|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which character becomes very friendly towards Billy in chapter 17?
(a) The Dansker.
(b) The afterguardsman.
(c) John Claggart.
(d) Lieutenant Ratcliffe.
2. What is standard procedure in the event of a suspected murder at sea?
(a) Confine the accused and contact the admiral.
(b) Ice the victim and flog the accused.
(c) Call a court of officers, render and carry out judgement.
(d) Allow the crew to deal with the accused.
3. How does Billy react to his impending doom?
(b) He curses.
(c) By crying loudly.
(d) With anger.
4. What concerns the surgeon in chapter 20?
(a) The manner in which Claggart dies suddenly.
(b) The manner in which the captain is handling Claggart's death.
(c) The morale of the crew.
(d) The wounds to Billy's hand.
5. What excuse does Billy give for hitting Claggart?
(a) He is unable to speak.
(b) Claggart threatens to kill him.
(c) He is told to do so by the afterguardsman.
(d) He is bi-polar.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the chaplain give Billy in chapter 24?
2. What does the chaplain feel is better than religion for facing judgment?
3. What does Billy cry out a moment before his punishment is carried out?
4. What does the Bellipotent chase in chapter 18?
5. According to Melville, what makes sailors different from non-sailors?
Short Essay Questions
1. What misgivings do the surgeon and the other officers have about Billy's impending trial?
2. How does Claggart's expression begin to betray his feelings in chapter 17?
3. How does Melville compare the politics that surround Billy's case with Jesus' trial?
4. How are the events that occur on the Bellipotent distorted on land?
5. Why isn't the chaplain worried about Billy's impending judgment?
6. Why does Captain Vere feel it necessary to deliver the court's verdict to Billy personally?
7. What is ironic about Billy's impending trial?
8. What religious event compares to Billy's funeral?
9. What explanations are given for the odd nature of Billy's death?
10. Why does Billy cry out "God bless Captain Vere!" moments before his execution?
This section contains 1,226 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)