Act 1, Scene 1
* Arnold Epstein, Joseph Wykowski, Roy Selridge, Donald Carney, and Eugene Morris Jerome ride the train to boot camp, bickering whenever they wake.
* Eugene addresses the audience, complaining about the trip and outlining the characters and backgrounds of his fellow soldiers.
* Eugene outlines his three goals for the war: becoming a writer, not getting killed, and losing his virginity.
Act 1, Scene 2
* The soldiers arrive in Biloxi, Mississippi, and immediately run into conflicts with their controlling and unreasonable drill sergeant, Sergeant Toomey, who came back from North Africa with a steel plate in his head.
* Toomey won't let Epstein, who has a bad stomach, go to the bathroom.
* Toomey punishes Eugene by making the other soldiers do push-ups when Eugene gives answers he doesn't like, so that the soldiers will punish each other.
Act 1, Scene 3
* The mess-hall food is inedible, but Private James Hennessey has been on KP...
This section contains 719 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)