|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Toomey call out from the barracks?
2. What does Daisy do after Eugene refuses to dance?
3. How does Eugene feel about Daisy?
4. What does Eugene need to do while he dances?
5. Who does Toomey say Epstein must report to his army superiors?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the role of fantasy in the novel.
1) What are the different soldiers' fantasies, and what do those fantasies say about their characters? Can their fantasies be separated into different categories?
2) What is Toomey's fantasy, and why? Is Toomey's fantasy different from the soldiers' fantasies, and what does it say about Toomey as a character?
3) What role does having fantasies play in the characters' lives? Why do the characters want to discuss and bet on their fantasies?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss homosexuality in the play.
1) How do the soldiers view homosexuality, and why? Why do they use homosexuality as an insult?
2) Why does Eugene suspect Epstein is gay, and why does this make him reluctant to become close to Epstein? Why are the other soldiers quick to think that Eugene might be right?
3) Does Hennessey's experience as a homosexual man in the army change how he reacts to the other soldiers and instances of bigotry? What is the army's reaction to homosexuality, and why?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss sex and love in the play.
1) What distinctions does Eugene make between sex and love? Why does he find his first sexual experience dissatisfying, and why does he begin to look for love after it?
2) Does Eugene have a realistic view of sex? Does he have a realistic view of love? How do his views change over the course of the play?
3) How do the soldiers view sex? How do their views differ? How do their views of sex influence their views of women and love?
This section contains 370 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)