|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. To what does Melville attribute the general attitude of most sailors?
(a) Their lives are always controlled.
(b) Living in close quarters warps a person's character.
(c) The sea attacts the worst types of individuals.
(d) They must assume control of their lives at an early age.
2. Which country does the rival ship in chapter 28 represent?
3. Which other characters has odd weather changes occur during his death?
(a) Captain Bligh.
(d) Admiral Nelson.
4. In chapter 17, how does Claggart react when he and Billy suddenly meet?
(a) His eyes flash and his face reddens.
(b) He does not acknowledge Billy's presence.
(c) He moves aside and nods hello.
(d) He clears his throat and looks down.
5. Where does the crew assemble in chapter 25?
(a) On the shore.
(b) On the mainyard.
(c) In the galley.
(d) Below decks.
6. What is one explanation given for the odd nature of Billy's death?
(d) The weather.
7. Who visits Billy in chapter 24?
(a) The Dansker.
(b) Red Whiskers.
(c) The chaplain.
(d) Lieutenant Ratcliffe.
8. Why does the crew of the Bellipotent save pieces of the sacred item?
(a) To honor Captain Vere.
(b) They believe it prevents mutiny.
(c) To worship.
(d) They don't think Billy is capable of murder or mutiny.
9. How does the chase in chapter 18 end?
(a) The frigate escapes.
(b) The dolphins submerge.
(c) The merchant ship surrenders.
(d) The albatross lands on the topmast.
10. How is Billy's body prepared for burial?
(a) It is stuffed into a canvas sack.
(b) It is placed in a pine box.
(c) It is wrapped in his hammock.
(d) It is wrapped in the torn topsail.
11. What item from the Bellipotent becomes sacred to the crew?
(a) The spar.
(b) The torn topsail.
(c) The jib.
(d) The medallion.
12. In chapter 18, which character reports suspicious behavior of a sailor to Captain Vere?
(a) Lieutenant Ratcliffe.
(b) John Claggart.
(c) Billy Budd.
(d) The Dansker.
13. Where is Billy confined in chapter 24?
(a) In the cargo hold.
(b) In the captain's stateroom.
(c) In the brig.
(d) Between two guns.
14. In chapter 23, when is the crew called together?
(a) At sunset.
(b) An hour before dogwatch.
(c) At dogwatch.
(d) An hour past dogwatch.
15. Who witnesses Billy's funeral?
(a) The entire crew.
(b) The chaplain and Captain Vere.
(c) The chaplain and members of the drumhead court.
(d) A few of Billy's closest friends.
Short Answer Questions
1. In which article are the events on the Bellipotent published?
2. What concerns the surgeon in chapter 20?
3. What odd weather appears the moment of Billy's death?
4. What time is dogwatch?
5. According to the article about the Bellipotent, how is John Claggart murdered?
This section contains 484 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)