|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Eugene say Carney can't be counted on?
2. What gift does Daisy give Eugene?
3. What does Toomey tell Epstein to take from him?
4. Who said something similar to what Eugene wrote about Carney?
5. What does Eugene tell Daisy he wants to be?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the culture of the army in the play.
1) What does the army expect from its soldiers? What type of discipline, regulations, and values does the army promote?
2) Why is army food bad, and why are the soldiers required to eat all of their food?
3) The army brings together many different men from different cultures. How does the diversity of soldiers contribute to the culture of the army? Does it cause conflict? Does it have any benefits?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the play as a coming-of-age story.
1) How does Eugene mature during the course of the play? What knowledge, experience, and understanding about the world does he gain?
2) In what ways is boot camp a rite of passage that serves as a transition from childhood to adulthood?
3) How is Eugene's visit to the prostitute a rite of passage? What other rites of passage are there in the play?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss humor in the play.
1) How do the characters use humor in their interactions? How do they use humor as insults? How does humor form part of their friendship?
2) In what ways does the author use humor in the play? How does the author combine serious issues such as prejudice and war with humor?
This section contains 317 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)