|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where was Wykowski wounded?
2. How close does Eugene feel from being a writer?
3. Where is Daisy from?
4. What is one of the interests Eugene and Daisy talk about?
5. Two years later, where is Eugene headed?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
BILOXI BLUES is a story of soldiers in boot camp, and so it is a primarily male story. However, there are two significant female characters, and women play an important role in the soldiers' lives. Discuss the play's portrayal of women.
1) Compare Rowena to Daisy. What aspects of womanhood do they represent?
2) Why does Eugene fall for Daisy? What characteristics does he admire in her?
3) Are the portrayals of women in the play realistic? Are the women well-developed characters? How do the soldiers view women?
Essay Topic 2
Toomey's method of teaching the soldiers is one of cruelty and punishment. Discuss this methodology and its portrayal in the play.
1) Why does Toomey use cruel methods to train the soldiers? What does his method have to do with his experiences in the war? What is Toomey trying to accomplish?
2) How do Toomey's methods forge and change the relationships between the soldiers?
3) What kind of relationship does Toomey develop with the soldiers? Why do they miss him after he's gone?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the culture of the army in the play.
1) What does the army expect from its soldiers? What type of discipline, regulations, and values does the army promote?
2) Why is army food bad, and why are the soldiers required to eat all of their food?
3) The army brings together many different men from different cultures. How does the diversity of soldiers contribute to the culture of the army? Does it cause conflict? Does it have any benefits?
This section contains 1,863 words
(approx. 7 pages at 300 words per page)