|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 24.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which character is described in chapter 11 as being "down" on Billy?
(a) John Claggart.
(b) The Dansker.
(c) Captain Vere.
(d) Lieutenant Ratcliffe.
2. What event motivates Billy to excel in his duties?
(a) A hanging.
(b) His promotion.
(c) A scourging.
(d) A keelhauling.
3. In chapter 20, what does the surgeon want to do?
(a) Have a stiff drink.
(b) Follow standard procedure.
(c) Leave the ship.
(d) Bury Claggart at sea.
4. Why doesn't the chaplain try to intervene on Billy's behalf?
(a) He is afraid of the captain.
(b) He feels that Billy deserves punishment.
(c) Military law is more powerful than his religious influence.
(d) Because Billy does not talk to him.
5. Why does Melville claim that certain men are morally depraved?
(a) Because they are forced into depravity by their living conditions.
(b) Because they are not entirely sane.
(c) Because cruel treatment breeds cruelty.
(d) Because their licentious behavior makes them depraved.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does the Captain feel that Billy must be punished?
2. What does Captain Vere tell his crew in chapter 23?
3. How do the other sailors react to Claggart in chapter 10?
4. How does John Claggart earn his promotions?
5. What does the sailor in chapter 14 want Billy to join?
This section contains 293 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)