|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why doesn't the surgeon question the captain's orders?
(a) Disobeying orders is mutiny.
(b) He has great respect for the captain.
(c) He is dim-witted and cannot see any problem.
(d) He fears the captain might shoot him.
2. How does Melville characterize sailors in general?
(a) Lazy and stupid.
(b) Irritable and aggressive.
(c) Deceptive and vicious.
(d) Childlike and trusting.
3. Where is Billy buried?
(a) At sea.
(b) On the Isle of Mann.
(c) In England.
(d) On the shores of Timor.
4. How does Captain Vere treat Billy in chapter 22?
(a) He breates his behavior.
(b) With contempt.
(c) With compassion.
(d) He ignores Billy's presence.
5. What does Captain Vere tell the surgeon to call?
(a) To arms.
(b) Admiral Nelson.
(d) A drumhead court.
6. What are Captain Vere's last words?
(a) "God bless Captain Vere."
(b) "Handsome is as handsome does it."
(c) "Billy Budd."
(d) "Handsomely done, my lad!"
7. How does Billy respond to Claggart's accusation?
(a) He stutters.
(b) He faints.
(c) He screams obscenities.
(d) He hits him.
8. Why does the captain ask Claggart to confront Billy?
(a) Because he is afraid of Billy.
(b) To see if Claggart is brave enough for promotion.
(c) Confronting Billy breaks the captain's heart.
(d) To see which man is telling the truth.
9. In chapter 18, which character does the captain consider promoting?
(a) Billy Budd.
(b) Lieutenant Ratcliffe.
(c) John Claggart.
(d) The Dansker.
10. Who visits Billy in chapter 24?
(a) Lieutenant Ratcliffe.
(b) Red Whiskers.
(c) The Dansker.
(d) The chaplain.
11. To which biblical figure does Melville compare Claggart?
(c) A Pharisee.
12. Why does the crew assemble together in chapter 25?
(a) To witness a keelhauling.
(b) To witness an execution.
(c) To protest Billy's punishment.
(d) To witness a flogging.
13. How is Billy's body prepared for burial?
(a) It is placed in a pine box.
(b) It is stuffed into a canvas sack.
(c) It is wrapped in his hammock.
(d) It is wrapped in the torn topsail.
14. How does Claggart die?
(a) Captain Vere shoots him.
(b) Billy hits him.
(c) The valet stabs him.
(d) He hangs himself.
15. Melville compares Billy's death to the death of which other person?
(c) Admiral Nelson.
(d) Captain Bligh.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the chaplain feel is better than religion for facing judgment?
2. Which character is the hammock-boy sent to find in chapter 18?
3. In chapter 20, what does the surgeon want to do?
4. What penalty does the court consider for Billy in chapter 22?
5. What does Captain Vere tell his crew in chapter 23?
This section contains 426 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)