Final Test - Hard
|Name: _____________________________||Period: ___________________________|
This quiz consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Eugene say that his moment with Daisy is important?
2. What does Toomey ask Epstein?
3. What happened to Epstein?
4. Why does Daisy resist Eugene's advance on her?
5. How close does Eugene feel from being a writer?
An "other" is someone who is different and becomes outcast. Discuss being different and the concept of the "other" in the play.
1) In what ways are each of the characters different and therefore outcast from the others? Which are outcasts in the culture of the army?
2) How do the characters react to the things that make other characters different? Do any of the characters relate their own status as "others" with ways in which others are also outcasts?
3) How does the idea of an outcast "other" relate to war? Who becomes the "other" during wartime, and how do the soldiers think and talk about this during the play?
Discuss homosexuality in the play.
1) How do the soldiers view homosexuality, and why? Why do they use homosexuality as an insult?
2) Why does Eugene suspect Epstein is gay, and why does this make him reluctant to become close to Epstein? Why are the other soldiers quick to think that Eugene might be right?
3) Does Hennessey's experience as a homosexual man in the army change how he reacts to the other soldiers and instances of bigotry? What is the army's reaction to homosexuality, and why?
The play BILOXI BLUES is about soldiers during wartime, but little is actually seen of the war. Discuss the role of war in the novel.
1) Why does the play show Eugene's experience before shipping overseas, and then end with his retelling of events during the war, but not show the war itself?
2) How real does the war seem to the soldiers in boot camp?
3) What affect does the existence of the war, which the soldiers will soon have to become a part of, have on their decisions and attitudes?
This section contains 428 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)