|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is Squeak?
(a) Claggart's secret accomplice.
(b) The bosun.
(c) Claggart's pet mouse.
(d) The ship's cook.
2. Which character is described in chapter 11 as being "down" on Billy?
(a) John Claggart.
(b) The Dansker.
(c) Captain Vere.
(d) Lieutenant Ratcliffe.
3. Why is Billy reprimanded in chapter nine?
(a) He knocks over a full bucket in front of the captain.
(b) He is caught eating in the crow's nest.
(c) He falls asleep while on watch.
(d) Someone is playing tricks on him that get him in trouble.
4. Who is Red Whiskers?
(a) The ship's cat.
(b) The Captain of the HMS Bellipotent.
(c) The Captain of the Rights-of-Man
(d) Billy's big, shaggy red-haired friend.
5. Which Captain is involved in the mutiny at Nore?
(a) Captain Budd.
(b) Captain Graveling.
(c) Captain Bligh.
(d) Captain Vere.
6. Which character does Squeak create lies about?
(c) Lieutenant Ratcliffe.
(d) Captain Vere.
7. What decoration marks the Victory's quarterdeck?
(a) A crescent moon.
(b) A star.
(c) An albatross.
(d) A medallion.
8. What does another sailor try to give Billy in chapter 14?
(a) A package of dates.
(c) The wrong rope.
9. How do Captain Vere's officers view their commander's personality?
(a) Obnoxious and temperamental..
(b) Relaxed and friendly.
(c) Paranoid and superstitious
(d) Dry and bookish.
10. Which two characters are contrasted in chapter 12?
(a) The Dansker and Red Whiskers.
(b) Billy and Claggart.
(c) Captain Vere and Claggart.
(d) Captain Vere and Lieutenant Ratcliffe.
11. What is John Claggart's position on the ship?
(a) Chief Mate.
12. In chapter 14, how does Billy react to the sailor's request?
(a) He is curious.
(b) He is angry.
(c) He is frightened.
(d) He is excited.
13. What does Billy threaten to do to the sailor in chapter 14?
(a) Stab him with a paring knife.
(b) Throw him overboard.
(c) Give him a hug.
(d) Tie him up.
14. What elements of ship's life are mirrored in the world outside the ship?
(a) Life is unfair.
(b) Storms are balanced with calm days.
(c) People only obey when forced to do so.
(d) Terror rules the masses.
15. How do Captain Vere's officers view their commander's seafaring skills?
(d) Riddled with inconsistencies.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Captain Vere's favorite hobby?
2. Which famous character does the Victory's quarterdeck decoration commemorate?
3. Which battle does the Victory's quarterdeck decoration commemorate?
4. When does the incident in chapter 10 occur?
5. What is Captain Vere cited for in West Indian waters?
This section contains 384 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)