask people on the street.
(b) Ask people from class, or put an ad in the newpapers and on bulletin boards.
(c) Ask people on the street and your family members.
(d) Put an ad in the newspaper and ask your family members.
14. Anne has written two books and a short story as presents. Who were they for?
(a) Her father, Pammy, and Brice's parents.
(b) Pammy, her father, and her son.
(c) Her father, Pammy, and Brice.
(d) The Dalai Lama, her father, and Pammy.
15. You brought your work into being, what does Anne say you must give it every day?
(a) Food, health, advice, and love.
(b) Good plot lines and a terrific set.
(c) You do not have to give your work anything on a daily basis.
(d) Time and patience.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Ms. Allende's writing style offer to the reader?
2. Where did the book Anne wrote about her friend Pammy originate?
3. Why does Anne say we are to tell the truth and write in our own voice?
4. What does Anne suggest students do when faced with "writer's block?"
5. A moral position is not a message, but what is it according to Anne?
This section contains 693 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)