|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Epstein claim he saw?
2. Does the prostitute want Eugene to come out?
3. What is the weather like?
4. What does the prostitute ask Eugene when he comes out from hiding?
5. What does Eugene ask Epstein?
Short Essay Questions
1. How do the other soldiers react when Toomey obeys his punishment?
2. What does Toomey threaten to do to the men unless the thief gives himself up?
3. What does Epstein object to about Toomey's style?
4. Describe how Toomey wakes up the soldiers.
5. What does Daisy have to abstain from because of the religious holiday?
6. What does Toomey do to punish Eugene during the march?
7. What happens when Toomey asks the guilty person to come forward?
8. What does Hennessey's fantasy say about his character?
9. What does Eugene say when Wykowski asks if he means what he wrote?
10. What does Eugene's attitude seem to be after the other soldiers have read his writings?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Eugene grows from a boy into a man during the course of the play. How does the play define the quality of manhood?
1) What does it mean to be a man for Eugene? What is required of a man that's not required of a boy?
2) How does sex relate to manhood in the play? How does war relate to manhood in the play?
3) How do men in the play relate to each other? Do boys relate to each other differently than men?
Essay Topic 2
The play BILOXI BLUES is about soldiers during wartime, but little is actually seen of the war. Discuss the role of war in the novel.
1) Why does the play show Eugene's experience before shipping overseas, and then end with his retelling of events during the war, but not show the war itself?
2) How real does the war seem to the soldiers in boot camp?
3) What affect does the existence of the war, which the soldiers will soon have to become a part of, have on their decisions and attitudes?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss humor in the play.
1) How do the characters use humor in their interactions? How do they use humor as insults? How does humor form part of their friendship?
2) In what ways does the author use humor in the play? How does the author combine serious issues such as prejudice and war with humor?
This section contains 686 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)