|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where is John Claggart buried?
2. In chapter 20, what does the surgeon want to do?
3. Why does the Captain feel that Billy must be punished?
4. After the meeting with the mysterious man, what happens to the dirty tricks that are being played on Billy Budd?
5. When does the legacy of Billy Budd's death begin to grow?
Essay Topic 1
According to Melville, why are sailors more trusting than men who live on land? How does age and training relate to the trust Melville claims sailors exhibit? Why does Billy have a greater sense of trust than Claggart since both are sailors?
Essay Topic 2
After Billy Budd's death, two characters, known as the purser and the surgeon, discuss Billy's life and the significance of his death. Describe the two points of view that the men had, and explain what these two opinions symbolize to the reading audience as a whole.
Essay Topic 3
What role does the fear of mutiny play in the novel? How does the fear of mutiny affect discipline on board 18th century British ships? Describe two forms of discipline utilized on board ships in the 18th century and indicate the strengths and weaknesses of each form of discipline.
This section contains 1,037 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)