|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is responsible for the tricks being played on Billy?
(a) John Claggart.
(b) Red Whiskers.
(c) Lieutenant Ratcliffe.
(d) The Dansker.
2. What does Claggart understand about BIlly's character that drives him further into envy?
(a) That Billy is falsifying his goodness.
(b) That Billy will never recognize his own goodness.
(c) That Billy is undeserving of his goodness.
(d) That Billy's nature is good.
3. How does Claggart respond to the incident in chapter 10?
(a) "You fool!"
(b) "The fates are agin' us!"
(c) "Handsomely done, my lad!"
(d) He is silent.
4. How does Admiral Nelson win over the trust of his men?
(a) Through his heroic personality.
(b) By fining the men who broke his rules.
(c) Through beating them into submission.
(d) By allowing them to run their own ship.
5. What affliction plagues Billy when he is nervous?
(a) He shakes.
(b) He sweats.
(c) He stutters.
(d) He blushes.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which character is deceived by Squeak's lies?
2. What does Dansker call the man who is in charge of the mutiny?
3. In chapter 15, what does Billy think he should report to the captain?
4. What is the name of the mutiny that leads to Admiral Nelson's promotion?
5. What reason does the narrator give for the potential motivation that Captain Vere has for collecting the unusual items from land?
Short Essay Questions
1. What transition does Captain Vere go through when Billy is in his office listening to the accusations being brought against him?
2. Why does Billy refuse to believe that Claggart is orchestrating the events that are plaguing him?
3. What is the significance of Captain Vere's last words?
4. What are Billy's final words, and what is the reaction to them?
5. What does the narrator reveal about Captain Vere that signals the reader to the Captain's intellectualism?
6. What does the Chaplain come to speak to Billy about before his execution?
7. How do the officers aboard the Bellipotent view Captain Vere?
8. What changes the face of naval warfare in the 18th century?
9. What accusation does Claggart bring against Billy?
10. Describe Claggart's funeral.
This section contains 996 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)