|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Epstein tell Eugene to leave out of his writing?
(a) Unnecessary, fancy words.
(b) The truth.
(c) Long, convoluted sentences.
(d) Petty details.
2. Two years later, where is Eugene headed?
(b) New Jersey.
(d) New York.
3. What is Eugene's new watchword?
4. What does Toomey ask Epstein?
(a) Whether he hates the army.
(b) Whether he hates Toomey.
(c) Whether he hates himself.
(d) Whether he hates the other men.
5. What causes Eugene to think that Private Lindstrom must have talked?
(a) The officers start gathering across the camp.
(b) The phone rings.
(c) There is a PA announcement.
(d) An alarm rings.
6. Who does Eugene's notebook say is the best soldier in the platoon?
7. What does Daisy say she can't do with Eugene?
(a) Have lunch.
(b) Go to the park.
(c) Take a walk.
(d) Go to a movie.
8. Why does Daisy resist Eugene's advance on her?
(a) Because she's not sure how she feels.
(b) Because it's a religious holiday.
(c) Because she doesn't like him.
(d) Because a nun is watching.
9. What is Selridge's new job at the end of the play?
(a) A sergeant training recruits.
(b) A general's driver.
(c) An army cook.
(d) A sergeant in charge of the motor pool.
10. What does Eugene say when Daisy asks him to dance?
(a) He says dancing makes him sad.
(b) He says he never dances.
(c) He says he's hurt his foot.
(d) He says they should wait for a slow song.
11. What does Epstein refuse to do, after Toomey has threatened him?
(a) File charges against Toomey.
(b) Give up the army.
(c) Do push-ups for Toomey.
(d) Talk to Toomey.
12. What happened to Epstein?
(a) He went AWOL and was arrested.
(b) He was killed by enemy fire.
(c) He was killed by friendly fire.
(d) He is missing in action.
13. At the beginning of Act 2, Scene 3, who is reading Eugene's notebook?
14. Where does Eugene leave go the end of the scene?
(a) Into the barracks.
(b) Off of the base.
(c) Into the mess tent.
(d) Into the latrine.
15. Does Carney understand Eugene's point of view after Eugene explains what he wrote?
(a) No, but he doesn't care anymore about what Eugene wrote.
(b) Yes, but he is still hurt.
(c) Yes, and he doesn't mind what Eugene wrote at all.
(d) No, he hates Eugene for what he wrote.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Eugene tell Daisy?
2. What does Toomey say that Epstein will do, so that Toomey will win the fantasy game?
3. What did Eugene write about Selridge?
4. How close does Eugene feel from being a writer?
5. What are Wykowski and Selridge arguing about at the beginning of Act 2, Scene 9?
This section contains 511 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)