|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where is John Claggart buried?
(a) The isle of Mann.
(c) At sea.
(d) The coast of Timon.
2. Who visits Billy in chapter 24?
(a) The Dansker.
(b) Red Whiskers.
(c) Lieutenant Ratcliffe.
(d) The chaplain.
3. Where is Billy buried?
(a) In England.
(b) On the Isle of Mann.
(c) On the shores of Timor.
(d) At sea.
4. What happens to Captain Vere after he is wounded?
(a) He is court-martialed.
(b) He remains on the island.
(c) He survives, but never commands another vessel.
(d) He dies.
5. How does the chase in chapter 18 end?
(a) The albatross lands on the topmast.
(b) The frigate escapes.
(c) The dolphins submerge.
(d) The merchant ship surrenders.
6. Which ship does the Bellipotent engage in chapter 28?
(a) The Theseus.
(b) The Agamemnon.
(c) The Athiest.
(d) The Rights-of-Man.
7. What odd weather appears the moment of Billy's death?
(a) Heat lightning.
(b) A green sky.
(c) A rumbling storm.
(d) A vapory fleece.
8. Who is the only witness in the trial?
(a) The captain.
(b) Billy Budd.
(c) The valet.
9. Whom do the officers want to contact?
(a) The admiral.
(b) The Queen.
(c) The captain.
(d) The master-at-arms.
10. In chapter 16, what does Billy refuse to believe?
(a) That Claggart is behind the mischief that plagues him.
(b) That Lieutenant Ratcliffe is behind the mischief that plagues him.
(c) That the Bellipotent can sink.
(d) That Captain Vere is corrupt.
11. What are Captain Vere's last words?
(a) "Handsomely done, my lad!"
(b) "God bless Captain Vere."
(c) "Billy Budd."
(d) "Handsome is as handsome does it."
12. How does Billy react to his impending doom?
(a) By crying loudly.
(b) With anger.
(c) He curses.
13. In chapter 23, when is the crew called together?
(a) At dogwatch.
(b) An hour before dogwatch.
(c) An hour past dogwatch.
(d) At sunset.
14. When is Billy due to be executed?
(a) At midnight.
(b) In the early morning watch.
(c) As soon as the ship lands.
(d) After a legal trial on shore.
15. What is one explanation given for the odd nature of Billy's death?
(d) The weather.
Short Answer Questions
1. In chapter 25, what does the crew cry in unison?
2. Which country does the rival ship in chapter 28 represent?
3. What is unusual about Billy's death?
4. Where does Captain Vere send Billy after Claggart's death?
5. To what does Melville attribute the general attitude of most sailors?
This section contains 429 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)