|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 20.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Claggart die?
(a) The valet stabs him.
(b) Captain Vere shoots him.
(c) Billy hits him.
(d) He hangs himself.
2. In Chapter Three, while informing the reader about the histories of the sea, what does the narrator say about the sailors who mutinied against their captains in the historic mutinies that are mentioned?
(a) That they were never forgiven.
(b) That they were quickly overpowered.
(c) That they redeemed themselves.
(d) That they died at sea.
3. What does the narrator explain is the true nature of the relationship between Billy Budd and John Claggart?
(a) Billy Budd is in love with John Claggart.
(b) John Claggart is in love with Billy Budd.
(c) John Claggart despises Billy Budd.
(d) Billy Budd despises John Claggart.
4. What does the narrator state about John Claggart's character that differs from the other sailors' perception of him?
(a) John Claggart is emotionally sensitive.
(b) John Claggart is a deep intellectual.
(c) John Claggart is devoutly religious.
(d) John Claggart is a hard worker.
5. What does Billy Budd swear after witnessing the punishment of the young sailor?
(a) That he will one day become a punisher.
(b) That he will never find himself in that position.
(c) That he will punish the punishers.
(d) That he will save the young sailor.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which character is killed at the Battle of Trafalgar?
2. Where does the first recorded mutiny of the British Navy occur?
3. What does the informant tell the Captain that Billy is using to his advantage in planning the mutiny?
4. What is Captain Vere's nickname?
5. Which word best describes Dansker's physicality?
This section contains 285 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)