|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Eugene do to a page of his journal?
2. Who discovered two members of the regiment having oral sex in the bathroom?
3. Where does Act 2, Scene 8 take place?
4. What causes Eugene to think that Private Lindstrom must have talked?
5. Who holds Eugene when he tries to get the notebook back?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Eugene grows from a boy into a man during the course of the play. How does the play define the quality of manhood?
1) What does it mean to be a man for Eugene? What is required of a man that's not required of a boy?
2) How does sex relate to manhood in the play? How does war relate to manhood in the play?
3) How do men in the play relate to each other? Do boys relate to each other differently than men?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss humor in the play.
1) How do the characters use humor in their interactions? How do they use humor as insults? How does humor form part of their friendship?
2) In what ways does the author use humor in the play? How does the author combine serious issues such as prejudice and war with humor?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the culture of the army in the play.
1) What does the army expect from its soldiers? What type of discipline, regulations, and values does the army promote?
2) Why is army food bad, and why are the soldiers required to eat all of their food?
3) The army brings together many different men from different cultures. How does the diversity of soldiers contribute to the culture of the army? Does it cause conflict? Does it have any benefits?
This section contains 329 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)