|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In chapter four, which sailor is hailed as the greatest of all time?
(a) Captain Bligh.
(b) Captain Graveling.
(c) Admiral Nelson.
(d) Captain Vere.
2. Who causes the uncomfortable incident in chapter 10?
(b) Lieutenant Ratcliffe.
(c) Red Whiskers.
3. How old is John Claggart?
4. What word does Claggart use to describe the spill?
5. What is Billy's position on the ship?
(b) Chief Mate.
6. Who does the narrator describe as having "a natural apathy toward other humans"?
(b) Captain Vere.
(c) Billy Budd.
(d) John Claggart.
7. Which character is known for his cheerful disposition?
(a) Captain Vere.
(b) John Claggart.
(c) Billy Budd.
(d) Lieutenant Ratcliffe.
8. What elements of ship's life are mirrored in the world outside the ship?
(a) Storms are balanced with calm days.
(b) People only obey when forced to do so.
(c) Terror rules the masses.
(d) Life is unfair.
9. What is John Claggart's responsibility on board the ship?
(a) To handle the sails on the foremast.
(b) To plan the day's work and assign tasks to the deck crew.
(c) To be responsible for the ship's cargo and crew.
(d) To maintain order on the lower gun decks.
10. Where does the one sailor that does not like Billy Budd stick a knife on Billy's body?
(a) In his ribs.
(b) In his back.
(c) In his neck.
(d) In his heart.
11. Which philosopher is named by the narrator as being of particular interest to Captain Vere?
(a) St. Thomas Aquinas.
(b) Michael de Montaigne.
(d) John Locke.
12. What does the narrator explain is the true nature of the relationship between Billy Budd and John Claggart?
(a) John Claggart despises Billy Budd.
(b) John Claggart is in love with Billy Budd.
(c) Billy Budd is in love with John Claggart.
(d) Billy Budd despises John Claggart.
13. What is Admiral Nelson's position aboard ship before he is promoted?
(a) Front Admiral.
(b) Back Admiral.
(c) Rear Admiral.
(d) Side Admiral.
14. What is Andrew Marvall's profession?
(a) A painter.
(b) A sculptor.
(c) A poet.
(d) A dancer.
15. In chapter two, how does Billy react to his new shipmates?
(a) He is afraid of the older sailors.
(b) He is sad and gloomy.
(c) He is easily angered.
(d) He is cheerful and friendly.
Short Answer Questions
1. How is Captain Vere treated when he is on land?
2. What is the nickname that Captain Vere is given by his sailors?
3. Who states that it is envy driving Claggart to want to harm Billy?
4. What does the narrator claim is the most dangerous part of Claggart's evil?
5. What interesting item does Captain Vere always bring aboard ship when he returns from land?
This section contains 471 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)