|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What mood is Eugene in at the beginning of the scene?
2. What does Eugene do to a page of his journal?
3. What excuse does Epstein use for not stopping the reading?
4. What does Carney do at the end of Act 2, Scene 4?
5. Who holds Eugene when he tries to get the notebook back?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the culture of the army in the play.
1) What does the army expect from its soldiers? What type of discipline, regulations, and values does the army promote?
2) Why is army food bad, and why are the soldiers required to eat all of their food?
3) The army brings together many different men from different cultures. How does the diversity of soldiers contribute to the culture of the army? Does it cause conflict? Does it have any benefits?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the role of fantasy in the novel.
1) What are the different soldiers' fantasies, and what do those fantasies say about their characters? Can their fantasies be separated into different categories?
2) What is Toomey's fantasy, and why? Is Toomey's fantasy different from the soldiers' fantasies, and what does it say about Toomey as a character?
3) What role does having fantasies play in the characters' lives? Why do the characters want to discuss and bet on their fantasies?
Essay Topic 3
Eugene grows from a boy into a man during the course of the play. How does the play define the quality of manhood?
1) What does it mean to be a man for Eugene? What is required of a man that's not required of a boy?
2) How does sex relate to manhood in the play? How does war relate to manhood in the play?
3) How do men in the play relate to each other? Do boys relate to each other differently than men?
This section contains 349 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)