|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In chapter 17, how does Claggart react when he and Billy suddenly meet?
(a) He clears his throat and looks down.
(b) His eyes flash and his face reddens.
(c) He moves aside and nods hello.
(d) He does not acknowledge Billy's presence.
2. How does Melville characterize sailors in general?
(a) Lazy and stupid.
(b) Deceptive and vicious.
(c) Irritable and aggressive.
(d) Childlike and trusting.
3. What is "Billy in the Darbies"?
(a) A painting honoring Billy's memory.
(b) A sculpture honoring Billy's memory.
(c) A ballad honoring Billy's memory.
(d) An article on Billy's planned mutiny.
4. Who is a part of the drumhead court in chapter 21?
(a) The first lieutenant, the captain of marines and the master-at-arms.
(b) The first lieutenant, the master-at-arms, and the chief mate.
(c) The chief mate, the master-at-arms, and a boatswain.
(d) The first lieutenant, the captain of marines, and the sailing master.
5. In the article about the Bellipotent, how is John Claggart presented?
(a) As an honest, hard working victim.
(b) As a hero who discovers a mutinous plot.
(c) As a misunderstood officer.
(d) As a foreigner who is conscripted into the navy.
Short Answer Questions
1. What event occurs after Billy's funeral?
2. To what do most of the crew attribute the odd circumstances surrounding Billy's death?
3. How does Claggart die?
4. How does Captain Vere treat Billy in chapter 22?
5. What does Captain Vere tell the surgeon to call?
Short Essay Questions
1. How is Billy like a sacrificial lamb?
2. Why does Captain Vere feel it necessary to deliver the court's verdict to Billy personally?
3. How does Billy react to Claggart's accusation?
4. How do the sailors of the Bellipotent honor Billy's memory?
5. How does Melville compare Billy's death to Jesus' crucifixion?
6. Why does Billy refuse to believe that Claggart is orchestrating the events that are plaguing him?
7. Why doesn't Billy confront the afterguardsman or Claggart about any of the incidents that occurs?
8. How does Captain Vere explain Billy's execution to the crew?
9. Why does Captain Vere insist that the drumhead court render judgment according to the Mutiny Act?
10. What is unusual about Billy's death?
This section contains 1,244 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)