|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Anne sometimes use her index cards for?
(a) Thought provoking party favors.
(b) Set design.
(c) Nothing, she throws them all away.
(d) Short assignments, to get writing again.
2. What joy has Anne found in publication?
(a) Realizing that work is over and she can move on now.
(b) Knowing that more book offers are on the way.
(c) Knowing that she is doing what she loves best.
(d) The money.
3. What does Anne state is the most degrading occupational hazard of being a writer?
(b) Unruly characters.
4. According to Anne, what is publication not going to do for you?
(a) Make writing easier for the next novel.
(b) Assist you in writing a screen play.
(c) Change your life.
(d) Help you get over your jealousy.
5. What is the myth of publication, according to Anne?
(a) It is a joyous event and your phone rings off the hook with kudos from friends.
(b) There is no myth of publication, it really is a joyous event.
(c) It is a joyous event and all self-doubt is erased.
(d) All self-doubt is erased and you get a new home.
6. What did Anne have after a full day of calling around?
(a) A description of chardonnay wine.
(b) Nothing, no one had any material for her that was useful.
(c) A description of how to train grapevines.
(d) A description of vineyards.
7. In Anne's comments on the Gulf Stream, what is the straw a metaphor for?
(a) Our pencil, a river of stories pour though it.
(b) Us, as writers. The river of the story pours through us.
(c) KFKD, it is as big as the Gulf Stream.
(d) Our fingers, a river of stories pour through them.
8. Of Anne's former students, the four that formed a writing group, how many of them had been published?
(d) All of them.
9. What voice does Anne say is the real and true voice of a writer?
(a) The voice playing on KFKD.
(b) Their own voice.
(c) The broccoli voice.
(d) Another writer's voice.
10. What did Anne's book do for her father?
(a) It gave him hope to get better.
(b) It gave him an ulcer, because Anne was not a very good writer at this point.
(c) It gave him inspiration to write a book before he died.
(d) Gave him the best possible months before he died and the best death.
11. What did Anne and her friend Carpenter do for each other on the day they both had books out?
(a) Consoled each other with boxes of chocolates and martinis.
(b) Unknowingly sent flowers to each other.
(c) Unknowingly went to the same bookstore for a signing.
(d) Called each other to say congratulations.
12. According to Anne, your unconscious cannot work when this is going on.
(a) When KFKD is on.
(b) When you cannot get a particular song out of your head.
(c) When you are breathing down its neck.
(d) When you are jealous.
13. What does Anne suggest you do when your mind starts to wander again and again?
(a) Call a friend again.
(b) Gently bring your mind back to your work.
(c) Blast heavy-metal music again.
(d) Take another nap.
14. What is Henry James' classic line about a writer looking for his glasses which were atop his head?
(a) "A writer is someone on whom nothing is lost."
(b) "A writer is someone who has lots to loose."
(c) "A writer always needs to wear his glasses."
(d) "A writer is someone who looses lots."
15. What constructive way does Anne suggest a writer deal with jealousy?
(a) Tell your therapist about the feelings.
(b) Simply forget about it and move on, because your turn is next.
(c) Use it as material in a book.
(d) Write down your feelings then crumple up the paper and throw it away.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Anne determine needs to be at the center of your stories?
2. Where does Anne say a moral position begins?
3. What does Ms. Allende's writing style offer to the reader?
4. What soothes and heals Anne when she is paranoid, jealous, or upset for any reason?
5. What are bound galleys?
This section contains 746 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)