|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In chapter two, how does Billy react to his new shipmates?
(a) He is sad and gloomy.
(b) He is afraid of the older sailors.
(c) He is easily angered.
(d) He is cheerful and friendly.
2. What one item changes the face of warfare?
(a) The longbow.
(b) The sword.
(d) The crossbow.
3. Where does the first recorded mutiny of the British Navy occur?
4. Who is Red Whiskers?
(a) The Captain of the Rights-of-Man
(b) The Captain of the HMS Bellipotent.
(c) Billy's big, shaggy red-haired friend.
(d) The ship's cat.
5. Which character does Squeak play tricks on?
(a) Lieutenant Ratcliffe.
(d) Captain Vere.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the sailor in chapter 14 want Billy to join?
2. Which character does Squeak create lies about?
3. In chapter 15, which character is Billy's confidant?
4. What event motivates Billy to excel in his duties?
5. Which naval ship does Billy serve on?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Billy's background.
2. How does the scourging affect Billy?
3. Describe Admiral Nelson.
4. What changes the face of naval warfare in the 18th century?
5. How does Billy's innocence affect his ability to react to the afterguardsman's proposal?
6. What is Captain Vere's favorite hobby?
7. Who is the Dansker and how does he help Billy?
8. What is a mutiny?
9. Who is the afterguardsman?
10. How does Melville explain moral depravity?
This section contains 916 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)