|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In chapter 15, what does Billy think he should report to the captain?
2. What does Andrew Marvell create that commemorates Captain Vere?
3. How do the other sailors react to Claggart in chapter 10?
4. What does the sailor in chapter 14 want Billy to join?
5. What is Captain Vere cited for in West Indian waters?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who is Squeak?
2. How do the officers aboard the Bellipotent view Captain Vere?
3. How does the scourging affect Billy?
4. What does Claggart mean when he says, "Handsomely done, my lad! And handsome is as handsome does it, too!" ?
5. Describe Captain Vere.
6. What advice does the Dansker give Billy about his confrontation with the afterguardsman?
7. How does deception destroy both Claggart and Billy?
8. Describe John Claggart.
9. What is the first recorded mutiny in the British navy?
10. What changes the face of naval warfare in the 18th century?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Provide a brief description of the following literary elements the novel: Introduction, rising action, climax, falling action and denouement (resolution). How does emotion affect the progression of each element?
Essay Topic 2
How is sarcasm used in the novel? Compare the use of sarcasm with deception. How does Billy's innocence contrast with Claggart's sarcasm? How does it affect his perception of the sarcasm? What did Claggart really mean when he said, "Handsomely done, my lad! And handsome is as handsome did it, too!"
Essay Topic 3
What role does the Dansker play in the novel? How does Billy view the Dansker? How does the Dansker view Billy? Why does Dansker feel the need to clarify the events around Billy without offering advice on how to cope with those events?
This section contains 1,033 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)