|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who witnesses Billy's funeral?
(a) The chaplain and members of the drumhead court.
(b) A few of Billy's closest friends.
(c) The entire crew.
(d) The chaplain and Captain Vere.
2. What event occurs after Billy's funeral?
(a) An attack by a Spanish frigate.
(b) A mutiny.
(c) A shipwreck.
(d) The customary morning religious service.
3. Why does Billy hesitate when asked about his knowledge of a potential insurrection?
(a) He is afraid he stutters.
(b) He does not want to tattle on a fellow crew member.
(c) He feels guilty about his involvement.
(d) He fears the afterguardsman kills him.
4. In chapter 18, which character does the captain consider promoting?
(a) Billy Budd.
(b) Lieutenant Ratcliffe.
(c) The Dansker.
(d) John Claggart.
5. What is attributed to will power in chapter 26?
(a) The captain's decision to proceed with Billy's punishment.
(b) A man's decision to witness death and stay on board.
(c) The lack of death spasm in Billy's body.
(d) The admiral's decision to proceed with Billy's punishment.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is allowed to communicate with Billy in chapter 23?
2. How does Captain Vere treat Billy in chapter 22?
3. What sentence does the court render in chapter 23?
4. According to the article about the Bellipotent, how is John Claggart murdered?
5. Which country does the rival ship in chapter 28 represent?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Billy react to Claggart's accusation?
2. How does Melville compare Billy's death to Jesus' crucifixion?
3. How does Melville compare religion to righteous living?
4. What explanations are given for the odd nature of Billy's death?
5. How do the sailors of the Bellipotent honor Billy's memory?
6. What religious event compares to Billy's funeral?
7. What accusation does Claggart bring against Billy?
8. Why does Captain Vere insist that the drumhead court render judgment according to the Mutiny Act?
9. What explanation does Billy give for being called to the captain's cabin in chapter 19?
10. Why does Captain Vere feel it necessary to deliver the court's verdict to Billy personally?
This section contains 1,200 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)