|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 24.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is a drumhead court?
(a) Slang for a meeting in the captain's quarters.
(b) An informal legal hearing held at sea.
(c) A formal legal hearing in the presence of an admiral.
(d) Slang for a mob.
2. In chapter four, which sailor is hailed as the greatest of all time?
(a) Captain Graveling.
(b) Admiral Nelson.
(c) Captain Bligh.
(d) Captain Vere.
3. What is Billy's one weakness?
(a) He drinks.
(b) He gets seasick during rough weather.
(c) He loves women.
(d) He stutters.
4. How is discipline maintained on the Bellipotent?
(a) In a relaxed fashion, almost too relaxed for Admiral Nelson.
(b) Through a monetary system of rewards and penalties.
(c) Strictly, but with fair consideration to the welfare of the sailors.
(d) With unnecessary cruelty.
5. How does Billy react to Claggart in chapter 10?
(a) He hits Claggart in the face.
(b) He thinks Claggart likes him.
(c) He runs to the captain.
(d) He begins to curse and shout at Claggart.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Captain Vere's favorite hobby?
2. Why does Billy hesitate when asked about his knowledge of a potential insurrection?
3. Where does the first recorded mutiny of the British Navy occur?
4. In chapter 15, which character is Billy's confidant?
5. What sentence does the court render in chapter 23?
This section contains 237 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)