|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why is Billy on the uppermost deck in chapter 14?
(a) He is smoking.
(b) He is sleeping.
(c) He is mending the topsail.
(d) He is on watch.
2. What is a mutiny?
(a) A trial held at sea by the capain and three officers.
(b) When subordinate sailors attempt to illegally sieze control of a ship.
(c) A legal election process in which the captain of a vessel is replaced.
(d) A traditional sailor's dance.
3. When does the Spithead mutiny occur?
(a) August of 1697.
(b) September of 1897.
(c) January of 1924.
(d) April of 1797.
4. How old is Jon Claggart when he enters the Navy?
5. Which two characters are contrasted in chapter 12?
(a) The Dansker and Red Whiskers.
(b) Captain Vere and Claggart.
(c) Billy and Claggart.
(d) Captain Vere and Lieutenant Ratcliffe.
6. In chapter 15, which character appears to be conspiring to destroy Billy's character?
(a) John Claggart.
(b) Lieutenant Ratcliffe.
(c) The Dansker.
(d) Red Whiskers.
7. What is a "cat's paw"?
(a) The joint between the mainsail and the topsail.
(b) A person who does another's dirty work.
(c) Slang for an anchor.
(d) A part of a cat.
8. What one item changes the face of warfare?
(b) The sword.
(c) The crossbow.
(d) The longbow.
9. What is Captain Vere cited for in West Indian waters?
10. Which act does Claggart believe is an intentional attempt to offend him?
(a) The spilled soup.
(b) The scourging.
(c) The ripped topsail.
(d) The rolled bucket.
11. When does the incident in chapter 10 occur?
12. How do Captain Vere's officers view their commander's seafaring skills?
(d) Riddled with inconsistencies.
13. What is a "Handsome Sailor"?
(a) The name of Captain Graveling's merchant ship.
(b) The name of William Bligh's frigate.
(c) A sailor who is attractive, strong, ethical and a natural leader.
(d) The dashing sailor who has a girl in every port.
14. How does Claggart respond to the incident in chapter 10?
(a) "You fool!"
(b) He is silent.
(c) "Handsomely done, my lad!"
(d) "The fates are agin' us!"
15. In chapter two, how does Billy react to his new shipmates?
(a) He is sad and gloomy.
(b) He is cheerful and friendly.
(c) He is afraid of the older sailors.
(d) He is easily angered.
Short Answer Questions
1. What type of personal life does Captain Vere lead?
2. Which Captain is involved in the mutiny at Nore?
3. What is Billy and Claggart's relationship like after they begin working together on the Bellipotent?
4. What attitude does Captain Vere gain from his studies?
5. Which character is known for his simplicity and naiveté?
This section contains 494 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)