|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does another sailor try to give Billy in chapter 14?
(c) The wrong rope.
(d) A package of dates.
2. What uncomfortable incident occurs in chapter 10?
(a) Soup is spilled when the ship lurches.
(b) An empty bucket rolls down the gangplank and hits the captain.
(c) The entire crew is disciplined for one sailor's error.
(d) The topsail rips in a sudden gust of wind.
3. What does Billy never do before?
(a) Tell a lie.
(b) Be associated with evil.
(c) Speak to the captain.
4. How do Captain Vere's officers view their commander's seafaring skills?
(b) Riddled with inconsistencies.
5. When does the incident in chapter 10 occur?
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is Squeak?
2. Which Captain is involved in the mutiny at Nore?
3. Which character does Squeak create lies about?
4. What is the greatest fear in the British Navy?
5. Which character is known for his simplicity and naiveté?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is a "Handsome Sailor"?
2. What is the first recorded mutiny in the British navy?
3. How does Billy's threat of physical force when confronted by the afterguardsman foreshadow his downfall?
4. Who is the Dansker and how does he help Billy?
5. Why is Claggart "down" on Billy?
6. Describe Admiral Nelson.
7. How does Melville contrast Billy and Claggart's characters?
8. Describe Billy Budd.
9. Who is Starry Vere?
10. Describe Billy's background.
This section contains 995 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)