Mid-Book Test - Medium
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What often causes a mutiny?
(b) A sudden gust of wind.
(c) Sailors who drink too much and fight.
(d) Unhappy sailors.
2. What affliction plagues Billy when he is nervous?
(a) He sweats.
(b) He shakes.
(c) He blushes.
(d) He stutters.
3. What does Andrew Marvell create that commemorates Captain Vere?
(a) A sculpture.
(b) A poem.
(c) A bawdy tavern song.
(d) A medallion.
4. In what year does Billy Budd's story take place?
5. What is Billy and Claggart's relationship like before they sail together on the Bellipotent?
(a) They are close friends in childhood, but later drift apart.
(b) They are friends until Billy falls in love with Claggart's sister.
(c) The do not know each other before sailing on the Bellepotent.
(d) They are bitter enemies since childhood.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Claggart finally decide about Billy Budd's spilled soup?
2. How do the rest of the sailors respond to Claggart's reaction over Billy Budd's spill?
3. What is John Claggart's position aboard ship?
4. Returning to the mutinies of 1797, how many of the sailors' requests are met by those in charge?
5. What animal does Claggart's sidekick resemble?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Billy Budd witness happening to a young sailor aboard ship that has a significant impact on him?
2. What is unusual about Billy's death?
3. What happens during Captain Vere's final hours?
4. How does Captain Vere explain Billy's execution to the crew?
5. What descriptions are given of the morning as Billy Budd is brought out to face his execution?
6. Why isn't the chaplain worried about Billy's impending judgment?
7. Describe Billy's funeral.
8. Who is revealed as being the tormentor playing dirty tricks on Billy Budd?
9. What is Billy's one flaw?
10. What happens when the Bellipotent notices an enemy ship approaching them on the water?
This section contains 904 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)