|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why doesn't the chaplain try to intervene on Billy's behalf?
(a) He feels that Billy deserves punishment.
(b) Because Billy does not talk to him.
(c) He is afraid of the captain.
(d) Military law is more powerful than his religious influence.
2. What does the chaplain feel is better than religion for facing judgment?
3. How does Meville characterize Billy?
(a) Innocent and child-like.
(b) Angry and vengeful.
(c) Fearful and timid.
(d) Deceptive and untrustworthy.
4. Where is John Claggart buried?
(a) At sea.
(b) The coast of Timon.
(c) The isle of Mann.
5. Who is the only witness in the trial?
(a) Billy Budd.
(b) The captain.
(d) The valet.
6. Where is Billy buried?
(a) At sea.
(b) On the shores of Timor.
(c) On the Isle of Mann.
(d) In England.
7. Melville compares Billy's death to the death of which other person?
(a) Captain Bligh.
(c) Admiral Nelson.
8. What time is dogwatch?
(a) 6:00 a.m.
(b) 6:00 p.m.
(c) 3:00 p.m.
(d) 3:00 a.m.
9. To what famous item does Melville compare the sacred item from the Bellipotent?
(a) The Queen's crown.
(b) The Bible.
(c) The cross.
(d) The Star of David.
10. Which two groups of people does Melville compare in chapter 16?
(a) Men and Women.
(b) Sailors and Landsmen.
(c) Army soldiers and Naval sailors.
(d) Officers and Deckhands.
11. What happens to Captain Vere after he is wounded?
(a) He is court-martialed.
(b) He remains on the island.
(c) He dies.
(d) He survives, but never commands another vessel.
12. What is attributed to will power in chapter 26?
(a) The lack of death spasm in Billy's body.
(b) The captain's decision to proceed with Billy's punishment.
(c) The admiral's decision to proceed with Billy's punishment.
(d) A man's decision to witness death and stay on board.
13. Which country does the rival ship in chapter 28 represent?
14. In chapter 17, how does Claggart react when he and Billy suddenly meet?
(a) He clears his throat and looks down.
(b) His eyes flash and his face reddens.
(c) He does not acknowledge Billy's presence.
(d) He moves aside and nods hello.
15. Why does the crew assemble together in chapter 25?
(a) To protest Billy's punishment.
(b) To witness an execution.
(c) To witness a keelhauling.
(d) To witness a flogging.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Billy hesitate when asked about his knowledge of a potential insurrection?
2. Which two characters are Claggart's messmates?
3. What does the chaplain give Billy in chapter 24?
4. According to Melville, what makes sailors different from non-sailors?
5. How does Claggart die?
This section contains 478 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)