|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is one explanation given for the odd nature of Billy's death?
(d) The weather.
2. What excuse does Billy give for hitting Claggart?
(a) He is unable to speak.
(b) He is bi-polar.
(c) Claggart threatens to kill him.
(d) He is told to do so by the afterguardsman.
3. Where is Billy buried?
(a) In England.
(b) On the shores of Timor.
(c) At sea.
(d) On the Isle of Mann.
4. What time is dogwatch?
(a) 3:00 p.m.
(b) 6:00 p.m.
(c) 6:00 a.m.
(d) 3:00 a.m.
5. Which animals appear at Billy's funeral?
(a) A flock of seagulls.
(b) A school of sharks.
(c) A school of dolphins.
(d) A pair of albatross.
6. Where is Billy taken in chapter 19?
(b) The kitchen.
(c) The brig.
(d) The captain's cabin.
7. What is standard procedure in the event of a suspected murder at sea?
(a) Allow the crew to deal with the accused.
(b) Ice the victim and flog the accused.
(c) Confine the accused and contact the admiral.
(d) Call a court of officers, render and carry out judgement.
8. What does Billy cry out a moment before his punishment is carried out?
(a) "God bless Captain Vere!"
(b) "Be aware, all ye sinners!"
(c) "Handsomely done, my lads!"
(d) "Why has thou forsaken me?"
9. Who witnesses Billy's funeral?
(a) The chaplain and members of the drumhead court.
(b) The entire crew.
(c) A few of Billy's closest friends.
(d) The chaplain and Captain Vere.
10. Why does the captain ask Claggart to confront Billy?
(a) To see which man is telling the truth.
(b) Confronting Billy breaks the captain's heart.
(c) Because he is afraid of Billy.
(d) To see if Claggart is brave enough for promotion.
11. Which two characters begin to suspect Billy of wrongdoing?
(a) The armorer and the captain of the hold.
(b) The master-at-arms and the chief mate.
(c) Captain Vere and the master-at-arms.
(d) The chief mate and the bosun.
12. Where does the crew assemble in chapter 25?
(a) On the shore.
(b) Below decks.
(c) On the mainyard.
(d) In the galley.
13. What does the Bellipotent chase in chapter 18?
(a) An enemy frigate.
(b) An albatross.
(c) A school of dolphins.
(d) An enemy merchant ship.
14. How does the chase in chapter 18 end?
(a) The dolphins submerge.
(b) The frigate escapes.
(c) The albatross lands on the topmast.
(d) The merchant ship surrenders.
15. How does Billy react to his impending doom?
(b) By crying loudly.
(c) With anger.
(d) He curses.
Short Answer Questions
1. In chapter 25, what does the crew cry in unison?
2. To what famous item does Melville compare the sacred item from the Bellipotent?
3. In chapter 20, what does the surgeon want to do?
4. What does one of Billy's fellow sailors create as a tribute to his fallen shipmate?
5. Whom do the officers want to contact?
This section contains 476 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)