Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _____________________________||Period: ___________________________|
This quiz consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What often causes a mutiny?
2. What affliction plagues Billy when he is nervous?
3. What does Andrew Marvell create that commemorates Captain Vere?
4. In what year does Billy Budd's story take place?
5. What is Billy and Claggart's relationship like before they sail together on the Bellipotent?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Billy Budd witness happening to a young sailor aboard ship that has a significant impact on him?
2. What is unusual about Billy's death?
3. What happens during Captain Vere's final hours?
4. How does Captain Vere explain Billy's execution to the crew?
5. What descriptions are given of the morning as Billy Budd is brought out to face his execution?
6. Why isn't the chaplain worried about Billy's impending judgment?
7. Describe Billy's funeral.
8. Who is revealed as being the tormentor playing dirty tricks on Billy Budd?
9. What is Billy's one flaw?
10. What happens when the Bellipotent notices an enemy ship approaching them on the water?
Claggart has been out to get Billy Budd from the opening of the novel.
Part 1. Give three examples of times that Claggart went out of his way to torment Billy.
Part 2. Explain why you think Claggart was so hateful toward Billy.
Part 3. Discuss Billy's reaction to Claggart's attack. Why is Billy considered the hero of the story?
After Billy Budd's death, two characters, known as the purser and the surgeon, discuss Billy's life and the significance of his death. Describe the two points of view that the men had, and explain what these two opinions symbolize to the reading audience as a whole.
Discuss the difference between reporting illicit activities and tattling. Which factors prevent Billy from reporting the afterguardsman to the captain? What effect does not reporting the incident have on Billy's character? How might the outcome of the novel be different if Billy had chosen to report the afterguardsman to his superiors?
This section contains 926 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)