|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is John Claggart's position on the ship?
(a) Chief Mate.
2. What is Billy's one weakness?
(a) He loves women.
(b) He gets seasick during rough weather.
(c) He stutters.
(d) He drinks.
3. How does Claggart respond to the incident in chapter 10?
(a) "Handsomely done, my lad!"
(b) "You fool!"
(c) "The fates are agin' us!"
(d) He is silent.
4. Why does Melville claim that certain men are morally depraved?
(a) Because cruel treatment breeds cruelty.
(b) Because they are not entirely sane.
(c) Because their licentious behavior makes them depraved.
(d) Because they are forced into depravity by their living conditions.
5. Why doesn't Captain Graveling want Billy to leave the ship?
(a) He suspects Billy is plotting a mutiny.
(b) He suspects Billy goes AWOL.
(c) Billy is a natural peacemaker.
(d) Billy often gets drunk when he goes on leave.
6. What uncomfortable incident occurs in chapter 10?
(a) The topsail rips in a sudden gust of wind.
(b) An empty bucket rolls down the gangplank and hits the captain.
(c) The entire crew is disciplined for one sailor's error.
(d) Soup is spilled when the ship lurches.
7. How does John Claggart earn his promotions?
(a) He blackmails his superiors.
(b) Unbeknownst to the crew, he is related to the captian.
(c) Through a series of bribes.
(d) Through his exemplary behavior and austere patriotism.
8. How is discipline maintained on the Bellipotent?
(a) Strictly, but with fair consideration to the welfare of the sailors.
(b) With unnecessary cruelty.
(c) Through a monetary system of rewards and penalties.
(d) In a relaxed fashion, almost too relaxed for Admiral Nelson.
9. How does Admiral Nelson keep his sailors under control?
(a) Terrorizing them into submission.
(b) By winning their admiration.
(c) Bribing them.
(d) The threat of death.
10. What is Captain Vere cited for in West Indian waters?
11. In chapter 14, how does Billy react to the sailor's request?
(a) He is frightened.
(b) He is curious.
(c) He is angry.
(d) He is excited.
12. In chapter four, which naval commander is hailed as one of the greatest strategists of all time?
(a) Admiral Nelson.
(b) Captain Vere.
(c) Captain Bligh.
(d) Captain Graveling.
13. Which two characters are contrasted in chapter 12?
(a) Captain Vere and Claggart.
(b) Captain Vere and Lieutenant Ratcliffe.
(c) Billy and Claggart.
(d) The Dansker and Red Whiskers.
14. How do Captain Vere's officers view their commander's personality?
(a) Obnoxious and temperamental..
(b) Dry and bookish.
(c) Relaxed and friendly.
(d) Paranoid and superstitious
15. Which character is known for this neat, careful dress?
(a) Lieutenant Ratcliffe.
(b) Billy Budd.
(c) Captain Vere.
(d) John Claggart.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Billy and Claggart's relationship like after they begin working together on the Bellipotent?
2. Why is Billy on the uppermost deck in chapter 14?
3. Where does the first recorded mutiny of the British Navy occur?
4. Who causes the uncomfortable incident in chapter 10?
5. How does Billy react to Claggart in chapter 10?
This section contains 522 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)