|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which character is known for his malicious envy?
(a) Lieutenant Ratcliffe.
(b) Captain Vere.
(c) John Claggart.
(d) Billy Budd.
2. What uncomfortable incident occurs in chapter 10?
(a) The entire crew is disciplined for one sailor's error.
(b) Soup is spilled when the ship lurches.
(c) An empty bucket rolls down the gangplank and hits the captain.
(d) The topsail rips in a sudden gust of wind.
3. Which character is known for his cheerful disposition?
(a) Billy Budd.
(b) Lieutenant Ratcliffe.
(c) Captain Vere.
(d) John Claggart.
4. What nickname does Billy's older friend give him?
(a) Baby Budd.
(c) Billy Boy.
(d) Prince William.
5. What does the sailor in chapter 14 want Billy to join?
(a) A chess club.
(b) A special forces troop.
(c) His ministry.
(d) A mutiny.
6. What does Andrew Marvell create that commemorates Captain Vere?
(a) A medallion.
(b) A poem.
(c) A sculpture.
(d) A bawdy tavern song.
7. Who is Billy's father?
(a) Captain Graveling.
(b) George Budd, a merchant sailor.
(c) He is a foundling, and doesn't know his father.
(d) Captain Bligh.
8. Which character is considered by others to be the most attractive in every aspect?
(a) John Claggart.
(b) Lieutenant Ratcliffe.
(c) Billy Budd.
(d) Captain Vere.
9. When does the Spithead mutiny occur?
(a) August of 1697.
(b) September of 1897.
(c) April of 1797.
(d) January of 1924.
10. Why does Melville claim that certain men are morally depraved?
(a) Because their licentious behavior makes them depraved.
(b) Because they are forced into depravity by their living conditions.
(c) Because cruel treatment breeds cruelty.
(d) Because they are not entirely sane.
11. What is Billy's responsibility on board the ship?
(a) To be responsible for the ship's cargo and crew.
(b) To maintain order on the lower gun decks.
(c) To handle the sails on the foremast.
(d) To plan the day's work and assign tasks to the deck crew.
12. What one item changes the face of warfare?
(a) The longbow.
(b) The crossbow.
(d) The sword.
13. What is Billy and Claggart's relationship like after they begin working together on the Bellipotent?
(a) Billy and Claggart are good friends.
(b) Billy hates Claggart, who is too dull to recognize his animosity.
(c) Claggart hates Billy, who is too naive to recognize his animosity.
(d) Billy and Claggart hate each other viciously.
14. Which mutiny is referred to as "the Great Mutiny"?
15. What does Billy threaten to do to the sailor in chapter 14?
(a) Tie him up.
(b) Give him a hug.
(c) Stab him with a paring knife.
(d) Throw him overboard.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which character does Squeak create lies about?
2. What is the greatest fear in the British Navy?
3. When does the incident in chapter 10 occur?
4. Why does Billy join the British navy?
5. In chapter four, which sailor is hailed as the greatest of all time?
This section contains 470 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)