Final Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In chapter 18, which character does the captain consider promoting?
2. What changes about the way that the rest of the men treat Billy Budd?
3. Why does Billy hesitate when asked about his knowledge of a potential insurrection?
4. What interesting thing does the Bellipotent see approaching them on the water in Chapter 18?
5. What is unusual about Billy's death?
Essay Topic 1
How does literature affect Captain Vere's character? How does the genre of Captain Vere's literary preference affect his relationship with his officers and crew? How do the ideals presented in Captain Vere's favored literature affect his command style and decision making process?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the difference between reporting illicit activities and tattling. Which factors prevent Billy from reporting the afterguardsman to the captain? What effect does not reporting the incident have on Billy's character? How might the outcome of the novel be different if Billy had chosen to report the afterguardsman to his superiors?
Essay Topic 3
The three main ships in the novel have very distinct names. Generate a list of the major ships, and explain what you think their names symbolize in the novel.
This section contains 283 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)