|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the chaplain feel is better than religion for facing judgment?
2. How does Captain Vere appear after he leaves Billy in chapter 22?
(d) Resigned to fate.
3. Which character stares at Billy with a meditative and melancholy expression in chapter 17?
(a) Lieutenant Ratcliffe.
(b) The Dansker.
(c) John Claggart.
(d) The afterguardsman.
4. Which two groups of people does Melville compare in chapter 16?
(a) Men and Women.
(b) Sailors and Landsmen.
(c) Officers and Deckhands.
(d) Army soldiers and Naval sailors.
5. Where does the crew assemble in chapter 25?
(a) Below decks.
(b) On the shore.
(c) In the galley.
(d) On the mainyard.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who tells Billy of his sentence?
2. Who prepares Billy's body for burial?
3. What does the chaplain give Billy in chapter 24?
4. Where does Captain Vere send Billy after Claggart's death?
5. Where is Billy taken in chapter 19?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is unusual about Billy's death?
2. Describe the drumhead court that convenes in chapter 21.
3. How does Melville compare the politics that surround Billy's case with Jesus' trial?
4. Describe Billy's funeral.
5. What explanation does Billy give for being called to the captain's cabin in chapter 19?
6. Why isn't the chaplain worried about Billy's impending judgment?
7. How does Melville compare Billy's death to Jesus' crucifixion?
8. Describe Claggart's funeral.
9. How is Billy like a sacrificial lamb?
10. How does Captain Vere explain Billy's execution to the crew?
This section contains 1,026 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)