|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which two groups of people does Melville compare in chapter 16?
(a) Officers and Deckhands.
(b) Army soldiers and Naval sailors.
(c) Sailors and Landsmen.
(d) Men and Women.
2. Which other characters has odd weather changes occur during his death?
(b) Captain Bligh.
(c) Admiral Nelson.
3. What concerns the officers in chapter 20?
(a) The impending storms on the horizon.
(b) The manner in which Claggart dies suddenly.
(c) The manner in which the captain is handling Claggart's death.
(d) The morale of the crew.
4. In chapter 17, how does Claggart react when he and Billy suddenly meet?
(a) He moves aside and nods hello.
(b) He clears his throat and looks down.
(c) His eyes flash and his face reddens.
(d) He does not acknowledge Billy's presence.
5. Why does Billy hesitate when asked about his knowledge of a potential insurrection?
(a) He is afraid he stutters.
(b) He feels guilty about his involvement.
(c) He fears the afterguardsman kills him.
(d) He does not want to tattle on a fellow crew member.
6. Who is a part of the drumhead court in chapter 21?
(a) The first lieutenant, the captain of marines, and the sailing master.
(b) The first lieutenant, the captain of marines and the master-at-arms.
(c) The chief mate, the master-at-arms, and a boatswain.
(d) The first lieutenant, the master-at-arms, and the chief mate.
7. What does Captain Vere tell the surgeon to call?
(a) Admiral Nelson.
(b) To arms.
(c) A drumhead court.
8. What excuse does Billy give for hitting Claggart?
(a) He is bi-polar.
(b) He is unable to speak.
(c) He is told to do so by the afterguardsman.
(d) Claggart threatens to kill him.
9. Which character stares at Billy with a meditative and melancholy expression in chapter 17?
(a) The afterguardsman.
(b) Lieutenant Ratcliffe.
(c) John Claggart.
(d) The Dansker.
10. How is Billy's body prepared for burial?
(a) It is placed in a pine box.
(b) It is wrapped in the torn topsail.
(c) It is wrapped in his hammock.
(d) It is stuffed into a canvas sack.
11. How does Melville characterize sailors in general?
(a) Deceptive and vicious.
(b) Lazy and stupid.
(c) Childlike and trusting.
(d) Irritable and aggressive.
12. Which character is the hammock-boy sent to find in chapter 18?
(a) Billy Budd.
(b) The Dansker.
(c) Lieutenant Ratcliffe.
(d) John Claggart.
13. Whom do the officers want to contact?
(a) The Queen.
(b) The captain.
(c) The admiral.
(d) The master-at-arms.
14. What penalty does the court consider for Billy in chapter 22?
15. Where is Captain Vere taken after he is wounded?
(a) To his stateroom.
(b) To the crow's nest.
(c) To shore.
(d) To the galley.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to Melville, what makes sailors different from non-sailors?
2. Where does Captain Vere send Billy after Claggart's death?
3. In chapter 18, which character does the captain consider promoting?
4. What astonishes Captain Vere about the report he receives in chapter 18?
5. How does Captain Vere treat Billy in chapter 22?
This section contains 520 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)