Final Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Eugene say that his moment with Daisy is important?
2. What does Toomey ask Epstein?
3. What happened to Epstein?
4. Why does Daisy resist Eugene's advance on her?
5. How close does Eugene feel from being a writer?
Essay Topic 1
Discuss homosexuality in the play.
1) How do the soldiers view homosexuality, and why? Why do they use homosexuality as an insult?
2) Why does Eugene suspect Epstein is gay, and why does this make him reluctant to become close to Epstein? Why are the other soldiers quick to think that Eugene might be right?
3) Does Hennessey's experience as a homosexual man in the army change how he reacts to the other soldiers and instances of bigotry? What is the army's reaction to homosexuality, and why?
Essay Topic 2
Toomey's method of teaching the soldiers is one of cruelty and punishment. Discuss this methodology and its portrayal in the play.
1) Why does Toomey use cruel methods to train the soldiers? What does his method have to do with his experiences in the war? What is Toomey trying to accomplish?
2) How do Toomey's methods forge and change the relationships between the soldiers?
3) What kind of relationship does Toomey develop with the soldiers? Why do they miss him after he's gone?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the culture of the army in the play.
1) What does the army expect from its soldiers? What type of discipline, regulations, and values does the army promote?
2) Why is army food bad, and why are the soldiers required to eat all of their food?
3) The army brings together many different men from different cultures. How does the diversity of soldiers contribute to the culture of the army? Does it cause conflict? Does it have any benefits?
This section contains 394 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)