Final Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In chapter 18, which character does the captain consider promoting?
2. What changes about the way that the rest of the men treat Billy Budd?
3. Why does Billy hesitate when asked about his knowledge of a potential insurrection?
4. What interesting thing does the Bellipotent see approaching them on the water in Chapter 18?
5. What is unusual about Billy's death?
Essay Topic 1
There are three main captains that are present in the novel: Captain Graveling, Admiral Nelson,and Captain Vere. Compare and contrast the leadership styles of these three men, and explain how they were used to promote Melville's opinions about warfare.
Essay Topic 2
Describe the qualities of the quintessential "Handsome Sailor". How does the "Handsome Sailor" affect the attitudes and actions of the crew of the Bellipotent? What risks are associated with being the "Handsome Sailor"?
Essay Topic 3
What role does the Dansker play in the novel? How does Billy view the Dansker? How does the Dansker view Billy? Why does Dansker feel the need to clarify the events around Billy without offering advice on how to cope with those events?
This section contains 277 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)