|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Selridge's new job at the end of the play?
2. Where does Act 2, Scene 4 take place?
3. Why does Daisy resist Eugene's advance on her?
4. What does Daisy do after Eugene refuses to dance?
5. Who objects to reading Eugene's personal papers?
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the role of religion in the play.
1) How seriously do the characters take their religions? What influences do the characters' religions have on them?
2) How is Daisy affected by Catholicism and by going to a Catholic school? How does her religious background affect her relationship with Eugene?
3) Are the soldiers' perceptions of Jewish people based in religion, or do they have a different basis?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the play as a coming-of-age story.
1) How does Eugene mature during the course of the play? What knowledge, experience, and understanding about the world does he gain?
2) In what ways is boot camp a rite of passage that serves as a transition from childhood to adulthood?
3) How is Eugene's visit to the prostitute a rite of passage? What other rites of passage are there in the play?
Essay Topic 3
The play BILOXI BLUES is about soldiers during wartime, but little is actually seen of the war. Discuss the role of war in the novel.
1) Why does the play show Eugene's experience before shipping overseas, and then end with his retelling of events during the war, but not show the war itself?
2) How real does the war seem to the soldiers in boot camp?
3) What affect does the existence of the war, which the soldiers will soon have to become a part of, have on their decisions and attitudes?
This section contains 1,905 words
(approx. 7 pages at 300 words per page)