|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which types of books does Captain Vere prefer?
(a) Greek mythology and seafaring stories.
(b) Biography, History and Classical authors.
(c) Shakespearean dramas and Romance novels.
(d) Technical manuals and Mathematical theorems.
2. What does Billy never do before?
(a) Speak to the captain.
(b) Tell a lie.
(c) Be associated with evil.
3. In chapter 14, how does Billy react to the sailor's request?
(a) He is angry.
(b) He is frightened.
(c) He is excited.
(d) He is curious.
4. In chapter 15, what does Billy think he should report to the captain?
(a) The changing weather.
(b) A possible mutiny.
(c) His behavior.
(d) A possible fight.
5. What event occurring on land mirrors a naval mutiny?
(a) A revolution.
(b) A public execution.
(c) A democratic election.
(d) A trial.
Short Answer Questions
1. What event motivates Billy to excel in his duties?
2. How do Captain Vere's officers view their commander's seafaring skills?
3. What is the greatest fear in the British Navy?
4. In chapter 15, which character is Billy's confidant?
5. Why do personalities seem clash more aboard a ship?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who is the Dansker and how does he help Billy?
2. What is Captain Vere's favorite hobby?
3. Describe Billy Budd.
4. Describe Billy's background.
5. Describe John Claggart.
6. What is a mutiny?
7. How does Billy's threat of physical force when confronted by the afterguardsman foreshadow his downfall?
8. What is the first recorded mutiny in the British navy?
9. How does Melville explain moral depravity?
10. How do the officers aboard the Bellipotent view Captain Vere?
This section contains 929 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)