|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where is Billy confined in chapter 24?
2. In what publication does the account of Billy Budd's life and death appear?
3. When does the legacy of Billy Budd's death begin to grow?
4. In chapter 18, which character reports suspicious behavior of a sailor to Captain Vere?
5. What statement does the narrator make about men on shore in relation to their distrusting spirits?
Essay Topic 1
Compare and contrast Captain Vere, Captain Bligh and Admiral Nelson. How does each man's command style affect his crew? How does each man's personality affect his relationship with his crew, and how does that relationship affect the morale of the crew?
Essay Topic 2
What role does the fear of mutiny play in the novel? How does the fear of mutiny affect discipline on board 18th century British ships? Describe two forms of discipline utilized on board ships in the 18th century and indicate the strengths and weaknesses of each form of discipline.
Essay Topic 3
What is Billy's Achilles' heel and how does it affect his character? Does Billy's Achilles' heel negate his standing as the "Handsome Sailor" of the Bellipotent? Why or why not? If Billy's is the "Handsome Sailor" of the Bellipotent, how does his Achilles' heel affect the other characters?
This section contains 1,038 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)