|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In chapter 18, which character does the captain consider promoting?
2. What changes about the way that the rest of the men treat Billy Budd?
3. Why does Billy hesitate when asked about his knowledge of a potential insurrection?
4. What interesting thing does the Bellipotent see approaching them on the water in Chapter 18?
5. What is unusual about Billy's death?
Essay Topic 1
The reasons behind Claggart's hatred toward Billy are hinted at in the novel, but never explained. Choose two reasons that the novel hints at for Claggart's hatred, and then either agree or disagree with them, using examples from the text to support your argument.
Essay Topic 2
Claggart has been out to get Billy Budd from the opening of the novel.
Part 1. Give three examples of times that Claggart went out of his way to torment Billy.
Part 2. Explain why you think Claggart was so hateful toward Billy.
Part 3. Discuss Billy's reaction to Claggart's attack. Why is Billy considered the hero of the story?
Essay Topic 3
How is sarcasm used in the novel? Compare the use of sarcasm with deception. How does Billy's innocence contrast with Claggart's sarcasm? How does it affect his perception of the sarcasm? What did Claggart really mean when he said, "Handsomely done, my lad! And handsome is as handsome did it, too!"
This section contains 1,042 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)