|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the chaplain give Billy in chapter 24?
(a) A medal of honor.
(b) A cross.
(c) A bible.
(d) A kiss on the cheek.
2. To which biblical figure does Melville compare Claggart?
(b) A Pharisee.
3. What does the Bellipotent chase in chapter 18?
(a) An enemy merchant ship.
(b) An albatross.
(c) An enemy frigate.
(d) A school of dolphins.
4. Why does the crew assemble together in chapter 25?
(a) To witness a flogging.
(b) To protest Billy's punishment.
(c) To witness an execution.
(d) To witness a keelhauling.
5. Which ship does the Bellipotent engage in chapter 28?
(a) The Athiest.
(b) The Agamemnon.
(c) The Theseus.
(d) The Rights-of-Man.
Short Answer Questions
1. What excuse does Billy give for hitting Claggart?
2. Which character becomes very friendly towards Billy in chapter 17?
3. What does Captain Vere tell the surgeon to call?
4. Who is a part of the drumhead court in chapter 21?
5. Which two groups of people does Melville compare in chapter 16?
Short Essay Questions
1. What accusation does Claggart bring against Billy?
2. How are the events that occur on the Bellipotent distorted on land?
3. Why isn't the chaplain worried about Billy's impending judgment?
4. How does Captain Vere view Billy before the foretopman is confronted with the accusation of mutiny?
5. How does Melville compare religion to righteous living?
6. How does Billy react to Claggart's accusation?
7. Why are the events on the Bellipotent distorted in the naval chronicle?
8. How do the sailors of the Bellipotent honor Billy's memory?
9. How is Billy like a sacrificial lamb?
10. How does Melville explain the trusting nature of most sailors?
This section contains 1,184 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)