|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does the sailor Billy threatened in chapter 14 react to Billy in chapter 15?
(a) He is very friendly.
(b) He is very aggressive.
(c) He refuses to look Billy in the eye.
(d) He is timid.
2. What does the sailor in chapter 14 want Billy to join?
(a) A chess club.
(b) A special forces troop.
(c) His ministry.
(d) A mutiny.
3. In chapter four, which naval commander is hailed as one of the greatest strategists of all time?
(a) Admiral Nelson.
(b) Captain Graveling.
(c) Captain Bligh.
(d) Captain Vere.
4. Why is Billy reprimanded in chapter nine?
(a) Someone is playing tricks on him that get him in trouble.
(b) He is caught eating in the crow's nest.
(c) He falls asleep while on watch.
(d) He knocks over a full bucket in front of the captain.
5. Which naval ship does Billy serve on?
(b) HMS Bellipotent.
(c) HMS Pinafore.
(d) The Theseus.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Captain Vere's nickname?
2. What is the greatest fear in the British Navy?
3. Which character does Squeak play tricks on?
4. What is Billy's position on the ship?
5. Where does the first recorded mutiny of the British Navy occur?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is a mutiny?
2. How does the social climate on board a ship compare to the social climate on land?
3. Which one of the seven deadly sins drives Claggart to destroy Billy?
4. How do the sailors on board the Bellipotent view John Claggart?
5. How does Billy's threat of physical force when confronted by the afterguardsman foreshadow his downfall?
6. How does deception destroy both Claggart and Billy?
7. What is the first recorded mutiny in the British navy?
8. Who is the Dansker and how does he help Billy?
9. How do ruling bodies on board a ship compare to ruling bodies on land?
10. Why is Claggart "down" on Billy?
This section contains 1,103 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)