|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Toomey say that Epstein will do, so that Toomey will win the fantasy game?
2. What is Selridge's new job at the end of the play?
3. What gift does Daisy give Eugene?
4. Who said something similar to what Eugene wrote about Carney?
5. What does Epstein tell Eugene to leave out of his writing?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
BILOXI BLUES is a story of soldiers in boot camp, and so it is a primarily male story. However, there are two significant female characters, and women play an important role in the soldiers' lives. Discuss the play's portrayal of women.
1) Compare Rowena to Daisy. What aspects of womanhood do they represent?
2) Why does Eugene fall for Daisy? What characteristics does he admire in her?
3) Are the portrayals of women in the play realistic? Are the women well-developed characters? How do the soldiers view women?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the role of religion in the play.
1) How seriously do the characters take their religions? What influences do the characters' religions have on them?
2) How is Daisy affected by Catholicism and by going to a Catholic school? How does her religious background affect her relationship with Eugene?
3) Are the soldiers' perceptions of Jewish people based in religion, or do they have a different basis?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the role of fantasy in the novel.
1) What are the different soldiers' fantasies, and what do those fantasies say about their characters? Can their fantasies be separated into different categories?
2) What is Toomey's fantasy, and why? Is Toomey's fantasy different from the soldiers' fantasies, and what does it say about Toomey as a character?
3) What role does having fantasies play in the characters' lives? Why do the characters want to discuss and bet on their fantasies?
This section contains 364 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)