Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _____________________________||Period: ___________________________|
This quiz consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What often causes a mutiny?
2. What affliction plagues Billy when he is nervous?
3. What does Andrew Marvell create that commemorates Captain Vere?
4. In what year does Billy Budd's story take place?
5. What is Billy and Claggart's relationship like before they sail together on the Bellipotent?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Billy Budd witness happening to a young sailor aboard ship that has a significant impact on him?
2. What is unusual about Billy's death?
3. What happens during Captain Vere's final hours?
4. How does Captain Vere explain Billy's execution to the crew?
5. What descriptions are given of the morning as Billy Budd is brought out to face his execution?
6. Why isn't the chaplain worried about Billy's impending judgment?
7. Describe Billy's funeral.
8. Who is revealed as being the tormentor playing dirty tricks on Billy Budd?
9. What is Billy's one flaw?
10. What happens when the Bellipotent notices an enemy ship approaching them on the water?
Claggart has been out to get Billy Budd from the opening of the novel.
Part 1. Give three examples of times that Claggart went out of his way to torment Billy.
Part 2. Explain why you think Claggart was so hateful toward Billy.
Part 3. Discuss Billy's reaction to Claggart's attack. Why is Billy considered the hero of the story?
Claggart is often referred to in the text as being completely evil, working tirelessly to bring into fruition Billy Budd's demise.
Part 1. Describe the characteristics or actions that Claggart is given that support his comparisons to pure evil.
Part 2. Describe the characteristics or actions that Claggart is given that contradict his comparisons to pure evil.
Part 3. Discuss whether or not you believe comparing Claggart to pure evil is a fair, and accurate, comparison.
How does emotional repression affect the development of emotion among the sailors on the Bellipotent? How does Claggart's repression of feelings magnify his anger? What is the consequence of his repression? How does Billy's repression of his feelings magnify his sense of confusion? What is the consequence of his repression?
This section contains 952 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)