|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does the sailor Billy threatened in chapter 14 react to Billy in chapter 15?
(a) He is very friendly.
(b) He is very aggressive.
(c) He is timid.
(d) He refuses to look Billy in the eye.
2. Why does Billy join the British navy?
(a) His best friend is joining up and convinces him to follow.
(b) He wants to defend his country.
(c) His father is a naval Captain.
(d) He is conscripted into service.
3. How do the other sailors react to Claggart in chapter 10?
(a) They are fearfully silent.
(b) They laugh the incident off as a joke.
(c) They erupt into a violent melee.
(d) They quickly man their stations.
4. What is the greatest fear in the British Navy?
(a) A tsunami.
(d) Losing the sextant.
5. What is a "Handsome Sailor"?
(a) The dashing sailor who has a girl in every port.
(b) The name of Captain Graveling's merchant ship.
(c) A sailor who is attractive, strong, ethical and a natural leader.
(d) The name of William Bligh's frigate.
6. What does Billy never do before?
(a) Be associated with evil.
(b) Tell a lie.
(d) Speak to the captain.
7. What is Billy's one weakness?
(a) He drinks.
(b) He loves women.
(c) He stutters.
(d) He gets seasick during rough weather.
8. What does another sailor try to give Billy in chapter 14?
(a) A package of dates.
(c) The wrong rope.
9. What is John Claggart's position on the ship?
(a) Chief Mate.
10. How does Admiral Nelson keep his sailors under control?
(a) Bribing them.
(b) The threat of death.
(c) Terrorizing them into submission.
(d) By winning their admiration.
11. What is Billy's position on the ship?
(b) Chief Mate.
12. Where does the first recorded mutiny of the British Navy occur?
13. Why is Billy on the uppermost deck in chapter 14?
(a) He is smoking.
(b) He is sleeping.
(c) He is on watch.
(d) He is mending the topsail.
14. How do Captain Vere's officers view their commander's personality?
(a) Obnoxious and temperamental..
(b) Paranoid and superstitious
(c) Relaxed and friendly.
(d) Dry and bookish.
15. Which act does Claggart believe is an intentional attempt to offend him?
(a) The scourging.
(b) The ripped topsail.
(c) The spilled soup.
(d) The rolled bucket.
Short Answer Questions
1. In chapter four, which naval commander is hailed as one of the greatest strategists of all time?
2. Who is Billy's father?
3. Which character is known for his cheerful disposition?
4. In chapter 15, what does Billy think he should report to the captain?
5. Who causes the uncomfortable incident in chapter 10?
This section contains 440 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)