|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Captain Vere cited for in West Indian waters?
2. In chapter 15, what does Billy think he should report to the captain?
(a) A possible mutiny.
(b) A possible fight.
(c) His behavior.
(d) The changing weather.
3. What does Billy threaten to do to the sailor in chapter 14?
(a) Throw him overboard.
(b) Stab him with a paring knife.
(c) Tie him up.
(d) Give him a hug.
4. Which character does Squeak play tricks on?
(b) Captain Vere.
(d) Lieutenant Ratcliffe.
5. Which types of historical figures are often compared to Billy?
(a) Greek heros.
(b) Biblical prophets.
(c) Noble sailors.
(d) Medieval knights.
6. What does Billy never do before?
(a) Be associated with evil.
(c) Speak to the captain.
(d) Tell a lie.
7. Which mutiny is discussed in chapter five?
8. Why does Billy join the British navy?
(a) His father is a naval Captain.
(b) He wants to defend his country.
(c) His best friend is joining up and convinces him to follow.
(d) He is conscripted into service.
9. What is John Claggart's responsibility on board the ship?
(a) To handle the sails on the foremast.
(b) To be responsible for the ship's cargo and crew.
(c) To maintain order on the lower gun decks.
(d) To plan the day's work and assign tasks to the deck crew.
10. What is a possible cause for Claggart's behavior towards Billy?
11. Why doesn't Captain Graveling want Billy to leave the ship?
(a) Billy is a natural peacemaker.
(b) He suspects Billy is plotting a mutiny.
(c) Billy often gets drunk when he goes on leave.
(d) He suspects Billy goes AWOL.
12. Which battle does the Victory's quarterdeck decoration commemorate?
13. Who is Billy Budd?
(a) A young native African who dresses in colorful clothes.
(b) A thief and troublemaker.
(c) The captain of the HMS Bellipotent.
(d) A young fair-skinned, blue eyed foretopman.
14. Which mutiny is referred to as "the Great Mutiny"?
15. What is Captain Vere's nickname?
(a) Starry Vere.
(b) The Stalwart.
(c) Gentleman Vere.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Billy react to Claggart in chapter 10?
2. What is Billy's responsibility on board the ship?
3. How do Captain Vere's officers view their commander's personality?
4. Why do personalities seem clash more aboard a ship?
5. How does John Claggart earn his promotions?
This section contains 494 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)