|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. At what time of the morning is Billy brought out to be executed?
(a) 1:00 in the morning.
(b) 2:00 in the morning.
(c) 4:00 in the morning.
(d) 3:00 in the morning.
2. What does the narrator state would happen if one pointed out distrust to people on land?
(a) They would not even recognize it.
(b) They would distrust you for pointing it out.
(c) They would be surprised by its presence.
(d) They would ignore you.
3. How does Captain Vere treat Billy in chapter 22?
(a) With compassion.
(b) He ignores Billy's presence.
(c) With contempt.
(d) He breates his behavior.
4. How do the sailors respond to Billy Budd's final words?
(a) They are outraged by them.
(b) They begin weeping over them.
(c) They laugh at them.
(d) They repeat them.
5. What does the final rendition of Billy Budd's life and death, as accepted by the naval authorities, state about Billy Budd's heritage?
(a) That he was no Englishman.
(b) That he was a disgraced Englishman.
(c) That he was a disgraced Spaniard.
(d) That he was a prime example of an Englishman.
6. With whom do the other sailors agree with over Billy Budd's punishment?
(b) The Captain.
(c) The Surgeon.
(d) The Admiral.
7. In which article are the events on the Bellipotent published?
(a) "News from the Mediterranean."
(b) "Mutiny on the High Seas."
(c) "Insurrection Prevented."
(d) "A Tale from the Royal Navy."
8. Where are the real events that occur on the Bellipotent recorded?
(a) In the chaplain's diary.
(b) In top secret naval records.
(c) In the memories of those who witness them.
(d) In Captain Vere's diary.
9. Which character stares at Billy with a meditative and melancholy expression in chapter 17?
(a) The afterguardsman.
(b) The Dansker.
(c) Lieutenant Ratcliffe.
(d) John Claggart.
10. What does the Captain say in response to Billy's recounting of the events?
(a) "You are the devil."
(b) "I believe you."
(c) " I do not believe you."
(d) "You are an angel."
11. Which two groups of people does Melville compare in chapter 16?
(a) Officers and Deckhands.
(b) Army soldiers and Naval sailors.
(c) Sailors and Landsmen.
(d) Men and Women.
12. What odd weather appears the moment of Billy's death?
(a) A vapory fleece.
(b) A rumbling storm.
(c) Heat lightning.
(d) A green sky.
13. What is the condition of Billy's white sailor suit at the time of his execution?
(a) It is torn.
(b) It is pristine.
(c) It is dirty.
(d) It is missing.
14. How is Billy sentenced to be executed?
(a) By being shot.
(b) By being poisoned.
(c) By hanging.
(d) By walking the plank.
15. In chapter 25, what does the crew cry in unison?
(a) "Let him go!"
(b) "God bless Captain Vere!"
(c) "Handsomely done, my lad!"
(d) "Handsome is as handsome does it, too!"
Short Answer Questions
1. In what publication does the account of Billy Budd's life and death appear?
2. Who leads Billy Budd out of the gun room and first addresses the crowd?
3. Which animals appear at Billy's funeral?
4. Where is Billy taken in chapter 19?
5. Who is allowed to communicate with Billy in chapter 23?
This section contains 509 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)