|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Eugene feel about not going into combat?
(b) Very relieved.
(d) Somewhat guilty.
2. What does Daisy resist Eugene doing?
(a) Dancing with her.
(b) Holding her hand.
(c) Hugging her.
(d) Kissing her.
3. What type of school does Daisy go to?
(a) An expensive private finishing school.
(b) An all-girls Catholic school.
(c) An all-girls public school.
(d) A state university.
4. Who does Eugene's notebook say is the best soldier in the platoon?
5. What does Toomey ask Epstein?
(a) Whether he hates the other men.
(b) Whether he hates the army.
(c) Whether he hates himself.
(d) Whether he hates Toomey.
6. What does Eugene's notebook say about Carney?
(a) Eugene cannot stand Carney and secretly plays tricks on him.
(b) Eugene trusts Carney more than any of the others.
(c) Eugene likes him but can't depend on him in a tough situation.
(d) Eugene dislikes him but hides it.
7. Where is Daisy from?
(a) Mathiston, Mississippi.
(b) Gulfport, Mississippi.
(c) Decatur, Mississippi.
(d) Crowder, Mississippi.
8. What does Daisy say she can't do with Eugene?
(a) Have lunch.
(b) Take a walk.
(c) Go to a movie.
(d) Go to the park.
9. What does Toomey tell Epstein to take from him?
(a) Toomey's clipboard.
(b) Toomey's decorations.
(c) Toomey's sword.
(d) Toomey's gun.
10. What lesson does Eugene say he's learned?
(a) People believe what they want to believe.
(b) People believe what they read.
(c) People believe the worst of each other.
(d) What people believe becomes true.
11. What religious holiday is it?
(a) Ash Wednesday.
(b) Good Friday.
12. How does Rowena react when Eugene visits her again?
(a) She tells him never to come again.
(b) She welcomes him back gladly.
(c) She doesn't remember him.
(d) She tells him to come back another time.
13. What punishment does Epstein give Toomey?
(a) Being laughed at by the soldiers.
(b) Reciting his wrongs before the platoon.
(c) Walking through camp in his underwear.
(d) Two hundred push-ups.
14. What is Eugene doing at the beginning of the scene?
15. What does Eugene tell the other soldiers about Rowena?
(a) That she is a real person.
(b) That she is a woman he could love.
(c) That she is nothing special.
(d) That she isn't worth going back to again.
Short Answer Questions
1. What fantasy does Toomey have?
2. What is Eugene's new watchword?
3. How does Eugene feel about Daisy?
4. Two years later, where is Eugene headed?
5. Who holds Eugene when he tries to get the notebook back?
This section contains 438 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)