|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the first task of the mind, according to Coleridge?
2. How old was Coleridge when he was first published?
3. Coleridge claims to owe what fraction of his reputation to critics?
4. Which of the following examined the functioning of the mind, as mentioned by Coleridge?
5. What is the first inner experience category Coleridge mentions?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Coleridge describe delirium?
2. How does Coleridge say that knowledge can be subjective and objective at the same time?
3. How did Wordsworth experiment with poetry, and how did he fare?
4. What does Coleridge say about Descartes?
5. Why does Coleridge say Wordsworth's style was inconsistent?
6. What does Coleridge believes makes a review salable?
7. What does Coleridge say about Hartley?
8. What does Coleridge say about rivals?
9. Why does Coleridge say a poem's subject should be remote from the poet?
10. How does the chain of association work?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What is the significance of the list of theses that Coleridge mentions? Choose one of the theses to explore in-depth in your essay. Explain what it is as well as its significance.
Essay Topic 2
What relationship did Coleridge have with critics? Was this reputation earned?
Essay Topic 3
Describe the way Coleridge compares Wordsworth to Samuel Daniel and Crowley. What strengths and weaknesses does he discover in his comparison? Who does Coleridge find to be the strongest of these three writers, and why?
This section contains 612 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)