|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 24.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What elements of ship's life are mirrored in the world outside the ship?
(a) Life is unfair.
(b) People only obey when forced to do so.
(c) Storms are balanced with calm days.
(d) Terror rules the masses.
2. Why doesn't the chaplain try to intervene on Billy's behalf?
(a) He is afraid of the captain.
(b) Military law is more powerful than his religious influence.
(c) He feels that Billy deserves punishment.
(d) Because Billy does not talk to him.
3. How does Captain Vere treat Billy in chapter 22?
(a) With compassion.
(b) With contempt.
(c) He breates his behavior.
(d) He ignores Billy's presence.
4. What concerns the officers in chapter 20?
(a) The impending storms on the horizon.
(b) The manner in which Claggart dies suddenly.
(c) The manner in which the captain is handling Claggart's death.
(d) The morale of the crew.
5. Why is Billy on the uppermost deck in chapter 14?
(a) He is sleeping.
(b) He is on watch.
(c) He is smoking.
(d) He is mending the topsail.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who encourages the court to consider the death penalty during Billy's trial?
2. How does Claggart respond to the incident in chapter 10?
3. Who is Billy Budd?
4. Which two characters are Claggart's messmates?
5. Which types of historical figures are often compared to Billy?
This section contains 274 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)