|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 20.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. To what does Melville attribute the general attitude of most sailors?
(a) They must assume control of their lives at an early age.
(b) Their lives are always controlled.
(c) Living in close quarters warps a person's character.
(d) The sea attacts the worst types of individuals.
2. How do the other sailors react to Claggart in chapter 10?
(a) They erupt into a violent melee.
(b) They are fearfully silent.
(c) They laugh the incident off as a joke.
(d) They quickly man their stations.
3. Which types of books does Captain Vere prefer?
(a) Technical manuals and Mathematical theorems.
(b) Biography, History and Classical authors.
(c) Shakespearean dramas and Romance novels.
(d) Greek mythology and seafaring stories.
4. What is Billy's responsibility on board the ship?
(a) To be responsible for the ship's cargo and crew.
(b) To plan the day's work and assign tasks to the deck crew.
(c) To handle the sails on the foremast.
(d) To maintain order on the lower gun decks.
5. Whom do the officers want to contact?
(a) The admiral.
(b) The master-at-arms.
(c) The captain.
(d) The Queen.
Short Answer Questions
1. In chapter 17, how does Claggart react when he and Billy suddenly meet?
2. In chapter four, which sailor is hailed as the greatest of all time?
3. What does Andrew Marvell create that commemorates Captain Vere?
4. Which character remains cheerful, despite clandestine attempts of persecution?
5. What attitude does Captain Vere gain from his studies?
This section contains 300 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)