|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Daisy say she can't do with Eugene?
2. What does Epstein tell Eugene to leave out of his writing?
3. What does Toomey tell Epstein to take from him?
4. How close does Eugene feel from being a writer?
5. How did the unidentified soldier escape?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The play BILOXI BLUES is about soldiers during wartime, but little is actually seen of the war. Discuss the role of war in the novel.
1) Why does the play show Eugene's experience before shipping overseas, and then end with his retelling of events during the war, but not show the war itself?
2) How real does the war seem to the soldiers in boot camp?
3) What affect does the existence of the war, which the soldiers will soon have to become a part of, have on their decisions and attitudes?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss humor in the play.
1) How do the characters use humor in their interactions? How do they use humor as insults? How does humor form part of their friendship?
2) In what ways does the author use humor in the play? How does the author combine serious issues such as prejudice and war with humor?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the play as a coming-of-age story.
1) How does Eugene mature during the course of the play? What knowledge, experience, and understanding about the world does he gain?
2) In what ways is boot camp a rite of passage that serves as a transition from childhood to adulthood?
3) How is Eugene's visit to the prostitute a rite of passage? What other rites of passage are there in the play?
This section contains 326 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)