|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In chapter 25, what does the crew cry in unison?
(a) "Let him go!"
(b) "God bless Captain Vere!"
(c) "Handsomely done, my lad!"
(d) "Handsome is as handsome does it, too!"
2. Why doesn't the surgeon question the captain's orders?
(a) He has great respect for the captain.
(b) Disobeying orders is mutiny.
(c) He fears the captain might shoot him.
(d) He is dim-witted and cannot see any problem.
3. Why does the Captain feel that Billy must be punished?
(a) The captain is trying to cover up his own mistakes.
(b) Because Billy is a malicious murderer.
(c) Because someone must pay for Claggart's death.
(d) To prevent a mutiny.
4. What happens to Captain Vere after he is wounded?
(a) He survives, but never commands another vessel.
(b) He remains on the island.
(c) He dies.
(d) He is court-martialed.
5. What does the chaplain give Billy in chapter 24?
(a) A bible.
(b) A medal of honor.
(c) A cross.
(d) A kiss on the cheek.
6. Who witnesses Billy's funeral?
(a) The chaplain and members of the drumhead court.
(b) The chaplain and Captain Vere.
(c) The entire crew.
(d) A few of Billy's closest friends.
7. To which biblical figure does Melville compare Claggart?
(d) A Pharisee.
8. How does Captain Vere treat Billy in chapter 22?
(a) He ignores Billy's presence.
(b) He breates his behavior.
(c) With compassion.
(d) With contempt.
9. What astonishes Captain Vere about the report he receives in chapter 18?
(a) The albatross is sitting on the topmast.
(b) He thinks the Bellipotent is the fastest ship on the water.
(c) Billy Budd is named as a conspirator.
(d) John Claggart is named as a conspirator.
10. Why does the crew assemble together in chapter 25?
(a) To witness an execution.
(b) To witness a flogging.
(c) To witness a keelhauling.
(d) To protest Billy's punishment.
11. What is "Billy in the Darbies"?
(a) An article on Billy's planned mutiny.
(b) A ballad honoring Billy's memory.
(c) A sculpture honoring Billy's memory.
(d) A painting honoring Billy's memory.
12. Who visits Billy in chapter 24?
(a) Red Whiskers.
(b) Lieutenant Ratcliffe.
(c) The Dansker.
(d) The chaplain.
13. Which two characters are Claggart's messmates?
(a) Captain Vere and the master-at-arms.
(b) The master-at-arms and the chief mate.
(c) The armorer and the captain of the hold.
(d) The chief mate and the bosun.
14. How does Billy react to his impending doom?
(a) He curses.
(c) With anger.
(d) By crying loudly.
15. Who encourages the court to consider the death penalty during Billy's trial?
(a) The captain of marines.
(b) The master-at-arms.
(c) The first lieutenant
(d) Captain Vere.
Short Answer Questions
1. What item from the Bellipotent becomes sacred to the crew?
2. What sentence does the court render in chapter 23?
3. What penalty does the court consider for Billy in chapter 22?
4. What event occurs after Billy's funeral?
5. Who is the only witness in the trial?
This section contains 462 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)