|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Eugene say he comes to dances?
2. What punishment does Epstein give Toomey?
3. What happened to Daisy?
4. What are Wykowski and Selridge arguing about at the beginning of Act 2, Scene 9?
5. What causes Eugene to think that Private Lindstrom must have talked?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Eugene grows from a boy into a man during the course of the play. How does the play define the quality of manhood?
1) What does it mean to be a man for Eugene? What is required of a man that's not required of a boy?
2) How does sex relate to manhood in the play? How does war relate to manhood in the play?
3) How do men in the play relate to each other? Do boys relate to each other differently than men?
Essay Topic 2
The soldiers all have different dreams and goals. Discuss the role of dreams and goals in the play.
1) Eugene achieves three goals during the play. Discuss these goals and their importance, and what they say about his character.
2) Carney's dream is to become a singer. What does this dream say about him? Why doesn't Carney achieve his goal?
3) Do Wykowski and Selridge have goals and dreams for themselves? What does their lack of concrete dreams say about them as characters? How does it change their lives?
Essay Topic 3
An "other" is someone who is different and becomes outcast. Discuss being different and the concept of the "other" in the play.
1) In what ways are each of the characters different and therefore outcast from the others? Which are outcasts in the culture of the army?
2) How do the characters react to the things that make other characters different? Do any of the characters relate their own status as "others" with ways in which others are also outcasts?
3) How does the idea of an outcast "other" relate to war? Who becomes the "other" during wartime, and how do the soldiers think and talk about this during the play?
This section contains 420 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)