|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 20.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In chapter two, how does Billy react to his new shipmates?
(a) He is sad and gloomy.
(b) He is afraid of the older sailors.
(c) He is cheerful and friendly.
(d) He is easily angered.
2. How does John Claggart earn his promotions?
(a) Unbeknownst to the crew, he is related to the captian.
(b) Through his exemplary behavior and austere patriotism.
(c) He blackmails his superiors.
(d) Through a series of bribes.
3. What event motivates Billy to excel in his duties?
(a) A hanging.
(b) His promotion.
(c) A keelhauling.
(d) A scourging.
4. In chapter 15, which character is Billy's confidant?
(a) Lieutenant Ratcliffe.
(b) Red Whiskers.
(c) John Claggart.
(d) The Dansker.
5. What type of personal life does Captain Vere lead?
(a) Bitter and morose.
(b) One filled with many friends and jovialty.
(c) One filled with a just a few close friends.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is a "cat's paw"?
2. What does Billy threaten to do to the sailor in chapter 14?
3. What does Andrew Marvell create that commemorates Captain Vere?
4. Which act does Claggart believe is an intentional attempt to offend him?
5. Which character is the hammock-boy sent to find in chapter 18?
This section contains 242 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)