|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In what publication does the account of Billy Budd's life and death appear?
(a) In the Naval Newspaper.
(b) In the Naval Chronicle.
(c) In the Sailor's Herald.
(d) In the Captain's Almanac.
2. In which article are the events on the Bellipotent published?
(a) "A Tale from the Royal Navy."
(b) "Insurrection Prevented."
(c) "Mutiny on the High Seas."
(d) "News from the Mediterranean."
3. Who does the surgeon leave his conversation about Billy's death to attend to?
(b) A random sick patient.
(c) Captain Vere.
4. Where is Billy confined in chapter 24?
(a) In the brig.
(b) Between two guns.
(c) In the cargo hold.
(d) In the captain's stateroom.
5. What does the narrator state about Billy's view of his impending execution?
(a) That Billy is terrified of death.
(b) That Billy blames God for his death.
(c) That Billy hopes God will save him from death.
(d) That Billy does not fear death.
6. What do the sailors theorize happens before Billy is hung from the rope?
(a) That Billy was euthanized.
(b) That Billy was transformed into an angel.
(c) That Billy panicked.
(d) That Billy fell asleep.
7. Who tells Billy of his sentence?
(a) Captain Vere.
(b) The valet.
(c) Lieutenant Ratcliffe.
(d) The admiral.
8. What is "Billy in the Darbies"?
(a) A painting honoring Billy's memory.
(b) A sculpture honoring Billy's memory.
(c) A ballad honoring Billy's memory.
(d) An article on Billy's planned mutiny.
9. What sentence does the court render in chapter 23?
10. What punishment does the Captain dole out to Billy Budd in response to the murder of Claggart?
(a) Heavy labor.
11. What does one of Billy's fellow sailors create as a tribute to his fallen shipmate?
(a) A sculpture.
(b) A poem.
(c) A plaque.
(d) A medallion.
12. What type of expression does the witness notice on the Captain's face as he exits Billy Budd's holding room?
(a) A look of anguish.
(b) A look of exultance.
(c) A look of terror.
(d) A look of confusion.
13. How does Billy respond to Claggart's accusation?
(a) He hits him.
(b) He stutters.
(c) He screams obscenities.
(d) He faints.
14. How does the surgeon react to the Captain's judgment of Billy Budd's actions?
(a) He is disturbed.
(b) He is enraged.
(c) He is relieved.
(d) He is apathetic.
15. How does the Captain react to the accusations brought against Billy Budd by the man informing him of the potential mutiny?
(a) He is doubtful.
(b) He is amused.
(c) He is enraged.
(d) He is frightened.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where are the real events that occur on the Bellipotent recorded?
2. In chapter 18, which character does the captain consider promoting?
3. What does Captain Vere tell the surgeon to call?
4. At what time are the sailors called to hear an announcement?
5. Which of the following does NOT lead to the Captain making a hasty judgment of Billy's actions?
This section contains 517 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)