Final Test - Hard
|Name: _____________________________||Period: ___________________________|
This quiz consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In chapter 18, which character does the captain consider promoting?
2. What changes about the way that the rest of the men treat Billy Budd?
3. Why does Billy hesitate when asked about his knowledge of a potential insurrection?
4. What interesting thing does the Bellipotent see approaching them on the water in Chapter 18?
5. What is unusual about Billy's death?
The reasons behind Claggart's hatred toward Billy are hinted at in the novel, but never explained. Choose two reasons that the novel hints at for Claggart's hatred, and then either agree or disagree with them, using examples from the text to support your argument.
After Billy Budd's death, two characters, known as the purser and the surgeon, discuss Billy's life and the significance of his death. Describe the two points of view that the men had, and explain what these two opinions symbolize to the reading audience as a whole.
How does emotional repression affect the development of emotion among the sailors on the Bellipotent? How does Claggart's repression of feelings magnify his anger? What is the consequence of his repression? How does Billy's repression of his feelings magnify his sense of confusion? What is the consequence of his repression?
This section contains 295 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)