|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which character is known for this neat, careful dress?
(a) Captain Vere.
(b) John Claggart.
(c) Lieutenant Ratcliffe.
(d) Billy Budd.
2. Which mutiny is referred to as "the Great Mutiny"?
3. Which types of historical figures are often compared to Billy?
(a) Noble sailors.
(b) Greek heros.
(c) Biblical prophets.
(d) Medieval knights.
4. Which Captain is involved in the mutiny at Nore?
(a) Captain Vere.
(b) Captain Budd.
(c) Captain Graveling.
(d) Captain Bligh.
5. Who is Billy Budd?
(a) A thief and troublemaker.
(b) A young fair-skinned, blue eyed foretopman.
(c) A young native African who dresses in colorful clothes.
(d) The captain of the HMS Bellipotent.
Short Answer Questions
1. How do Captain Vere's officers view their commander's seafaring skills?
2. What is Billy and Claggart's relationship like after they begin working together on the Bellipotent?
3. What other name is a reference to Captain Vere?
4. What elements of ship's life are mirrored in the world outside the ship?
5. Which character remains cheerful, despite clandestine attempts of persecution?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Captain Vere's favorite hobby?
2. Who is Starry Vere?
3. How does the scourging affect Billy?
4. Who is the Dansker and how does he help Billy?
5. How do the officers aboard the Bellipotent view Captain Vere?
6. How does Billy's innocence affect his ability to react to the afterguardsman's proposal?
7. What changes the face of naval warfare in the 18th century?
8. Describe Captain Vere.
9. How does Melville contrast Billy and Claggart's characters?
10. Describe Admiral Nelson.
This section contains 997 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)