|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does one of Billy's fellow sailors create as a tribute to his fallen shipmate?
(a) A plaque.
(b) A poem.
(c) A sculpture.
(d) A medallion.
2. What is a drumhead court?
(a) A formal legal hearing in the presence of an admiral.
(b) Slang for a mob.
(c) An informal legal hearing held at sea.
(d) Slang for a meeting in the captain's quarters.
3. Who is the only witness in the trial?
(a) The valet.
(c) The captain.
(d) Billy Budd.
4. In chapter 17, how does Claggart react when he and Billy suddenly meet?
(a) He clears his throat and looks down.
(b) He moves aside and nods hello.
(c) His eyes flash and his face reddens.
(d) He does not acknowledge Billy's presence.
5. Where are the real events that occur on the Bellipotent recorded?
(a) In Captain Vere's diary.
(b) In top secret naval records.
(c) In the memories of those who witness them.
(d) In the chaplain's diary.
Short Answer Questions
1. What astonishes Captain Vere about the report he receives in chapter 18?
2. Who is allowed to communicate with Billy in chapter 23?
3. What concerns the surgeon in chapter 20?
4. In the article about the Bellipotent, how is John Claggart presented?
5. Who is a part of the drumhead court in chapter 21?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the drumhead court that convenes in chapter 21.
2. What misgivings do the surgeon and the other officers have about Billy's impending trial?
3. How does Claggart's expression begin to betray his feelings in chapter 17?
4. How does Captain Vere view Billy before the foretopman is confronted with the accusation of mutiny?
5. Why are the events on the Bellipotent distorted in the naval chronicle?
6. How are the events that occur on the Bellipotent distorted on land?
7. How does Melville explain the trusting nature of most sailors?
8. Why does Billy refuse to believe that Claggart is orchestrating the events that are plaguing him?
9. What is unusual about Billy's death?
10. Describe Claggart's funeral.
This section contains 1,207 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)