|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where is Captain Vere taken after he is wounded?
(a) To shore.
(b) To the crow's nest.
(c) To the galley.
(d) To his stateroom.
2. What happens to Captain Vere after he is wounded?
(a) He survives, but never commands another vessel.
(b) He is court-martialed.
(c) He dies.
(d) He remains on the island.
3. What does the Bellipotent chase in chapter 18?
(a) An albatross.
(b) An enemy frigate.
(c) A school of dolphins.
(d) An enemy merchant ship.
4. What penalty does the court consider for Billy in chapter 22?
5. What odd weather appears the moment of Billy's death?
(a) A rumbling storm.
(b) Heat lightning.
(c) A vapory fleece.
(d) A green sky.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is "Billy in the Darbies"?
2. Who is allowed to communicate with Billy in chapter 23?
3. What is attributed to will power in chapter 26?
4. What does Captain Vere tell his crew in chapter 23?
5. Where are the real events that occur on the Bellipotent recorded?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Captain Vere feel it necessary to deliver the court's verdict to Billy personally?
2. What accusation does Claggart bring against Billy?
3. Describe Billy's funeral.
4. How does Captain Vere view Billy before the foretopman is confronted with the accusation of mutiny?
5. Why does Billy refuse to believe that Claggart is orchestrating the events that are plaguing him?
6. How are the events that occur on the Bellipotent distorted on land?
7. What explanation does Billy give for being called to the captain's cabin in chapter 19?
8. How does Claggart's expression begin to betray his feelings in chapter 17?
9. What religious event compares to Billy's funeral?
10. Why does Captain Vere insist that the drumhead court render judgment according to the Mutiny Act?
This section contains 1,260 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)