|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In chapter 25, what does the crew cry in unison?
(a) "Let him go!"
(b) "Handsome is as handsome does it, too!"
(c) "Handsomely done, my lad!"
(d) "God bless Captain Vere!"
2. Why does the crew of the Bellipotent save pieces of the sacred item?
(a) To honor Captain Vere.
(b) They believe it prevents mutiny.
(c) They don't think Billy is capable of murder or mutiny.
(d) To worship.
3. In the article about the Bellipotent, how is John Claggart presented?
(a) As an honest, hard working victim.
(b) As a misunderstood officer.
(c) As a foreigner who is conscripted into the navy.
(d) As a hero who discovers a mutinous plot.
4. How does Billy respond to Claggart's accusation?
(a) He hits him.
(b) He screams obscenities.
(c) He faints.
(d) He stutters.
5. Which two characters are Claggart's messmates?
(a) The chief mate and the bosun.
(b) The armorer and the captain of the hold.
(c) The master-at-arms and the chief mate.
(d) Captain Vere and the master-at-arms.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does the chase in chapter 18 end?
2. Where are the real events that occur on the Bellipotent recorded?
3. What does one of Billy's fellow sailors create as a tribute to his fallen shipmate?
4. According to the article about the Bellipotent, how is John Claggart murdered?
5. What is one explanation given for the odd nature of Billy's death?
Short Essay Questions
1. How do the sailors of the Bellipotent honor Billy's memory?
2. How does Melville compare the politics that surround Billy's case with Jesus' trial?
3. How does Melville compare religion to righteous living?
4. Why isn't the chaplain worried about Billy's impending judgment?
5. Why does Captain Vere feel it necessary to deliver the court's verdict to Billy personally?
6. How does Melville compare Billy's death to Jesus' crucifixion?
7. What irony is evident in the nature of Captain Vere's death?
8. Describe Billy's funeral.
9. Why doesn't Billy confront the afterguardsman or Claggart about any of the incidents that occurs?
10. Describe Claggart's funeral.
This section contains 1,168 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)