|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 29.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Billy join the British navy?
(a) His father is a naval Captain.
(b) He wants to defend his country.
(c) His best friend is joining up and convinces him to follow.
(d) He is conscripted into service.
2. Which Captain is involved in the mutiny at Nore?
(a) Captain Graveling.
(b) Captain Vere.
(c) Captain Bligh.
(d) Captain Budd.
3. Which character is deceived by Squeak's lies?
(b) Lieutenant Ratcliffe.
(d) Captain Vere.
4. How does John Claggart earn his promotions?
(a) Through his exemplary behavior and austere patriotism.
(b) Through a series of bribes.
(c) He blackmails his superiors.
(d) Unbeknownst to the crew, he is related to the captian.
5. Why does the captain ask Claggart to confront Billy?
(a) To see if Claggart is brave enough for promotion.
(b) To see which man is telling the truth.
(c) Because he is afraid of Billy.
(d) Confronting Billy breaks the captain's heart.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which character stares at Billy with a meditative and melancholy expression in chapter 17?
2. In chapter 18, which character does the captain consider promoting?
3. Who witnesses Billy's funeral?
4. What causes Billy to lose his voice on occasion?
5. In the article about the Bellipotent, how is Billy Budd presented?
This section contains 254 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)