|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who holds Eugene when he tries to get the notebook back?
2. Who said something similar to what Eugene wrote about Carney?
3. What does Eugene tell Daisy he wants to be?
4. What does Daisy do after Eugene refuses to dance?
5. What does Daisy resist Eugene doing?
Essay Topic 1
The play BILOXI BLUES is about soldiers during wartime, but little is actually seen of the war. Discuss the role of war in the novel.
1) Why does the play show Eugene's experience before shipping overseas, and then end with his retelling of events during the war, but not show the war itself?
2) How real does the war seem to the soldiers in boot camp?
3) What affect does the existence of the war, which the soldiers will soon have to become a part of, have on their decisions and attitudes?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the play as a coming-of-age story.
1) How does Eugene mature during the course of the play? What knowledge, experience, and understanding about the world does he gain?
2) In what ways is boot camp a rite of passage that serves as a transition from childhood to adulthood?
3) How is Eugene's visit to the prostitute a rite of passage? What other rites of passage are there in the play?
Essay Topic 3
BILOXI BLUES is a story of soldiers in boot camp, and so it is a primarily male story. However, there are two significant female characters, and women play an important role in the soldiers' lives. Discuss the play's portrayal of women.
1) Compare Rowena to Daisy. What aspects of womanhood do they represent?
2) Why does Eugene fall for Daisy? What characteristics does he admire in her?
3) Are the portrayals of women in the play realistic? Are the women well-developed characters? How do the soldiers view women?
This section contains 1,887 words
(approx. 7 pages at 300 words per page)