|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where is the U.S.O. dance located?
2. How soon does Daisy have to be back?
3. How does Eugene's notebook say that Selridge eats?
4. What is Daisy's response to Eugene's declaration?
5. What does Eugene say happened to his locker key?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
An "other" is someone who is different and becomes outcast. Discuss being different and the concept of the "other" in the play.
1) In what ways are each of the characters different and therefore outcast from the others? Which are outcasts in the culture of the army?
2) How do the characters react to the things that make other characters different? Do any of the characters relate their own status as "others" with ways in which others are also outcasts?
3) How does the idea of an outcast "other" relate to war? Who becomes the "other" during wartime, and how do the soldiers think and talk about this during the play?
Essay Topic 2
The play BILOXI BLUES is about soldiers during wartime, but little is actually seen of the war. Discuss the role of war in the novel.
1) Why does the play show Eugene's experience before shipping overseas, and then end with his retelling of events during the war, but not show the war itself?
2) How real does the war seem to the soldiers in boot camp?
3) What affect does the existence of the war, which the soldiers will soon have to become a part of, have on their decisions and attitudes?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the role of fantasy in the novel.
1) What are the different soldiers' fantasies, and what do those fantasies say about their characters? Can their fantasies be separated into different categories?
2) What is Toomey's fantasy, and why? Is Toomey's fantasy different from the soldiers' fantasies, and what does it say about Toomey as a character?
3) What role does having fantasies play in the characters' lives? Why do the characters want to discuss and bet on their fantasies?
This section contains 1,914 words
(approx. 7 pages at 300 words per page)