|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. According to Anne, your unconscious cannot work when this is going on.
(a) When you are breathing down its neck.
(b) When you cannot get a particular song out of your head.
(c) When you are jealous.
(d) When KFKD is on.
2. How does Anne wish she could write all the time?
(a) Passionately and accurately.
(b) Fastly and accurately.
(c) Truthfully and soulfully.
(d) Carefully and soulfully.
3. What voice does Anne say is the real and true voice of a writer?
(a) The voice playing on KFKD.
(b) Their own voice.
(c) The broccoli voice.
(d) Another writer's voice.
4. What did Annie Dillard say about writing?
(a) Take it bird by bird.
(b) You should never write when you are upset.
(c) Be conscious of how much you have to give, and save up for furture projects.
(d) You have to give the work before you your best, not saving up for a later project.
5. Anne does not agree with the word "block," which suggests something is constipated or stuck. How does she describe 'writer's block'?
(a) As having the rug pulled out from under you.
(b) As being as jealous as the green-eyed monster.
(c) As being empty.
(d) As being nervous as a long-tailed cat in a room full of rocking chairs.
6. What joy has Anne found in publication?
(a) Realizing that work is over and she can move on now.
(b) Knowing that she is doing what she loves best.
(c) The money.
(d) Knowing that more book offers are on the way.
7. What does Anne consider a gift if you have it?
(a) Ability to speak another language.
(b) A connection with the Dalai Lama.
(c) Sophisticated innocence.
(d) Patience with a three-year-old.
8. Every writer needs discipline, but what is one way Anne suggests to give yourself a break and still be productive?
(a) Writing on index cards.
(b) Eat a Kit-Kat bar.
(c) Calling around.
9. What is one reason Anne wrote the book for her father?
(a) There was only one book about cancer that was funny.
(b) She was jealous of another writer's book about cancer.
(c) The Dalai Lama himself told her to write it.
(d) She needed an advance from her agent.
10. What does Ms. Allende's writing style offer to the reader?
(a) A headache.
(b) Sharp turns and suspenseful drama.
(c) A sense of being understood.
(d) Nourishment of the imagination and wonder.
11. What did Anne's book do for her father?
(a) Gave him the best possible months before he died and the best death.
(b) It gave him hope to get better.
(c) It gave him an ulcer, because Anne was not a very good writer at this point.
(d) It gave him inspiration to write a book before he died.
12. What did Jean Rhys write about the success of writers?
(a) What is good for one is good for all.
(b) Enjoy your success, this is your moment that you have earned.
(c) Worker bees work, queen bees get the glory.
(d) The Gulf Stream is big, get a straw.
13. When you are stuck in your writing, but you can not leave it alone, what is something Anne suggests to try?
(a) Writing part of a character's history in a one-inch picture frame.
(b) Writing part of a character's history in the form of a letter.
(c) Go ahead and take a break, make a phone call.
(d) Write the same word over and over, noticing every letter and the sound it makes.
14. What does Anne believe drives a writer's work?
(a) The writer believing in the position taken by the characters.
(b) The climax.
15. Anne has written two books and a short story as presents. Who were they for?
(a) Her father, Pammy, and Brice.
(b) Her father, Pammy, and Brice's parents.
(c) The Dalai Lama, her father, and Pammy.
(d) Pammy, her father, and her son.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Anne keep her index cards?
2. Why did we lose access to our broccoli?
3. What is libel?
4. What does Anne use index cards for?
5. When writing her letter to Sam, who did Anne picture peering over her shoulder?
This section contains 728 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)