|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Captain Vere cited for in West Indian waters?
2. In chapter 15, which character is Billy's confidant?
(a) Red Whiskers.
(b) The Dansker.
(c) Lieutenant Ratcliffe.
(d) John Claggart.
3. Who is Billy Budd?
(a) A young native African who dresses in colorful clothes.
(b) A thief and troublemaker.
(c) A young fair-skinned, blue eyed foretopman.
(d) The captain of the HMS Bellipotent.
4. How does Billy react to Claggart in chapter 10?
(a) He thinks Claggart likes him.
(b) He hits Claggart in the face.
(c) He runs to the captain.
(d) He begins to curse and shout at Claggart.
5. When does the incident in chapter 10 occur?
Short Answer Questions
1. What one item changes the face of warfare?
2. Which famous character does the Victory's quarterdeck decoration commemorate?
3. In chapter 15, what does Billy think he should report to the captain?
4. How does Admiral Nelson keep his sailors under control?
5. Who is Squeak?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does deception destroy both Claggart and Billy?
2. What is a "Handsome Sailor"?
3. What is Billy's one flaw?
4. Describe Billy's background.
5. What advice does the Dansker give Billy about his confrontation with the afterguardsman?
6. How does the scourging affect Billy?
7. Describe Admiral Nelson.
8. Why is Claggart "down" on Billy?
9. Describe Captain Vere.
10. Describe Billy Budd.
This section contains 894 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)