|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the narrator think about the gossip coming from the sailors in regards to John Claggart's history?
(a) He agrees with it.
(b) He disagrees with it.
(c) He does not have an opinion about it.
(d) He dismisses it.
2. Who states that it is envy driving Claggart to want to harm Billy?
(c) The narrator.
(d) Billy Budd.
3. What does the narrator claim these new technologies in battle lead to?
(a) A less barbaric battle.
(b) A less poetic battle.
(c) A more poetic battle.
(d) A more barbaric battle.
4. What does Claggart use as a reason to justify tormenting Billy Budd?
(a) Billy Budd's torment of Squeak.
(b) The spilled soup incident.
(c) Dansker's reports to Claggart.
(d) Billy Budd's good looks.
5. What type of personal life does Captain Vere lead?
(a) Bitter and morose.
(b) One filled with a just a few close friends.
(d) One filled with many friends and jovialty.
6. Returning to the mutinies of 1797, how many of the sailors' requests are met by those in charge?
(a) The story does not say how many requests were met.
(b) Some, but not all requests were met.
(c) None of the requests were met.
(d) All of the requests were met.
7. Which mutiny is referred to as "the Great Mutiny"?
8. What does the narrator claim is the most dangerous part of Claggart's evil?
(a) The way that his evil turns violent.
(b) The way that he flaunts his evil to everyone around him.
(c) The nasty temper that is attached to it.
(d) The fact that it is so well hidden.
9. Why is Admiral Nelson chosen to be promoted as captain of the mutinous ship?
(a) Because his family had the most money.
(b) Because he was the strongest in battle.
(c) Because he was the most terrifying to the men.
(d) Because he had a winning personality.
10. What book does Billy regularly read from?
(a) From the Bible.
(b) From a sailor's handbook.
(c) From a weather guide.
(d) Billy is illiterate.
11. What is Billy and Claggart's relationship like after they begin working together on the Bellipotent?
(a) Billy and Claggart hate each other viciously.
(b) Billy hates Claggart, who is too dull to recognize his animosity.
(c) Claggart hates Billy, who is too naive to recognize his animosity.
(d) Billy and Claggart are good friends.
12. What is the greatest fear in the British Navy?
(a) Losing the sextant.
(b) A tsunami.
13. Which mutiny is discussed in chapter five?
14. Who does Claggart bump into as he is walking away from Billy Budd's spill?
(a) A drummer boy.
(b) Captain Vere.
(c) A young scrubwoman.
(d) The Master-of-Arms.
15. Which character is considered by others to be the most attractive in every aspect?
(a) Captain Vere.
(b) John Claggart.
(c) Billy Budd.
(d) Lieutenant Ratcliffe.
Short Answer Questions
1. How do the rest of the sailors respond to Claggart's reaction over Billy Budd's spill?
2. What one item changes the face of warfare?
3. How many historical mutinies does the narrator tell the reader about?
4. Who does Dansker say is behind the potential mutiny?
5. Which character is killed at the Battle of Trafalgar?
This section contains 527 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)