|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What nickname does Billy's older friend give him?
(a) Prince William.
(b) Billy Boy.
(c) Baby Budd.
2. In chapter 14, how does Billy react to the sailor's request?
(a) He is angry.
(b) He is excited.
(c) He is frightened.
(d) He is curious.
3. In chapter four, which sailor is hailed as the greatest of all time?
(a) Captain Bligh.
(b) Captain Graveling.
(c) Captain Vere.
(d) Admiral Nelson.
4. What is a possible cause for Claggart's behavior towards Billy?
5. What event occurring on land mirrors a naval mutiny?
(a) A trial.
(b) A democratic election.
(c) A public execution.
(d) A revolution.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is Squeak?
2. What does another sailor try to give Billy in chapter 14?
3. What is Billy and Claggart's relationship like after they begin working together on the Bellipotent?
4. How does the sailor Billy threatened in chapter 14 react to Billy in chapter 15?
5. How old is Jon Claggart when he enters the Navy?
Short Essay Questions
1. What advice does the Dansker give Billy about his confrontation with the afterguardsman?
2. How does deception destroy both Claggart and Billy?
3. What incident is the catalyst for Billy's demise?
4. How does the social climate on board a ship compare to the social climate on land?
5. What is Billy's one flaw?
6. How does Billy's innocence affect his ability to react to the afterguardsman's proposal?
7. How does the scourging affect Billy?
8. What is a "Handsome Sailor"?
9. What does Claggart mean when he says, "Handsomely done, my lad! And handsome is as handsome does it, too!" ?
10. Who is Starry Vere?
This section contains 1,035 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)