|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Toomey say that Epstein will do, so that Toomey will win the fantasy game?
(a) Serve the army overseas.
(b) Remember him during the war.
(c) Obey army regulations.
(d) Live through the war.
2. Who holds Eugene when he tries to get the notebook back?
3. What fantasy does Toomey have?
(a) Sending all his soldiers home.
(b) Punishing Epstein permanently.
(c) Turning a rookie into a soldier.
(d) Sending his soldiers into hell.
4. Who does Toomey say Epstein must report to his army superiors?
5. Where is the U.S.O. dance located?
(a) In the barracks.
(b) In the town hall.
(c) In a church basement.
(d) In the mess hall.
6. What causes Eugene to think that Private Lindstrom must have talked?
(a) The officers start gathering across the camp.
(b) There is a PA announcement.
(c) An alarm rings.
(d) The phone rings.
7. What does Daisy do after Eugene refuses to dance?
(a) She begins to walk away.
(b) She laughs at him.
(c) She gives up trying to get him to dance.
(d) She starts to cry.
8. What did Eugene write about Selridge?
(a) That he has dreams about getting killed.
(b) That he yells at his father in his sleep.
(c) That he murmurs and cries in his sleep.
(d) That he calls for his mother in his sleep.
9. What evidence does Wykowski cite to accuse Epstein of being the escaped soldier?
(a) Epstein's rumpled sheets.
(b) Eugene's journal.
(c) Epstein's bootprints.
(d) Epstein's disarrayed locker.
10. Why does Eugene say Carney can't be counted on?
(a) Eugene says Carny is self-destructive.
(b) Eugene says Carney is selfish.
(c) Eugene says Carney is unlucky.
(d) Eugene says Carney is indecisive.
11. Why does Eugene say that his moment with Daisy is important?
(a) Because soon they will be grown up.
(b) Because the war will change their world.
(c) Because they are in love for the first time.
(d) Because each moment is important.
12. What does Toomey ask Epstein?
(a) Whether he hates the other men.
(b) Whether he hates himself.
(c) Whether he hates the army.
(d) Whether he hates Toomey.
13. What gift does Daisy give Eugene?
(a) A new journal.
(b) A silver pen.
(c) A Bible.
(d) A photo of her.
14. What punishment does Epstein give Toomey?
(a) Reciting his wrongs before the platoon.
(b) Being laughed at by the soldiers.
(c) Walking through camp in his underwear.
(d) Two hundred push-ups.
15. What is one of the interests Eugene and Daisy talk about?
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Eugene tell Carney?
2. Who said something similar to what Eugene wrote about Carney?
3. What does Carney say about Eugene in reaction to Eugene's writings?
4. What does Epstein refuse to do, after Toomey has threatened him?
5. What does Epstein tell Eugene to leave out of his writing?
This section contains 513 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)