|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which character remains cheerful, despite clandestine attempts of persecution?
(a) Lieutenant Ratcliffe.
(b) Captain Vere.
2. How do the other sailors react to Claggart in chapter 10?
(a) They laugh the incident off as a joke.
(b) They erupt into a violent melee.
(c) They are fearfully silent.
(d) They quickly man their stations.
3. How does the sailor Billy threatened in chapter 14 react to Billy in chapter 15?
(a) He refuses to look Billy in the eye.
(b) He is very friendly.
(c) He is very aggressive.
(d) He is timid.
4. How does Admiral Nelson keep his sailors under control?
(a) By winning their admiration.
(b) Terrorizing them into submission.
(c) Bribing them.
(d) The threat of death.
5. What does the sailor in chapter 14 want Billy to join?
(a) A chess club.
(b) A special forces troop.
(c) A mutiny.
(d) His ministry.
6. Where does the first recorded mutiny of the British Navy occur?
7. Which character is considered by others to be the most attractive in every aspect?
(a) John Claggart.
(b) Lieutenant Ratcliffe.
(c) Billy Budd.
(d) Captain Vere.
8. What type of personal life does Captain Vere lead?
(b) One filled with many friends and jovialty.
(c) Bitter and morose.
(d) One filled with a just a few close friends.
9. Which types of books does Captain Vere prefer?
(a) Shakespearean dramas and Romance novels.
(b) Biography, History and Classical authors.
(c) Greek mythology and seafaring stories.
(d) Technical manuals and Mathematical theorems.
10. Why doesn't Captain Graveling want Billy to leave the ship?
(a) Billy is a natural peacemaker.
(b) He suspects Billy goes AWOL.
(c) He suspects Billy is plotting a mutiny.
(d) Billy often gets drunk when he goes on leave.
11. Why is John Claggart's background a mystery to the crew?
(a) He becomes very nervous and quiet around authority figures.
(b) He never talks to anyone about his past.
(c) He receives mysterious letters that he burns after reading.
(d) He appears to have noble bearing and enters naval service later in life.
12. In chapter 15, which character appears to be conspiring to destroy Billy's character?
(a) Lieutenant Ratcliffe.
(b) John Claggart.
(c) Red Whiskers.
(d) The Dansker.
13. How does John Claggart earn his promotions?
(a) Through his exemplary behavior and austere patriotism.
(b) Unbeknownst to the crew, he is related to the captian.
(c) He blackmails his superiors.
(d) Through a series of bribes.
14. What other name is a reference to Captain Vere?
(b) Bligh's player.
15. Why does Melville claim that certain men are morally depraved?
(a) Because they are not entirely sane.
(b) Because they are forced into depravity by their living conditions.
(c) Because their licentious behavior makes them depraved.
(d) Because cruel treatment breeds cruelty.
Short Answer Questions
1. In chapter 14, how does Billy react to the sailor's request?
2. What is Billy and Claggart's relationship like before they sail together on the Bellipotent?
3. Which act does Claggart believe is an intentional attempt to offend him?
4. What is John Claggart's responsibility on board the ship?
5. How is discipline maintained on the Bellipotent?
This section contains 589 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)