|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Epstein tell Eugene to leave out of his writing?
2. Why is Eugene upset?
3. What does Daisy say she can't do with Eugene?
4. Where does Act 2, Scene 4 take place?
5. What type of school does Daisy go to?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss humor in the play.
1) How do the characters use humor in their interactions? How do they use humor as insults? How does humor form part of their friendship?
2) In what ways does the author use humor in the play? How does the author combine serious issues such as prejudice and war with humor?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss homosexuality in the play.
1) How do the soldiers view homosexuality, and why? Why do they use homosexuality as an insult?
2) Why does Eugene suspect Epstein is gay, and why does this make him reluctant to become close to Epstein? Why are the other soldiers quick to think that Eugene might be right?
3) Does Hennessey's experience as a homosexual man in the army change how he reacts to the other soldiers and instances of bigotry? What is the army's reaction to homosexuality, and why?
Essay Topic 3
A major structural feature of the play is the soliloquies delivered by Eugene. Discuss the use of soliloquies in the play.
1) Why does the author include soliloquies that give the audience insight into Eugene's thoughts? Why does the author use Eugene's notebooks as the source of these soliloquies?
2) How would the play be different if Eugene did not talk to the audience? How would it shift the focus of the play?
3) What does the audience learn about Eugene from his actions alone, and how does this differ from what the audience learns from hearing Eugene's thoughts and writings?
This section contains 1,904 words
(approx. 7 pages at 300 words per page)