|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What event occurring on land mirrors a naval mutiny?
(a) A democratic election.
(b) A public execution.
(c) A trial.
(d) A revolution.
2. When does the incident in chapter 10 occur?
3. Who is responsible for the tricks being played on Billy?
(a) The Dansker.
(b) Lieutenant Ratcliffe.
(c) John Claggart.
(d) Red Whiskers.
4. How do Captain Vere's officers view their commander's seafaring skills?
(d) Riddled with inconsistencies.
5. In chapter 15, what does Billy think he should report to the captain?
(a) His behavior.
(b) A possible fight.
(c) A possible mutiny.
(d) The changing weather.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which country is described as ruling the seas?
2. What attitude does Captain Vere gain from his studies?
3. How old is Billy?
4. What is Captain Vere's nickname?
5. Which mutiny is referred to as "the Great Mutiny"?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who is Squeak?
2. How does Billy's threat of physical force when confronted by the afterguardsman foreshadow his downfall?
3. How does the scourging affect Billy?
4. Describe Captain Vere.
5. Why is Claggart "down" on Billy?
6. How do the sailors on board the Bellipotent view John Claggart?
7. What is a "Handsome Sailor"?
8. Describe Billy's background.
9. What is a mutiny?
10. What incident is the catalyst for Billy's demise?
This section contains 962 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)