|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the Bellipotent chase in chapter 18?
(a) An enemy merchant ship.
(b) An enemy frigate.
(c) An albatross.
(d) A school of dolphins.
2. To which biblical figure does Melville compare Claggart?
(a) A Pharisee.
3. Which country does the rival ship in chapter 28 represent?
4. What event occurs after Billy's funeral?
(a) The customary morning religious service.
(b) An attack by a Spanish frigate.
(c) A mutiny.
(d) A shipwreck.
5. How does Billy react to his impending doom?
(a) By crying loudly.
(c) He curses.
(d) With anger.
Short Answer Questions
1. To what do most of the crew attribute the odd circumstances surrounding Billy's death?
2. How does Billy die?
3. What item from the Bellipotent becomes sacred to the crew?
4. In chapter 17, how does Claggart react when he and Billy suddenly meet?
5. Where does the crew assemble in chapter 25?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Melville compare religion to righteous living?
2. How is Billy like a sacrificial lamb?
3. What accusation does Claggart bring against Billy?
4. How does Captain Vere view Billy before the foretopman is confronted with the accusation of mutiny?
5. How does Claggart's expression begin to betray his feelings in chapter 17?
6. What is ironic about Billy's impending trial?
7. Describe the drumhead court that convenes in chapter 21.
8. Describe Billy's funeral.
9. How do the sailors of the Bellipotent honor Billy's memory?
10. Why does Captain Vere insist that the drumhead court render judgment according to the Mutiny Act?
This section contains 1,306 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)