|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Daisy resist Eugene doing?
2. Where was Wykowski wounded?
3. Where is Carney at the end of Act 2, Scene 4?
4. Why does Daisy resist Eugene's advance on her?
5. What causes Eugene to think that Private Lindstrom must have talked?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the culture of the army in the play.
1) What does the army expect from its soldiers? What type of discipline, regulations, and values does the army promote?
2) Why is army food bad, and why are the soldiers required to eat all of their food?
3) The army brings together many different men from different cultures. How does the diversity of soldiers contribute to the culture of the army? Does it cause conflict? Does it have any benefits?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss sex and love in the play.
1) What distinctions does Eugene make between sex and love? Why does he find his first sexual experience dissatisfying, and why does he begin to look for love after it?
2) Does Eugene have a realistic view of sex? Does he have a realistic view of love? How do his views change over the course of the play?
3) How do the soldiers view sex? How do their views differ? How do their views of sex influence their views of women and love?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the role of fantasy in the novel.
1) What are the different soldiers' fantasies, and what do those fantasies say about their characters? Can their fantasies be separated into different categories?
2) What is Toomey's fantasy, and why? Is Toomey's fantasy different from the soldiers' fantasies, and what does it say about Toomey as a character?
3) What role does having fantasies play in the characters' lives? Why do the characters want to discuss and bet on their fantasies?
This section contains 366 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)