|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Part 3, Help Along the Way, Section 1, Index Cards.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the basic formula for drama?
(a) Setup, buildup, payoff.
(b) Buildup, payoff, setup.
(c) Setup, switch, sendoff.
(d) There is no formula, drama naturally occurs.
2. Anne's editor loved the characters in her book, but what was the problem with the book?
(a) She had false starts all over the place.
(b) The dialect was all wrong.
(c) She had not brought them all together.
(d) The garden was not believable.
3. When a character takes on a characteristic that you have no good experience in, what should you do?
(a) Look at your plot, it will tell you what to write.
(b) Contact someone who has this life experience.
(c) Google the characteristic, everything online is true.
(d) Wing it, the readers will not know.
4. In Anne's comments on the Gulf Stream, what is the straw a metaphor for?
(a) Us, as writers. The river of the story pours through us.
(b) Our pencil, a river of stories pour though it.
(c) Our fingers, a river of stories pour through them.
(d) KFKD, it is as big as the Gulf Stream.
5. How does Anne describe the Polaroid?
(a) You are not supposed to know what the picture looks like until it finishes developing.
(b) Quick and easy, just like writing.
(c) You point and shoot at what you think you want, but it does not always turn out as expected.
(d) Anybody can take a Polariod picture, as long as there is film in the camera.
Short Answer Questions
1. When you are still, and breathing calmly, what can happen, according to Anne?
2. What does Anne say perfectionism will block?
3. In Part 1, Section 6, Polaroids, who was the self-proclaimed "cool man?"
4. What is Anne's comment on messes?
5. In Anne's opinion, who writes bad first drafts?
This section contains 380 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)