|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 20.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Melville claim that certain men are morally depraved?
(a) Because they are not entirely sane.
(b) Because they are forced into depravity by their living conditions.
(c) Because cruel treatment breeds cruelty.
(d) Because their licentious behavior makes them depraved.
2. How do the other sailors react to Claggart in chapter 10?
(a) They laugh the incident off as a joke.
(b) They are fearfully silent.
(c) They erupt into a violent melee.
(d) They quickly man their stations.
3. Which two characters are Claggart's messmates?
(a) Captain Vere and the master-at-arms.
(b) The master-at-arms and the chief mate.
(c) The armorer and the captain of the hold.
(d) The chief mate and the bosun.
4. To what does Melville attribute the general attitude of most sailors?
(a) Their lives are always controlled.
(b) They must assume control of their lives at an early age.
(c) The sea attacts the worst types of individuals.
(d) Living in close quarters warps a person's character.
5. Which character is the hammock-boy sent to find in chapter 18?
(a) Lieutenant Ratcliffe.
(b) John Claggart.
(c) Billy Budd.
(d) The Dansker.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Captain Vere cited for in West Indian waters?
2. How does the chase in chapter 18 end?
3. Where is Billy taken in chapter 19?
4. What does the Bellipotent chase in chapter 18?
5. In chapter 16, what does Billy refuse to believe?
This section contains 271 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)