Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What often causes a mutiny?
2. What affliction plagues Billy when he is nervous?
3. What does Andrew Marvell create that commemorates Captain Vere?
4. In what year does Billy Budd's story take place?
5. What is Billy and Claggart's relationship like before they sail together on the Bellipotent?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Billy Budd witness happening to a young sailor aboard ship that has a significant impact on him?
2. What is unusual about Billy's death?
3. What happens during Captain Vere's final hours?
4. How does Captain Vere explain Billy's execution to the crew?
5. What descriptions are given of the morning as Billy Budd is brought out to face his execution?
6. Why isn't the chaplain worried about Billy's impending judgment?
7. Describe Billy's funeral.
8. Who is revealed as being the tormentor playing dirty tricks on Billy Budd?
9. What is Billy's one flaw?
10. What happens when the Bellipotent notices an enemy ship approaching them on the water?
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the role violence plays in the novel. When does violence appear to be justified? When does violence appear to be immoral? How does violence, whether justified or immoral, affect the characters in the novel?
Essay Topic 2
It seems quite clear that Herman Melville did a lot of research surrounding naval life when he was constructing the novel "Billy Budd". Generate a list of three elements of the story that Melville would not have been able to construct without ample research, and discuss whether you believe the research and historical elements of the novel were successful.
Essay Topic 3
The three main ships in the novel have very distinct names. Generate a list of the major ships, and explain what you think their names symbolize in the novel.
This section contains 901 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)