|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is Billy Budd?
(a) A young fair-skinned, blue eyed foretopman.
(b) A young native African who dresses in colorful clothes.
(c) A thief and troublemaker.
(d) The captain of the HMS Bellipotent.
2. Who is responsible for the tricks being played on Billy?
(a) John Claggart.
(b) The Dansker.
(c) Red Whiskers.
(d) Lieutenant Ratcliffe.
3. Why is Billy on the uppermost deck in chapter 14?
(a) He is mending the topsail.
(b) He is sleeping.
(c) He is on watch.
(d) He is smoking.
4. What is a "cat's paw"?
(a) A part of a cat.
(b) A person who does another's dirty work.
(c) The joint between the mainsail and the topsail.
(d) Slang for an anchor.
5. Which mutiny is referred to as "the Great Mutiny"?
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Admiral Nelson keep his sailors under control?
2. How is discipline maintained on the Bellipotent?
3. How does Billy react to Claggart in chapter 10?
4. Why do personalities seem clash more aboard a ship?
5. Which battle does the Victory's quarterdeck decoration commemorate?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Billy's innocence affect his ability to react to the afterguardsman's proposal?
2. Who is the afterguardsman?
3. What does Claggart mean when he says, "Handsomely done, my lad! And handsome is as handsome does it, too!" ?
4. Describe Billy Budd.
5. How does the scourging affect Billy?
6. Describe John Claggart.
7. Describe Admiral Nelson.
8. Who is the Dansker and how does he help Billy?
9. What is Captain Vere's favorite hobby?
10. How do the officers aboard the Bellipotent view Captain Vere?
This section contains 1,014 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)