|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why do personalities seem clash more aboard a ship?
(a) Weeks of seasickness makes the crew irritable.
(b) The stress of working for a harsh captain makes the crew irate.
(c) Sailors are usually tempremental in nature.
(d) Sailors live in close quarters for long periods of time.
2. Which types of historical figures are often compared to Billy?
(a) Greek heros.
(b) Biblical prophets.
(c) Noble sailors.
(d) Medieval knights.
3. What is Captain Vere cited for in West Indian waters?
4. Which two characters are contrasted in chapter 12?
(a) The Dansker and Red Whiskers.
(b) Billy and Claggart.
(c) Captain Vere and Lieutenant Ratcliffe.
(d) Captain Vere and Claggart.
5. Why is Billy reprimanded in chapter nine?
(a) He falls asleep while on watch.
(b) Someone is playing tricks on him that get him in trouble.
(c) He is caught eating in the crow's nest.
(d) He knocks over a full bucket in front of the captain.
6. How does the sailor Billy threatened in chapter 14 react to Billy in chapter 15?
(a) He is timid.
(b) He is very aggressive.
(c) He refuses to look Billy in the eye.
(d) He is very friendly.
7. Which battle does the Victory's quarterdeck decoration commemorate?
8. Which country is described as ruling the seas?
(b) The United States.
9. In chapter two, how does Billy react to his new shipmates?
(a) He is easily angered.
(b) He is cheerful and friendly.
(c) He is sad and gloomy.
(d) He is afraid of the older sailors.
10. What is a possible cause for Claggart's behavior towards Billy?
11. How does Billy react to Claggart in chapter 10?
(a) He hits Claggart in the face.
(b) He thinks Claggart likes him.
(c) He runs to the captain.
(d) He begins to curse and shout at Claggart.
12. What is Billy's position on the ship?
(c) Chief Mate.
13. What does the sailor in chapter 14 want Billy to join?
(a) A chess club.
(b) A special forces troop.
(c) A mutiny.
(d) His ministry.
14. Which character is described in chapter 11 as being "down" on Billy?
(a) Captain Vere.
(b) Lieutenant Ratcliffe.
(c) The Dansker.
(d) John Claggart.
15. What type of personal life does Captain Vere lead?
(a) One filled with a just a few close friends.
(b) One filled with many friends and jovialty.
(c) Bitter and morose.
Short Answer Questions
1. When does the incident in chapter 10 occur?
2. Which character is known for this neat, careful dress?
3. What often causes a mutiny?
4. What is the greatest fear in the British Navy?
5. In chapter 15, which character is Billy's confidant?
This section contains 439 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)