|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which character is described in chapter 11 as being "down" on Billy?
(a) The Dansker.
(b) Captain Vere.
(c) John Claggart.
(d) Lieutenant Ratcliffe.
2. Which types of books does Captain Vere prefer?
(a) Greek mythology and seafaring stories.
(b) Biography, History and Classical authors.
(c) Shakespearean dramas and Romance novels.
(d) Technical manuals and Mathematical theorems.
3. What often causes a mutiny?
(a) A sudden gust of wind.
(b) Unhappy sailors.
(c) Sailors who drink too much and fight.
4. Who causes the uncomfortable incident in chapter 10?
(a) Lieutenant Ratcliffe.
(d) Red Whiskers.
5. Which character is known for his simplicity and naiveté?
(a) John Claggart.
(b) Billy Budd.
(c) Lieutenant Ratcliffe.
(d) Captain Vere.
Short Answer Questions
1. How is discipline maintained on the Bellipotent?
2. Which act does Claggart believe is an intentional attempt to offend him?
3. Which country is described as ruling the seas?
4. What event motivates Billy to excel in his duties?
5. How do Captain Vere's officers view their commander's personality?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who is the Dansker and how does he help Billy?
2. How does Billy's innocence affect his ability to react to the afterguardsman's proposal?
3. How does the social climate on board a ship compare to the social climate on land?
4. How does Billy's threat of physical force when confronted by the afterguardsman foreshadow his downfall?
5. Describe Billy Budd.
6. Describe Captain Vere.
7. Who is Starry Vere?
8. What does Claggart mean when he says, "Handsomely done, my lad! And handsome is as handsome does it, too!" ?
9. Who is the afterguardsman?
10. Describe Admiral Nelson.
This section contains 1,043 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)