|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 20.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When does the incident in chapter 10 occur?
2. Why does the captain ask Claggart to confront Billy?
(a) To see which man is telling the truth.
(b) Confronting Billy breaks the captain's heart.
(c) Because he is afraid of Billy.
(d) To see if Claggart is brave enough for promotion.
3. What does Billy threaten to do to the sailor in chapter 14?
(a) Throw him overboard.
(b) Stab him with a paring knife.
(c) Give him a hug.
(d) Tie him up.
4. Why does Billy join the British navy?
(a) He wants to defend his country.
(b) He is conscripted into service.
(c) His father is a naval Captain.
(d) His best friend is joining up and convinces him to follow.
5. What is John Claggart's position on the ship?
(d) Chief Mate.
Short Answer Questions
1. In chapter 15, which character appears to be conspiring to destroy Billy's character?
2. What is Captain Vere's favorite hobby?
3. What is Billy and Claggart's relationship like after they begin working together on the Bellipotent?
4. How do the other sailors react to Claggart in chapter 10?
5. Why does Melville claim that certain men are morally depraved?
This section contains 275 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)