|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where is Billy buried?
(a) On the Isle of Mann.
(b) In England.
(c) At sea.
(d) On the shores of Timor.
2. Where does the crew assemble in chapter 25?
(a) On the mainyard.
(b) Below decks.
(c) On the shore.
(d) In the galley.
3. Why does the crew assemble together in chapter 25?
(a) To witness a keelhauling.
(b) To protest Billy's punishment.
(c) To witness an execution.
(d) To witness a flogging.
4. What does Captain Vere tell his crew in chapter 23?
(a) Billy Budd is murdered.
(b) A sailor is executed for murdering the master-at-arms.
(c) The admiral is on board for a surprise inspection.
(d) Billy Budd jumps overboard.
5. How does Claggart die?
(a) Captain Vere shoots him.
(b) The valet stabs him.
(c) He hangs himself.
(d) Billy hits him.
6. What is one explanation given for the odd nature of Billy's death?
(b) The weather.
7. Where is Billy confined in chapter 24?
(a) In the brig.
(b) In the cargo hold.
(c) Between two guns.
(d) In the captain's stateroom.
8. According to Melville, what makes sailors different from non-sailors?
(a) Sailors do not trust others easily.
(b) Sailors have more freedom.
(c) Sailors are more trusting.
(d) Sailors are natural liars.
9. What concerns the officers in chapter 20?
(a) The impending storms on the horizon.
(b) The morale of the crew.
(c) The manner in which the captain is handling Claggart's death.
(d) The manner in which Claggart dies suddenly.
10. In the article about the Bellipotent, how is John Claggart presented?
(a) As an honest, hard working victim.
(b) As a foreigner who is conscripted into the navy.
(c) As a hero who discovers a mutinous plot.
(d) As a misunderstood officer.
11. How does Meville characterize Billy?
(a) Innocent and child-like.
(b) Fearful and timid.
(c) Angry and vengeful.
(d) Deceptive and untrustworthy.
12. What astonishes Captain Vere about the report he receives in chapter 18?
(a) He thinks the Bellipotent is the fastest ship on the water.
(b) John Claggart is named as a conspirator.
(c) The albatross is sitting on the topmast.
(d) Billy Budd is named as a conspirator.
13. Which character becomes very friendly towards Billy in chapter 17?
(a) The Dansker.
(b) The afterguardsman.
(c) John Claggart.
(d) Lieutenant Ratcliffe.
14. Why doesn't the chaplain try to intervene on Billy's behalf?
(a) He feels that Billy deserves punishment.
(b) He is afraid of the captain.
(c) Military law is more powerful than his religious influence.
(d) Because Billy does not talk to him.
15. Where are the real events that occur on the Bellipotent recorded?
(a) In top secret naval records.
(b) In the chaplain's diary.
(c) In Captain Vere's diary.
(d) In the memories of those who witness them.
Short Answer Questions
1. What time is dogwatch?
2. What odd weather appears the moment of Billy's death?
3. Where is Billy taken in chapter 19?
4. In chapter 18, which character reports suspicious behavior of a sailor to Captain Vere?
5. Where is John Claggart buried?
This section contains 478 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)