|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does the sailor Billy threatened in chapter 14 react to Billy in chapter 15?
(a) He is very friendly.
(b) He is timid.
(c) He refuses to look Billy in the eye.
(d) He is very aggressive.
2. In chapter 14, how does Billy react to the sailor's request?
(a) He is curious.
(b) He is angry.
(c) He is frightened.
(d) He is excited.
3. Why does Billy join the British navy?
(a) His father is a naval Captain.
(b) His best friend is joining up and convinces him to follow.
(c) He is conscripted into service.
(d) He wants to defend his country.
4. What is a "cat's paw"?
(a) A part of a cat.
(b) Slang for an anchor.
(c) A person who does another's dirty work.
(d) The joint between the mainsail and the topsail.
5. In chapter 14, what does Billy say to the sailor?
(a) He screams in anger.
(b) He whispers his consent.
(c) He whoops and shouts for joy.
(d) He stutters a refusal.
Short Answer Questions
1. How do the other sailors react to Claggart in chapter 10?
2. Why is Billy on the uppermost deck in chapter 14?
3. How old is Billy?
4. What causes Billy to lose his voice on occasion?
5. What decoration marks the Victory's quarterdeck?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the scourging affect Billy?
2. How do ruling bodies on board a ship compare to ruling bodies on land?
3. How does Billy's threat of physical force when confronted by the afterguardsman foreshadow his downfall?
4. What is a "Handsome Sailor"?
5. How does Melville contrast Billy and Claggart's characters?
6. What is a mutiny?
7. Which one of the seven deadly sins drives Claggart to destroy Billy?
8. What is Billy's one flaw?
9. What incident is the catalyst for Billy's demise?
10. What advice does the Dansker give Billy about his confrontation with the afterguardsman?
This section contains 1,035 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)