|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of the ship that the Bellipotent finds itself at battle with?
2. How does Captain Vere die?
3. Why does the narrator state that sailors are less likely to distrust each other?
4. Which character writes the ballad of Billy Budd?
5. What does the final rendition of Billy Budd's life and death, as accepted by the naval authorities, state about Billy Budd's heritage?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
There are three main captains that are present in the novel: Captain Graveling, Admiral Nelson,and Captain Vere. Compare and contrast the leadership styles of these three men, and explain how they were used to promote Melville's opinions about warfare.
Essay Topic 2
Compare and contrast Captain Vere, Captain Bligh and Admiral Nelson. How does each man's command style affect his crew? How does each man's personality affect his relationship with his crew, and how does that relationship affect the morale of the crew?
Essay Topic 3
How does Melville demonstrate the contrast between good and evil? Which characters and actions are used to represent good and evil? How is the war between good and evil represented in the novel? What affect does this war have on the characters?
This section contains 1,034 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)