|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In the article about the Bellipotent, how is John Claggart presented?
(a) As a foreigner who is conscripted into the navy.
(b) As an honest, hard working victim.
(c) As a misunderstood officer.
(d) As a hero who discovers a mutinous plot.
2. What does the informant tell the Captain that Billy is using to his advantage in planning the mutiny?
(a) His innocent nature.
(b) His brute strength.
(c) The Captain's trust in him.
(d) His charming personality.
3. Which character writes the ballad of Billy Budd?
(a) A lieutenant.
(c) A foretopman.
4. Into what fabric is Billy's body rolled after the execution?
(a) The fabric of his hammock.
(b) The fabric of the ship's flag.
(c) The fabric from a food sack.
(d) The fabric of a fishing net.
5. How does the narrator imagine that Billy Budd takes the news of his impending death?
(a) With anger.
(b) With tears.
(c) With confusion.
(d) With nobility.
Short Answer Questions
1. At the end of the novel, what does the narrator inform the reader about the story that he has been telling them from the beginning?
2. In what publication does the account of Billy Budd's life and death appear?
3. In chapter 25, what does the crew cry in unison?
4. Who is a part of the drumhead court in chapter 21?
5. Where is Claggart's body buried?
This section contains 319 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)