|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What punishment does Epstein give Toomey?
2. Where does Eugene go to avoid what's about to happen?
3. Where is the U.S.O. dance located?
4. What does Toomey say that Epstein will do, so that Toomey will win the fantasy game?
5. Where is Toomey leaving the base to go?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
BILOXI BLUES is a story of soldiers in boot camp, and so it is a primarily male story. However, there are two significant female characters, and women play an important role in the soldiers' lives. Discuss the play's portrayal of women.
1) Compare Rowena to Daisy. What aspects of womanhood do they represent?
2) Why does Eugene fall for Daisy? What characteristics does he admire in her?
3) Are the portrayals of women in the play realistic? Are the women well-developed characters? How do the soldiers view women?
Essay Topic 2
Eugene grows from a boy into a man during the course of the play. How does the play define the quality of manhood?
1) What does it mean to be a man for Eugene? What is required of a man that's not required of a boy?
2) How does sex relate to manhood in the play? How does war relate to manhood in the play?
3) How do men in the play relate to each other? Do boys relate to each other differently than men?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss confrontation in the play.
1) Epstein isn't afraid to confront the other characters, while Eugene tends to be non-confrontational. Why do the two characters take these different attitudes? What are the dangers and benefits of Epstein and Eugene's attitudes toward confrontation?
2) Which of the soldiers are willing to be confrontational toward Toomey, in what circumstances, and why? What does this say about the soldiers?
3) How does being confrontational personally relate to one's ability to be a soldier in the play?
This section contains 377 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)