|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Daisy resist Eugene's advance on her?
2. What religious holiday is it?
3. What did Eugene write about Selridge?
4. What does Carney do at the end of Act 2, Scene 4?
5. Why is Eugene upset?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
One of Eugene's primary goals is to become a writer. Discuss this goal.
1) What qualities does a writer have? Does Eugene possess these qualities? How does Eugene's writing change over the course of the play?
2) Why does Eugene want to be a writer? Why is this an important goal?
3) What does it mean to be a writer? What does being a writer demand from Eugene?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the role of fantasy in the novel.
1) What are the different soldiers' fantasies, and what do those fantasies say about their characters? Can their fantasies be separated into different categories?
2) What is Toomey's fantasy, and why? Is Toomey's fantasy different from the soldiers' fantasies, and what does it say about Toomey as a character?
3) What role does having fantasies play in the characters' lives? Why do the characters want to discuss and bet on their fantasies?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss friendship in the novel.
1) The soldiers are thrown together from different backgrounds and with different personalities. To what extent do the soldiers develop friendships with each other? Which soldiers develop the closest friendships?
2) Is friendship different than mutual respect and reliance as soldiers? In what way?
3) How do the soldiers' differences from each other stand in the way of friendship? Does being in the army together forge friendship? How?
This section contains 348 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)