|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did Anne and her friend Carpenter do for each other on the day they both had books out?
(a) Called each other to say congratulations.
(b) Consoled each other with boxes of chocolates and martinis.
(c) Unknowingly sent flowers to each other.
(d) Unknowingly went to the same bookstore for a signing.
2. What does Anne use index cards for?
(a) Taking notes and paper airplanes.
(b) Paper airplanes and picking her teeth.
(c) Making lists and taking notes.
(d) Making lists and picking her teeth.
3. Of Anne's former students, the four that formed a writing group, how many of them had been published?
(a) All of them.
4. When writing her letter to Sam, who did Anne picture peering over her shoulder?
(a) Her editor.
(d) Dr. Suess.
5. Where did the book Anne wrote about her friend Pammy originate?
(a) Her father's book.
(b) A letter to the San Francisco Giants.
(c) Journal entries about Sam as a baby.
(d) A short assignment about index cards.
6. When you are still, and breathing calmly, what can happen, according to Anne?
(a) You can write from the perspective of the fourteenth Dalai Lama.
(b) You can hear the voices of your characters, above the rantings of KFKD.
(c) You fall asleep.
(d) KFKD blares louder than ever.
7. What is the way to the truth, your truth, according to Anne?
(a) Writing as someone else would.
(b) Endure time alone with your thoguhts.
(c) Meditation and expensive therapy.
(d) To go through your anger, damage, and grief.
8. How does Anne suggest finding a partner to read your work?
(a) Ask someone who rarely reads if they would read your work.
(b) Put an ad in the paper or on the bulletin board.
(c) Ask someone whose work you admire if they would like to work with you.
(d) Ask someone who is a best seller if they would like to work with you.
9. Why did we lose access to our broccoli?
(a) Grown-ups corrected, ridiculed, or punished us for our words.
(b) Dr. Suess took it away.
(c) Writer's block.
(d) We got lazy.
10. What does Anne state that financial success guarantees a writer?
(a) Adoring fans.
(b) A more expensive set of problems.
(c) More paranoia.
(d) Many book signings.
11. According to Anne, what can the writing of an informal letter free you from?
(a) Plot treatments.
12. What ultimately helped Anne overcome her jealousy?
(a) Talking to a friend.
(c) Going to visit family.
(d) Feeling it and then writing about it.
13. If we do not have our broccoli to help us write, what guides us?
(a) The plot treatment.
(b) The set design.
(c) Our rational mind.
(d) The one-inch picture frame.
14. Where did Sam's pastor say is the only place we can find peace?
(a) In a fortune cookie.
(b) In publication.
(c) In our hearts.
(d) In meditation.
15. How does Anne suggest you should expect someone to review your work?
(a) In a gentle and encouraging way.
(b) In both a gentle and harsh way.
(c) With a big red crayon.
(d) In a harsh and savage way.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Anne suggest feedback from someone close to you yields?
2. When you are stuck in your writing, but you can not leave it alone, what is something Anne suggests to try?
3. KFKD plays in stereo. What does Anne say plays out of the left and right speakers?
4. A moral position is not a message, but what is it according to Anne?
5. What is the name of the wire that covers all champagne corks?
This section contains 721 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)