|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which character is considered by others to be the most attractive in every aspect?
(a) Billy Budd.
(b) Lieutenant Ratcliffe.
(c) Captain Vere.
(d) John Claggart.
2. What attitude does Captain Vere gain from his studies?
(a) An air of superiority about the technical aspects of the ship.
(b) The penchant for waxing philosophical while on deck.
(c) Very firm convictions and a slightly pedantic outlook.
(d) An unhealthy interest in omens and the supernatural.
3. Why doesn't Captain Graveling want Billy to leave the ship?
(a) He suspects Billy goes AWOL.
(b) Billy is a natural peacemaker.
(c) Billy often gets drunk when he goes on leave.
(d) He suspects Billy is plotting a mutiny.
4. How is discipline maintained on the Bellipotent?
(a) In a relaxed fashion, almost too relaxed for Admiral Nelson.
(b) Through a monetary system of rewards and penalties.
(c) Strictly, but with fair consideration to the welfare of the sailors.
(d) With unnecessary cruelty.
5. In chapter 14, what does Billy say to the sailor?
(a) He screams in anger.
(b) He whispers his consent.
(c) He stutters a refusal.
(d) He whoops and shouts for joy.
6. Which types of books does Captain Vere prefer?
(a) Greek mythology and seafaring stories.
(b) Biography, History and Classical authors.
(c) Shakespearean dramas and Romance novels.
(d) Technical manuals and Mathematical theorems.
7. What does the sailor in chapter 14 want Billy to join?
(a) A mutiny.
(b) A special forces troop.
(c) A chess club.
(d) His ministry.
8. What is Billy and Claggart's relationship like before they sail together on the Bellipotent?
(a) They are friends until Billy falls in love with Claggart's sister.
(b) The do not know each other before sailing on the Bellepotent.
(c) They are close friends in childhood, but later drift apart.
(d) They are bitter enemies since childhood.
9. What often causes a mutiny?
(a) Sailors who drink too much and fight.
(b) Unhappy sailors.
(c) A sudden gust of wind.
10. In chapter two, how does Billy react to his new shipmates?
(a) He is easily angered.
(b) He is cheerful and friendly.
(c) He is sad and gloomy.
(d) He is afraid of the older sailors.
11. In chapter four, which naval commander is hailed as one of the greatest strategists of all time?
(a) Captain Graveling.
(b) Admiral Nelson.
(c) Captain Vere.
(d) Captain Bligh.
12. Which Captain is involved in the mutiny at Nore?
(a) Captain Vere.
(b) Captain Budd.
(c) Captain Bligh.
(d) Captain Graveling.
13. In chapter 15, which character appears to be conspiring to destroy Billy's character?
(a) Red Whiskers.
(b) John Claggart.
(c) Lieutenant Ratcliffe.
(d) The Dansker.
14. How is John Claggart's appearance described in chapter eight?
(a) Handsome and strong with blue eyes and blond hair.
(b) Dark and swarthy with long black hair.
(c) Pale and fat with dark red hair.
(d) Pale and effeminate with curly black hair.
15. How do Captain Vere's officers view their commander's seafaring skills?
(c) Riddled with inconsistencies.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Captain Vere's favorite hobby?
2. What is John Claggart's position on the ship?
3. How does John Claggart earn his promotions?
4. What is Captain Vere cited for in West Indian waters?
5. How do the other sailors react to Claggart in chapter 10?
This section contains 541 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)