|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Billy's one weakness?
(a) He stutters.
(b) He loves women.
(c) He gets seasick during rough weather.
(d) He drinks.
2. What type of personal life does Captain Vere lead?
(a) Bitter and morose.
(b) One filled with a just a few close friends.
(d) One filled with many friends and jovialty.
3. What is the name of Claggart's sidekick?
4. Who does Dansker say is behind the potential mutiny?
(a) Captain Vere.
(d) Billy Budd.
5. Which character remains cheerful, despite clandestine attempts of persecution?
(b) Lieutenant Ratcliffe.
(c) Captain Vere.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is a "Handsome Sailor"?
2. What Greek god is Billy continually compared to?
3. What does another sailor try to give Billy in chapter 14?
4. What nickname does Billy's older friend give him?
5. What does the narrator state about John Claggart's character that differs from the other sailors' perception of him?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Billy Budd still so confused about the potential mutiny the morning after his meeting with the mysterious man?
2. Why does Captain Vere feel it necessary to deliver the court's verdict to Billy personally?
3. What is a mutiny?
4. Why does the Captain order such a hasty and seemingly unfair trial for Claggart's murder?
5. Why does Billy refuse to believe that Claggart is orchestrating the events that are plaguing him?
6. Who is the afterguardsman?
7. Who is Starry Vere?
8. What type of sailor is described as being a "Handsome Sailor"?
9. How does Captain Vere view Billy before the foretopman is confronted with the accusation of mutiny?
10. How does the scourging affect Billy?
This section contains 970 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)