|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does the sailor Billy threatened in chapter 14 react to Billy in chapter 15?
(a) He is very friendly.
(b) He refuses to look Billy in the eye.
(c) He is timid.
(d) He is very aggressive.
2. What is Billy's one weakness?
(a) He loves women.
(b) He drinks.
(c) He stutters.
(d) He gets seasick during rough weather.
3. Which mutiny is discussed in chapter five?
4. Who is responsible for the tricks being played on Billy?
(a) Lieutenant Ratcliffe.
(b) The Dansker.
(c) John Claggart.
(d) Red Whiskers.
5. What is a "Handsome Sailor"?
(a) The dashing sailor who has a girl in every port.
(b) The name of William Bligh's frigate.
(c) The name of Captain Graveling's merchant ship.
(d) A sailor who is attractive, strong, ethical and a natural leader.
Short Answer Questions
1. In chapter 15, which character is Billy's confidant?
2. What is Billy and Claggart's relationship like before they sail together on the Bellipotent?
3. What is Billy's responsibility on board the ship?
4. What does another sailor try to give Billy in chapter 14?
5. Who is Red Whiskers?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who is Squeak?
2. How does the scourging affect Billy?
3. What does Claggart mean when he says, "Handsomely done, my lad! And handsome is as handsome does it, too!" ?
4. How do the officers aboard the Bellipotent view Captain Vere?
5. How does Billy's innocence affect his ability to react to the afterguardsman's proposal?
6. Which one of the seven deadly sins drives Claggart to destroy Billy?
7. Describe Billy's background.
8. Why is Claggart "down" on Billy?
9. What is Billy's one flaw?
10. What is Captain Vere's favorite hobby?
This section contains 1,010 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)