|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is the only witness in the trial?
(a) Billy Budd.
(b) The valet.
(c) The captain.
2. Where is Captain Vere taken after he is wounded?
(a) To shore.
(b) To the galley.
(c) To the crow's nest.
(d) To his stateroom.
3. Which two groups of people does Melville compare in chapter 16?
(a) Army soldiers and Naval sailors.
(b) Sailors and Landsmen.
(c) Men and Women.
(d) Officers and Deckhands.
4. Which character becomes very friendly towards Billy in chapter 17?
(a) Lieutenant Ratcliffe.
(b) The afterguardsman.
(c) John Claggart.
(d) The Dansker.
5. What happens to Captain Vere after he is wounded?
(a) He survives, but never commands another vessel.
(b) He is court-martialed.
(c) He dies.
(d) He remains on the island.
6. What does the chaplain feel is better than religion for facing judgment?
7. How is Billy's body prepared for burial?
(a) It is wrapped in the torn topsail.
(b) It is placed in a pine box.
(c) It is wrapped in his hammock.
(d) It is stuffed into a canvas sack.
8. Which two characters are Claggart's messmates?
(a) The master-at-arms and the chief mate.
(b) The chief mate and the bosun.
(c) The armorer and the captain of the hold.
(d) Captain Vere and the master-at-arms.
9. Why does the Captain feel that Billy must be punished?
(a) Because someone must pay for Claggart's death.
(b) To prevent a mutiny.
(c) The captain is trying to cover up his own mistakes.
(d) Because Billy is a malicious murderer.
10. In chapter 23, when is the crew called together?
(a) An hour past dogwatch.
(b) At sunset.
(c) An hour before dogwatch.
(d) At dogwatch.
11. How does Billy respond to Claggart's accusation?
(a) He screams obscenities.
(b) He hits him.
(c) He faints.
(d) He stutters.
12. What concerns the officers in chapter 20?
(a) The manner in which the captain is handling Claggart's death.
(b) The impending storms on the horizon.
(c) The morale of the crew.
(d) The manner in which Claggart dies suddenly.
13. What penalty does the court consider for Billy in chapter 22?
14. Why does the crew of the Bellipotent save pieces of the sacred item?
(a) To worship.
(b) They believe it prevents mutiny.
(c) To honor Captain Vere.
(d) They don't think Billy is capable of murder or mutiny.
15. In chapter 16, what does Billy refuse to believe?
(a) That the Bellipotent can sink.
(b) That Claggart is behind the mischief that plagues him.
(c) That Captain Vere is corrupt.
(d) That Lieutenant Ratcliffe is behind the mischief that plagues him.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who encourages the court to consider the death penalty during Billy's trial?
2. Why does Billy hesitate when asked about his knowledge of a potential insurrection?
3. In chapter 25, what does the crew cry in unison?
4. Who visits Billy in chapter 24?
5. Which ship does the Bellipotent engage in chapter 28?
This section contains 497 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)