Final Test - Easy
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In chapter 18, which character does the captain consider promoting?
(a) The Dansker.
(b) John Claggart.
(c) Lieutenant Ratcliffe.
(d) Billy Budd.
2. What changes about the way that the rest of the men treat Billy Budd?
(a) They look at him suspiciously.
(b) They treat him as a saint.
(c) They gang up on him in anger.
(d) There is no change to the way the men aboard ship treat him.
3. Why does Billy hesitate when asked about his knowledge of a potential insurrection?
(a) He fears the afterguardsman kills him.
(b) He does not want to tattle on a fellow crew member.
(c) He feels guilty about his involvement.
(d) He is afraid he stutters.
4. What interesting thing does the Bellipotent see approaching them on the water in Chapter 18?
(a) An enemy ship.
(b) A fisherman's boat.
(c) A gang of sharks.
(d) A mermaid.
5. What is unusual about Billy's death?
(a) He dies smiling.
(b) His hair turns completely white.
(c) His eyes do not close.
(d) His body does not spasm.
6. What is the name of the ship that the Bellipotent finds itself at battle with?
(a) The Athway.
(b) The Athash.
(c) The Athouwi.
(d) The Athee.
7. What are Billy Budd's final words?
(a) "Long live Captain Vere!"
(b) "God bless you, Captain Vere!"
(c) "A curse upon you, Captain Vere!"
(d) "The Lord be with you, Captain Vere!"
8. Why do the sailors begin to gossip about what is happening in the Captain's cabin?
(a) Because the Captain has been inside for so long.
(b) Because they could overhear bits of what the Captain was saying.
(c) Because they all saw Billy murder Claggart.
(d) Because when the court was dismissed, they told the sailors to brace themselves.
9. How does the surgeon react to the Captain's judgment of Billy Budd's actions?
(a) He is disturbed.
(b) He is enraged.
(c) He is apathetic.
(d) He is relieved.
10. At the end of the novel, what does the narrator inform the reader about the story that he has been telling them from the beginning?
(a) That he is Billy Budd.
(b) That it is based on fact.
(c) That he made it up as he went along.
(d) That it is based on fiction.
11. What astonishes Captain Vere about the report he receives in chapter 18?
(a) The albatross is sitting on the topmast.
(b) He thinks the Bellipotent is the fastest ship on the water.
(c) John Claggart is named as a conspirator.
(d) Billy Budd is named as a conspirator.
12. At what time are the sailors called to hear an announcement?
(a) 6:00 a.m.
(b) 8:00 a.m.
(c) 7:00 a.m.
(d) 9:00 a.m.
13. How does Billy react to Dansker's accusation of who is in charge of the mutiny?
(a) Billy is amazed at Dansker's wisdom.
(b) Billy is angered by Dansker's accusation.
(c) Billy does not believe Dansker's accusation.
(d) Billy thinks that Dansker is just a crazy old man.
14. Which other characters has odd weather changes occur during his death?
(a) Admiral Nelson.
(d) Captain Bligh.
15. After his death, what do the sailors conclude about Billy's involvement in the murder and plotting the mutiny?
(a) That Billy killed Claggart, but was not capable of plotting the mutiny.
(b) That Billy plotted in the mutiny but did not kill Claggart.
(c) That Billy certainly completed both acts.
(d) That Billy was not capable of acting in either.
Short Answer Questions
1. What type of expression does the witness notice on the Captain's face as he exits Billy Budd's holding room?
2. Where is Billy buried?
3. How does Meville characterize Billy?
4. What does the chaplain come to speak to Billy about?
5. Why doesn't the chaplain try to intervene on Billy's behalf?
This section contains 647 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)