|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What gift does Daisy give Eugene?
2. Who objects to reading Eugene's personal papers?
3. What is Eugene doing at the beginning of the scene?
4. What is Daisy's response to Eugene's declaration?
5. How does Rowena react when Eugene visits her again?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss friendship in the novel.
1) The soldiers are thrown together from different backgrounds and with different personalities. To what extent do the soldiers develop friendships with each other? Which soldiers develop the closest friendships?
2) Is friendship different than mutual respect and reliance as soldiers? In what way?
3) How do the soldiers' differences from each other stand in the way of friendship? Does being in the army together forge friendship? How?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss confrontation in the play.
1) Epstein isn't afraid to confront the other characters, while Eugene tends to be non-confrontational. Why do the two characters take these different attitudes? What are the dangers and benefits of Epstein and Eugene's attitudes toward confrontation?
2) Which of the soldiers are willing to be confrontational toward Toomey, in what circumstances, and why? What does this say about the soldiers?
3) How does being confrontational personally relate to one's ability to be a soldier in the play?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the role of religion in the play.
1) How seriously do the characters take their religions? What influences do the characters' religions have on them?
2) How is Daisy affected by Catholicism and by going to a Catholic school? How does her religious background affect her relationship with Eugene?
3) Are the soldiers' perceptions of Jewish people based in religion, or do they have a different basis?
This section contains 1,887 words
(approx. 7 pages at 300 words per page)