|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is Red Whiskers?
(a) The Captain of the HMS Bellipotent.
(b) The Captain of the Rights-of-Man
(c) The ship's cat.
(d) Billy's big, shaggy red-haired friend.
2. Which character is known for his cheerful disposition?
(a) John Claggart.
(b) Billy Budd.
(c) Captain Vere.
(d) Lieutenant Ratcliffe.
3. How does Billy react to Claggart in chapter 10?
(a) He begins to curse and shout at Claggart.
(b) He hits Claggart in the face.
(c) He runs to the captain.
(d) He thinks Claggart likes him.
4. In chapter four, which naval commander is hailed as one of the greatest strategists of all time?
(a) Captain Bligh.
(b) Captain Graveling.
(c) Admiral Nelson.
(d) Captain Vere.
5. What does the sailor in chapter 14 want Billy to join?
(a) A chess club.
(b) His ministry.
(c) A mutiny.
(d) A special forces troop.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Billy and Claggart's relationship like before they sail together on the Bellipotent?
2. In chapter 14, what does Billy say to the sailor?
3. Why is Billy reprimanded in chapter nine?
4. In chapter two, how does Billy react to his new shipmates?
5. When does the incident in chapter 10 occur?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Admiral Nelson.
2. Describe Captain Vere.
3. What is Billy's one flaw?
4. What incident is the catalyst for Billy's demise?
5. How does Billy's threat of physical force when confronted by the afterguardsman foreshadow his downfall?
6. What is a "Handsome Sailor"?
7. Who is Starry Vere?
8. Who is the afterguardsman?
9. Why is Claggart "down" on Billy?
10. How do the officers aboard the Bellipotent view Captain Vere?
This section contains 1,055 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)