|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Billy's reaction to his new assignment to join the King's fleet?
(a) He is upset.
(b) He is apathetic.
(c) He is thrilled.
(d) He is terrified.
2. What does the narrator state about John Claggart's character that differs from the other sailors' perception of him?
(a) John Claggart is a deep intellectual.
(b) John Claggart is devoutly religious.
(c) John Claggart is a hard worker.
(d) John Claggart is emotionally sensitive.
3. What is the plan that the mysterious man bribes Billy to be a part of?
(a) An escape.
(b) A theft.
(c) A murder.
(d) A mutiny.
4. Why doesn't Captain Graveling want Billy to leave the ship?
(a) He suspects Billy goes AWOL.
(b) Billy often gets drunk when he goes on leave.
(c) He suspects Billy is plotting a mutiny.
(d) Billy is a natural peacemaker.
5. What are the authorities afraid of in meeting the mutinous sailors' requests?
(a) That the sailors would come up with more requests.
(b) That the sailors would continue to mutiny every time they had a request.
(c) That the sailors would all kill each other.
(d) That the sailors would kill them even if their requests were met.
6. In what year does Billy Budd's story take place?
7. What is John Claggart's responsibility on board the ship?
(a) To maintain order on the lower gun decks.
(b) To handle the sails on the foremast.
(c) To be responsible for the ship's cargo and crew.
(d) To plan the day's work and assign tasks to the deck crew.
8. Where is Billy sleeping when he is awakened by a strange man?
(a) On the upper deck.
(b) In the mess hall.
(c) On the lower deck.
(d) In the gallies.
9. What is John Claggart's position on the ship?
(c) Chief Mate.
10. How old is John Claggart?
11. What is the greatest fear in the British Navy?
(c) A tsunami.
(d) Losing the sextant.
12. What is a mutiny?
(a) A trial held at sea by the capain and three officers.
(b) A traditional sailor's dance.
(c) A legal election process in which the captain of a vessel is replaced.
(d) When subordinate sailors attempt to illegally sieze control of a ship.
13. What is the name of Billy Budd's old ship?
(a) The Rights of the King.
(b) The Rights of Sailors.
(c) The Rights of Man.
(d) The Rights of Women.
14. Who does Billy Budd seek guidance from, in regards to the potential mutiny?
(c) Captain Vere.
15. How many historical mutinies does the narrator tell the reader about?
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Billy threaten to do to the sailor in chapter 14?
2. How does Billy respond to the man's bribe?
3. What is the nickname for a sailor who is good-looking and a great leader?
4. Which character is considered by others to be the most attractive in every aspect?
5. Which battle does the Victory's quarterdeck decoration commemorate?
This section contains 502 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)