|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In chapter 18, which character reports suspicious behavior of a sailor to Captain Vere?
(a) Lieutenant Ratcliffe.
(b) John Claggart.
(c) The Dansker.
(d) Billy Budd.
2. Melville compares Billy's death to the death of which other person?
(a) Captain Bligh.
(c) Admiral Nelson.
3. What hits Captain Vere in chapter 28?
(a) A wayward jib.
(b) A musket ball.
(c) A dagger.
(d) A falling spar.
4. In chapter 18, which character does the captain consider promoting?
(a) The Dansker.
(b) Billy Budd.
(c) Lieutenant Ratcliffe.
(d) John Claggart.
5. What does the chaplain feel is better than religion for facing judgment?
6. How does Melville characterize sailors in general?
(a) Childlike and trusting.
(b) Deceptive and vicious.
(c) Irritable and aggressive.
(d) Lazy and stupid.
7. What does the chaplain give Billy in chapter 24?
(a) A bible.
(b) A medal of honor.
(c) A kiss on the cheek.
(d) A cross.
8. How is Billy's body prepared for burial?
(a) It is placed in a pine box.
(b) It is stuffed into a canvas sack.
(c) It is wrapped in his hammock.
(d) It is wrapped in the torn topsail.
9. What happens to Captain Vere after he is wounded?
(a) He survives, but never commands another vessel.
(b) He is court-martialed.
(c) He remains on the island.
(d) He dies.
10. Why doesn't the surgeon question the captain's orders?
(a) He is dim-witted and cannot see any problem.
(b) He fears the captain might shoot him.
(c) Disobeying orders is mutiny.
(d) He has great respect for the captain.
11. What item from the Bellipotent becomes sacred to the crew?
(a) The jib.
(b) The torn topsail.
(c) The spar.
(d) The medallion.
12. What is unusual about Billy's death?
(a) His eyes do not close.
(b) His hair turns completely white.
(c) He dies smiling.
(d) His body does not spasm.
13. In chapter 25, what does the crew cry in unison?
(a) "Handsome is as handsome does it, too!"
(b) "Let him go!"
(c) "God bless Captain Vere!"
(d) "Handsomely done, my lad!"
14. Who encourages the court to consider the death penalty during Billy's trial?
(a) The first lieutenant
(b) The captain of marines.
(c) The master-at-arms.
(d) Captain Vere.
15. What is a drumhead court?
(a) An informal legal hearing held at sea.
(b) Slang for a meeting in the captain's quarters.
(c) Slang for a mob.
(d) A formal legal hearing in the presence of an admiral.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where is Billy confined in chapter 24?
2. To what famous item does Melville compare the sacred item from the Bellipotent?
3. Where is Billy taken in chapter 19?
4. What penalty does the court consider for Billy in chapter 22?
5. Which ship does the Bellipotent engage in chapter 28?
This section contains 437 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)