|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which character is known for his simplicity and naiveté?
(a) Billy Budd.
(b) John Claggart.
(c) Captain Vere.
(d) Lieutenant Ratcliffe.
2. How is John Claggart's appearance described in chapter eight?
(a) Pale and fat with dark red hair.
(b) Dark and swarthy with long black hair.
(c) Handsome and strong with blue eyes and blond hair.
(d) Pale and effeminate with curly black hair.
3. How does the sailor Billy threatened in chapter 14 react to Billy in chapter 15?
(a) He refuses to look Billy in the eye.
(b) He is very friendly.
(c) He is very aggressive.
(d) He is timid.
4. What does the sailor in chapter 14 want Billy to join?
(a) A special forces troop.
(b) A chess club.
(c) A mutiny.
(d) His ministry.
5. What elements of ship's life are mirrored in the world outside the ship?
(a) Storms are balanced with calm days.
(b) People only obey when forced to do so.
(c) Life is unfair.
(d) Terror rules the masses.
6. Who commands the Bellipotent in chapter six?
(a) Captain Graveling.
(b) Captain Bligh.
(c) Admiral Nelson.
(d) Captain Vere.
7. Who is Billy's father?
(a) George Budd, a merchant sailor.
(b) Captain Graveling.
(c) He is a foundling, and doesn't know his father.
(d) Captain Bligh.
8. Who is responsible for the tricks being played on Billy?
(a) The Dansker.
(b) Red Whiskers.
(c) John Claggart.
(d) Lieutenant Ratcliffe.
9. What is Billy's responsibility on board the ship?
(a) To maintain order on the lower gun decks.
(b) To be responsible for the ship's cargo and crew.
(c) To plan the day's work and assign tasks to the deck crew.
(d) To handle the sails on the foremast.
10. How does Billy react to Claggart in chapter 10?
(a) He thinks Claggart likes him.
(b) He begins to curse and shout at Claggart.
(c) He hits Claggart in the face.
(d) He runs to the captain.
11. What is Billy's one weakness?
(a) He loves women.
(b) He gets seasick during rough weather.
(c) He stutters.
(d) He drinks.
12. What is Captain Vere cited for in West Indian waters?
13. How does John Claggart earn his promotions?
(a) Unbeknownst to the crew, he is related to the captian.
(b) He blackmails his superiors.
(c) Through a series of bribes.
(d) Through his exemplary behavior and austere patriotism.
14. What often causes a mutiny?
(b) Sailors who drink too much and fight.
(c) Unhappy sailors.
(d) A sudden gust of wind.
15. What causes Billy to lose his voice on occasion?
(d) An odd genetic malfunction.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who causes the uncomfortable incident in chapter 10?
2. What is a "cat's paw"?
3. Who is Billy Budd?
4. What uncomfortable incident occurs in chapter 10?
5. What is Captain Vere's favorite hobby?
This section contains 498 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)