|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Eugene say he comes to dances?
2. What fantasy does Toomey have?
3. What does Carney say about Eugene in reaction to Eugene's writings?
4. What are Wykowski and Selridge arguing about at the beginning of Act 2, Scene 9?
5. How does Eugene's notebook say that Selridge eats?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The play BILOXI BLUES is about soldiers during wartime, but little is actually seen of the war. Discuss the role of war in the novel.
1) Why does the play show Eugene's experience before shipping overseas, and then end with his retelling of events during the war, but not show the war itself?
2) How real does the war seem to the soldiers in boot camp?
3) What affect does the existence of the war, which the soldiers will soon have to become a part of, have on their decisions and attitudes?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss homosexuality in the play.
1) How do the soldiers view homosexuality, and why? Why do they use homosexuality as an insult?
2) Why does Eugene suspect Epstein is gay, and why does this make him reluctant to become close to Epstein? Why are the other soldiers quick to think that Eugene might be right?
3) Does Hennessey's experience as a homosexual man in the army change how he reacts to the other soldiers and instances of bigotry? What is the army's reaction to homosexuality, and why?
Essay Topic 3
Eugene grows from a boy into a man during the course of the play. How does the play define the quality of manhood?
1) What does it mean to be a man for Eugene? What is required of a man that's not required of a boy?
2) How does sex relate to manhood in the play? How does war relate to manhood in the play?
3) How do men in the play relate to each other? Do boys relate to each other differently than men?
This section contains 396 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)