|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who causes the uncomfortable incident in chapter 10?
(a) Lieutenant Ratcliffe.
(b) Red Whiskers.
2. What is Captain Vere's nickname?
(a) The Stalwart.
(c) Gentleman Vere.
(d) Starry Vere.
3. How is John Claggart's appearance described in chapter eight?
(a) Pale and fat with dark red hair.
(b) Pale and effeminate with curly black hair.
(c) Handsome and strong with blue eyes and blond hair.
(d) Dark and swarthy with long black hair.
4. What one item changes the face of warfare?
(a) The crossbow.
(c) The sword.
(d) The longbow.
5. Which mutiny is discussed in chapter five?
6. What often causes a mutiny?
(a) Unhappy sailors.
(b) A sudden gust of wind.
(c) Sailors who drink too much and fight.
7. What event motivates Billy to excel in his duties?
(a) A scourging.
(b) A hanging.
(c) His promotion.
(d) A keelhauling.
8. Which character is deceived by Squeak's lies?
(a) Captain Vere.
(b) Lieutenant Ratcliffe.
9. What is John Claggart's responsibility on board the ship?
(a) To be responsible for the ship's cargo and crew.
(b) To handle the sails on the foremast.
(c) To plan the day's work and assign tasks to the deck crew.
(d) To maintain order on the lower gun decks.
10. How old is Jon Claggart when he enters the Navy?
11. What is Billy and Claggart's relationship like before they sail together on the Bellipotent?
(a) The do not know each other before sailing on the Bellepotent.
(b) They are friends until Billy falls in love with Claggart's sister.
(c) They are close friends in childhood, but later drift apart.
(d) They are bitter enemies since childhood.
12. Which character does Squeak create lies about?
(c) Captain Vere.
(d) Lieutenant Ratcliffe.
13. How does John Claggart earn his promotions?
(a) Through a series of bribes.
(b) Unbeknownst to the crew, he is related to the captian.
(c) Through his exemplary behavior and austere patriotism.
(d) He blackmails his superiors.
14. How old is Billy?
15. Who commands the Bellipotent in chapter six?
(a) Admiral Nelson.
(b) Captain Bligh.
(c) Captain Vere.
(d) Captain Graveling.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which battle does the Victory's quarterdeck decoration commemorate?
2. Who is Red Whiskers?
3. Why doesn't Captain Graveling want Billy to leave the ship?
4. Which character remains cheerful, despite clandestine attempts of persecution?
5. What other name is a reference to Captain Vere?
This section contains 412 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)