|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 20.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Melville claim that certain men are morally depraved?
(a) Because they are forced into depravity by their living conditions.
(b) Because they are not entirely sane.
(c) Because their licentious behavior makes them depraved.
(d) Because cruel treatment breeds cruelty.
2. Which country is described as ruling the seas?
(d) The United States.
3. In chapter 14, what does Billy say to the sailor?
(a) He whoops and shouts for joy.
(b) He whispers his consent.
(c) He screams in anger.
(d) He stutters a refusal.
4. Who is Squeak?
(a) The bosun.
(b) Claggart's pet mouse.
(c) The ship's cook.
(d) Claggart's secret accomplice.
5. In chapter 18, which character reports suspicious behavior of a sailor to Captain Vere?
(a) John Claggart.
(b) The Dansker.
(c) Billy Budd.
(d) Lieutenant Ratcliffe.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the Bellipotent chase in chapter 18?
2. Which famous character does the Victory's quarterdeck decoration commemorate?
3. What appears to end in chapter 17?
4. Why is Billy reprimanded in chapter nine?
5. What is Captain Vere's favorite hobby?
This section contains 221 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)