|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Coleridge feels he does not deserve which of the following that he has experienced?
2. How does Coleridge seem to view most reviewers?
3. Who did Hartley diverge from?
4. Coleridge claims to owe what fraction of his reputation to critics?
5. Who does Coleridge describe as a favorite?
Short Essay Questions
1. What are the inner experience categories Coleridge describes?
2. How does Coleridge describe the motives of men?
3. Why does Coleridge say Wordsworth's style was inconsistent?
4. What is meter?
5. What does Coleridge think about his first book of poems?
6. What place does Coleridge think religion has in the world?
7. How does Coleridge describe Wordsworth's theory of style?
8. What are the five agents Coleridge describes?
9. What are some examples Coleridge points out of reviews being unfair?
10. Why does Coleridge say a poem's subject should be remote from the poet?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Why does Coleridge place significance on the bad reviews he has read instead of the good? How does this tie into the conclusion and Coleridge's view of religion and blame?
Essay Topic 2
One major theme in Biographia Literaria is cause and effect. Demonstrate how this is true with at least two pieces of evidence from the text.
Essay Topic 3
What relationship did Coleridge have with critics? Was this reputation earned?
This section contains 606 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)