|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 29.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How do Captain Vere's officers view their commander's seafaring skills?
(d) Riddled with inconsistencies.
2. What does Billy cry out a moment before his punishment is carried out?
(a) "Why has thou forsaken me?"
(b) "Be aware, all ye sinners!"
(c) "Handsomely done, my lads!"
(d) "God bless Captain Vere!"
3. According to the article about the Bellipotent, how is John Claggart murdered?
(a) He is poisoned by Billy Budd.
(b) He is hit by Billy Budd.
(c) He is strangled by Billy Budd.
(d) He is stabbed by Billy Budd.
4. What is John Claggart's position on the ship?
(b) Chief Mate.
5. How does the article about the Bellipotent view Billy's death?
(a) As proof of his weakness.
(b) As an unfortunate side effect of the keelhauling.
(c) As a justifiable punishment.
(d) As proof of his guilt.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why doesn't Captain Graveling want Billy to leave the ship?
2. Who is the only witness in the trial?
3. According to Melville, what makes sailors different from non-sailors?
4. When is Billy due to be executed?
5. In chapter 15, what does Billy think he should report to the captain?
This section contains 255 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)