|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In the article about the Bellipotent, how is Billy Budd presented?
(a) As a foreigner who is conscripted into the navy.
(b) As a misunderstood sailor.
(c) As a hero who discovers a mutinous plot.
(d) As an honest, hard working victim.
2. Which animals appear at Billy's funeral?
(a) A flock of seagulls.
(b) A pair of albatross.
(c) A school of dolphins.
(d) A school of sharks.
3. Where is John Claggart buried?
(a) The isle of Mann.
(c) At sea.
(d) The coast of Timon.
4. According to Melville, what makes sailors different from non-sailors?
(a) Sailors are more trusting.
(b) Sailors have more freedom.
(c) Sailors are natural liars.
(d) Sailors do not trust others easily.
5. Who visits Billy in chapter 24?
(a) The chaplain.
(b) Red Whiskers.
(c) The Dansker.
(d) Lieutenant Ratcliffe.
Short Answer Questions
1. What time is dogwatch?
2. Which character is the hammock-boy sent to find in chapter 18?
3. What does one of Billy's fellow sailors create as a tribute to his fallen shipmate?
4. To what does Melville attribute the general attitude of most sailors?
5. Why doesn't the surgeon question the captain's orders?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why are the events on the Bellipotent distorted in the naval chronicle?
2. How does Melville compare the politics that surround Billy's case with Jesus' trial?
3. How does Melville compare Billy's death to Jesus' crucifixion?
4. Why does Billy cry out "God bless Captain Vere!" moments before his execution?
5. Why does Captain Vere insist that the drumhead court render judgment according to the Mutiny Act?
6. What is the significance of Captain Vere's last words?
7. Why does Billy refuse to believe that Claggart is orchestrating the events that are plaguing him?
8. How does Claggart's expression begin to betray his feelings in chapter 17?
9. What explanation does Billy give for being called to the captain's cabin in chapter 19?
10. How is Billy like a sacrificial lamb?
This section contains 1,209 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)