|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Billy and Claggart's relationship like after they begin working together on the Bellipotent?
2. In chapter 14, what does Billy say to the sailor?
3. What is Billy's position on the ship?
4. How does Admiral Nelson keep his sailors under control?
5. Which Captain is involved in the mutiny at Nore?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Captain Vere's favorite hobby?
2. What is Billy's one flaw?
3. Why is Claggart "down" on Billy?
4. How do ruling bodies on board a ship compare to ruling bodies on land?
5. Who is Starry Vere?
6. Who is Squeak?
7. How does Melville explain moral depravity?
8. What is a "Handsome Sailor"?
9. How does Billy's innocence affect his ability to react to the afterguardsman's proposal?
10. How do the officers aboard the Bellipotent view Captain Vere?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Provide a brief description of the following literary elements the novel: Introduction, rising action, climax, falling action and denouement (resolution). How does emotion affect the progression of each element?
Essay Topic 2
What role does the Dansker play in the novel? How does Billy view the Dansker? How does the Dansker view Billy? Why does Dansker feel the need to clarify the events around Billy without offering advice on how to cope with those events?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the difference between reporting illicit activities and tattling. Which factors prevent Billy from reporting the afterguardsman to the captain? What effect does not reporting the incident have on Billy's character? How might the outcome of the novel be different if Billy had chosen to report the afterguardsman to his superiors?
This section contains 1,004 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)