|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 20.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Billy never do before?
(a) Speak to the captain.
(c) Tell a lie.
(d) Be associated with evil.
2. What is a mutiny?
(a) When subordinate sailors attempt to illegally sieze control of a ship.
(b) A legal election process in which the captain of a vessel is replaced.
(c) A trial held at sea by the capain and three officers.
(d) A traditional sailor's dance.
3. What concerns the surgeon in chapter 20?
(a) The manner in which the captain is handling Claggart's death.
(b) The wounds to Billy's hand.
(c) The morale of the crew.
(d) The manner in which Claggart dies suddenly.
4. Why does Melville claim that certain men are morally depraved?
(a) Because they are not entirely sane.
(b) Because cruel treatment breeds cruelty.
(c) Because they are forced into depravity by their living conditions.
(d) Because their licentious behavior makes them depraved.
5. In chapter four, which naval commander is hailed as one of the greatest strategists of all time?
(a) Captain Vere.
(b) Admiral Nelson.
(c) Captain Bligh.
(d) Captain Graveling.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is responsible for the tricks being played on Billy?
2. Which character becomes very friendly towards Billy in chapter 17?
3. Where is Billy taken in chapter 19?
4. What event motivates Billy to excel in his duties?
5. What is a "cat's paw"?
This section contains 252 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)