|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Coleridge says that many reviews will condemn a work without doing which of these?
(a) Citing it.
(b) Being helpful.
(c) Mentioning the beauty in the work.
(d) Mentioning the author's skills.
2. What does Coleridge say meter originates from?
3. What kind of poet does Coleridge say uses natural language?
(a) Disadvantaged poets.
(b) Modern poets.
(c) Bad poets.
(d) Older poets.
4. Coleridge does not think that poetry lends itself to use in which scenario specifically?
(a) Formal language.
(b) Everyday language.
(c) Casual language.
(d) Moral language.
5. Coleridge says that Samuel Daniel's work shows no mark of which of the following?
6. Coleridge claims that a great poet must also be which of the following?
7. What kind of language does Coleridge attribute to modern poets?
(a) Casual language.
(b) Natural language.
(c) Fantastic language.
(d) Dull language.
8. Who did Coleridge say he was ignorant of?
9. Who does Coleridge state is so unique that he cannot be imitated?
10. What does Coleridge say the word "pedantry" means?
(a) The use of unsuitable examples.
(b) The use of unsuitable philosophies.
(c) The use of unsuitable words.
(d) The use of unsuitable functions.
11. What kind of poet does Coleridge say conveys trivial thoughts?
(a) Sanctimonious poets.
(b) Old poets.
(c) Good poets.
(d) Modern poets.
12. How does Coleridge describe man's spirit?
13. According to Coleridge, meter results from an interplay between which combination?
(a) Freedom and innocence.
(b) Happiness and fruitfulness.
(c) Anger and fear.
(d) Passion and will.
14. Coleridge says that e subject from a poem should be remote from what?
(a) Any location the author knows of.
(b) The reader.
(c) The author.
(d) Any realm.
15. What does Coleridge describe as the result of both the conscious and unconscious?
(a) Positive knowledge.
(b) Negative knowledge.
(c) Negative imagination.
(d) Positive imagination.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to Coleridge, those living a rustic life have which of the following instead of language?
2. Coleridge says that a reader should find a poet to be which of the following?
3. Coleridge says that meter comes from a state of which emotion?
4. Which thesis states that truth must have corresponding reality?
5. Coleridge says that Wordsworth's writing shows depth of which of the following?
This section contains 372 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)