|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why doesn't the surgeon question the captain's orders?
(a) He is dim-witted and cannot see any problem.
(b) He has great respect for the captain.
(c) He fears the captain might shoot him.
(d) Disobeying orders is mutiny.
2. Which of the following is NOT a member of the Captain's drumhead court?
(a) The Sailing Master.
(b) The First Lieutenant.
(c) The Captain of Marines.
(d) The head foreman.
3. Where does Captain Vere send Billy after Claggart's death?
(a) To the brig.
(b) To the kitchen.
(c) To a stateroom.
(d) To the crow's nest.
4. In the article about the Bellipotent, how is John Claggart presented?
(a) As an honest, hard working victim.
(b) As a foreigner who is conscripted into the navy.
(c) As a hero who discovers a mutinous plot.
(d) As a misunderstood officer.
5. How is Billy sentenced to be executed?
(a) By being poisoned.
(b) By walking the plank.
(c) By hanging.
(d) By being shot.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following characteristics is NOT used by the narrator to describe the mentality of sailors?
2. To what does Melville attribute the general attitude of most sailors?
3. What appears to end in chapter 17?
4. At what time are the sailors called to hear an announcement?
5. According to the article about the Bellipotent, how is John Claggart murdered?
This section contains 275 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)