|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In chapter 14, what does Billy say to the sailor?
(a) He screams in anger.
(b) He stutters a refusal.
(c) He whispers his consent.
(d) He whoops and shouts for joy.
2. How does John Claggart earn his promotions?
(a) Through his exemplary behavior and austere patriotism.
(b) He blackmails his superiors.
(c) Through a series of bribes.
(d) Unbeknownst to the crew, he is related to the captian.
3. What does another sailor try to give Billy in chapter 14?
(b) A package of dates.
(c) The wrong rope.
4. What does the sailor in chapter 14 want Billy to join?
(a) His ministry.
(b) A mutiny.
(c) A chess club.
(d) A special forces troop.
5. What event motivates Billy to excel in his duties?
(a) A scourging.
(b) A keelhauling.
(c) A hanging.
(d) His promotion.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is responsible for the tricks being played on Billy?
2. In chapter two, how does Billy react to his new shipmates?
3. Why is Billy on the uppermost deck in chapter 14?
4. How does Billy react to Claggart in chapter 10?
5. What often causes a mutiny?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Claggart "down" on Billy?
2. How does Billy's threat of physical force when confronted by the afterguardsman foreshadow his downfall?
3. Who is the afterguardsman?
4. What is the first recorded mutiny in the British navy?
5. Describe Admiral Nelson.
6. How does deception destroy both Claggart and Billy?
7. What is Billy's one flaw?
8. Which one of the seven deadly sins drives Claggart to destroy Billy?
9. How does Melville contrast Billy and Claggart's characters?
10. Describe John Claggart.
This section contains 1,061 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)