|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 24.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In chapter four, which naval commander is hailed as one of the greatest strategists of all time?
(a) Captain Bligh.
(b) Captain Graveling.
(c) Captain Vere.
(d) Admiral Nelson.
2. How does Admiral Nelson keep his sailors under control?
(a) Bribing them.
(b) The threat of death.
(c) Terrorizing them into submission.
(d) By winning their admiration.
3. How does Claggart die?
(a) Captain Vere shoots him.
(b) The valet stabs him.
(c) Billy hits him.
(d) He hangs himself.
4. Where is Billy confined in chapter 24?
(a) In the cargo hold.
(b) Between two guns.
(c) In the brig.
(d) In the captain's stateroom.
5. What is Billy's position on the ship?
(a) Chief Mate.
Short Answer Questions
1. In chapter 23, when is the crew called together?
2. How do Captain Vere's officers view their commander's seafaring skills?
3. Why does Melville claim that certain men are morally depraved?
4. Why is Billy reprimanded in chapter nine?
5. What does the chaplain give Billy in chapter 24?
This section contains 236 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)