|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What decoration marks the Victory's quarterdeck?
(a) A crescent moon.
(b) A star.
(c) An albatross.
(d) A medallion.
2. What is John Claggart's responsibility on board the ship?
(a) To maintain order on the lower gun decks.
(b) To plan the day's work and assign tasks to the deck crew.
(c) To be responsible for the ship's cargo and crew.
(d) To handle the sails on the foremast.
3. Which famous character does the Victory's quarterdeck decoration commemorate?
(a) Captain Vere.
(b) Admiral Nelson.
(c) Captain Graveling.
(d) Captain Bligh.
4. What does the sailor in chapter 14 want Billy to join?
(a) A mutiny.
(b) A special forces troop.
(c) A chess club.
(d) His ministry.
5. Which character is considered by others to be the most attractive in every aspect?
(a) Billy Budd.
(b) Captain Vere.
(c) John Claggart.
(d) Lieutenant Ratcliffe.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which act does Claggart believe is an intentional attempt to offend him?
2. What event occurring on land mirrors a naval mutiny?
3. What is Captain Vere's favorite hobby?
4. Why does Melville claim that certain men are morally depraved?
5. What is a "cat's paw"?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the scourging affect Billy?
2. How does Melville contrast Billy and Claggart's characters?
3. What does Claggart mean when he says, "Handsomely done, my lad! And handsome is as handsome does it, too!" ?
4. Who is the Dansker and how does he help Billy?
5. Why is Claggart "down" on Billy?
6. How does Billy's innocence affect his ability to react to the afterguardsman's proposal?
7. Describe Captain Vere.
8. What is Billy's one flaw?
9. Describe Billy's background.
10. Who is Squeak?
This section contains 1,039 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)