|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In chapter 18, which character does the captain consider promoting?
(a) The Dansker.
(b) John Claggart.
(c) Lieutenant Ratcliffe.
(d) Billy Budd.
2. What changes about the way that the rest of the men treat Billy Budd?
(a) They look at him suspiciously.
(b) They treat him as a saint.
(c) They gang up on him in anger.
(d) There is no change to the way the men aboard ship treat him.
3. Why does Billy hesitate when asked about his knowledge of a potential insurrection?
(a) He fears the afterguardsman kills him.
(b) He does not want to tattle on a fellow crew member.
(c) He feels guilty about his involvement.
(d) He is afraid he stutters.
4. What interesting thing does the Bellipotent see approaching them on the water in Chapter 18?
(a) An enemy ship.
(b) A fisherman's boat.
(c) A gang of sharks.
(d) A mermaid.
5. What is unusual about Billy's death?
(a) He dies smiling.
(b) His hair turns completely white.
(c) His eyes do not close.
(d) His body does not spasm.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of the ship that the Bellipotent finds itself at battle with?
2. What are Billy Budd's final words?
3. Why do the sailors begin to gossip about what is happening in the Captain's cabin?
4. How does the surgeon react to the Captain's judgment of Billy Budd's actions?
5. At the end of the novel, what does the narrator inform the reader about the story that he has been telling them from the beginning?
This section contains 335 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)