|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Billy's position on the ship?
(d) Chief Mate.
2. Which character is known for his simplicity and naiveté?
(a) John Claggart.
(b) Billy Budd.
(c) Lieutenant Ratcliffe.
(d) Captain Vere.
3. What is John Claggart's position on the ship?
(c) Chief Mate.
4. Which mutiny is discussed in chapter five?
5. In chapter 15, what does Billy think he should report to the captain?
(a) His behavior.
(b) A possible fight.
(c) The changing weather.
(d) A possible mutiny.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is a "cat's paw"?
2. Who causes the uncomfortable incident in chapter 10?
3. What does Billy threaten to do to the sailor in chapter 14?
4. Where does the first recorded mutiny of the British Navy occur?
5. How is discipline maintained on the Bellipotent?
Short Essay Questions
1. How do the sailors on board the Bellipotent view John Claggart?
2. Describe Captain Vere.
3. Describe Admiral Nelson.
4. Who is the afterguardsman?
5. How does deception destroy both Claggart and Billy?
6. What incident is the catalyst for Billy's demise?
7. How does the social climate on board a ship compare to the social climate on land?
8. How does the scourging affect Billy?
9. What advice does the Dansker give Billy about his confrontation with the afterguardsman?
10. How does Melville explain moral depravity?
This section contains 1,006 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)