|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Claggart respond to the incident in chapter 10?
(a) "You fool!"
(b) "The fates are agin' us!"
(c) He is silent.
(d) "Handsomely done, my lad!"
2. When does the incident in chapter 10 occur?
3. What is Captain Vere's nickname?
(a) Starry Vere.
(b) The Stalwart.
(d) Gentleman Vere.
4. What uncomfortable incident occurs in chapter 10?
(a) An empty bucket rolls down the gangplank and hits the captain.
(b) Soup is spilled when the ship lurches.
(c) The entire crew is disciplined for one sailor's error.
(d) The topsail rips in a sudden gust of wind.
5. Which character remains cheerful, despite clandestine attempts of persecution?
(c) Captain Vere.
(d) Lieutenant Ratcliffe.
6. What is Billy and Claggart's relationship like after they begin working together on the Bellipotent?
(a) Billy and Claggart hate each other viciously.
(b) Billy hates Claggart, who is too dull to recognize his animosity.
(c) Claggart hates Billy, who is too naive to recognize his animosity.
(d) Billy and Claggart are good friends.
7. Which character is deceived by Squeak's lies?
(a) Captain Vere.
(c) Lieutenant Ratcliffe.
8. What is John Claggart's responsibility on board the ship?
(a) To be responsible for the ship's cargo and crew.
(b) To handle the sails on the foremast.
(c) To plan the day's work and assign tasks to the deck crew.
(d) To maintain order on the lower gun decks.
9. How is John Claggart's appearance described in chapter eight?
(a) Dark and swarthy with long black hair.
(b) Pale and fat with dark red hair.
(c) Pale and effeminate with curly black hair.
(d) Handsome and strong with blue eyes and blond hair.
10. Which types of books does Captain Vere prefer?
(a) Biography, History and Classical authors.
(b) Greek mythology and seafaring stories.
(c) Technical manuals and Mathematical theorems.
(d) Shakespearean dramas and Romance novels.
11. Why is Billy reprimanded in chapter nine?
(a) Someone is playing tricks on him that get him in trouble.
(b) He is caught eating in the crow's nest.
(c) He falls asleep while on watch.
(d) He knocks over a full bucket in front of the captain.
12. What is a possible cause for Claggart's behavior towards Billy?
13. How do Captain Vere's officers view their commander's seafaring skills?
(c) Riddled with inconsistencies.
14. Why does Melville claim that certain men are morally depraved?
(a) Because they are not entirely sane.
(b) Because cruel treatment breeds cruelty.
(c) Because they are forced into depravity by their living conditions.
(d) Because their licentious behavior makes them depraved.
15. What other name is a reference to Captain Vere?
(b) Bligh's player.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which battle does the Victory's quarterdeck decoration commemorate?
2. How old is Jon Claggart when he enters the Navy?
3. What type of personal life does Captain Vere lead?
4. How does Billy react to Claggart in chapter 10?
5. What is Billy and Claggart's relationship like before they sail together on the Bellipotent?
This section contains 538 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)