|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is unusual about Billy's death?
(a) His eyes do not close.
(b) He dies smiling.
(c) His body does not spasm.
(d) His hair turns completely white.
2. How does Captain Vere treat Billy in chapter 22?
(a) With compassion.
(b) He breates his behavior.
(c) With contempt.
(d) He ignores Billy's presence.
3. What happens to Captain Vere after he is wounded?
(a) He survives, but never commands another vessel.
(b) He dies.
(c) He remains on the island.
(d) He is court-martialed.
4. What is attributed to will power in chapter 26?
(a) The admiral's decision to proceed with Billy's punishment.
(b) A man's decision to witness death and stay on board.
(c) The captain's decision to proceed with Billy's punishment.
(d) The lack of death spasm in Billy's body.
5. How does the chase in chapter 18 end?
(a) The frigate escapes.
(b) The albatross lands on the topmast.
(c) The merchant ship surrenders.
(d) The dolphins submerge.
6. What event occurs after Billy's funeral?
(a) The customary morning religious service.
(b) A mutiny.
(c) A shipwreck.
(d) An attack by a Spanish frigate.
7. How does Captain Vere appear after he leaves Billy in chapter 22?
(d) Resigned to fate.
8. What appears to end in chapter 17?
(a) Billy and Claggart's friendship.
(b) The dirty tricks.
(c) The storm.
(d) The journey.
9. To what famous item does Melville compare the sacred item from the Bellipotent?
(a) The cross.
(b) The Star of David.
(c) The Queen's crown.
(d) The Bible.
10. What is standard procedure in the event of a suspected murder at sea?
(a) Ice the victim and flog the accused.
(b) Call a court of officers, render and carry out judgement.
(c) Allow the crew to deal with the accused.
(d) Confine the accused and contact the admiral.
11. Which ship does the Bellipotent engage in chapter 28?
(a) The Theseus.
(b) The Rights-of-Man.
(c) The Athiest.
(d) The Agamemnon.
12. Whom do the officers want to contact?
(a) The master-at-arms.
(b) The Queen.
(c) The captain.
(d) The admiral.
13. Where are the real events that occur on the Bellipotent recorded?
(a) In top secret naval records.
(b) In the chaplain's diary.
(c) In Captain Vere's diary.
(d) In the memories of those who witness them.
14. In which article are the events on the Bellipotent published?
(a) "Insurrection Prevented."
(b) "News from the Mediterranean."
(c) "Mutiny on the High Seas."
(d) "A Tale from the Royal Navy."
15. What does one of Billy's fellow sailors create as a tribute to his fallen shipmate?
(a) A plaque.
(b) A medallion.
(c) A poem.
(d) A sculpture.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who visits Billy in chapter 24?
2. Why does the crew of the Bellipotent save pieces of the sacred item?
3. Who prepares Billy's body for burial?
4. Which two characters are Claggart's messmates?
5. What penalty does the court consider for Billy in chapter 22?
This section contains 483 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)