|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 24.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which character is deceived by Squeak's lies?
(c) Captain Vere.
(d) Lieutenant Ratcliffe.
2. What is a mutiny?
(a) A trial held at sea by the capain and three officers.
(b) A traditional sailor's dance.
(c) When subordinate sailors attempt to illegally sieze control of a ship.
(d) A legal election process in which the captain of a vessel is replaced.
3. How is John Claggart's appearance described in chapter eight?
(a) Handsome and strong with blue eyes and blond hair.
(b) Dark and swarthy with long black hair.
(c) Pale and effeminate with curly black hair.
(d) Pale and fat with dark red hair.
4. What is Billy's responsibility on board the ship?
(a) To maintain order on the lower gun decks.
(b) To handle the sails on the foremast.
(c) To plan the day's work and assign tasks to the deck crew.
(d) To be responsible for the ship's cargo and crew.
5. How does Melville characterize sailors in general?
(a) Childlike and trusting.
(b) Deceptive and vicious.
(c) Lazy and stupid.
(d) Irritable and aggressive.
Short Answer Questions
1. What event motivates Billy to excel in his duties?
2. Which character becomes very friendly towards Billy in chapter 17?
3. What one item changes the face of warfare?
4. What causes Billy to lose his voice on occasion?
5. What does another sailor try to give Billy in chapter 14?
This section contains 242 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)