|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What sentence does the court render in chapter 23?
2. How is Billy's body prepared for burial?
(a) It is wrapped in the torn topsail.
(b) It is wrapped in his hammock.
(c) It is stuffed into a canvas sack.
(d) It is placed in a pine box.
3. What does Billy cry out a moment before his punishment is carried out?
(a) "Handsomely done, my lads!"
(b) "Be aware, all ye sinners!"
(c) "Why has thou forsaken me?"
(d) "God bless Captain Vere!"
4. Who encourages the court to consider the death penalty during Billy's trial?
(a) The master-at-arms.
(b) Captain Vere.
(c) The captain of marines.
(d) The first lieutenant
5. Where is Captain Vere taken after he is wounded?
(a) To the crow's nest.
(b) To shore.
(c) To the galley.
(d) To his stateroom.
6. What happens to Captain Vere after he is wounded?
(a) He is court-martialed.
(b) He remains on the island.
(c) He dies.
(d) He survives, but never commands another vessel.
7. What is a drumhead court?
(a) An informal legal hearing held at sea.
(b) A formal legal hearing in the presence of an admiral.
(c) Slang for a meeting in the captain's quarters.
(d) Slang for a mob.
8. In chapter 23, when is the crew called together?
(a) At sunset.
(b) At dogwatch.
(c) An hour past dogwatch.
(d) An hour before dogwatch.
9. Who is the only witness in the trial?
(b) The captain.
(c) Billy Budd.
(d) The valet.
10. In the article about the Bellipotent, how is John Claggart presented?
(a) As an honest, hard working victim.
(b) As a foreigner who is conscripted into the navy.
(c) As a hero who discovers a mutinous plot.
(d) As a misunderstood officer.
11. What appears to end in chapter 17?
(a) The journey.
(b) The storm.
(c) The dirty tricks.
(d) Billy and Claggart's friendship.
12. Who visits Billy in chapter 24?
(a) Red Whiskers.
(b) The Dansker.
(c) The chaplain.
(d) Lieutenant Ratcliffe.
13. Which two groups of people does Melville compare in chapter 16?
(a) Army soldiers and Naval sailors.
(b) Sailors and Landsmen.
(c) Men and Women.
(d) Officers and Deckhands.
14. What time is dogwatch?
(a) 3:00 p.m.
(b) 6:00 a.m.
(c) 6:00 p.m.
(d) 3:00 a.m.
15. In which article are the events on the Bellipotent published?
(a) "Mutiny on the High Seas."
(b) "Insurrection Prevented."
(c) "News from the Mediterranean."
(d) "A Tale from the Royal Navy."
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Captain Vere appear after he leaves Billy in chapter 22?
2. What concerns the surgeon in chapter 20?
3. What does the chaplain give Billy in chapter 24?
4. What event occurs after Billy's funeral?
5. How does Melville characterize sailors in general?
This section contains 458 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)