|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How do the other sailors aboard the ship react to Captain Vere's collection?
(a) They are saddened by it.
(b) They are apathetic to it.
(c) They are angered by it.
(d) They are excited by it.
2. How do the rest of the sailors respond to Claggart's reaction over Billy Budd's spill?
(a) They are saddened.
(b) They have no reaction.
(c) They are amused.
(d) They are terrified.
3. What is Billy and Claggart's relationship like before they sail together on the Bellipotent?
(a) The do not know each other before sailing on the Bellepotent.
(b) They are bitter enemies since childhood.
(c) They are close friends in childhood, but later drift apart.
(d) They are friends until Billy falls in love with Claggart's sister.
4. What does Billy inadvertently spill on Claggart in the mess hall?
5. Which character is known for his malicious envy?
(a) Billy Budd.
(b) Captain Vere.
(c) Lieutenant Ratcliffe.
(d) John Claggart.
6. Which of the following best describes Captain Vere's attitude?
7. How do the other sailors react to Claggart in chapter 10?
(a) They erupt into a violent melee.
(b) They quickly man their stations.
(c) They laugh the incident off as a joke.
(d) They are fearfully silent.
8. What elements of ship's life are mirrored in the world outside the ship?
(a) Storms are balanced with calm days.
(b) Terror rules the masses.
(c) People only obey when forced to do so.
(d) Life is unfair.
9. In chapter four, which sailor is hailed as the greatest of all time?
(a) Admiral Nelson.
(b) Captain Graveling.
(c) Captain Vere.
(d) Captain Bligh.
10. What does Billy threaten to do to the mysterious man?
(a) Hang him from the rafters.
(b) Slit his throat.
(c) Throw him overboard.
(d) Turn him in to the Captain.
11. What affliction plagues Billy when he is nervous?
(a) He blushes.
(b) He shakes.
(c) He stutters.
(d) He sweats.
12. Which character does Squeak create lies about?
(a) Captain Vere.
(d) Lieutenant Ratcliffe.
13. How does Admiral Nelson keep his sailors under control?
(a) Bribing them.
(b) The threat of death.
(c) Terrorizing them into submission.
(d) By winning their admiration.
14. Where does the first recorded mutiny of the British Navy occur?
15. To what attribute does Captain Vere's nickname refer to?
(a) His daydreaming.
(b) His moodswings.
(c) His temper.
(d) His aloofness.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following is NOT used to describe John Claggart?
2. The narrator states that Claggart pales in comparison to Billy Budd in all of these categories except one. Which of the following does the narrator NOT mention in comparison of the two men?
3. Which act does Claggart believe is an intentional attempt to offend him?
4. What is Admiral Sir Horatio Nelson wearing on the day that he dies?
5. Which character is considered by others to be the most attractive in every aspect?
This section contains 485 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)