|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is the only witness in the trial?
(a) Billy Budd.
(b) The captain.
(d) The valet.
2. How is Billy's body prepared for burial?
(a) It is wrapped in his hammock.
(b) It is stuffed into a canvas sack.
(c) It is wrapped in the torn topsail.
(d) It is placed in a pine box.
3. To which biblical figure does Melville compare Claggart?
(d) A Pharisee.
4. Where is Billy buried?
(a) In England.
(b) On the Isle of Mann.
(c) On the shores of Timor.
(d) At sea.
5. What is one explanation given for the odd nature of Billy's death?
(d) The weather.
6. Why does the crew assemble together in chapter 25?
(a) To witness an execution.
(b) To protest Billy's punishment.
(c) To witness a flogging.
(d) To witness a keelhauling.
7. Which character stares at Billy with a meditative and melancholy expression in chapter 17?
(a) John Claggart.
(b) Lieutenant Ratcliffe.
(c) The afterguardsman.
(d) The Dansker.
8. Who is allowed to communicate with Billy in chapter 23?
(a) Lieutenant Ratcliffe.
(b) The Dansker.
(c) Red Whiskers.
(d) The chaplain.
9. How does Captain Vere treat Billy in chapter 22?
(a) He ignores Billy's presence.
(b) With contempt.
(c) He breates his behavior.
(d) With compassion.
10. Which ship does the Bellipotent engage in chapter 28?
(a) The Rights-of-Man.
(b) The Athiest.
(c) The Agamemnon.
(d) The Theseus.
11. According to Melville, what makes sailors different from non-sailors?
(a) Sailors have more freedom.
(b) Sailors are natural liars.
(c) Sailors do not trust others easily.
(d) Sailors are more trusting.
12. Why does the crew of the Bellipotent save pieces of the sacred item?
(a) They believe it prevents mutiny.
(b) To honor Captain Vere.
(c) To worship.
(d) They don't think Billy is capable of murder or mutiny.
13. Where are the real events that occur on the Bellipotent recorded?
(a) In top secret naval records.
(b) In the memories of those who witness them.
(c) In Captain Vere's diary.
(d) In the chaplain's diary.
14. What does Captain Vere tell the surgeon to call?
(b) To arms.
(c) Admiral Nelson.
(d) A drumhead court.
15. What hits Captain Vere in chapter 28?
(a) A dagger.
(b) A wayward jib.
(c) A musket ball.
(d) A falling spar.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who prepares Billy's body for burial?
2. Whom do the officers want to contact?
3. How does Billy respond to Claggart's accusation?
4. What does Captain Vere tell his crew in chapter 23?
5. How does Meville characterize Billy?
This section contains 424 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)