Final Test - Hard
|Name: _____________________________||Period: ___________________________|
This quiz consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Eugene say that his moment with Daisy is important?
2. What does Toomey ask Epstein?
3. What happened to Epstein?
4. Why does Daisy resist Eugene's advance on her?
5. How close does Eugene feel from being a writer?
When Wykowski and the other soldiers read about themselves in Eugene's journal, they are upset about what they've read. However, Epstein still encourages Eugene to be honest and not compromising in his writing. Discuss the role of honesty and truth in the play.
1) Why are the soldiers upset by Eugene's honest opinions? Is it wrong for Eugene to write his honest opinions?
2) Toomey steals money from Wykowski in order to foment distrust and anger among the men. What does this instance say about honesty and dishonesty? Why does Epstein falsely confess instead of telling the truth?
3) What other instances are there of honesty and dishonesty in the play, and how are they important?
One of Eugene's primary goals is to become a writer. Discuss this goal.
1) What qualities does a writer have? Does Eugene possess these qualities? How does Eugene's writing change over the course of the play?
2) Why does Eugene want to be a writer? Why is this an important goal?
3) What does it mean to be a writer? What does being a writer demand from Eugene?
Discuss sex and love in the play.
1) What distinctions does Eugene make between sex and love? Why does he find his first sexual experience dissatisfying, and why does he begin to look for love after it?
2) Does Eugene have a realistic view of sex? Does he have a realistic view of love? How do his views change over the course of the play?
3) How do the soldiers view sex? How do their views differ? How do their views of sex influence their views of women and love?
This section contains 412 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)