|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In chapter two, how does Billy react to his new shipmates?
2. Who is Billy Budd?
3. How does the sailor Billy threatened in chapter 14 react to Billy in chapter 15?
4. Who is Red Whiskers?
5. What does Billy never do before?
Short Essay Questions
1. Which one of the seven deadly sins drives Claggart to destroy Billy?
2. How do ruling bodies on board a ship compare to ruling bodies on land?
3. What advice does the Dansker give Billy about his confrontation with the afterguardsman?
4. Who is Starry Vere?
5. How does the social climate on board a ship compare to the social climate on land?
6. How does Billy's innocence affect his ability to react to the afterguardsman's proposal?
7. What is Captain Vere's favorite hobby?
8. Who is the afterguardsman?
9. What is a mutiny?
10. What is Billy's one flaw?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How does literature affect Captain Vere's character? How does the genre of Captain Vere's literary preference affect his relationship with his officers and crew? How do the ideals presented in Captain Vere's favored literature affect his command style and decision making process?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the role violence plays in the novel. When does violence appear to be justified? When does violence appear to be immoral? How does violence, whether justified or immoral, affect the characters in the novel?
Essay Topic 3
What role does the Dansker play in the novel? How does Billy view the Dansker? How does the Dansker view Billy? Why does Dansker feel the need to clarify the events around Billy without offering advice on how to cope with those events?
This section contains 1,035 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)