|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which character is described in chapter 11 as being "down" on Billy?
(a) Lieutenant Ratcliffe.
(b) The Dansker.
(c) John Claggart.
(d) Captain Vere.
2. What type of personal life does Captain Vere lead?
(b) One filled with a just a few close friends.
(c) Bitter and morose.
(d) One filled with many friends and jovialty.
3. How do Captain Vere's officers view their commander's seafaring skills?
(a) Riddled with inconsistencies.
4. What event occurring on land mirrors a naval mutiny?
(a) A revolution.
(b) A democratic election.
(c) A trial.
(d) A public execution.
5. What does the sailor in chapter 14 want Billy to join?
(a) A mutiny.
(b) A special forces troop.
(c) His ministry.
(d) A chess club.
6. Which character is known for his cheerful disposition?
(a) Captain Vere.
(b) John Claggart.
(c) Lieutenant Ratcliffe.
(d) Billy Budd.
7. Which naval ship does Billy serve on?
(a) HMS Bellipotent.
(b) The Theseus.
(d) HMS Pinafore.
8. What attitude does Captain Vere gain from his studies?
(a) An unhealthy interest in omens and the supernatural.
(b) An air of superiority about the technical aspects of the ship.
(c) Very firm convictions and a slightly pedantic outlook.
(d) The penchant for waxing philosophical while on deck.
9. What is Billy's responsibility on board the ship?
(a) To handle the sails on the foremast.
(b) To be responsible for the ship's cargo and crew.
(c) To maintain order on the lower gun decks.
(d) To plan the day's work and assign tasks to the deck crew.
10. Who is Squeak?
(a) The bosun.
(b) Claggart's pet mouse.
(c) The ship's cook.
(d) Claggart's secret accomplice.
11. In chapter 14, what does Billy say to the sailor?
(a) He stutters a refusal.
(b) He screams in anger.
(c) He whoops and shouts for joy.
(d) He whispers his consent.
12. Why does Melville claim that certain men are morally depraved?
(a) Because they are not entirely sane.
(b) Because their licentious behavior makes them depraved.
(c) Because they are forced into depravity by their living conditions.
(d) Because cruel treatment breeds cruelty.
13. Who is Billy Budd?
(a) The captain of the HMS Bellipotent.
(b) A thief and troublemaker.
(c) A young fair-skinned, blue eyed foretopman.
(d) A young native African who dresses in colorful clothes.
14. In chapter two, how does Billy react to his new shipmates?
(a) He is cheerful and friendly.
(b) He is sad and gloomy.
(c) He is easily angered.
(d) He is afraid of the older sailors.
15. In chapter 15, which character appears to be conspiring to destroy Billy's character?
(a) The Dansker.
(b) John Claggart.
(c) Red Whiskers.
(d) Lieutenant Ratcliffe.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which character does Squeak create lies about?
2. Which famous character does the Victory's quarterdeck decoration commemorate?
3. What nickname does Billy's older friend give him?
4. What event motivates Billy to excel in his duties?
5. How is discipline maintained on the Bellipotent?
This section contains 483 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)