|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who witnesses Billy's funeral?
(a) The chaplain and members of the drumhead court.
(b) The entire crew.
(c) The chaplain and Captain Vere.
(d) A few of Billy's closest friends.
2. Who visits Billy in chapter 24?
(a) The Dansker.
(b) Lieutenant Ratcliffe.
(c) Red Whiskers.
(d) The chaplain.
3. What happens to Captain Vere after he is wounded?
(a) He dies.
(b) He remains on the island.
(c) He survives, but never commands another vessel.
(d) He is court-martialed.
4. Why does Billy hesitate when asked about his knowledge of a potential insurrection?
(a) He is afraid he stutters.
(b) He feels guilty about his involvement.
(c) He does not want to tattle on a fellow crew member.
(d) He fears the afterguardsman kills him.
5. What does Captain Vere tell the surgeon to call?
(a) To arms.
(b) A drumhead court.
(d) Admiral Nelson.
Short Answer Questions
1. In chapter 18, which character does the captain consider promoting?
2. Which character is the hammock-boy sent to find in chapter 18?
3. What concerns the surgeon in chapter 20?
4. What does the chaplain feel is better than religion for facing judgment?
5. Whom do the officers want to contact?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Captain Vere insist that the drumhead court render judgment according to the Mutiny Act?
2. Why does Captain Vere feel it necessary to deliver the court's verdict to Billy personally?
3. How does Captain Vere view Billy before the foretopman is confronted with the accusation of mutiny?
4. How does Billy react to Claggart's accusation?
5. How does Claggart's expression begin to betray his feelings in chapter 17?
6. Why doesn't Billy confront the afterguardsman or Claggart about any of the incidents that occurs?
7. How does Melville compare the politics that surround Billy's case with Jesus' trial?
8. What is unusual about Billy's death?
9. How are the events that occur on the Bellipotent distorted on land?
10. How does Melville compare Billy's death to Jesus' crucifixion?
This section contains 1,235 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)