|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What appears to end in chapter 17?
(a) The storm.
(b) The dirty tricks.
(c) Billy and Claggart's friendship.
(d) The journey.
2. Why does the crew of the Bellipotent save pieces of the sacred item?
(a) To worship.
(b) To honor Captain Vere.
(c) They believe it prevents mutiny.
(d) They don't think Billy is capable of murder or mutiny.
3. To which biblical figure does Melville compare Claggart?
(a) A Pharisee.
4. Melville compares Billy's death to the death of which other person?
(c) Captain Bligh.
(d) Admiral Nelson.
5. Where is John Claggart buried?
(a) At sea.
(c) The coast of Timon.
(d) The isle of Mann.
Short Answer Questions
1. To what do most of the crew attribute the odd circumstances surrounding Billy's death?
2. What does the Bellipotent chase in chapter 18?
3. Why doesn't the surgeon question the captain's orders?
4. What is one explanation given for the odd nature of Billy's death?
5. How does Billy react to his impending doom?
Short Essay Questions
1. What accusation does Claggart bring against Billy?
2. How does Melville compare the politics that surround Billy's case with Jesus' trial?
3. Describe the drumhead court that convenes in chapter 21.
4. How does Captain Vere view Billy before the foretopman is confronted with the accusation of mutiny?
5. Describe Billy's funeral.
6. What is ironic about Billy's impending trial?
7. Why does Billy refuse to believe that Claggart is orchestrating the events that are plaguing him?
8. How does Claggart's expression begin to betray his feelings in chapter 17?
9. What religious event compares to Billy's funeral?
10. How does Melville compare religion to righteous living?
This section contains 1,245 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)