|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why do the sailors begin to gossip about what is happening in the Captain's cabin?
(a) Because when the court was dismissed, they told the sailors to brace themselves.
(b) Because the Captain has been inside for so long.
(c) Because they all saw Billy murder Claggart.
(d) Because they could overhear bits of what the Captain was saying.
2. In chapter 16, what does Billy refuse to believe?
(a) That Captain Vere is corrupt.
(b) That the Bellipotent can sink.
(c) That Claggart is behind the mischief that plagues him.
(d) That Lieutenant Ratcliffe is behind the mischief that plagues him.
3. What is unusual about Billy's death?
(a) He dies smiling.
(b) His eyes do not close.
(c) His hair turns completely white.
(d) His body does not spasm.
4. What of the following best describes the type of funeral that Claggart is given?
(b) Large and raucous.
(c) Small but formal.
5. How does Claggart die?
(a) Captain Vere shoots him.
(b) Billy hits him.
(c) The valet stabs him.
(d) He hangs himself.
6. What does the chaplain feel is better than religion for facing judgment?
7. What excuse does Billy give for hitting Claggart?
(a) He is told to do so by the afterguardsman.
(b) He is unable to speak.
(c) He is bi-polar.
(d) Claggart threatens to kill him.
8. How does the narrator describe Billy's mentality as he waits for death?
9. In the article about the Bellipotent, how is John Claggart presented?
(a) As a hero who discovers a mutinous plot.
(b) As a misunderstood officer.
(c) As a foreigner who is conscripted into the navy.
(d) As an honest, hard working victim.
10. Why does Billy think that he is being called into the Captain's chambers in Chapter 19?
(a) To be questioned about the mutiny.
(b) To report about the weather.
(c) To receive a promotion.
(d) To spy on the enemy ship.
11. What does Billy state is the reason that he kills Claggart?
(a) He states that he killed Claggart for embarrassing the Captain.
(b) He states that he killed Claggart for his mutinous plots.
(c) He states that he killed Claggart for being a liar.
(d) He states that he did not intend to kill Claggart.
12. What is one explanation given for the odd nature of Billy's death?
(d) The weather.
13. What does the Captain request from the informant of Billy's alleged mutiny?
(a) Proof of Billy's conspiracy.
(b) The murder of Billy Budd.
(c) A reliable witness to Billy's conspiracy.
(d) Written documentation of Billy's plans.
14. What, even from the hanging, is a point of contention for many who witness it?
(a) The way Billy's body hung from the rope.
(b) The way the rope was wrapped around Billy's neck.
(c) Billy's final words.
(d) The way Billy's body was removed from the noose.
15. What does one of Billy's fellow sailors create as a tribute to his fallen shipmate?
(a) A medallion.
(b) A sculpture.
(c) A plaque.
(d) A poem.
Short Answer Questions
1. The sailors are called to hear the announcement from the Captain during which interestingly named shift?
2. How many renditions of Billy Budd's story are preserved by the English Navy after his death?
3. How does Meville characterize Billy?
4. What is the title of the ballad of Billy Budd?
5. What does the Chaplain give to Billy before he leaves him in the gun room?
This section contains 573 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)