|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Anne say the single greatest obstacle is to listening to your broccoli?
(a) Radishes, they always overpower everything.
(b) Radio station KFKD.
(c) Inconsistency with your characters.
(d) The paranoid voices.
2. What joy has Anne found in publication?
(a) Realizing that work is over and she can move on now.
(b) Knowing that more book offers are on the way.
(c) Knowing that she is doing what she loves best.
(d) The money.
3. How does Anne suggest finding a partner to read your work?
(a) Ask someone whose work you admire if they would like to work with you.
(b) Ask someone who rarely reads if they would read your work.
(c) Ask someone who is a best seller if they would like to work with you.
(d) Put an ad in the paper or on the bulletin board.
4. What does Anne consider a gift if you have it?
(a) Ability to speak another language.
(b) Patience with a three-year-old.
(c) A connection with the Dalai Lama.
(d) Sophisticated innocence.
5. What did Anne have after a full day of calling around?
(a) A description of chardonnay wine.
(b) A description of how to train grapevines.
(c) A description of vineyards.
(d) Nothing, no one had any material for her that was useful.
6. What does Anne state that financial success guarantees a writer?
(a) A more expensive set of problems.
(b) More paranoia.
(c) Many book signings.
(d) Adoring fans.
7. When writing her letter to Sam, who did Anne picture peering over her shoulder?
(a) Her editor.
(c) Dr. Suess.
8. How do you get your confidence and intuition back?
(a) By stopping the chattering of the rational mind.
(b) By calling a friend.
(c) By exercising daily.
(d) By taking a writing class.
9. A moral position is not a message, but what is it according to Anne?
(a) Something you need to make sure everyone believes, or you shouldn't associate with them.
(b) A passionate caring inside you.
(c) Wishful thinking.
(d) Something to spend a couple of paragraphs on in your book.
10. Why did Pammy's doctor tell Anne to watch Pammy carefully in her final days?
(a) Pammy's doctor did not want her as a patient any more.
(b) For Anne to see that cancer affects the body, but the essence of the person lives.
(c) Pammy was teaching Anne how to live.
(d) For Anne to call and report Pammy's progress.
11. Before she sends copies to her editor or agent, who reads Anne's drafts for her?
(a) Her two best friends.
(b) A student and a librarian.
(c) Her best friend and a librarian.
(d) Her son and the guy at the copy shop.
12. According to Anne, what can the writing of an informal letter free you from?
(a) Plot treatments.
13. Where does Anne keep her index cards?
(b) In her purse.
(c) In a nice stack on her desk.
(d) In her pocket and in her car.
14. What does Anne state is the most degrading occupational hazard of being a writer?
(b) Unruly characters.
15. According to Anne, your unconscious cannot work when this is going on.
(a) When KFKD is on.
(b) When you are breathing down its neck.
(c) When you cannot get a particular song out of your head.
(d) When you are jealous.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Anne state that writing matters?
2. What is the best thing to do when you have a decision to make and do not know what to do?
3. Secretly, why do some people attend Anne's writing class?
4. What is libel?
5. What voice does Anne say is the real and true voice of a writer?
This section contains 692 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)