|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which animals appear at Billy's funeral?
(a) A pair of albatross.
(b) A school of dolphins.
(c) A school of sharks.
(d) A flock of seagulls.
2. To which biblical figure does Melville compare Claggart?
(c) A Pharisee.
3. Where is Billy confined in chapter 24?
(a) Between two guns.
(b) In the brig.
(c) In the captain's stateroom.
(d) In the cargo hold.
4. How does Captain Vere appear after he leaves Billy in chapter 22?
(b) Resigned to fate.
5. What is "Billy in the Darbies"?
(a) A painting honoring Billy's memory.
(b) A ballad honoring Billy's memory.
(c) An article on Billy's planned mutiny.
(d) A sculpture honoring Billy's memory.
6. To what do most of the crew attribute the odd circumstances surrounding Billy's death?
(a) No logical explanation is found.
(b) The weather.
(c) Mythical sea creatures.
(d) Supernatural forces.
7. Why does the crew assemble together in chapter 25?
(a) To witness a keelhauling.
(b) To witness a flogging.
(c) To witness an execution.
(d) To protest Billy's punishment.
8. What item from the Bellipotent becomes sacred to the crew?
(a) The jib.
(b) The torn topsail.
(c) The medallion.
(d) The spar.
9. What does the Bellipotent chase in chapter 18?
(a) An albatross.
(b) A school of dolphins.
(c) An enemy frigate.
(d) An enemy merchant ship.
10. To what famous item does Melville compare the sacred item from the Bellipotent?
(a) The Queen's crown.
(b) The Bible.
(c) The cross.
(d) The Star of David.
11. Why doesn't the chaplain try to intervene on Billy's behalf?
(a) Because Billy does not talk to him.
(b) Military law is more powerful than his religious influence.
(c) He is afraid of the captain.
(d) He feels that Billy deserves punishment.
12. In chapter 20, what does the surgeon want to do?
(a) Leave the ship.
(b) Have a stiff drink.
(c) Follow standard procedure.
(d) Bury Claggart at sea.
13. Which character is the hammock-boy sent to find in chapter 18?
(a) John Claggart.
(b) Billy Budd.
(c) The Dansker.
(d) Lieutenant Ratcliffe.
14. What time is dogwatch?
(a) 3:00 p.m.
(b) 6:00 p.m.
(c) 3:00 a.m.
(d) 6:00 a.m.
15. What concerns the officers in chapter 20?
(a) The manner in which the captain is handling Claggart's death.
(b) The impending storms on the horizon.
(c) The morale of the crew.
(d) The manner in which Claggart dies suddenly.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who prepares Billy's body for burial?
2. In chapter 23, when is the crew called together?
3. Why does Billy hesitate when asked about his knowledge of a potential insurrection?
4. Which two characters are Claggart's messmates?
5. In chapter 18, which character reports suspicious behavior of a sailor to Captain Vere?
This section contains 469 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)