|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where does the first recorded mutiny of the British Navy occur?
2. How old is Jon Claggart when he enters the Navy?
3. What decoration marks the Victory's quarterdeck?
(a) A star.
(b) A medallion.
(c) A crescent moon.
(d) An albatross.
4. In chapter four, which naval commander is hailed as one of the greatest strategists of all time?
(a) Captain Bligh.
(b) Captain Vere.
(c) Captain Graveling.
(d) Admiral Nelson.
5. What attitude does Captain Vere gain from his studies?
(a) The penchant for waxing philosophical while on deck.
(b) An air of superiority about the technical aspects of the ship.
(c) Very firm convictions and a slightly pedantic outlook.
(d) An unhealthy interest in omens and the supernatural.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does the sailor Billy threatened in chapter 14 react to Billy in chapter 15?
2. What does Billy threaten to do to the sailor in chapter 14?
3. Which character remains cheerful, despite clandestine attempts of persecution?
4. How does Admiral Nelson keep his sailors under control?
5. What is the greatest fear in the British Navy?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Claggart mean when he says, "Handsomely done, my lad! And handsome is as handsome does it, too!" ?
2. What is the first recorded mutiny in the British navy?
3. How do the sailors on board the Bellipotent view John Claggart?
4. Who is the Dansker and how does he help Billy?
5. How does the scourging affect Billy?
6. How does Billy's innocence affect his ability to react to the afterguardsman's proposal?
7. What is a mutiny?
8. How does Melville contrast Billy and Claggart's characters?
9. Describe Captain Vere.
10. Describe John Claggart.
This section contains 1,065 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)