|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Does Carney understand Eugene's point of view after Eugene explains what he wrote?
2. What does Eugene need to do while he dances?
3. What is the status of Toomey's army career?
4. How long a jail sentence did Hennessey get?
5. How soon does Daisy have to be back?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss confrontation in the play.
1) Epstein isn't afraid to confront the other characters, while Eugene tends to be non-confrontational. Why do the two characters take these different attitudes? What are the dangers and benefits of Epstein and Eugene's attitudes toward confrontation?
2) Which of the soldiers are willing to be confrontational toward Toomey, in what circumstances, and why? What does this say about the soldiers?
3) How does being confrontational personally relate to one's ability to be a soldier in the play?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss humor in the play.
1) How do the characters use humor in their interactions? How do they use humor as insults? How does humor form part of their friendship?
2) In what ways does the author use humor in the play? How does the author combine serious issues such as prejudice and war with humor?
Essay Topic 3
Boot camp takes young men who are adapted to civilian life and attempts to adapt them for life in a war. Discuss this aspect of the characters' time in boot camp.
1) What makes a person a good soldier in the play? How good or bad are the same personality traits in civilian society? Which of the soldiers are well adapted to being in a war?
2) Which of the characters are best adapted for civilian life, and why? How well-suited are their characteristics in war?
3) Do the characters learn strategies for adapting their civilian behaviors to becoming soldiers? In what ways?
This section contains 360 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)