|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is a mutiny?
2. What does the sailor in chapter 14 want Billy to join?
3. How is John Claggart's appearance described in chapter eight?
4. What other name is a reference to Captain Vere?
5. What does Andrew Marvell create that commemorates Captain Vere?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Melville explain moral depravity?
2. What is a "Handsome Sailor"?
3. Describe Billy Budd.
4. What is a mutiny?
5. What is Billy's one flaw?
6. Why is Claggart "down" on Billy?
7. Describe John Claggart.
8. Which one of the seven deadly sins drives Claggart to destroy Billy?
9. What is the first recorded mutiny in the British navy?
10. How does deception destroy both Claggart and Billy?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
According to Melville, why are sailors more trusting than men who live on land? How does age and training relate to the trust Melville claims sailors exhibit? Why does Billy have a greater sense of trust than Claggart since both are sailors?
Essay Topic 2
What role does the fear of mutiny play in the novel? How does the fear of mutiny affect discipline on board 18th century British ships? Describe two forms of discipline utilized on board ships in the 18th century and indicate the strengths and weaknesses of each form of discipline.
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast Captain Vere, Captain Bligh and Admiral Nelson. How does each man's command style affect his crew? How does each man's personality affect his relationship with his crew, and how does that relationship affect the morale of the crew?
This section contains 1,013 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)