Final Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In chapter 18, which character does the captain consider promoting?
2. What changes about the way that the rest of the men treat Billy Budd?
3. Why does Billy hesitate when asked about his knowledge of a potential insurrection?
4. What interesting thing does the Bellipotent see approaching them on the water in Chapter 18?
5. What is unusual about Billy's death?
Essay Topic 1
How is sarcasm used in the novel? Compare the use of sarcasm with deception. How does Billy's innocence contrast with Claggart's sarcasm? How does it affect his perception of the sarcasm? What did Claggart really mean when he said, "Handsomely done, my lad! And handsome is as handsome did it, too!"
Essay Topic 2
The narrator makes many statements about the way that sailors are taught to think as a group, and not as individuals. Explain the ways that the sailors aboard this ship exemplified the narrator's descriptions, and contrast that with the ways that Billy Budd fought against it.
Essay Topic 3
How does Melville demonstrate the contrast between good and evil? Which characters and actions are used to represent good and evil? How is the war between good and evil represented in the novel? What affect does this war have on the characters?
This section contains 300 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)