|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What often causes a mutiny?
2. What affliction plagues Billy when he is nervous?
3. What does Andrew Marvell create that commemorates Captain Vere?
4. In what year does Billy Budd's story take place?
5. What is Billy and Claggart's relationship like before they sail together on the Bellipotent?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Billy Budd witness happening to a young sailor aboard ship that has a significant impact on him?
2. What is unusual about Billy's death?
3. What happens during Captain Vere's final hours?
4. How does Captain Vere explain Billy's execution to the crew?
5. What descriptions are given of the morning as Billy Budd is brought out to face his execution?
6. Why isn't the chaplain worried about Billy's impending judgment?
7. Describe Billy's funeral.
8. Who is revealed as being the tormentor playing dirty tricks on Billy Budd?
9. What is Billy's one flaw?
10. What happens when the Bellipotent notices an enemy ship approaching them on the water?
Essay Topic 1
Describe the qualities of the quintessential "Handsome Sailor". How does the "Handsome Sailor" affect the attitudes and actions of the crew of the Bellipotent? What risks are associated with being the "Handsome Sailor"?
Essay Topic 2
The conflict of the story begins when Billy accidentally spills his soup on Claggart. Describe the scene, the reaction of the three men involved, and explain how this event became the turning point in Billy Budd's life.
Essay Topic 3
The narrator of the story spends a lot of time giving the reader extensive background. Choose one example of historical background, explain it, and discuss the way that it either created depth in the narrative, or distracted from Billy Budd's story.
This section contains 1,659 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)