|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Billy die?
2. Which character becomes very friendly towards Billy in chapter 17?
3. Which other characters has odd weather changes occur during his death?
4. Where is John Claggart buried?
5. Where is Billy buried?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Billy react to Claggart's accusation?
2. What religious event compares to Billy's funeral?
3. How does Melville explain the trusting nature of most sailors?
4. How does Captain Vere explain Billy's execution to the crew?
5. How does Melville compare Billy's death to Jesus' crucifixion?
6. How does Claggart's expression begin to betray his feelings in chapter 17?
7. Describe Claggart's funeral.
8. What is unusual about Billy's death?
9. Why are the events on the Bellipotent distorted in the naval chronicle?
10. Why does Billy cry out "God bless Captain Vere!" moments before his execution?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What is a "cat's paw" and which characters represent this analogy? Why does Claggart choose to use a "cat's paw" instead of dealing with Billy himself? How does the use of the "cat's paw" backfire on Claggart?
Essay Topic 2
What role does fate play in the novel? Which characters accept their proposed fates and which characters appear to struggle against fate? How does fate affect justice?
Essay Topic 3
Provide a brief description of the following literary elements the novel: Introduction, rising action, climax, falling action and denouement (resolution). How does emotion affect the progression of each element?
This section contains 1,043 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)