|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is a mutiny?
2. Who is Billy Budd?
3. Which country is described as ruling the seas?
4. How does Admiral Nelson keep his sailors under control?
5. What often causes a mutiny?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the scourging affect Billy?
2. Describe Admiral Nelson.
3. What is Captain Vere's favorite hobby?
4. What changes the face of naval warfare in the 18th century?
5. Who is the Dansker and how does he help Billy?
6. What is Billy's one flaw?
7. Describe John Claggart.
8. What is a "Handsome Sailor"?
9. How does Billy's threat of physical force when confronted by the afterguardsman foreshadow his downfall?
10. Who is Starry Vere?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What role does fate play in the novel? Which characters accept their proposed fates and which characters appear to struggle against fate? How does fate affect justice?
Essay Topic 2
What role does the Dansker play in the novel? How does Billy view the Dansker? How does the Dansker view Billy? Why does Dansker feel the need to clarify the events around Billy without offering advice on how to cope with those events?
Essay Topic 3
How does Melville demonstrate the contrast between good and evil? Which characters and actions are used to represent good and evil? How is the war between good and evil represented in the novel? What affect does this war have on the characters?
This section contains 973 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)