|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 20.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How is John Claggart's appearance described in chapter eight?
(a) Pale and effeminate with curly black hair.
(b) Dark and swarthy with long black hair.
(c) Pale and fat with dark red hair.
(d) Handsome and strong with blue eyes and blond hair.
2. Which two groups of people does Melville compare in chapter 16?
(a) Sailors and Landsmen.
(b) Army soldiers and Naval sailors.
(c) Officers and Deckhands.
(d) Men and Women.
3. Who is Billy's father?
(a) Captain Bligh.
(b) He is a foundling, and doesn't know his father.
(c) George Budd, a merchant sailor.
(d) Captain Graveling.
4. Who is Squeak?
(a) Claggart's secret accomplice.
(b) The ship's cook.
(c) The bosun.
(d) Claggart's pet mouse.
5. What event motivates Billy to excel in his duties?
(a) A scourging.
(b) A hanging.
(c) A keelhauling.
(d) His promotion.
Short Answer Questions
1. In chapter 16, what does Billy refuse to believe?
2. Which character remains cheerful, despite clandestine attempts of persecution?
3. In chapter 20, what does the surgeon want to do?
4. What is Captain Vere's nickname?
5. What uncomfortable incident occurs in chapter 10?
This section contains 245 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)