|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Toomey say is necessary for victory?
2. What does Eugene tell the other soldiers about Rowena?
(a) That she is nothing special.
(b) That she is a real person.
(c) That she isn't worth going back to again.
(d) That she is a woman he could love.
3. What is Eugene doing at the beginning of the scene?
4. Who holds Eugene when he tries to get the notebook back?
5. What does Toomey do to get Epstein to take a drink?
(a) Toomey takes Epstein by the throat.
(b) Toomey threatens to punish the other men.
(c) Toomey points a gun at Epstein.
(d) Toomey threatens to courtmartial Epstein.
6. What punishment does Epstein give Toomey?
(a) Two hundred push-ups.
(b) Reciting his wrongs before the platoon.
(c) Walking through camp in his underwear.
(d) Being laughed at by the soldiers.
7. What does Eugene's notebook say about Carney?
(a) Eugene cannot stand Carney and secretly plays tricks on him.
(b) Eugene dislikes him but hides it.
(c) Eugene trusts Carney more than any of the others.
(d) Eugene likes him but can't depend on him in a tough situation.
8. What does Epstein threaten to do to Wykowski?
(a) Become his sergeant and get him killed.
(b) Become a priest and excommunicate him.
(c) Become an immigration officer and ship him back to Polland.
(d) Get promoted and courtmartial him.
9. How does Eugene feel about Daisy?
(a) He is afraid of her.
(b) He feels he could fall in love with her.
(c) He thinks she would be good for Epstein.
(d) He doesn't want to see her again.
10. What did Eugene write about Selridge?
(a) That he has dreams about getting killed.
(b) That he murmurs and cries in his sleep.
(c) That he calls for his mother in his sleep.
(d) That he yells at his father in his sleep.
11. Where does Act 2, Scene 8 take place?
(a) In the base mess hall.
(b) Outside Daisy's school.
(c) At another dance.
(d) In a school auditorium.
12. How does Rowena react when Eugene visits her again?
(a) She tells him never to come again.
(b) She doesn't remember him.
(c) She tells him to come back another time.
(d) She welcomes him back gladly.
13. What does Epstein tell Eugene to leave out of his writing?
(a) The truth.
(b) Long, convoluted sentences.
(c) Unnecessary, fancy words.
(d) Petty details.
14. Why does Eugene say he comes to dances?
(a) To find someone to talk to.
(b) To find someone to have fun with.
(c) To find a girlfriend.
(d) To find someone to marry.
15. Where does Act 2, Scene 4 take place?
(a) Behind the mess hall.
(b) Inside the latrine.
(c) On a trail through the swamp.
(d) On the steps outside the barracks.
Short Answer Questions
1. What job did Eugene get in the army?
2. What does Toomey ask Epstein?
3. How does Eugene feel about not going into combat?
4. What is Selridge's new job at the end of the play?
5. Why does Eugene say that his moment with Daisy is important?
This section contains 559 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)