|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What often causes a mutiny?
(a) Sailors who drink too much and fight.
(b) A sudden gust of wind.
(c) Unhappy sailors.
2. Who causes the uncomfortable incident in chapter 10?
(b) Red Whiskers.
(d) Lieutenant Ratcliffe.
3. Which character is known for his cheerful disposition?
(a) Billy Budd.
(b) Lieutenant Ratcliffe.
(c) John Claggart.
(d) Captain Vere.
4. Why do personalities seem clash more aboard a ship?
(a) Weeks of seasickness makes the crew irritable.
(b) The stress of working for a harsh captain makes the crew irate.
(c) Sailors are usually tempremental in nature.
(d) Sailors live in close quarters for long periods of time.
5. How does the sailor Billy threatened in chapter 14 react to Billy in chapter 15?
(a) He is very aggressive.
(b) He is timid.
(c) He is very friendly.
(d) He refuses to look Billy in the eye.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is Billy's father?
2. In chapter two, how does Billy react to his new shipmates?
3. How do Captain Vere's officers view their commander's seafaring skills?
4. How is discipline maintained on the Bellipotent?
5. What is John Claggart's responsibility on board the ship?
Short Essay Questions
1. What advice does the Dansker give Billy about his confrontation with the afterguardsman?
2. Describe Admiral Nelson.
3. Who is Squeak?
4. Describe Billy Budd.
5. What is a "Handsome Sailor"?
6. How does the scourging affect Billy?
7. How does Melville contrast Billy and Claggart's characters?
8. How does the social climate on board a ship compare to the social climate on land?
9. What incident is the catalyst for Billy's demise?
10. Describe Billy's background.
This section contains 1,047 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)