Final Test - Hard
|Name: _____________________________||Period: ___________________________|
This quiz consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In chapter 18, which character does the captain consider promoting?
2. What changes about the way that the rest of the men treat Billy Budd?
3. Why does Billy hesitate when asked about his knowledge of a potential insurrection?
4. What interesting thing does the Bellipotent see approaching them on the water in Chapter 18?
5. What is unusual about Billy's death?
Compare and contrast Captain Vere, Captain Bligh and Admiral Nelson. How does each man's command style affect his crew? How does each man's personality affect his relationship with his crew, and how does that relationship affect the morale of the crew?
Discuss the difference between reporting illicit activities and tattling. Which factors prevent Billy from reporting the afterguardsman to the captain? What effect does not reporting the incident have on Billy's character? How might the outcome of the novel be different if Billy had chosen to report the afterguardsman to his superiors?
There are three main captains that are present in the novel: Captain Graveling, Admiral Nelson,and Captain Vere. Compare and contrast the leadership styles of these three men, and explain how they were used to promote Melville's opinions about warfare.
This section contains 287 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)