|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 29.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is a "cat's paw"?
(a) A person who does another's dirty work.
(b) A part of a cat.
(c) The joint between the mainsail and the topsail.
(d) Slang for an anchor.
2. Which two characters are Claggart's messmates?
(a) Captain Vere and the master-at-arms.
(b) The armorer and the captain of the hold.
(c) The chief mate and the bosun.
(d) The master-at-arms and the chief mate.
3. Who is Squeak?
(a) The ship's cook.
(b) The bosun.
(c) Claggart's pet mouse.
(d) Claggart's secret accomplice.
4. What nickname does Billy's older friend give him?
(a) Billy Boy.
(c) Baby Budd.
(d) Prince William.
5. To what do most of the crew attribute the odd circumstances surrounding Billy's death?
(a) Supernatural forces.
(b) The weather.
(c) Mythical sea creatures.
(d) No logical explanation is found.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which character does Squeak play tricks on?
2. What event motivates Billy to excel in his duties?
3. Melville compares Billy's death to the death of which other person?
4. Which mutiny is referred to as "the Great Mutiny"?
5. Why doesn't Captain Graveling want Billy to leave the ship?
This section contains 211 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)