|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 24.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is standard procedure in the event of a suspected murder at sea?
(a) Ice the victim and flog the accused.
(b) Allow the crew to deal with the accused.
(c) Call a court of officers, render and carry out judgement.
(d) Confine the accused and contact the admiral.
2. How does John Claggart earn his promotions?
(a) He blackmails his superiors.
(b) Through a series of bribes.
(c) Unbeknownst to the crew, he is related to the captian.
(d) Through his exemplary behavior and austere patriotism.
3. Who tells Billy of his sentence?
(a) Lieutenant Ratcliffe.
(b) Captain Vere.
(c) The admiral.
(d) The valet.
4. Why do personalities seem clash more aboard a ship?
(a) Sailors are usually tempremental in nature.
(b) Sailors live in close quarters for long periods of time.
(c) The stress of working for a harsh captain makes the crew irate.
(d) Weeks of seasickness makes the crew irritable.
5. Whom do the officers want to contact?
(a) The master-at-arms.
(b) The admiral.
(c) The Queen.
(d) The captain.
Short Answer Questions
1. What often causes a mutiny?
2. According to Melville, what makes sailors different from non-sailors?
3. What concerns the officers in chapter 20?
4. Who is Squeak?
5. What is Captain Vere's nickname?
This section contains 258 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)