|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who prepares Billy's body for burial?
2. In the article about the Bellipotent, how is Billy Budd presented?
3. Which other characters has odd weather changes occur during his death?
4. What is one explanation given for the odd nature of Billy's death?
5. What sentence does the court render in chapter 23?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why isn't the chaplain worried about Billy's impending judgment?
2. How are the events that occur on the Bellipotent distorted on land?
3. Describe Claggart's funeral.
4. Why does Captain Vere insist that the drumhead court render judgment according to the Mutiny Act?
5. What is ironic about Billy's impending trial?
6. How does Melville compare the politics that surround Billy's case with Jesus' trial?
7. What accusation does Claggart bring against Billy?
8. Why does Billy refuse to believe that Claggart is orchestrating the events that are plaguing him?
9. Describe Billy's funeral.
10. What explanations are given for the odd nature of Billy's death?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the role violence plays in the novel. When does violence appear to be justified? When does violence appear to be immoral? How does violence, whether justified or immoral, affect the characters in the novel?
Essay Topic 2
According to Melville, why are sailors more trusting than men who live on land? How does age and training relate to the trust Melville claims sailors exhibit? Why does Billy have a greater sense of trust than Claggart since both are sailors?
Essay Topic 3
What is Billy's Achilles' heel and how does it affect his character? Does Billy's Achilles' heel negate his standing as the "Handsome Sailor" of the Bellipotent? Why or why not? If Billy's is the "Handsome Sailor" of the Bellipotent, how does his Achilles' heel affect the other characters?
This section contains 1,305 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)