|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What evidence does Wykowski cite to accuse Epstein of being the escaped soldier?
2. What does Eugene do to a page of his journal?
3. How soon does Daisy have to be back?
4. Where is Daisy from?
5. What does Toomey do to get Epstein to take a drink?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Eugene grows from a boy into a man during the course of the play. How does the play define the quality of manhood?
1) What does it mean to be a man for Eugene? What is required of a man that's not required of a boy?
2) How does sex relate to manhood in the play? How does war relate to manhood in the play?
3) How do men in the play relate to each other? Do boys relate to each other differently than men?
Essay Topic 2
An "other" is someone who is different and becomes outcast. Discuss being different and the concept of the "other" in the play.
1) In what ways are each of the characters different and therefore outcast from the others? Which are outcasts in the culture of the army?
2) How do the characters react to the things that make other characters different? Do any of the characters relate their own status as "others" with ways in which others are also outcasts?
3) How does the idea of an outcast "other" relate to war? Who becomes the "other" during wartime, and how do the soldiers think and talk about this during the play?
Essay Topic 3
Boot camp takes young men who are adapted to civilian life and attempts to adapt them for life in a war. Discuss this aspect of the characters' time in boot camp.
1) What makes a person a good soldier in the play? How good or bad are the same personality traits in civilian society? Which of the soldiers are well adapted to being in a war?
2) Which of the characters are best adapted for civilian life, and why? How well-suited are their characteristics in war?
3) Do the characters learn strategies for adapting their civilian behaviors to becoming soldiers? In what ways?
This section contains 1,889 words
(approx. 7 pages at 300 words per page)